Phoenix Breathing Down Houston's Neck?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Phoenix is a fast growing Sun Belt city. But this summer, 117 degrees? How many summers will it take? :( At any rate, Houston is growing at a nice pace. Rapid growth, I moved here in the 70s, the city cannot keep up with that. Not even Phoenix will move forward without problems.

Chicago might be looking in the rear view mirror at Houston:

In 1970, Chicago had 2,134,155 more persons than Houston.

In 2005, Chicago has 849,618 more persons than Houston.

Phoenix? Please. Should we compare Fortune 500 companies with Phoenix?

You know that when they say that Phoenix grew by 45% versus an 25% growth in Houston, that still means we grew faster or at the same rate because we have more people and in raw numbers one is not neccessarily beating the other---I think we are growing in line with each other.  In fact, percentages put aside, southern and western cities are growing at pretty comparable rates.

Also, in terms of competition between size and growth of cities---I think it is important that we care because the bigger and more impressive our population and population growth, the more that developers, advertisers, companies, etc will pay attention to us.  Can you imagine a Houston fashion week?  A "im pei style" tower in downtown that would be the tallest in the world?  a true shot at the Olympics?  A United Nations center for Latin and North American affairs? 

All these things are possible only if we make a splash on the radar--namely through size, because it is tied with economic and social growth.

So I say, lets be competitive and applaud our qucik growth!

yes, but size for size's sake is not necessarily better. there are plenty of small places that are livable ... mainly BECAUSE they are small. of course, i don't live there, but i think we should be putting more resources into making houston more liveable ... not just bigger.

Well, I would not like to see Houston any less than 4th place. To tell the truth I don't see how someone could live in NYC, I like it there, but really living in a place that urban would make me go crazy! Cities like LA and Houston are more my style.

Well, I would not like to see Houston any less than 4th place. To tell the truth I don't see how someone could live in NYC, I like it there, but really living in a place that urban would make me go crazy! Cities like LA and Houston are more my style.

yeah, well i also hear san antonio is growing like wildfire too. i have not been there in a long time, but i hear it is very livable.

i agree, there is something nice about knowing that we live in the 4th (soon to be 3rd) largest city. kinda like a bragging right i guess.

• 5 weeks later...
I don't know about y'all, but I WANT to live in Houston. Not from here, but got here as fast as I could. I love H-town. I was in my old stomping grounds (Shreveport, LA) for the past few days and boy was it HOT. Had to get to Houston to cool off. No kiddin'!!!!!

I like it too(H-Town)

:rolleyes:

We have more of a water crisis potential than Phoenix? That's very surprising. We certainly have the rainfall. Not enough reservoirs?

The Minutemen might put a damper in Phoenix's growth though.

That quote right above is funny, damn funny ! Sure, keep the minutemen in Arizona and Houston might have a shot at beating Phoenix.

Houston Poplation

Houston will surpassed Chicago

and Toronto Largset city in Canada by 2025

People would of wished that Houston was located in Canada to surpassed Toronto to be the countrys largest. :rolleyes:

But as for Phoenix will surpassed Philadelphia by 2010 YES.

But for Phoenix people surpassed Houston hummm

People surpassed Houston to travel on highways and see more interesting things that goes here than Phoenix of having neighbors that is over 300 miles or more to travel out in a desert.

People are worried maybe if Phoenix was a look out towards Houston. Houston does have a larger land area than Phoenix does. Morely Phoenix is surrounded mountains but in parts of opening are many Indian Reservations that the city of Phoenix cannot grow into. Houston by itself is only behind by 1.7 million of Phoenix Greater Area Metro.

People otta know about the left over neighborhoods in the Northwestern Area south of the Woodlands that over quarter million live in if Houston can possibly urban the rest of those neighborhoods around Williowsbrook Mall the become the 3rd largest city.

Houston Urban - 2,016,394(5 mill in Metro)

Phoenix Metro - 3,714,302 in metro

Phoenix can rapidly only grow northward as Houston can grow north, east and west.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I think Canadians are glad Houston is in the states.

And Toronto is their largest city - which will probably grow much by 2025 - and keep out of reach from Houston.

If anything they have a huge leg-up on the whole skyline.

Archived