Rich's At 202 Tuam St.

trymahjong

I heard Irwin Palchick is opening it

I mentioned this a while back on some other Midtown topic. This looks like it will be "Irv's" bar. The building is in the 250 block of Tuam at Helena (north side). It's across the street from what used to be Zorba's and then later an after-hours club. I think it housed a printing company, or something like that, previously. This club will be dangerously close to the border of Midtown and Montrose, so it'll probably be a mixed (gay/straight) crowd, judging from their use of the word 'Fabulous' on the link listed previously.

Also, it looks like that the previous Manager of Meteor is associated with this endeavor.

I mentioned this a while back on some other Midtown topic. This looks like it will be "Irv's" bar. The building is in the 250 block of Tuam at Helena (north side). It's across the street from what used to be Zorba's and then later an after-hours club. I think it housed a printing company, or something like that, previously. This club will be dangerously close to the border of Midtown and Montrose, so it'll probably be a mixed (gay/straight) crowd, judging from their use of the word 'Fabulous' on the link listed previously.

Also, it looks like that the previous Manager of Meteor is associated with this endeavor.

Below is the post from the other forum--but I don't think this is the location I was curious about-- 202 tuam--is the address of FBAR--on the same side of the street as late nite pie-----

Okay, so it's on the border of Midtown/Montrose, on Tuam across the street from Late-Nite Pie. The building is an old printing company or something.

The owner of Pub Fiction brought renderings of the building to a Midtown Planning meeting awhile back. If plans haven't changed since then... the building is going to be awesome w/ a nice entrance on the corner w/ columns. It will be multi story (I think 2 or 3) with a roof bar thing w/ parking in the back. It will be built to the sidewalk (I think he's going to even widen the sidewalk some and add lighting) so it will fit in perfectly with the neighborhood

The owner of Pub Fiction brought renderings of the building to a Midtown Planning meeting awhile back. If plans haven't changed since then... the building is going to be awesome w/ a nice entrance on the corner w/ columns. It will be multi story (I think 2 or 3) with a roof bar thing w/ parking in the back. It will be built to the sidewalk (I think he's going to even widen the sidewalk some and add lighting) so it will fit in perfectly with the neighborhood

Edited by trymahjong

The place across the street from LNP is the old Bunch Company, a tool store for lineman and tree surgeons stuff like that. It has been empty for several years now. "Hue" is/was on the opposite side of the street and 2 blocks west. Does this mean 2 different new bars?

The place across the street from LNP is the old Bunch Company, a tool store for lineman and tree surgeons stuff like that. It has been empty for several years now. "Hue" is/was on the opposite side of the street and 2 blocks west. Does this mean 2 different new bars?

Yes-- two different bars

Here we go. It's 202 Tuam. Swanky is not a term that I'd associate with this building.

http://www.29-95.com...ubs/story/f-bar

to refer to that part of tuam as "ugly" does a disservice to the definition of the word.

I've been by there quite a bit over the years, and I've seen other streets with dilapidated shotgun shacks look better. Its a very odd place for a club, and this area would be better suited for a more residential/retail use.

as long as you nuke it from orbit first.

• 1 month later...

Why was it named "TUAM" anyway?

Holy hell.. I finally get to use all that Latin i was forced to study in high school.

*clears throat*

Tuam: Is a form of the pronoun Tuus, meaning You. It is in the singular, feminine, and accusative form.

Woohoo.. education not wasted.

Edited by Highway6

They were supposed to have a VIP opening last week -- I havent talked to anyone that went though -- don't know if it happened or not...

The Avondale residents gathering was to be held there Tuesday but there was a delay in getting everything finished--arrangements were made by them to have it at cafe Bello--avondale thought everything was great-- did the VIP happen?

The Avondale residents gathering was to be held there Tuesday but there was a delay in getting everything finished--arrangements were made by them to have it at cafe Bello--avondale thought everything was great-- did the VIP happen?

We just stopped by and got a tour -- they are having a Friends and Family opening tonight......then soft opening next week...the place has undergone an incredible renovation inside -- I remember the old Insomnia...you wouldnt know it's the same place (thankfully)....

Holy hell.. I finally get to use all that Latin i was forced to study in high school.

*clears throat*

Tuam: Is a form of the pronoun Tuus, meaning You. It is in the singular, feminine, and accusative form.

Woohoo.. education not wasted.

How would you use it in a sentence?

tonite was the soft opening--

the renovations are fabulous! mega money must have been spent and the result was mega worth it--- anyone who visited the old "Hue" will be surprised it's the same venue-

It's come a long way since Big Shirley's House of Blue Lights.

The VIP party-reception was last week. Thursday, if I recall correctly. I'd been on the previous Friday, as well. They really have done a great job on the interior and outdoor area. The fire feature on the patio is really cool. The chandelier inside is to die for.

Okay, for the restrooms, if you can't figure out "Guys & Dolls" or "Dolls & Guys", you've had too much to drink.

• 2 months later...

How would you use it in a sentence?

Use it in a song!

In the merry month of May, From my home I started,

Left the girls of Tuam, Nearly broken hearted,

Saluted father dear, Kissed my darlin' mother,

Drank a pint of beer, My grief and tears to smother,

Then off to reap the corn, And leave where I was born,

I cut a stout blackthorn, To banish ghost and goblin,

In a brand new pair of brogues, I rattled o'er the bogs,

And frightened all the dogs,On the rocky road to Dublin.

From The Brobdignagian Bards, although every Irish group from The Clancy Brothers to The Dropkick Murphys has sung The Rocky Road to Dublin.

• Like 1