University of Houston Stadium Talk

Brickfence

It'd be interesting to see how much their proposals will cost, and it will be even more interesting to see how they fund it.

indeed. It sure is great that UH athletics has big money to spend. Meanwhile, the rest of the university is going to eliminate 83

positions and furlogh all staff one day in order to cut expenses. This link is to the admin and finance pages:

http://www.uh.edu/af/budget10.htm

Click on the second bullet, then on the campus reduction plans page click on the first bullet for the central campus plan to

shave $15 million this fiscal year.

So, intuitively, for UH athletics to be in the black (and therefore justify using school $ to finance this new stadium), they would have to do one of the following:

-- take the volume approach (ie UT)

-- have a smaller stadium and charge a lot for tickets

-- have a smaller stadium and sell lots of luxury boxes

For the first approach you'd have to build a brand new stadium (making a much higher initial expense) and have absolute faith that it will sell out.

For the second approach you'd have to overlook the fact that even giving tickets away for free to students (something schools don't usually do) rarely, if ever, succeeds in bringing people in. So who would pay a lot to watch the games?

For the third approach you'd have to overlook the fact that these luxury boxes would have to be sold to wealthy alums -- but if the alums were that wealthy, why is the school dipping into its own funds to finance the stadium?

So from my perspective I don't like any of these options and, barring some other option I hadn't already considered, this new stadium would have to be 100% alum funded to justify the expense. I would be really encouraged to see this happen. That, almost more than the stadium itself, would be really nice for the school...

We can partly blame governor Good Hair for the reductions taking place all across Texas colleges and universities. Heck, The University of Texas at Austin is making staff cuts and their football program prolly costs more to run than the Dallas/Arlington Cowboys.

As for the Stadium, I am hoping for a Roberston Stadium renovation. The numbers I've heard tossed around are $90 million. $90 million towards a renovation would make The Rob an awesome venue. $90 million towards a new stadium likely gets you a cheap looking erector set.

$90 million towards a new stadium likely gets you a cheap looking erector set.

Well here's what Mack Rhoades did at Univ. Akron when he was there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summa_Field_at_InfoCision_Stadium

$61.6 million, new, seats 30,000, including "Loge Boxes" and club seats.

http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10800&ATCLID=3667207&DB_OEM_ID=10800&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=&DB_OEM_ID=10800&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=10800&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

• 3 months later...

Well here is the new plan!!!!! :)

UH unveils plan to build new football stadium

600xpopupgallery6.jpg

The new Stadium Club area.

600xpopupgallery5.jpg

An exterior view of Hofheinz with the new football stadium in the background.

More Renderings

600xpopupgallery2.jpg

A view of the proposed stadium with downtown Houston visible in the background.

600xpopupgallery3.jpg

The interior bowl of Hofheinz Pavilion under the proposed renovations

600xpopupgallery4.jpg

An aerial diagram of the basketball arena.

The Hofheinz Pavilion renovation looks top notch. The interior photos of the new football stadium, especially the locker room, look amazing.

That said, I HATE the design of the new stadium. The Press Box side looks like a Palm Harbor Home elevalted on stilts. We're going to get rid of a super nice art deco facade and replace with an erector set and palm harbor homes?!?!?

Additionally, the actual seating bowls are just too damn contrived. This trend started in the NFL with weird designs for the Chicago Bears, Seattle Seahawks, and Philadelphia Eagles and it's clearly moved to the college ranks. I understand the desire to preserve the skyline view, but that weird upper deck shoved into a corner just looks absurd. And, I LOVE THE COUGARS, but we all know there are going to be times when nobody will be sitting there and it's going to look awful. To me, it seems like $120 million would buy you a much better looking first impression.

I agree, but the one thing I really like about new stadium design that cost the extra 13 million is how they left an opening to see the Downtown skyline. Any renovation of Robertson would have blocked this view.

"UH has probably never received the community support and recognition it deserves," Whitmire said. "I just say, `Enough's enough. Let's get on our horse and start promoting UH.' And it's a pretty easy job. UH will sell itself, given an opportunity."

"I just think it's going to take a visionary to say, `Wow, you know what? Houston makes sense.'"

Also this New stadium should be real nice with the new rail connections!!!

I think the chron article said they will start raising funds now. Anyone else think that this is just a way to get in or stay in a "major" conference? With all this expansion talk swirling, I think they were forced to release this information, prematurely. Who knows if it will really go through or not.

I think the chron article said they will start raising funds now. Anyone else think that this is just a way to get in or stay in a "major" conference? With all this expansion talk swirling, I think they were forced to release this information, prematurely. Who knows if it will really go through or not.

Maybe not stay in a major conference, but it may have to do with a bid to leave the C-USA. I suspected this too.

With Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri gone from the Big 12 (9?), and if the rest of the teams decide not to jump ship for some other conference, that leaves room available for another competitive team or two to join. UH is an obvious choice, and maybe the guarantee of a new stadium is necessary to ensure their inclusion.

Why does Robertson need to be replaced. Is it decrepit, or just aging?

Both.

Having been to Robertson a few times, I love the architectural details, but I figured it only had a few years left before some form of renovation needed to be done.

The Pavilion needs some serious updating as well, I was there for a graduation and it was almost an embarrassment.

It was built in 1941, and hasn't seen much upgrade since then (UH just started playing there in 1996). Bathrooms, concession stands, concourses and ramps are just not up to today's standards.

That said, I don't go to football games for concessions or to judge the bathrooms, so I thoroughly enjoy my experiences there. The sight lines and the field itself are fantastic.

I've been there for the Dynamo and it seemed sufficient. Rather than a new stadium one might think UH would do better to spend the money on academics.

UH is currently spending much more than the cost of the proposed stadium on construction to support academics. http://www.uh.edu/plantops/fpc_MainCampus_FutureProject_Map_Timeline.pdf

- Stadium Parking Garage: $26 million

- Fleming Addition: $31 million

- Science & Engineering Research Buildout: $8 million

- S&R Life Safety Upgrades: $10.3 million

- Valenti School of Communications Expansion: $2.8 million

- Wheeler Housing: $50 million

- Moody Towers Dining Upgrade: $11 million

- Health/Biomed Building: $70 million

- Hilton Hotel Upgrades: $13.6 million

- Business Building: $31 million

- Central Plant Expansion: $45 million

- Petroleum Engineering Classroom & Labs: $5 million

- Building 4 General Upgrades: $1 million

So there's $305 Million on CURRENT construction...not including the hundreds of millions just spent over the last 5 years on two parking garages on Calhoun, the MD Anderson Library Expansion, SERC Building, Cemo Hall, Calhoun Lofts, etc.

I won't argue against additional academics funding, since that is UH's mission, but if alumni and supporters are going to fund athletics facilities, that's our prerogative. I personally donate annually to both athletics and academics (about 6:1 in favor of academics.)

UH is currently spending much more than the cost of the proposed stadium on construction to support academics. http://www.uh.edu/plantops/fpc_MainCampus_FutureProject_Map_Timeline.pdf

- Stadium Parking Garage: $26 million

- Fleming Addition: $31 million

- Science & Engineering Research Buildout: $8 million

- S&R Life Safety Upgrades: $10.3 million

- Valenti School of Communications Expansion: $2.8 million

- Wheeler Housing: $50 million

- Moody Towers Dining Upgrade: $11 million

- Health/Biomed Building: $70 million

- Hilton Hotel Upgrades: $13.6 million

- Business Building: $31 million

- Central Plant Expansion: $45 million

- Petroleum Engineering Classroom & Labs: $5 million

- Building 4 General Upgrades: $1 million

So there's $305 Million on CURRENT construction...not including the hundreds of millions just spent over the last 5 years on two parking garages on Calhoun, the MD Anderson Library Expansion, SERC Building, Cemo Hall, Calhoun Lofts, etc.

I won't argue against additional academics funding, since that is UH's mission, but if alumni and supporters are going to fund athletics facilities, that's our prerogative. I personally donate annually to both athletics and academics (about 6:1 in favor of academics.)

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was thinking more of investment in research than buildings.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was thinking more of investment in research than buildings.

Think of athletics as a subset of UH's advertising budget and as an inherent component of its market positioning. The idea is that it pays for itself (directly or indirectly) over time AND enhance the reputation and academic standing of the larger institution.

...and yes, I know that's asinine. Seems to work well, though.

Think of athletics as a subset of UH's advertising budget and as an inherent component of its market positioning. The idea is that it pays for itself (directly or indirectly) over time AND enhance the reputation and academic standing of the larger institution.

...and yes, I know that's asinine. Seems to work well, though.

It sure worked for the University of Chicago.

I've wondered the same thing, especially having been told on this very forum that:

"UH removed the old track from Robertson Stadium, lowered the field about 20 feet, added 3,000 chairback seats along the sidelines, built new concourses, endzone grandstands seating about 6,000 combined, 4 concession/restroom buildings, and added the appropriate drainage for the new grass field in a multi-million dollar expansion project about 10 years ago. But shhhhh, don't tell the Dynamo..."

and

"Sorry, but Robertson Stadium is a really nice little college FOOTBALL stadium."

and

"Robertson has everything a TRUE fan needs; nice site lines (all seats are close to the action) and beer sales!"

I wish they would pursue renovation. I like the look of Robertson Stadium.

I think I wrote most of the above and I still stand by it.

