Memories Of Astroworld

I'm not sure 50 people in a McDonalds parking lot counts as a "huge gang brawl at Astroworld", though I can't wait for the breathless 'Big Story' on Channel 2.

We had bigger Klein/Cy-Fair fights at Mr. Gatti's on FM 1960 in the late 70s. Had a pretty juicy one at the Old Tin Hall one Saturday night as well. I guess since we were all white kids, it wasn't a "gang brawl".

Aahhh, the good old days.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Six Flags Astroworld :D

Closing and removing rides

Willing to have a new Astroworld at an new location

by the way closing the Astrodome

They could use land to have a newer and best Six Flags of Astroworld near the Gulf of Mexico with the park inside one huge dome and part of it along the beach near south of Texas City.

Or west of Houston near Katy, Texas

With more rides and a bigger sized park like Magic Mountain in a HUGE spiral dome of lights, palm trees, waterfalls, sea creatures to see in tunnels and and things like universal studio would have.

SIX FLAGS -2000 Astroworld

http://www.themeparkbrochures.com/2000/sfaw2000_1.html

Six Flags AstroWorld

http://www.joyrides.com/sfaw/full/texas_tornado9.htm

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/photos/Various-Park-Photos

PLANS FOR THE NEW LOCATION MAPS

*MAP OF NEW LOCATION (Pretty small to see)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/dom...newlocation.bmp

*Interchange plan for this park of Exit 751 to an 751A-B

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/dom...forthispark.bmp

Plans for the park (sorry to hard to see)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/dom...thisnewpark.bmp

^^

Would it still be astroworld though if it is south of Texas City?

Why not along the Katy Freeway directly between Katy and Houston? You know, between West Oaks and Katy Mills. Katy's getting bigger anyway, and there's MAD space there, but not for long.

Another good place would be near Clear Lake or Ellington Field. Someplace directly between Houston and Galveston. Make this place at least the size of Disney World Resorts or Universal Studio Orlando, yo

This is my book on AstroWorld.

First of all, to answer the question, yes the park is outdated, although it is good for something.

I also worked at AstroWorld in another life and those days were different than they are today. But even then, AstroWorld was sort of like a stepchild. AstroWorld was in much better shape when Six Flags only consisted of only 7 parks. It was even ok when Time Warner bought the company. However, when Time Warner sold the parks, it has been downhill every since.

Despite what some may say, space is a issue for AstroWorld. It is landlocked something terrible and has actually gotten smaller since I worked there because The city took most of the employee parking lot and part of the Souther Star Ampitheater to expand West Bellfort road.

A intersting fact is AstroWorld did indeed own a significant amount of land that surrounds it but sold it over the years to that car dealership, and some other businesses behind it. Now they are in a situation where they can't go anywhere, although they bought a few acres back from the dealership but used the building for more administration.

On a related note, not too long ago The Houston Rodeo made an offer for AstroWorld that included 250 free acres in Sugarland. The Rodeo wanted the land, so basically all they would have to do is cross the bridge onto the site. Needless to day Six Flags refused.

Also, in the Theme Park industry AstroWorld is considered to be a sort of a laughing stock now, which is really a shame considering it had a really glorious past. The Texas Cyclone was considered the number one rollercoaster for quite a few years in the 80's undisputed. AstroWorld was chosen as the location for the VERY FIRST river rapids ride in the world (Thunder River). AstroWorld was also the chosen location for the very first Suspended Roller Coaster (XLR8). It would consistently get new rides, and the park was in much better shape. Those days are gone now and unfortunately there is no evidence those types of days will return.

In the circles of Six Flags, AstroWorld is known as a "feeder" park, which basically means, it's only function at this point is to feed money into the company, whether money is invested back into it or not. The revenue that AstroWorld makes basically goes into the company pot, and from there money is distributed. Unfortunately, AstroWorld has consistently been at the bottom of the totem pole on those decisions.

