Missing Pets In The Heights

RedScare

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a notice for urban chicken ranchers, cat hoarders, dog rescuers, rabbit raisers, etc, there have been several recent coyote spottings in Timbergrove west of TC Jester. Coincidentally, there has been an increase in missing/lost pet signs in the past few months. Crime Stoppers has posted a $5k reward for a perceived outbreak of animal abuse, but I think they're barking up the wrong tree. While they probably are a few demented people out there the simplest explanation in this wooded area is that they fell victim to preditors rather than sickos.

About 3 weeks ago I personally witnessed a coyote emerge from a Timbergrove ravine and enter into 11th street park. This particular ravine runs behind a house that has over 13 cats, which later clicked for me after learning a few had disappeared.

So area ranchers, hoarders, and rescuers should do their best to fence, clean, and maintain their properties in order to minimize the smell of animals that attract coyotes and other preditors. This means making sure your backyard does not smell like a litter pan, resembles turd bingo, or contains 300lbs of dog food like gazhomme's.

Stock photo of a coyote:

coyote-1.jpg

Argh... Perhaps they are there to control the population of feral cats.

Which is fine and good in my book unless they get that one cat that keeps the bluejays away from my garden! Pets (not cat colonies) are another matter. My folks have lost two dogs to coyotes in the past three years and it was pretty rough on them, so if you want to keep your companion animals don't let them roam free.

Further proof that Mother Nature will continue to flourish, even in suburbia hell...

Too bad some of those coyotes can't make their way over to the Montrose area, to get rid of all those damned feral cats...

I would be willing to trap one for you if you're interested in releasing it back into the wild. However I cannot make guarantees regarding a coyotes individual gustatory preferences, they're all different.

• The title was changed to Dog Found In Houston Heights
  • The title was changed to Preponderence Of Parakeets

Archived