Robertson is a great place to watch a game. There's not a bad seat in the house and the intimate setting, growing tailgate scene, and even corny palm trees have grown on me. Oh, and UH is on a major winning streak there. At last count it was 15 games which I think is 3rd or 4th longest in the nation.

That said, the biggest problem with Robertson is that it doesn't fit today's ADA standards. All additions cannot touch the original structure or else everything in the old part will have to be redone (ramps, restrooms, vomitories, etc...). That's why the overhaul 10 years ago was limited to freestanding endzone structures, free standing concession bldgs, etc... and that's why the renovation costs probably came in at over $107 million.

The last bit of info I know is that my father and I went to Okie State this past season. T Boone hosted the UH delegation in the Cowboy's new palace of a stadium (OSU spent TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY MILLION to upgrade their old stadium) and ole T Boone said if he had to do it all over again, he'd have torn down and built new. I think that made a lasting impression on Mack and Renu.

Robertson is a great place to watch a game. There's not a bad seat in the house and the intimate setting, growing tailgate scene, and even corny palm trees have grown on me. Oh, and UH is on a major winning streak there. At last count it was 15 games which I think is 3rd or 4th longest in the nation.

That said, the biggest problem with Robertson is that it doesn't fit today's ADA standards. All additions cannot touch the original structure or else everything in the old part will have to be redone (ramps, restrooms, vomitories, etc...). That's why the overhaul 10 years ago was limited to freestanding endzone structures, free standing concession bldgs, etc... and that's why the renovation costs probably came in at over $107 million.

The last bit of info I know is that my father and I went to Okie State this past season. T Boone hosted the UH delegation in the Cowboy's new palace of a stadium (OSU spent TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY MILLION to upgrade their old stadium) and ole T Boone said if he had to do it all over again, he'd have torn down and built new. I think that made a lasting impression on Mack and Renu.

Interesting. But if that has influenced their decision, someone should show them the "before" pictures of OSU's stadium. They previously had nothing worth keeping, unlike UH, which, as you say, has a pretty nice, very attractive stadium to start with.

It sure worked for the University of Chicago.

Did it? I suppose that this website is just a spoof, then.

The history according to Wikipedia is that Chicago withdrew from the Big 10 conference in 1946, then reinstated football as a Division III team in 1969. Sounds like a failed experiment.

It's also important to point out that UH has several times the enrollment of University of Chicago, which is a private school.

That said, the biggest problem with Robertson is that it doesn't fit today's ADA standards. All additions cannot touch the original structure or else everything in the old part will have to be redone (ramps, restrooms, dormitories, etc...). That's why the overhaul 10 years ago was limited to freestanding end-zone structures, free standing concession bldgs, etc... and that's why the renovation costs probably came in at over $107 million.

I can say from working @ Robertson (Dynamo Blue Crew) that I have enjoyed my experiences there, and have no problem with the stadium in its current configuration. Having said that, I know that (Dynamo) fans have had problems with the layout of concessions, and finding their seats and closest restrooms. When I worked there it did have the feel of an high school game, which to me made me enjoy it that much more.

OSU Boone Pickens Stadium

normalatqocolujbjvyfl20.jpg

041220051945oamcathleti.jpg

normal173589667f85fdcf3.jpg

boonee.jpg

Before Renovation

boone20pickens20stadium.jpg

Rendering of What It looks like Now

Robertson Stadium

750pxrobertsonstadiumco.jpg

Public School Stadium

aerialh.jpg

Robertson Aerial

robertsonstadium2.jpg

Robertson facade

600xpopupgallery2.jpg

New Stadium Renderings

We have to realize that the new stadium is just as much or more for the athletes they're trying to bring in. They always say facilities is a very high priority to keep up with recruits. They want these guys to feel special and part of that is playing in a special place. Fans are important but really their a secondary concern. IF UH has great athletes and wins consistenly or gets a new stadium in gets in the Big 12, the fans will come.

Did it? I suppose that this website is just a spoof, then.

The history according to Wikipedia is that Chicago withdrew from the Big 10 conference in 1946, then reinstated football as a Division III team in 1969. Sounds like a failed experiment.

It's also important to point out that UH has several times the enrollment of University of Chicago, which is a private school.

So much for my little quip then. I guess the administrators must have taken Hank Hill's criticism of their lack of a football team seriously.

I was going to throw in MIT as the lone example of an institution of higher learning without intercollegiate sports, then I stumbled across this gem.

It appears that not only am I wrong, but that I couldn't be further from right. I suppose it's too costly to operate a university these days without the ad dollars generated from sporting events, even at top tier institutions like Chicago and MIT. Oh well, I still have a bunch of community colleges to back up my... er... point.

Damn it.

Archived