Glenbrook Valley Historic District Designation

rps324

Sorry to hijack a bit here. I am current looking at homes in Glenbrook Valley and I was curious at to the noise level from Hobby Airport. How many fly overs do you think occur daily and do the planes ever take off directly over Glenbrook Valley.

I ask since my mother-inlaw has TMJ and the loud noise causes her pain , which is why she is unable to buy in Garden Villas.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hijack a bit here. I am current looking at homes in Glenbrook Valley and I was curious at to the noise level from Hobby Airport. How many fly overs do you think occur daily and do the planes ever take off directly over Glenbrook Valley.

I ask since my mother-inlaw has TMJ and the loud noise causes her pain , which is why she is unable to buy in Garden Villas.

i've lived either north or south of hobby for my entire life. Noise will always be there and will be getting worse as the expansion of the north/south runway is approved. Land acquisition is being done now. I've lived in the area so long that it really doesn't bother me. I will say that the noise changes depending on prevalent wind direction. For instance when wind is coming from the north, the neighborhoods south of hobby get even more noise. And vice versa when wind is coming from the south, for take off, planes head into wind. i.e. more engine noise to the north.

I currently live in Pecan Park (gulfgate area) and am surprised at times at the noise level even at this distance. There are 4 runways at hobby i believe. 2 running northwest to southeast, 1 running southwest to northeast and one running north and south. The 737/727 type traffic uses mostly the diagonal runways due to length. It just happens that garden villas is right in the path frequently cause the planes are heading into the south wind and there are two runways to land on. my parents live directly behind hobby and it is not overwhelming at all. they even own a rent house right off of braniff behind hobby and surprisingly i didn't think it was bad there and that is probably the closest anyone can live to the airport.

I would say the north south runway and possibly the one running from southwest to northeast would possibly contribute noise to the general area of glenbrook valley. The level would be dependant on the size of the aircraft. Another note. i know one helicopter approach is directly south of Hobby along Randolph. The noise made by helicopters is worse than planes. they are closer to the ground etc. im not sure whether there is a helicopter approach path towards the north which would be in the direction of glenbrook as well.

It always seemed to me that Glenbrook sits in the middle of a sort of "V" with the planes coming in at angles outside of the neighborhood. I was showing off S. Macgregor and noticed more plane noise there than I have in Glenbrook. There is a little noise if the wind carries it, but nothing major that I have experienced.

Well the Ideal that they are going to improve the north/south runway lends to the possibility that future noise levels would become unbearable. My Mother in-laws TMJ hurts with loud noises so I cabn't move her into an area that may become a flight path.

The sad thing is the style of homes that she is most interested in are near Hobby.

Well the Ideal that they are going to improve the north/south runway lends to the possibility that future noise levels would become unbearable. My Mother in-laws TMJ hurts with loud noises so I cabn't move her into an area that may become a flight path.

The sad thing is the style of homes that she is most interested in are near Hobby.

I've lived in GBV for 5 years now and there aren't planes overhead at Glenbrook. I'm on the northern end of GBV. Garden Villas and Pecan Villas have more issues with it.

If you want information on the Hobby expansion there is a free meeting @ Hobby on Thurs May 25th at 6:00pm in the Cloud Room. The room is beyond security but you just tell them you are there for the meeting and you will not have to show a boarding pass. You still go through security but I'm not sure if there is a special line set up or not.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm excited. The neighborhood began where the Gulf Freeway's initial concrete span changed to asphault for the long run to Galveston in the early 1950's. Imagine being an upwardly mobile professional able to get on the nation's first post war super highway to their office downtown in minutes! And there was also THE regional internatiopnal airport next to the neighborhood - how convenient! When the NASA folks were doing their national site selection tour they came right up Broadway through Glenbrook. That dispelled the "hicks in the stix" stigma Houston had then. And JFK and Jackie drove right up Broadway in an open limo on the day before their trajic Dallas visit. Glenbrook Valley has a rich history and a right to a bright future again.

• 5 months later...

http://www.houstontx...ic_District.pdf

Wow...someone's done their Glenbrook homework. I'm impressed. Glad to see this happening.

On a sad note, though, per the list at the end of the document, looks like my favorite house at 8107 Stony Dell Ct. is gone, or at least vacant, waiting for demolition. Too bad...can anyone verify?

http://www.houstonar...__1#entry236752

info. on the house in question post 13, last comment, pic

http://www.houstontx..._demolition.pdf

2 photos , doesn't look so good here, but would have been a cool home to own, originally.

I went to take pictures of the Stony Dell home the same day as the Mad About Mod tour in October - I haven't been by since but I'll make it a point to check..

Thanks, I might get a chance to drive by soon, as well. It's funny, I always remember that house being that same color green, surprised it kept the same color all those years. Would like to see the original blueprint, or original photos with landscaping, since it was changed so much. When I look at the pool, I don't see a swamp, I see what it used to be, with possible tiki lighting, fire pit, island cocktails, the whole Don Ho thing going on. Those pool edging tiles are unique, same gray color as the lava rock. But from the photo, surprised that the pool is so easily accessed, attractive hazard for kids, not good. why on earth would anyone have enclosed that space underground, for a garage...trouble. Can't recall whether the garage was there, in my youth. Guess any house sitting near any water source will have possible issues, through the years, that have to be constantly updated or maintained. Sometimes there is nothing you can do to save them.

The COA for demolition stated 13 flood related 'events'. That's a lot of cleaning up someone has done over the years. Still, it is sad but agree, sometimes they just can't be saved.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/832285-glenbrook-valley-flooding.html

pic of 8107 Stony Dell after Ike, and before...the top photo was taken a while back, no window unit air conditioners in the wing over the water.

