University of Houston Stadium Talk

Brickfence

So much for my little quip then. I guess the administrators must have taken Hank Hill's criticism of their lack of a football team seriously.

I figured that that was where you got it from. Yeah, but not for an old professor of mine that was a UC alum, I would've given that a pass too.

Wow, to spend $100 million on a renovation and then another $120 million 15 years later for a brand new stadium...that's idiotic.

You're right, that would be idiotic...if it was true.

If UH had spent $100 million 15 years ago, we wouldn't be talking about a new stadium right now.

The renovations completed in 1998 cost $10.5 million (lowered the field, added end zone seats, added chairback seats), but it didn't do much to the structure itself.

I hate to see Robertson go, but I think there's a lot of sentiment to incorporate the old Art Deco stylings into the new stadium facade. I hope that happens.

I hate to see Robertson go, but I think there's a lot of sentiment to incorporate the old Art Deco stylings into the new stadium facade. I hope that happens.

If they can save any portion of the original facade, great. Otherwise, I'd prefer an aesthetic that looks to the future rather than to the past; it's the direction that UH is headed.

You're right, that would be idiotic...if it was true.

If UH had spent $100 million 15 years ago, we wouldn't be talking about a new stadium right now.

The renovations completed in 1998 cost $10.5 million (lowered the field, added end zone seats, added chairback seats), but it didn't do much to the structure itself.

I hate to see Robertson go, but I think there's a lot .of sentiment to incorporate the old Art Deco stylings into the new stadium facade. I hope that happens.

Whew that's a relief. Alright I'm totally on board with this new stadium thing. $120 million is still a bit expensive for a stadium that will only hold 40,000 people, expandable to 50,000 (I was thinking this earlier, but didn't want to say it) -- but it could just end up being really, really nice (like a smaller-capacity version of the OSU "palace").

If they want to preserve the old art deco stylings maybe they could pull a Soldier Field and put chunks of it behind glass. But if the idea is to just get the architect to throw in some random art deco flourishes on the new building I say forget it.

So much for my little quip then. I guess the administrators must have taken Hank Hill's criticism of their lack of a football team seriously.

I was going to throw in MIT as the lone example of an institution of higher learning without intercollegiate sports, then I stumbled across this gem.

It appears that not only am I wrong, but that I couldn't be further from right. I suppose it's too costly to operate a university these days without the ad dollars generated from sporting events, even at top tier institutions like Chicago and MIT. Oh well, I still have a bunch of community colleges to back up my... er... point.

Damn it.

and here I thought you were just being sarcastic.

I would be very surprised if Chicago and MIT's athletic departments operated in the black. If money is the only consideration I think most schools are better off getting rid of their football team than putting money into improving it in the hopes of chasing tv dollars.

I would be very surprised if Chicago and MIT's athletic departments operated in the black. If money is the only consideration I think most schools are better off getting rid of their football team than putting money into improving it in the hopes of chasing tv dollars.

Whoever said that the objective was operating profit?

don't forget that sports played on TV does generate interest in kids going to that school. either by seeing that the sports teams are good, ergo, the rest of the school should be good, or by seeing the commercials for the university during the sporting event.

I'm sure a strong number of kids choosing their school do so on an academic level, but then I'm also sure an equally strong number of kids choose their school based on the success or failure of the athletics department.

either way, sports on TV is exposure for potential students.

• The title was changed to University of Houston Stadium Talk

Archived