Yes, it did. And there was another time when Gulf came up with a stupid, failed slogan which went something like this: "Gulf...the gas with guts."

Now admit it. Doesn't that sound just plain stupid? It's no wonder that it failed. It might have contributed to Gulf's demise.

I think that Gulf slogan gave way to another involving a mule and the line "The Gas with Kick". They gave away gold plated tie-tacks fashioned like two horse-shoes...there-in the "Kick". I'm not positive about the slogan, but I am about the tie-tacks, because I still have one. This slogan came about in the early to mid sixties, probably to compete with Humble Oil's "Put a Tiger in your Tank", and the accompanying tiger tails they gave at Humble gas stations, so you could hang them out of your gas door, like you had shoved a real tiger head-first down the gas pipe. Where was PETA back then? HA!

I think that Gulf slogan gave way to another involving a mule and the line "The Gas with Kick".

I remember that very well. I also recall that they had a pair of horseshoe stickers that were made of a kind of orange or red foam to advertise their gas.

But, for some reason, I associate the "kick" campaign with Texaco, not Gulf.

I remember that very well. I also recall that they had a pair of horseshoe stickers that were made of a kind of orange or red foam to advertise their gas.

But, for some reason, I associate the "kick" campaign with Texaco, not Gulf.

I think you are right. Texaco would make more sense, with the Pegasus Mascot and all.

magnol-1.jpg

This was a Dallas Landmark for years, years ago when I would drive in from the South, you could see the winged horse from miles away.

skyline-sunset3.jpg

You can barely make it out now, just a little red glow, amoungst all the skyscrapers.

My grandfather grew up in East Texas in the 1920's (he died 12 years ago), and he used to always remark how the Mobil sign was on the tallest building in Dallas back then when he was little boy driving to Dallas with his Dad for business. Now it barely registers on the skyline.

I think that Gulf slogan gave way to another involving a mule and the line "The Gas with Kick". They gave away gold plated tie-tacks fashioned like two horse-shoes...there-in the "Kick". I'm not positive about the slogan, but I am about the tie-tacks, because I still have one. This slogan came about in the early to mid sixties, probably to compete with Humble Oil's "Put a Tiger in your Tank", and the accompanying tiger tails they gave at Humble gas stations, so you could hang them out of your gas door, like you had shoved a real tiger head-first down the gas pipe. Where was PETA back then? HA!

I don't remember the mule. I do remember some full-service gas stations gave out trading stamps. But I have no knowledge of trading stamps existing anymore.

Mr. Barnes, you are absolutley correct. What was I thinking? Thanks for the correction.

I just remembered something from the old Texaco SERVICE stations. Do you remember over the bay door the words "Marfax Lubrication?" I'll never forget the Fire Chief and Sky Chief grades of gasoline, and on the side of the pump the words "Contains Lead."

Gulf was the orange disc. I remember back then Gulf had three grades of gasoline and Texaco had two. My dad refused to buy Gulf's basic grade called Gulftane because he said that it made his car run bad. He would always buy the middle grade called Good Gulf. He would never buy the premium grade called No Nox.

Back then here in Texas were ENCO stations. ESSO stations were over the border in Louisiana. Now all of them are called EXXON today. ENCO, like Gulf, sold three grades of gasoline. Do any of you personally remember ENCO/ESSO?

• 2 months later...

I found this photo on the front of an old "Houston Travelguide" map the company produced with Rand McNally. The year given was 1972, but I'm sure the photo itself could've been taken a bit earlier.

If I had any guess, this was taken from the east from the upper floors of the Great Southwest Building.

Gulf70snight.jpg

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 1 year later...

I figured this would be as good a place as anywhere to ask, but there's an article on the Gulf Building in this week's HBJ that, in the last paragraph mentions a historical marker dedication at the Main & Rusk entrance at 10 AM this Wednesday (11/26). A tour is said to be offered after the activities and it would include the observation area... Does anyone know more about this, if it's open to the public? etc...

• 8 months later...
Feeling Roomy, J.P. Morgan Shops Its Space

Lender Seeks to Unload Properties Following Bear Stearns and Washington Mutual Acquisitions

By CHRISTINA S.N. LEWIS and ROBIN SIDEL

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. is marketing 23 office properties across the nation in an effort to rid itself of excess space. But the bank's timing, amid the worst property market in decades, means any sale is likely to come with sizable concessions.

The portfolio of properties for sale, with a combined 7.1 million square feet of space, includes four notable towers: One Chase Manhattan Plaza, near Wall Street; Four New York Plaza, also in the Financial District; the former headquarters of Washington Mutual in a downtown Seattle skyscraper that also houses the city's art museum; and a landmarked 1929 Art Deco building in Houston, the former headquarters of Texas Commerce Bank.

