Memories Of Astroworld

Hey! I just heard on Channel 13 that it was a power out at Astroworld today. People where stuck in the rides upside down, everything were shut down.

And I just was talking about how bad astroworld is, now this. It's going to be alot of lawsuits for astroworld.

Speaking as a person who has had the experience of being stuck on the peak of an Astroworld rollercoaster for over an hour (Taz Texas Tornado), I can honestly say that being in that situation sucks <_<

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Astroland in N.Y.? Never heard of that. Where'd they get "Astro". I thought that belonged to us. Although right now they can have it. :)

I remember Astroland from when I was a kid. I don't think I ever went there, but I remember their ads on TV every summer. Astroland is one of the old amusement parks at Coney Island. It may even be the last one. The PBS series "American Experience" did a show about it not too long ago.

It gets "Astro" from the era in which it was born. Astroland opened in 1962, when the fever for space exploration was burning. It probably gets the "land" part from other nearby amusement parks like Wonderland, Dreamland, etc... None of those exist today.

Great Website!

I miss the Alpine Sleigh Ride and the River of No Return.

Oh, and there is no way in hell that Astroworld is a top ten theme park. Maybe top ten least maintained. Six Flags Arlington is way ahead of Astroworld.

It gets "Astro" from the era in which it was born. Astroland opened in 1962, when the fever for space exploration was burning. It probably gets the "land" part from other nearby amusement parks like Wonderland, Dreamland, etc... None of those exist today.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

I'm still mad at Astroworld for getting rid of the Alpine Sleigh Ride. It was the perfect combination of coaster, cold air, and gnomes.

Old Astroworld

Great link! Astroworld was so cool and colorful back then. It had character. Seemed more Disney-esque. As I said, I haven't been in years, but from what I hear, nowdays it seems more like some carnival thrown together in a Fiesta store parking lot.

Memories of the Alpine Sleigh are hazy, but I can remember being terrifed to death of the thing (wasn't there an abominable snowman?)

Even after they closed the ride and turned it into an indoor playground I was scared to walk through it.

Man, I miss Astroworld. I wish they'd make improvments and clean it up.

Does anyone remember when Fright Fest was called Fright Nights? They turned the old jungle ride (in the period before it was Tital Wave) into a "Friday the 13th" boat ride. Scared me so bad.

Memories of the Alpine Sleigh are hazy, but I can remember being terrifed to death of the thing (wasn't there an abominable snowman?)

Even after they closed the ride and turned it into an indoor playground I was scared to walk through it.

My favorite part of it was that they had really cold air blowing on you when you entered the mountain. Then they had all the mechanical gnomes or elves or dwarves, or whatever they were. Then, just as soon as you got comfortable, it snapped you down the mountain at breakneck speed and continued the ride.

Even though that was over 20 years ago for me, it's like yesterday.

i really don't think astroworld is that bad. they could use some new real coasters, but i still think serial thriller is great, greezed lightnin is one of my favorites, and there's nothing like the ultra twister anywhere i've seen.

the only ride i find that is broken too often is the dungeon drop (when it is working, that view is amazing). i was stuck on taz tornado for an hour once (i got two free tickets out of it). i'm glad they got rid of that, but i would have preferred a new coaster rather then swat and that spinny ride (though they are unique).

i just went to busch gardens last week, it was fun, but they only had 5 coasters, and 3 of them sucked (the other 2, montu and gwazi were really good though). they are opening another one, but we just missed it by a few weeks - they really shouldn't advertize "Sheikra opening for the 2005 season" and "Opening May 2005" when its not opening until May 21st, that pissed me off. they do have the whole zoo aspect, so there's plenty to do, but that doesn't fall under 'amusement park' if you ask me.

i also went to islands of adventure last year, again, some great rides but nothing that would keep me coming back. the lines were way too long, and spiderman broke both times we tried to ride it, but that worked out to our advantage because people left and we waited it out (it was worth it).

i can't wait to hit up cedar point.

i agree astroworld can be pretty ghetto (the park and the clientelle), but wouldn't you rather have these kids spending the day there rather then finding something to do in the streets?

just my thoughts, i agree it needs some work, and i'm also surprised to see it make top 10, but i think its a decent park worth the visit once a year, especially since you can make a long day out of it with waterworld connected.

Ok, here is another site for all you people who, like me, are feeling nostalgic.

Astroworld Tribute

Scroll down to "Past Rides". I just read they closed down the old Dexter/Excalibur.

I guess that shows how often I go there. I rode that about 20 times last time I went because the line was so short. It was one of those classic herky jerky metal coasters

that was always second class after the Cyclone showed up, but was really fun.

Some good photos there too.

And here's why I'll probably never go back:

FRONT GATE PRICES 

General Admission  $41.99

Children Under 48"  $24.99

Holy Cow, have times changed.

I was talking with a friend about this and he mentioned that in the mid 70's he would get a seasonal pass for $19.00. He explained how different the park was then and that it was at one time in the top 4 nationally. He also said that the Texas Cyclone won top Roller coaster honors for several years as well.

Anybody know how accurate this is?

I showed my dad the pictures off the website of Astroworld. He said he used to manage the "Alpine Sleigh Ride"!!! OMG!!! Too funny! Then I showed him the uniforms and he laughed at what he had to wear back then. He also said someone had to get into the "Abomidable Snowman outfit" during the ride!!! LOL!! :P

LOL! I don't think he was the guy in the costume. I think he just managed the ride. My uncle worked at Astroworld too. I asked my dad what did he do? and my dad said he was a security guard. Okay this sounds bad but it reminds me all too much of (can't remember the name of it) that TV show with Ron Howard as a kid (whistling with fishing poles)..Mayberry is that it! LOL!

My uncle isn't like that but it kinda reminds me of that.

Its just interesting that my dad was a manager at Astroworld's one ride and yet at this point in his life (for the last 20 something years) he has been managing his own business. Funny how life seems to be setting you up for stuff like that!

• 2 weeks later...

I neither love or hate Astroworld. I want to love it and I don't want it to be the best theme park in Houston, but rather the best and biggest theme park in Texas. I just watched a show on the Travel Channel with celebs reminiscing about their childhood summer trips. A couple of them mentioned Six Flags Over Texas. I wish it could have been Astroworld. I want Astroworld to be the best! :)

Archived