Memories Of Astroworld

Redscare, not that I expect AstroWorld to be a priority for most Houstonians, but the fact that you said most Houstonians don't care, actually says a lot. Like it has been stated already, AstroWorld is one of Houstons TRUE legitimate tourist attractions, and most of our citizens do not care what condition it is in. It seems my point about Houston always being a step behind is becoming more clear by the week and convincing me even more that Houston deserves the "after thought" treatment it recieves in most cases.

Let's just say, one, two, three, and possibly even more have contacted Six Flags Corporate regarding AstroWorld. Some may have even gone to the extreme of signing a petition created by other concerned citizens 2 1/2 years ago basically begging for investement in our park. I don't know, it's possible some may have decided to boycott until there is evidence the park is treated better. Who knows?

A big issue is Six Flags does not HAVE to invest in AstroWorld. AstroWorld is a "worker" park for the entire Six Flags system. Six Flags is required by LAW to invest into the parks in Dallas and Atlanta, and others like Great America in Chicago, and Great Adventure in New Jersey are big money makers and they have to keep people coming back every year, which explains why they get huge mulitmillion dollar investments. Parks like Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Marine World, and Six Flags Magic Mountain in Los Angeles, have direct competition in their cities, so they have to be competitive in those markets. Then, there are parks like AstroWorld, and Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, and Six Flags Darien Lake, and Six Flags Elitch Gardens in Denver, where there is no other competition on top of being severly landlocked, which means there is no room for huge multimillion dollar investments, which means you don't make revenue hand over fist, which leads to lack of investment, which causes the parks to deteriorate. Couple that with lack of new rides for years on end (especially for AstroWorld which had a history of getting new attractions practically every year), and people will loose interest. It's not like Houston doesn't have the population in it's metro area and places like east Texas and West Louisiana to support the park.

Six Flags should invest in the park with rides/shows/ maintenance etc., to gain interst once again in Houston.

Also IMO they should impose a code of conduct and enforce it, so those that visit the park won't have their experience ruined by unruly patrons.

But again, Six Flags doesn't HAVE to invest in AstroWorld, and they know it. So if they don't invest in the park for the next 10 years, it really won't make a difference because there is no one in Houston , or the surrounding area, to compete for the dollars, so there is no threat. Plus as long as AstroWorld is classified as a "Feeder"/ "worker" park for the company, don't expect much change. That "Feeder" role sucks because it means AstroWorld's purpose is bascially just to generate money to invest in the other parks. It would be so much better if whatever money each park made, that's what was invested back into each park, but that is not Six Flags system.

My only hope is for another Amusement park in the area in the future.

*note* Expect more attractions at SplashTown over the next few years. If you guys noticed, this year was the first year Splashtown has had a new attraction in 7 years (I think it's called the Tornado). Well, last year it was announced Schlitterbahn would be coming to the Houston area and would open in the Spring of 05'. Well, for a number of reasons, including the big fire at the site, Schlitterbahn will not be opeing until this coming winter. Lesson here...........competition will keep Six Flags SplashTown on it's toes in terms of investment and upkeep. Could the same happen for AstroWorld if another park was introduced to the Houston area? Would Six Flags care about AstroWorld then......you bet your bottom dollar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an aside, I heard this morning on Washington D.C.'s SportsTalk 980 (WTEM) that the Redskins' owner, Daniel Snider, is trying to buy Six Flags and is trying to hiring away a bigwig of ESPN to help with his new entertainment venture--of which Six Flags would be a part of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know they closed Astroworld because they don't want the added traffic at the Reliant Complex, but I think for Labor Day at least they should have it open for all those staying at Reliant, it is in walking distance, and could be a temporary distraction.

Given the traffic congestion around Reliant Park yesterday, it's probably for the best that Six Flags closed the park for the weekend. Yes it would have been something for people at the Astrodome to do but unless Six Flags was willing to offer free or greatly discounted admission to people here as a result of Katrina, it probably wouldn't have mattered. I doubt most of the people staying in Reliant Park have the funds to pay for admission to an amusement park right now.

I think the original plan was to give evacuees free admission this past weekend. But really, if you had just come out of the conditions these people were experiencing, would you want to go ride the roller coasters?

