Carrabba's On Kirby At 3115 Kirby Dr.

3115 Kirby Drive 77098

SUMMARY OF VARIANCE CONDITIONS(BE AS COMPLETE AS POSSIBLE):

The existing Carrabba’s restaurant is to be rebuilt on the parking lot south of the existing building. While the new building is under construction, the restaurant will remain in operation but all parking will be off-site in a new parking garage (to be constructed first) across the Branard Street and in an existing open parking lot on the east side of Argonne Street.

When the new Carrabba’s restaurant building opens and the old building is demolished, a new parking lot will be constructed on the same block as the restaurant. However, this parking lot will only provide 39 spaces (49% of what is required); the remainder will be across Branard Street in the new garage and across Argonne in the existing open parking lot. Both the garage and the lot will be shared with two new restaurants to be constructed adjacent to Kirby on the block west of Argonne. One of the new restaurants will have 9,340 sq. ft., requiring 75 parking spaces. The second will have 3115 sq. ft., requiring 25 spaces, plus office space of 2700 sq. ft., requiring 7 spaces. The block north of Branard will have 10 open parking spaces and a garage for approximately 275 spaces. All three new buildings together will require 217 spaces. A total of 337 spaces are being provided on the three

blocks.

gallery_723_64_128146.jpg

The proposed new restaurant (labeled as [A] on the site plan) will begin construction following the completion of a multi-story parking structure (labeled [D]). While the new restaurant is under construction within the parking lot that current provides the existing restaurant its parking, the current building will satisfy its Chapter 26 requirements from the new parking garage.

Once the new building is completed, the existing restaurant will be demolished and a 39-space surface lot will be completed on-site.

As a result, the Planning Department and the Department of Public Works & Engineering recommend the Commission grant the requested variances to the distance requirements of the Off-Street Parking Ordinance.

------------

Starts on page 169

http://ataps1.pd.ci.houston.tx.us/drc/PC+Meeting+Calendar.nsf/WebDocumentOpen/6D1D31EE28FC49878625751D00711A17/$FILE/Action+Agenda.pdf

• Like 1

3115 Kirby Drive 77098

SUMMARY OF VARIANCE CONDITIONS(BE AS COMPLETE AS POSSIBLE):

When the new Carrabba’s restaurant building opens and the old building is demolished, a new parking lot will be constructed on the same block as the restaurant. However, this parking lot will only provide 39 spaces (49% of what is required); the remainder will be across Branard Street in the new garage and across Argonne in the existing open parking lot. Both the garage and the lot will be shared with two new restaurants to be constructed adjacent to Kirby on the block west of Argonne. One of the new restaurants will have 9,340 sq. ft., requiring 75 parking spaces. The second will have 3115 sq. ft., requiring 25 spaces, plus office space of 2700 sq. ft., requiring 7 spaces. The block north of Branard will have 10 open parking spaces and a garage for approximately 275 spaces. All three new buildings together will require 217 spaces. A total of 337 spaces are being provided on the three

blocks.....

------------

Starts on page 169

http://ataps1.pd.ci....tion+Agenda.pdf

I'm glad someone took the initiative with a plan with this and my only complaint is that they probably won't have anything on the street level for retail or something. Thinking that through, I can't imagine would would fill the space.

Is Carrabba's going to own the structure?

Interesting. I had noticed the "request for variance" signs but never stopped to read them.

I noted that the summary says the two new restaurants will both be adjacent to Kirby on the block west of Argonne, but the map shows that clearly is not the case. Only one of the restaurants is adjacent to Kirby on the block west of Argonne. The other is on the block east of Argonne, 1 block off of Kirby.

I wonder if they already know what the two new restaurants will be.

It's really interesting how Upper Kirby seems to be the epicenter of higher density, pedestrian friendly development. Might have something to do with the demographics, I guess. Just a few years back, it was basically your usual Houston boulevard, with mostly autocentric developments, and a total near total disregard for pedestrian activity. *pokes at TheNiche or someone else for a proper explanation*

Well, my guess is number one, demographics and two, area density. All these walkable, higher-end type of developments only seem to get done for the upper middle and very high income folks. This area has it.

It's already fairly dense, so the density going on around it now is just a step up anyway. Plus, since there is plenty of traffic, it has higher visibility. It's harder to spot bottom level retail/restaurants downtown when you're zooming by and really have to pay close attention to your driving when you're down there.

Downtown is kind of hard to do because the population isn't already there and any residential/mixed-use is very costly b/c of land prices and you must got very tall (except w/ govt help), and that gets very expensive. I see the galleria area having similar issues. So I think this place is the perfect median because they aren't forced to go very high, so a mid-rise West Ave can go in and also going tall is acceptable too since there's already a precedent for it in that area.

Well, my guess is number one, demographics and two, area density. All these walkable, higher-end type of developments only seem to get done for the upper middle and very high income folks. This area has it.

It's already fairly dense, so the density going on around it now is just a step up anyway. Plus, since there is plenty of traffic, it has higher visibility. It's harder to spot bottom level retail/restaurants downtown when you're zooming by and really have to pay close attention to your driving when you're down there.

Downtown is kind of hard to do because the population isn't already there and any residential/mixed-use is very costly b/c of land prices and you must got very tall (except w/ govt help), and that gets very expensive. I see the galleria area having similar issues. So I think this place is the perfect median because they aren't forced to go very high, so a mid-rise West Ave can go in and also going tall is acceptable too since there's already a precedent for it in that area.

