Missing Pets In The Heights

RedScare

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we had an insurrection of sorts in the RedScare yard. My neighbor, who actually found the dog, was not nearly as impressed with the name, Alexei. When I told him the early leader was Wilson, shortened to Willie, he insisted that Willie would be a better name. Now granted, this is a guy who named his dog Fudge. However, in deference to his finder, and in order to keep peace on Columbia Street, Alex has been deposed, and Wilson is the new winner. And, like I said, this morning I was really fond of Wilson. Who knows, maybe now I can found a canine League of Nations.

With all apologies to tmariar, who suggested Alexsei, Willie is now official. He even now has a collar and a tag.

BTW, Mr. Chen, your dog looks like it could be Valentina's brother/sister.

• 8 months later...

I know this does not have anything to do with architecture....but you all are the most informed group about what is happening around the Heights. Has anyone else noticed parakeets in the Houston Heights? We live near 14th and Nicholson and have spotted 3 in our back yard and while walking the dog.

Haven't done this for a while, but if you ride the Bray's Bayou bikepath all the way to the end, and then go to the powerlines just to the SW, there is a large wild parrot colony nesting in the transmission towers (29.670375,-95.536289 in Google Maps).

There are several large flocks of medium sized green parakeets that nest in Eastwood/Broadmoor and vicinity. When I lived in Bellaire, there were a few small flocks in that area, too. Apparently our climate agrees with them. The Carolina Parakeet used to be native to the southern U.S. but it became extinct in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Thank you all for such quick responses and helpful info. We'll keep an eye out for more of them in the hood. They are very cute. And I imagine not too dangerously invasive to other local species. A good reason to get out on the Braes bike trail again!

One more thing...more things than you'd ever want to know about parakeets.

The topic of parakeets in Houston was presented during the University of Houston Blaffer Gallery and the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts conference, Systems of Sustainability: Art Innovation Action, last March. An artist, BD Collier, created a project and website documenting and comparing the now extinct native American Carolina Parakeet and the introduced surviving Monk Parakeet. http://newparrots.societyrne.net/index.htm

Also, there is an active nest of monk parakeets on Elgin near Scott behind the McDonald's near the UH central campus.

• 4 weeks later...

Our kiddo lost his tortoise last night. A wood tortoise, about 6" diameter, generally tortoise shaped. Should be soemwhere near 7th and Harvard. Any sightings, please PM me. Thanks.

At least you know he won't get anywhere far to fast.

I remember losing a pet once when I was young. I hope y'all find it.

At least you know he won't get anywhere far to fast.

I remember losing a pet once when I was young. I hope y'all find it.

i hope he doesn't poop in anyone's yard. people round these parts frown on that.

but in all seriousness, i do hope you find him. i'm sure he's scared too!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Has anyone seen a stray Blue Merle Border Collie lately...? Last Sunday 4/11 it ran down E 19th and I tried to catch it for over an hour and a half around the Heights & Norhill area- by car and another person also tried to help by bike. I am pretty sure she is female, with brown eyes and full blue merle on her face - no white on her face -but had some white around her shoulders and chest. Beautiful dog - but too scared to be caught and cared for. Posting to see if she found a safe place to hide or stay. I would take her in if I could find her. I'm also posting here since the link on the Heights Association http://garynuke.homestead.com/lostpets.html hasn't had any new listings nor updates since July of 2009.

• 2 months later...

Hello I need help.

My cat has been missing since Sunday night and none of my neighbors seem to have seen her. Although she is an outside animal, she is a fixture in my backyard and in four years has rarely missed a breakfast or dinner. She is a white longhair and is extremely shy. I live in the 800 block of Arlington. If anyone has spotted her would you please let me know. Also, if there are some seasoned pet people out there I would appreciate any tips for where else to call or look.

Thanks!

Also, if there are some seasoned pet people out there I would appreciate any tips for where else to call or look.

Thanks!

I would suggest you try the neighborhood message boards for Woodland Heights and Proctor Plaza. Both of them have a section for lost pets.

Hello I need help.

My cat has been missing since Sunday night and none of my neighbors seem to have seen her. Although she is an outside animal, she is a fixture in my backyard and in four years has rarely missed a breakfast or dinner. She is a white longhair and is extremely shy. I live in the 800 block of Arlington. If anyone has spotted her would you please let me know. Also, if there are some seasoned pet people out there I would appreciate any tips for where else to call or look.

Thanks!

Post an ad with a picture on Craig's List, Houston Chronicle, SPCA and PetFinder (all free) From what I have heard and my experience - cats don't wander too far so post flyers in the neighborhood (3 block radius) and vet's offices as well. Is your cat microchipped...? If so then if she was picked up -they will contact you. Also check out the following web sites: PetHarbor.com, SPCA, HPCHES, BARC

I have a friend that lives in that block - I'll let them know to keep a lookout. How big is the cat and how old - was she wearing a collar? ...with a bell or no collar? Any distinguishing characteristics?

Good luck!

Hello I need help.

Thanks!

A Peaceful Pet on White Oak has a lost pets page on her website and google search Gary Nuke Pets. His is very well known in the Heights.

If you want to PM me your contact information, I can post this for you on Heights Kids Group as well.

Just FYI, the Woodland Heights message board is no more. It went back to subscription-only listserve. (I think)

Oh, and wanted to tell you, Irishgal - don't give up hope! Our indoor-outdoor cat went missing last year right before we went on vacation. I plastered the neighborhood with signs, checked the SPCA, posted to Gary's site - the works. We were frantic when we had to leave on our trip.

Got back a week later, dropped the luggage in the driveway and called the cat's name, and look who showed up! He was limping pretty badly, so we think he either fell off something or got grazed by a car, and went to ground for a while (very easy to do in a neighborhood with post-and-beam houses).

Just FYI, the Woodland Heights message board is no more. It went back to subscription-only listserve. (I think)

No, the WH board was gone for about a week but it's back. You can find a link to the new location on the Woodland Heights main page.

Archived