I'm sure the main things these people wanted were a shower, a hot meal, a dry, clean place to sleep, and to find the rest of their family. Sweating in the hot sun, lining up for rides, and spending $$ for cokes & lunch were probably not high on any evacuee's priority list.

It was a nice thought though!

• 2 weeks later...
Is Astroworld outdated? Hell YES!!!

Astroworld definitely needs some updating. Hell- maybe revamping alltogether. I'm really banking on that with the new Schlitterbahn opening in Galveston. One thing Houston is is afraid to try new things. And riding in some parts of the city, one can easily decipher that. I hope Houston starts to realize that times do change and doing the same thing doesn't fit for times today.

Astroworld definitely needs to replace some of those rusted out looking roller coasters and slides. DJ Lawrence and KimberlySayWhat, i totally agree. DJ hit it on the head talking about Houstonians should not be portrayed as being metiocre. Good catch!!! That's why its time to start fixing up things like Astroworld in and around our city.

This is a good idea because Houstons at its largest in Texas to rebuild or change a little of Astroworld. I do remember I have post pond a new topic ti this situation in July and someone closed it out of say no that its fine how it is I couldn't remeber who closed it. :o But I like what u have to say its like what i was saying. And for them to find a larger land area for a larger and better park. Astroworld is a small Six Flags by itself and Arlington just have enough room space areajust for any ride! like the Titan!!!! ;)

• 1 month later...

I was at Astroworld today, and I talked to every single staff member (basically) to understand why its really going down. Alot said, that the main reason, was because Reliant Park won't renue there Parking Contract, and Six Flags will have no place for the people to park. I asked them, why not just build a super parking complex? And they asked "Where?". All the land Six Flags owns is used up tight. They say the land is worth much, but Its not PRIME realestate, is it? Its not like right next to Downtown, Hermann Park, or the Galleria? The land around Reliant Park isn't such a hot spot, is it?

The park is profitiable, and its a shame its going down. I rode all the rides I could today, and I'm sad to see it go.

I think the best photo for the Houston Skyline would be about 40 stories up from where astroworld is now, it shows everything. The view from the Dungeon Drop is great!

They say the land is worth much, but its not PRIME realestate, is it? Its not like right next to Downtown, Hermann Park, or the Galleria? The land around Reliant Park isn't such a hot spot, is it?

You're kidding right?

I was at Astroworld today, and I talked to every single staff member (basically) to understand why its really going down.

there is another thread on this board with some excellent comments on this subject.

another great source would be: http://www.sixflagshouston.com/forums/

it has posts by current/former employees and astroworld/rollercoaster addicts with all sorts of info on the park & it's closing...

They say the land is worth much, but Its not PRIME realestate, is it? Its not like right next to Downtown, Hermann Park, or the Galleria? The land around Reliant Park isn't such a hot spot, is it?

Two miles from the Medical Center, three miles from Hermann Park, located on the LRT at the future intersection with the Fort Bend commuter rail, as well as next to a major freeway?

Yeah, it's worth a lot.

Oh, I left out that it's 3 miles from Rice U, Rice Village and West U, as well.

Tommorow will be the first day that Houston doesn't have a Themepark in a long time. I keep forgetting that its not just AstroWorld leaving its also the Water park next to it (is it Splashtown or WaterWorld). Hopefully If we all complain enough the city will get an offer for a new park soon. I think by next Spring when people realize that this is usually the time that they go to Astroworld, the news will start showing proposals for a new park and start bringing up the issue again.

Tommorow will be the first day that Houston doesn't have a Themepark in a long time. I keep forgetting that its not just AstroWorld leaving its also the Water park next to it (is it Splashtown or WaterWorld). Hopefully If we all complain enough the city will get an offer for a new park soon. I think by next Spring when people realize that this is usually the time that they go to Astroworld, the news will start showing proposals for a new park and start bringing up the issue again.

Its waterworld next door to Astroworld, I belive its going down with it. But Six Flags bought Splashtown (Up in Spring, off of I-45 @ Louetta Road) a couple seasons ago (1, or 2?) and that will remain open. Even though they just added one ride, which stinks.

Sorry about the land thingie, but the area around it isn't a booming sector, so I was just hypothetically speaking, and I'm sad its closing...

Archived