Retailers typically use a 1-, 3-, and 5-mile radial analysis to determine demographics, most critically daytime population and wealth. And from a site like this one, the 5-mile analysis encompasses all of the major urban employment centers, universities, and crazy affluent neighborhoods including River Oaks, Tanglewood, West U, and Bellaire. Traffic count is critically important, too. There really aren't very many better sites in town than along Kirby.

The density along Kirby has less to do with pedestrians, urban planning, or a grandiose 'vision', and more to do with land price, which is primarily a function of the demographics and traffic count (as discussed above). At a certain point, it's less expensive to develop structured parking than it is to provide the same number of surface spaces.

But you'll notice that in spite of the density along Kirby, the number of pedestrians still pales in comparison to somewhere like...Canal Street, a two-lane secondary thoroughfare. That's because--holding the distance between similar origin/destination points as a constant--walkability is a function of convenience, affordability, and comfort. So...think about it.

But you'll notice that in spite of the density along Kirby, the number of pedestrians still pales in comparison to somewhere like...Canal Street, a two-lane secondary thoroughfare. That's because--holding the distance between similar origin/destination points as a constant--walkability is a function of convenience, affordability, and comfort....

In your opinion, do you think this sort of growth will turn "organic" and spread in certain directions down Westhiemer, Richmond, and W. Alabama and work on Buffalo Speedway, Shepherd, and Edloe to points beyond? I'm talking years down the road.

In your opinion, do you think this sort of growth will turn "organic" and spread in certain directions down Westhiemer, Richmond, and W. Alabama and work on Buffalo Speedway, Shepherd, and Edloe to points beyond? I'm talking years down the road.

Absolutely. Growth within Houston's urban core is self-reinforcing. The only caveat is that Houston's urban core is pretty big, so individual developments will occur in a disjointed fashion, and it may take some time for things to really fill in.

How is this development pedestrian friendly? There's a huge parking garage with no ground floor component. There's also a surface parking lot for the new "original" Carrabas. Then there's the porte cochere for the valet service. Making people walk from a garage to a pad restaraunt site isn't exactly "urban."

AND, outside of West Ave, what else in Upper Kirby is pedestrian friendly? The double drive-thru Becks? The numerous bank branches? The Bed Bath and Beyond? The Whole Foods? Lil Pappasitos? Ninfa's?

Yeah there's nothing pedestrian friendly about this. I doubt you'll see Tillman Fertita walking down River Oaks Blvd to go grab some Italian food.

However, it will be more dense and ultimately more attractive to the eye. And in Houston, that's all that really matters...so I'm excited about it.

Yeah there's nothing pedestrian friendly about this. I doubt you'll see Tillman Fertita walking down River Oaks Blvd to go grab some Italian food.

However, it will be more dense and ultimately more attractive to the eye. And in Houston, that's all that really matters...so I'm excited about it.

It's not their fault there's no retail or office above the restaurants and they're doing what they can. They placed the buildings as close as possible to the sidewalks and streets. I would say that's pedestrian friendly; more ped friendly that Chili's 50' back from the street.

We should be more critical of residential and office not being ped friend imo.

It's not their fault there's no retail or office above the restaurants and they're doing what they can. They placed the buildings as close as possible to the sidewalks and streets. I would say that's pedestrian friendly; more ped friendly that Chili's 50' back from the street.

We should be more critical of residential and office not being ped friend imo.

That area of Houston won't ever be pedestrian friendly. The clientele is too wealthy and the houses are too large and spread out.

In the grand scheme of things, I think HAIFers should stop worrying about things being pedestrian friendly. 95% of Houston wont' ever be pedestrian friendly, and as long as developments are providing enough parking and offering attractive architecture, I don't think there is more you can ask for. Washington is never going to be ped friendly, Uptown will never be ped friendly, and Upper Kirby will never really be ped friendly. However, these are three of the most happening neighborhoods in town and they are interesting in their own way.

The pipe dreams of taking the light rail (which probably won't happen on Richmond or Post Oak for at least another decade) to dinner or to go shopping need to disappear. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but that's just not what Houston is, and I for one actually like that.

The pipe dreams of taking the light rail (which probably won't happen on Richmond or Post Oak for at least another decade) to dinner or to go shopping need to disappear.

I agree. And if riding light rail to dinner is a dream for someone then they need to get a life.

I agree. And if riding light rail to dinner is a dream for someone then they need to get a life.

You can't help your dreams. I once had a dream that I was having a conversation with a rabbit who wore a top hat and a monocle.

And I was on stage in my high school auditorium.

Wearing only my underpants.

I forgot to mention that many white people have a phobia of surface parking lots. Walking past one gives them the heebie-jeebies. So there.

[/quot

I actually walk around that area all of the time. I walk to Blueberry Hill, Whole Foods, Borders, Lil Pappasitos, Pappadeaux, Ruggles Green, Kuhl-Linscomb, Beck's and even the Momentum dealership when my car needs to get serviced. It's completely walkable but it isn't pleasant. There's little shade and most folks don't watch for pedestrians when they make wild turns on/off of West Alabama, Kirby, Richmond, etc... I am looking forward to West Ave. opening so I can walk there too.

Of course, there are many white people that like to pretend they are less white because they apparently love Wal-Mart, surface parking lots, and adding chorizo to Kroger's brand pizza, but I am not sure that really helps me make a point.

I walk to Blueberry Hill...

Is that where you found your thrill?

Of course, there are many white people that like to pretend they are less white because they apparently love Wal-Mart, surface parking lots, and adding chorizo to Kroger's brand pizza, but I am not sure that really helps me make a point.

White people crazy!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Carrabba's On Kirby At 3115 Kirby Dr.
  • 6 months later...