Link

• 5 months later...

The Gulf Building has been sold to Brookfield.

"Brookfield Real Estate Opportunity Fund has acquired three local office buildings — including the historic 712 Main in downtown Houston — as part of a portfolio purchased from JPMorgan Chase.

The division of New York-based Brookfield Asset Management Inc. recently acquired 16 buildings with a total of 2.9 million square feet across the country for an undisclosed amount.

CB Richard Ellis Inc. has been hired to lease and manage the historic building. Matt Dunn and Dave Hanusa are handling the assignment."

The quote insertion isn't working, so I just used this, " ".

link: http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/02/08/daily49.html?surround=lfn

The Gulf Building has been sold to Brookfield.

"Brookfield Real Estate Opportunity Fund has acquired three local office buildings — including the historic 712 Main in downtown Houston — as part of a portfolio purchased from JPMorgan Chase.

The division of New York-based Brookfield Asset Management Inc. recently acquired 16 buildings with a total of 2.9 million square feet across the country for an undisclosed amount.

CB Richard Ellis Inc. has been hired to lease and manage the historic building. Matt Dunn and Dave Hanusa are handling the assignment."

The quote insertion isn't working, so I just used this, " ".

link: http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/02/08/daily49.html?surround=lfn

My first job in Houston after returning here from KC in 1966 was at Gulf Oil in their Data Processing Dept. I believe that Texas Bank of Commerce occupied the first floor at that time. Well, one of the larger banks anyway. One of the perks of working at Gulf, besides a discount Gulf credit card, was free checking at that bank. At that time, all the major oil companies had their own credit cards, no Visa or MC back then.

This was during the time of the big Orange Lollipop on the top. Most people thought it was not something befitting the building.

• 6 months later...

Found out about this from a Metro alert:

Due to the fire at the JP Morgan Chase building, METRO has shut down METRORail between UH-Downtown and the Downtown Transit Center and is now running a bus bridge between those platforms. METRORail is running normally between the Downtown Transit Center and Fannin South Park & Ride.

More information:

http://www.khou.com/news/-Firefighters-battle-4-alarm-blaze-at-Chase-building-downtown--101849338.html

Here's the official Houston Architecture Info page about the building.

And a pic of the beloved former Gulf Building:

JPMorganChaseBankBuildingHoustonDowntown-Jan08-002a.jpg

(a.k.a., the Gulf Building.)

This is one of Houston's most beautiful historic buildings. I hope the damage wasn't severe.

With the fire on the 27th floor, you know some of that gingerbread is going to get smoke damage. But then, this might be a blessing in disguise, as the entire top may have to be cleaned.

click2houston.com com updated their report at 10:39PM saying:

"HOUSTON -- A huge fire is burning in a Downtown Houston high-rise.

The four-alarm fire is at the JP Morgan Chase Bank building on Main and Rusk Streets.

The fire started at 8 p.m."

it isn't over yet.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/24820289/detail.html#video

(a.k.a., the Gulf Building.)

This is one of Houston's most beautiful historic buildings. I hope the damage wasn't severe.

TX-00457-C.jpg

I worked there when the orange lolipop was on top. Most of us were not aware at the time but the building then was considered a laughing stock. I do agree, it is one of Houston's most beautiful buildings.

By the end of the news tonight, one of the channels was reporting that the fire was "contained". Can't say for sure which station it was as I was flipping stations for updates.

See, this is what the Chronicle is missing, are a set of photos that tell the story for people who wish that they could've been there. All too often, the Chronicle's photos are random and look like they were taken by a monkey with a cell phone.

Edited by TheNiche

This just in from HFD:

Building Fire at 712 Main

The Houston Fire Department responded to a fire at 712 Main about 8 p.m. last night, August 30, 2010. The fire was contained to the 27th floor of the structure. The 3-alarm fire was tapped out at 12:20 a.m. this morning with more than 270 HFD personnel responding to the scene.

During the incident, seven firefighters suffered minor smoke inhalation. One firefighter was treated on scene and the other six were transported to local hospitals. All have been released from the hospital.

Houston Fire Department Arson investigators and inspectors are currently on scene.

I worked there when the orange lolipop was on top. Most of us were not aware at the time but the building then was considered a laughing stock. I do agree, it is one of Houston's most beautiful buildings.

By the end of the news tonight, one of the channels was reporting that the fire was "contained". Can't say for sure which station it was as I was flipping stations for updates.

Why was it considered a joke? Because of the lollipop?