AstroWorld is not a huge revenue maker which is reason why it's ignored compared to most of it's brothers and sisters. But, there are reasons for that. AW managment made some really bad decisions a few years ago and expanded too far too fast. They lost a lot of money. But also during this time, the decision was made to only invest in the their biggest revenue makers, which was only 4 parks. So those parks got HUGE multimillion dollar investments for a couple of years while the smaller parks went without. Those parks got to the point where they visibly became neglected and the years without new attractions kept people away. Because after all, what is the main reason people go to theme parks.........the rides. And when you don't add new rides for years on end, people begin to "forget" about the park. The same thing happened to SplashTown. Missing tiles, sand at the bottom of the pools, chipping paint on the buildings, slides closed due to lack of money for repair, and lack of new attractions were all factors in why Splashtown also became less popular. By the time Six Flags realized they had made a mistake, it was too late.

Those things on top of AstroWorld not having any competition in the Houston market and Six Flags not being FORCED to invest into the park by law, like it was at Six Flags in Dallas and Six Flags in Atlanta, took AstroWorld down the tubes. Six Flags knows if they do not invest in AstroWorld, Houstonians will continue to go because there is no alternative. Which leads me to Tillman Fertitta, Bob McNair Mattress Mack, and a couple of other wealthy Houstonians to gain a interest in the theme park busines :).

Houston has never experienced really big multimillion dollar rides, so we really don't know what we are missing. That's why so many of us are in the dark about just how much Houston is missing out on. Once again, Houston is at the bottom of the totem pole and are a step behind.

I would love some of our wealthy residents with vision to create a Texas Themed park out 59 near Sugarland or out 288 past Pearland, that is full of large rides, heavily themed areas, a GIGANTIC kiddie land with petting zoo, huge physical playland area, over the top themeing, and at least 30 kiddie rides. Catering to only the thrill seekers can come back to haunt you. Families must have a area for kids where they can spend most of their visit. The rest of the park can be large enough to have rides like those at Magic Mountain, Cedar Point, and Great Adventure.

Until AstroWorld get some competition, they are not going to make AstroWorld the best it can be because they don't HAVE to, and they know it.

Until AstroWorld get some competition, they are not going to make AstroWorld the best it can be because they don't HAVE to, and they know it.

They don't HAVE to improve Astroworld. They NEEEEEEEDDD to improve AstroWorld if Six Flags wants Houston or the whole state of Texas to consider them competent. They won't last 5 more summers without an extreme makeover.

I have two comments:

1. I saw the Grateful Dead there in 1985. My most memorable experience there. It was a great park in it's heydays of the 70's-80's. I haven't been in over a decade so I won't comment on what it's like now.

2. Even though I haven't been in over a decade anyway, as long as they continue to use those annoying ads with the old guy I will not go there out of principle.

They don't HAVE to improve Astroworld. They NEEEEEEEDDD to improve AstroWorld if Six Flags wants Houston or the whole state of Texas to consider them competent. They won't last 5 more summers without an extreme makeover.

I know it and you know they NEEEEEEEDDDD to improve, but most Houstonians don't, know it. Most Houstonians aren't really aware how AstroWorld has been treated compared to many of the other Six Flags parks and what goes on. They don't realize Houston hasn't seen a coaster 6 1/2 years, while our neighbors to the north and west have. They don't realize when our neighbor to the north got a $15 million dollar ride expansion package 3 years ago, Houston got a $50,000 maintenance package for the ENTIRE YEAR!!!!!! Houstonians don't know why Taz's Texas Tornado, one of the best and most popular rides in the park, sat idle for 2 years instead of being fixed, and then shipped off to another park in California. Do they know WHY the Astro Needle was removed, and still hasn't been replaced?

But even if they did know how much Houston really does get the "shaft" by Six Flags, it probably still wouldn't matter because, again, there is no alternative. We don't have Sea World to compete with to keep us on our toes like in San Antonio. All of the competition AstroWorld had has been bought by Six Flags in All directions. Fiesta Texas and That park in New Orleans (I forget the name) were bought by Six Flags, thereby knocking out all nearby competition. They even bought Splashtown which was competition for WaterWorld, and this year is the first attraction they've had since Six Flags bought them 7 years ago, which was unheard of before the buy out.

