Phoenix Breathing Down Houston's Neck?

Guest danax
Houston doesn't have enough water to sustain its growth.

Hot Spots: Potential Water Supply Crisis by 2025

Houston is in the red zone - "Conflict Potential-- Highly Likely"

We have more of a water crisis potential than Phoenix? That's very surprising. We certainly have the rainfall. Not enough reservoirs?

The Minutemen might put a damper in Phoenix's growth though.

Good article, but I think that Houston is still forecasted to have about a million more people than Phoenix in 2020 with at least 7 million to Phoenix's 6 million.

I think that map is looking more at the water sources that may be 'fought' over in the future for different reasons. It says water for people, farming, and the environment. I have no idea why the Texas coast is a part of that, other than the rivers that end at the Gulf may become important sources for drinking water or important for enviromental reasons. Looking at other areas, metro areas such as Portland and LA are in the same water availability category; while Houston is in the same category as Corpus Christi, Denver, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Reno, and California's Central Valley.

I think it just means that there will be more questions about rights to water sources in those areas.

You also have to realize that Phoenix on some level is like Houston with little impediment to its growth. It has some mountains, but not completely around it. The city has a lot more room to grow.

Houston still has more. It just depends on how local and state policies in the two states fuel growth in businesses to produce jobs to attract new residents.

Houston does not have a water crisis like Phoenix. Houston does have some water problems. The region is currently implementing plans to switch the region from ground water to surface water. It'll take a while to happen (like about 30 years to complete), but it'll be worth it. The region is planning to gradually take more and more MUDs off of the ground water plants they operate to be on region plant systems that source surface water. I wish there were other areas of the county that had some topo to make another lake like Lake Houston. That lake's existence is purely based on the need for water for the city. And so is Lake Conroe. It has a great recreational benefit too.

It's virtually impossible to predict these kind of things. During the 1990s the Phoenix metro area grew by about 45%, compared to about 25% for Houston. If these growth rates somehow were to remain the same, the Phoenix area population would pass that of Houston sometime before 2020. Of course, you can't expect growth rates to remain the same. Each area has its problems (water, pollution), but continued population growth pretty much depends on the ability of each region to continue growing its economy and attracting new residents.

Remember, while Phoenix growing, Houston growing too. So, Phoenix have light years to catch up with us. The only way I see Phoenix catching up to Houston, if Houston goes into a depression era, other wise, no. But, I wish them well.

It's like Houston trying to catch up to Chicago, and we all know Chicago is still growing too.

Yeah, you right RedScare. Chicago has lost pop. Brijonmang, the reason why you don't see it happening in many many years, cause first off, Chicago already has alot of pop., and when you visited Chi-Town you seen all those people walking up and down the city. Here you don't see that, cause Houston is more of a spaced-out type of city.

But, Houston has grown rapidly over the years. It seem hard to beleive Houston surpassing Chi-Town? Ummmm, you be surprised in the years to come in Houston, Texas.

we shouldn't just compare cities either:

I mean really: Chicago is midwest, Houston is Southeast Texas-Southwest U.S. and Phoenix is Southwest desert. Different regions for different people for different prefrences. I also think Phoenix is growing because of illegal immigration maybe (and its closer to Vegas to those who don't want to live in Vegas but close enough) but what is there to really do out there?

They got problems as well.

Dry Heat (VERY hot out there)

Deadly Scorpions

Water (no body of water to play in like a beach)

Illegal Aliens/border crossing

I have been through Phoenix and well I can tell ya I would go because of the Native American culture and that's it. Nothing else there impresses me. (Aside from the mountains)

If you watch the crowd shots of the NBA's Phoenix-San Antonio series, you'll see a very large component of Phoenix's growth - old people. Retirees, and the businesses that cater to them, drive a significant portion of the growth out there.

Immigration is also a major component, as it is in Houston and San Diego and LA (and for that matter, Dallas).

Cheap labor is also a driver for Southern cities.

Interestingly, with the population aging, weather is a Houston advantage. It's bitterly cold in Chicago in January. Houston's heat is not near the problem that ice and cold are to the elderly. My mom won't even consider moving back to North Carolina, because she says it is too cold.

About Chicago's population decrease:

Chicago is small in land area and is very dense, but it suburbs are vast just like Houston and they continue to grow. Overall, I thnk it balance out.

Houston has lately seen an influx into the city and the suburbs. Some people are moving in from the burbs, but a lot are moving in from out of the Metro Area.

Many northerners that move down here and don't have kids are moving in the loop because its closer to the life they came from.

• 1 month later...

THat article is a bit misleading in that it does not discuss differences in city proper versus population. Having lived in both Phoenix and Houston I can say with much certainty central city Houston "feels" much bigger than Phoenix. Phoenix cannot sustain its sprawl for another 20 years, it will flat line, IMO, within the next 12-15 years if not sooner.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Life is not a Parker Posey movie

I feel a little the same way. I still want Houston to grow and get bigger, but pitty one city against another is pointless. It's not even much fun. If we are discussing the realities of the city growth and how they are different, that's a whole other story.

Our city boosters push it all day long, so the tendency is to do it yourself. The reality is that rampant growth is not all good. But still, human nature is to compete, so we compare and contrast, and in the end, our neighborhood, city, state and country always ends up being best, doesn't it?

One thing's for sure. I don't know why anyone would live on Mars. It's cold as hell up there. Much too far from the sun. I'll take Earth any day. And we're 6.3 billion bigger than them, too.

• 4 weeks later...

You know that when they say that Phoenix grew by 45% versus an 25% growth in Houston, that still means we grew faster or at the same rate because we have more people and in raw numbers one is not neccessarily beating the other---I think we are growing in line with each other. In fact, percentages put aside, southern and western cities are growing at pretty comparable rates.

Also, in terms of competition between size and growth of cities---I think it is important that we care because the bigger and more impressive our population and population growth, the more that developers, advertisers, companies, etc will pay attention to us. Can you imagine a Houston fashion week? A "im pei style" tower in downtown that would be the tallest in the world? a true shot at the Olympics? A United Nations center for Latin and North American affairs?

All these things are possible only if we make a splash on the radar--namely through size, because it is tied with economic and social growth.

So I say, lets be competitive and applaud our qucik growth!

Archived