I'd like to know what exactly happened, over the years, to lead to this, were they man-made or natural changes in the land, home owner neglect, what changed? Why did they not have these issues to begin with? was it attributed to just the amount of heavy rainfall in short periods of time?

BTW - no other house I know of in Glenbrook has these issues, on quite this scale. The one thing I love the most about this house led to it's downfall, where and how it sits, in relation to the landscape.

I know the bayou has seen many changes lately (improvements?, I don't know). I grew up with neighborhood flooding further down the bayou, on the other side of Meadowbrook, don't remember it ever being as bad as recent years.

As for the rest of Glenbrook, I'm so pleased that these special homes and their creators are finally being recognized, once again. They made such an impression on me, growing up.

City permits online show that on 10-22-2010 a permit was issued for:

DEMO RES/SEWER DISC

The disconnection of the sewer and gas lines has to happen before the actual demolition. From past experiences in our neighborhood due to FEMA buyouts, the demolition itself followed soon after the disconnects.

I guess no one has been able to do a drive by yet but if the house is still standing, that makes me wonder why.

Also was interesting that the first reply on the City-Data site was dated 12-09 and stated then that the property had just been bought by FEMA.

I've been checking out some of the other addresses from the Glenbrook article - address list at the end, especially the "Polynesian & Oriental Ranch" styles. I look them up on GoogleEarth. I read the Glenbrook story, as well. Never heard about the Italians living in Glenbrook...interesting. One house I really like sits at 7835 Santa Elena, nice landscaping, they catagorize it as "Spanish Ranch", guess it had an addition in the spanish flair. Brick work, circular drive, very nice... Looks "modern", to me. Would like to know who the original architect was.

Another one that always caught my eye, when I was little, sits at 8243 Dover (& corner of Bellfort), mid-century modern, very long, look at it on GoogleEarth, Bellfort street side. Looks like a Floyd, reminds me of the original Memorial Bend homes.

There are some nice 1950s - 1960's designed medical clinics on Bellfort, as well (across from the hospital). They still retain some of the original design, not distorted. One has that blue tile, another - round roof scallops, another - nice brick work .You can still see the atrium area of the hospital, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

From studying all the available aerial maps, I can tell that Bellfort was originally a much shorter road that came off of Telephone Rd. and lead to buildings that were where the Glenbrook apartment complexes near Simms Bayou now sit. Maybe it was the development company offices, just an idea.

Glenbrook Court, north of the bayou, was there long before the other Glenbrook street names. The houses on that culdesac date from 1937 - 1941. One on the end of the crescent is no longer there.

I like to research 1950-60's apartment pool design, there is one right off Bellfort, end of Stone St. that is shaped like a 3-leaf clover.

If you notice on the photo where it is marked "I45" that is actually the road bed of the Houston - Galveston Electric railway. You could get to Galveston faster from downtown Houston in the 1930s than you can now. The Gulf Freeway was built over much of that railroad bed. Those streets were not there in 1944 south of Sims Bayou as that was mainly the Burton horse ranch. Telephone road was just that - a road built along the telegrah then telephone line then State Highway 35. Garden Villas was there as it had begun in the mid 1920s with Carter Lumber developing the airport. Belfort wasn't built through until the early 1960s with the bysecting of then GolfCrest Country Club. I remeber seeing JFK drive by on Broadway as he came into the airport. The next day he flew to Dallas and the world forever changed ...

• 4 months later...

If you notice on the photo where it is marked "I45" that is actually the road bed of the Houston - Galveston Electric railway. You could get to Galveston faster from downtown Houston in the 1930s than you can now. The Gulf Freeway was built over much of that railroad bed. Those streets were not there in 1944 south of Sims Bayou as that was mainly the Burton horse ranch. Telephone road was just that - a road built along the telegrah then telephone line then State Highway 35. Garden Villas was there as it had begun in the mid 1920s with Carter Lumber developing the airport. Belfort wasn't built through until the early 1960s with the bysecting of then GolfCrest Country Club. I remeber seeing JFK drive by on Broadway as he came into the airport. The next day he flew to Dallas and the world forever changed ...

One correction Historian; Belfort crosses the old Sims Bayou Golf Course. Golf Crest was up on Long Drive, were the HISD stadium was built. Also JFK left Houston that night and flew to Ft. Worth. He flew from Ft. Worth to Dallas that morning. Stay Happy!

• 1 year later...

713158.JPG

Me likey that one. It has some promise for a renovation that wouldn't ruin its heritage.

Noting wrong with bringing mid-cent-mods into the 21st cent is there?

Sharpstown is full of these kinds of homes. Geez, I sound like a broken record don't I.

Does anyone know the address of this house? I've been looking for it like crazy. Thanks in advance!

Does the deed restrictions in Memorial Bend provide any relief from this sort of mod abuse? Is there anything in the restrictions regarding additions/modifications?

I know I'm late to the meeting on this one, but some California MCM neighborhoods found a successful legal defense against 2nd story additions to MCMs and McMansion construction next to/behind MCMs. The logic goes that homes with floor-to-ceiling glass facing their side/back yards are entitled to the same expectation of privacy that existed when they were built (with respect to viewing angles from neighboring houses). This legal approach works best in a neighborhood with a cluster of single-story MCMs (like the Eichlers in Cupertino, CA).

Hope that offers a potential direction to focus some of the well-justified neighborhood indignation I hear repeatedly from MCM owners and enthusiasts.

Good luck.

• The title was changed to Glenbrook Valley What Are Your Thoughts?

Archived