Once again, I think our only hope is to have a couple of our wealthy citizens pool their money and invest in a fantastic theme park that offers things Six Flags does not. They can build one ride at a time and charge for individual rides until they have enough rides to make it a "pay at the door" type park like Six Flags and Disney.

Hey, I just thought of something. One of the biggest complaints about Disney parks is, besides the obvious crowds, is the fact that they don't have enough thrill rides. And ironically enough, one of the biggest complaints from families that go to Six Flags parks is they don't have enough rides for families and kids and there are too many thrill rides. Tillman and the Houston investors could build a park with a lot of both. The best part about Six Flags is it's thrill rides, and the best thing about Disney is it's INCREDIBLE Themeing, and it's attractions for kids. Why not Build a Texas themed park that combines the two?

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

I haven't been since a graduation party in 1978.

Many Houstonians may not know Six Flags' condition, but it may be important to realize it is because many of us do not care. Those that do care should direct their ire to the corporate headquarters in Oklahoma.

Now that PIXAR has seperated from Disney how about a Pixar themed park if not area.  If this "other than Six Flags" theme park  was to happen it would be nice to have a theme or charecters people around the country or world would recognise. Any ideas anyone?

Dude, that's a GENIOUS idea. Can imagine if there was a theme park in Houston Themed by Pixar AND Landrys?! I think if Tillman pushed for it, it very much could be done.

Somebody's gotta do SOMETHING to help make Houston a legitimate tourist attraction

Six Flags Astroworld

NOTICE:

Houston is the largest city in Texas

but with the smallest Six Flags in Texas

and maybe in the U.S. A.

* They otta build a newwer and larger Six Flags somewhere in the opening

Because I know its very hard to stand in line for one ride like a rollar coaster for 45 minutes in the hot sun of all the people there in that line waiting just for one ride and taking too much time of the day to spend at the park.

Houston has a population of more than half of Los Angeles as it continues to grow more rapidly that they otta proposed a new Astroworld in a larger land area and with enough people there to get around more easily and not standing in lines for hours per ride.

Thats not a bad idea. Who are the main animated charactors from Pixar? I know there's Woody & Buzz-light year. Whoelse though?

Couple that with Landry's ability to market & draw crowds, you could have a very successful venture.

The Toy story gang(woody Buzz light year) Bugs Life, Monsters INC., The Incredibles, Finding Nemo.... and soon to be released in June 2006 "Cars"

Pixar currently has a Co-production agreement with Disney. "Cars" is the last movie in this agreement. Pixar has no solid future plans to work with Disney.

So far all of Pixar's movies have been hits. Disney just assisted in the financing, marketing and distribution of the movies and merchandise. The creative process has soley been Pixar, now that they have their own money they don't need Disney.

And might just be looking for a theme park of their own.

The Toy story gang(woody Buzz light year) Bugs Life, Monsters INC., The Incredibles, Finding Nemo.... and soon to be released in June 2006 "Cars"

Pixar currently has a Co-production agreement with Disney. "Cars" is the last movie in this agreement. Pixar has no solid future plans to work with Disney.

So far all of Pixar's movies have been hits. Disney just assisted in the financing, marketing and distribution of the movies and merchandise.  The creative process has soley been Pixar, now that they have their own money they don't need Disney.

And might just be looking for a theme park of their own.

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure in Orlando is the best theme park and has the best thrill rides I've ever experienced collectively. A park of that SAME size is needed for Houston. Heck, couldn't Tillman get into the Resort biz, while Pixar did the rides?

Right now, AstroWorld is unsafe and embarrassing. Disney from the get-go made sure their ticket price was just high enough to keep the riff-raff out. In other words, when people visit Disney once a year or once a lifetime, they treat it with respect, look their best, and are on their best behavior. AstroWorld is just too cheap right now, especially with all the coupons they give away everywhere. AstroWorld needs to get their admission price back up. And if thins out the crowds, that's a good thing. If it decreases total revenue in the short run, it's probably still a good long-term investment because, with the riff-raff gone, it'll be a more valuable proposition for the consumer.

