Memories Of Astroworld

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were people crying on the news last night. I felt like crying as well. I didn't frequent the park that much in the later years, but it is a part of my childhood as well. It would be nice if we got a new park, but I just don't know if I see that happening. Seems we do a lot of hoping and wishful thinking here and nothing really happens.

I was at Astroworld today, and I talked to every single staff member (basically) to understand why its really going down. Alot said, that the main reason, was because Reliant Park won't renue there Parking Contract, and Six Flags will have no place for the people to park.

That opinion is from employees who are repeating an excuse brought up by management as the reason. A better reason is that the parent company grew too quick, is in a serious debt hole, and needs to raise capital. Selling the land under Astroworld helps to solve that problem.

Hopefully If we all complain enough the city will get an offer for a new park soon. I think by next Spring when people realize that this is usually the time that they go to Astroworld, the news will start showing proposals for a new park and start bringing up the issue again.

Or they'll just go to San Antonio like the rest of us do.

How will they ever get all those permanant roller coasters moved out of there?

they aren't permanent..... the coasters are designed and shipped in sections... the sections are then bolted together on the site... foundations are poured for the ride and the tracks are attached to the foundation using huge bolts.... basically all they'll have to do is unbolt the rides and take the pieces apart...

Montrose,

The Astroworld land is prime, prime, prime real estate. It's not next to Downtown or the Galleria or Hermann Park, but it's located in an area that's starting to boom, but hasn't boomed so much that square footage is too high for developers and retailers.

And, it's right next to the rail line.

It's estimated that the market value for the land is $145 million.

The overall debt for Six Flag's as a company is $2 billion.

That's almost 10 percent of the company's overall debt taken care of just by selling Astroworld.

(Having said that, I'll miss Astroworld big time.)

Montrose,

The Astroworld land is prime, prime, prime real estate. It's not next to Downtown or the Galleria or Hermann Park, but it's located in an area that's starting to boom, but hasn't boomed so much that square footage is too high for developers and retailers.

And, it's right next to the rail line.

It's estimated that the market value for the land is $145 million.

The overall debt for Six Flag's as a company is $2 billion.

That's almost 10 percent of the company's overall debt taken care of just by selling Astroworld.

(Having said that, I'll miss Astroworld big time.)

Thanks, but a little late ;) I was already told I was wrong, but hearing people tell me I'm wrong might grow into a fetish by now.

lol :)

Thats alot of $$$

• 3 weeks later...

As Astroworld goes

bye bye!!!!!

Will this affect the population to grow in Houston without a theme park.

Will many many people are willing to still come and move to live in Houston. Is there still more to do in Houston than Dallas and Fort Worth.

As Astroworld goes

bye bye!!!!!

Will this affect the population to grow in Houston without a theme park.

Will many many people are willing to still come and move to live in Houston. Is there still more to do in Houston than Dallas and Fort Worth.

There are three other threads about this.

Why did you bump a two month old one?

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard a LOT of people on this forum say they thought the list that said Astroworld was one of the top 10 best theme parks in America was a joke. Here's your chance to say how much you love or hate Houston's largest theme park :D ...

Be Careful what you wish for... oh wait... nevermind...

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

If there's a better place for these, take me to it!

2000 ASTROWORLD MAP AND BROCHURE SCANS

Unfortunately, beyond this map of Astroworld and my prized Splashtown brochure, my historic Houston collection is pretty sparse. All I have is a map of the Galleria from 2003. :P

3054935218_0e49deea03_b.jpg

3054100415_ba179c5722_b.jpg

3054100737_3e51977b09_b.jpg

3054101053_d5c56d3f5f_b.jpg

AND OF COURSE....THE MAPS!

3054936220_9a33245174_b.jpg

3054103699_40a1a0b1b8_b.jpg

Please comment....

EDIT: The middle of the map got cut off. If you'd like to see what it was, click here for a grainer (but full) image of the map.

Excellent scan, and a nice contribution.

Interesting that ride #30, Taz's Texas Tornado is not mentioned in the map, but the ride is shown.

Nope, it's there. On the right said of the left part of the map where it says "Mexicana", look down to see 30.

• 5 months later...

Archived