Or maybe they could just close the pit down if the higher price tag didn't work. No one needs a nasty, unsafe, ugly pit in town. We'd be better off with no major amusement park in town. That would open up the market for any newcomers like others have suggested for Tillman et al.

If Houston does something new, I think it needs to be something truly NEW. Maybe something with virtual reality rides. Maybe a combination of skate-park, laser tag arena, virtual reality ride park, and traditional amusement park. Maybe a 4 square mile world similar to Middle Earth from Lord of the Rings. Or how about one of those Renaissance Fairs...but with an actual castle? That might attract medieval fanatics from all over the country. Or how about a 500-acre wooded preserve with paths for golf carts with mounted paintball machine guns? That might become the paintball "mecca" of the country. Or how about a "Jurassic Park" with 50' tall robotic dinosaurs? People who liked the movie would be itching to experience the real thing. Or maybe something like that new Mission-Space ride at Disney, only an entire theme park based on space travel, and tie it in with NASA? It could have a dozen different worlds to explore...maybe they could be taken from Star Trek and that could be the corporate tie-in that helps fund it?

And if we give AstroWorld the boot, I say we make its replacement on or very near Galveston. Why not concentrate our tourism-related stuff together? With it all in once place, it makes it pack all that much more of a punch as a national tourist destination. Disney ain't got no beach. Imagine a Galveston with its indoor-outdoor Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, some huge new amusement park, and the darned beach. Now THAT would be someplace worth travelling a couple thousand miles to visit. Let Houstonians travel the extra 20 minutes for their fun if it puts the city on the national tourist map.

I like that idea of us creating an amusement park called Houston Architecture Info Forum World. We could split it into 2 "villages": Inner Loop World and Suburbia Town. Inner Loop World would feature such rides as the terror-inducing Runaway Light Rail complete with an autombile collision simulation. And Suburbia Town would feature nothing but a sprawl of miniature golf courses and smiling plastic figurine people waving at you.

I like that idea of us creating an amusement park called Houston Architecture Info Forum World.  We could split it into 2 "villages": Inner Loop World and Suburbia Town.  Inner Loop World would feature such rides as the terror-inducing Runaway Light Rail complete with an autombile collision simulation.  And Suburbia Town would feature nothing but a sprawl of miniature golf courses and smiling plastic figurine people waving at you.

We could also build incomplete rollercoasters that are constantly under construction, and have all the new attractions only built in the center of the park :-)

Just kidding, folks.

For real, though. I'm curious. Is Astroworld making enough revenue to stay afloat (I haven't been in H-Town 4 a while)? Because if not, Six Flags would have two choices. One: shut down the park for good. Two: Give the whole park a MASSIVE makeover and make it one of the best Six Flags theme parks in America ( I prefer two, but we'd then see how seriously they take their customers.)

Also, what can Houstonians do to improve Astroworld? After all, it's our biggest park, and if Astroworld was good enough for people around the world to create a buzz about, it wouldn't hurt us. (And it has nothing to do with riff-rats and street rats. They probably wouldn't go if the majority crowd going there were a posh family crowd anyway.)

My suggestion would be for Mayor White, city officials, and City Council members to make a push to the Six Flags administrators in Oklahoma to invest madly into building rides the world talked about (Bigger, longer, AND the world's fastest), possibly buying out the store to the right of Waterworld to expand BOTH parks, and giving Astroworld a more futuristic feel in terms of the stores in the park (you know, no more barns and cottages as gift shops. Make them posh and put actual money into those buildings.) City of Houston could even offer Astroworld incentives, like tax breaks or funding to revamp the landscape immediatly surrounding Astroworld/Waterworld.

I like that idea of us creating an amusement park called Houston Architecture Info Forum World.  We could split it into 2 "villages": Inner Loop World and Suburbia Town.  Inner Loop World would feature such rides as the terror-inducing Runaway Light Rail complete with an autombile collision simulation.  And Suburbia Town would feature nothing but a sprawl of miniature golf courses and smiling plastic figurine people waving at you.

:lol:

Archived