• 2 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-1-12614131062743_thumb.jpg

Houston police have released a composite sketch of a suspect wanted in

two robbery / sexual assault incidents that happened in less than one

week in the Spring Branch area of the city.

The suspect is described only as a Hispanic male in his 20s or 30s,

about 5 feet 10 inches tall with a thin build. A composite sketch of

the suspect is attached to this news release.

HPD Robbery Division Officer D. Gonzales and Sex Crimes Unit Senior

Police Officer P. Moreno reported:

The first incident occurred about 11:20 p.m. on November 28 in the

victim’s apartment in the 1300 block of Witte. Two unknown Hispanic

males armed with weapons forced their way inside an apartment, tied up

male victims and demanded they give up their credit cards and PIN

numbers. One suspect went to an ATM and retrieved money from the

victim’s account while the second suspect stayed with the victims in

the apartment. While inside the apartment, one female victim was

sexually assaulted and another was fondled.

The other incident happened about 2 a.m. on December 2 at the

victim’s apartment in the 1700 block of Upland. Two unknown

Hispanic males armed with weapons entered an apartment, tied up the male

victim and ordered him to give up his PIN number. The suspects demanded

money from the female victim and one of them then sexually assaulted

her.

Victims in both cases said the suspects spoke with a Honduran accent.

Anyone with information on one or both of these incidents is urged to

contact Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

Investigators in the Houston Police Department’s Robbery Division are

asking for the public’s assistance in locating three suspects wanted

in the robbery of a game room in northwest Houston on October 14.

The suspects are described only as Hispanic males. One is in his 30s

or 40s, 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 200 pounds. He speaks Spanish

with a Central American accent. A composite sketch of this suspect is

attached to this news release. The second suspect is about 30 to 40

years of age, 5 feet 8 inches tall, with a thin build and a Central

American accent. The third suspect is about 25, 5 feet 7 inches tall,

also with a thin build and a Central American accent.

On Oct. 14, the three suspects entered the J & D Gameroom at 8520

Hammerly and pretended to be customers. After spending time playing

some of the game machines, the suspects then pulled out pistols and

robbed the employees and customers. While one of the suspects was

searching a male customer, the customer was shot. The suspects fled the

scene immediately after the shooting.

Anyone with information on this case is urged to contact the HPD

Westside Robbery Division at 281-584-4749 or Crime Stoppers at

713-222-TIPS.

post-1-1262102700932_thumb.jpg

@%@#$@#... Exactly.

"Fire in the Sky" scarred me for life.... I couldnt even watch America's Most Wanted back in the day.

Maybe it's the same sketch artists. Maybe we were actually being invaded by aliens during the 90s, but rather than attack with mass warfare, they decided to rob liquor stores and gas stations.

• 2 years later...

equally impressive:

The Houston Texans were one of the top teams in the league this year, and the same can be said for its cheerleaders. On the cheer team’s website is a convenient scrollable list of its cheerleaders, allowing fans to familiarize themselves with members of the squad. We awarded extra points for the relatively long videos on the team’s site — there's a six-minute piece on the cheerleaders getting ready for a game — as well as being the only NFL

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45990245?slide=8

I thought this was a bad part of town... akin to Alief... is this correct?

I'd say probably not if the value of a recently sold home was in the 420k range, or are you talking about cottage grove.

It's hard to believe that Alief has changed as much as it has.

Edited by samagon

• 1 month later...

I had a guys night out Friday night at City Center. On the way a freind of a friend needed to be picked up. The just moved off Gessner, first street north of I-10 (behind Whataburger and Mr. Carwarsh). They rented a house there having just moved from the Heights. When I asked why they moved, they said "The Heights was overpriced, they got twice the house, twice the room, they are close to everything and the school district doesn't suck."

Of course I live just north of them in Spring Shadows, so I was happy to hear that. My cul-de-sac is now filled with young professionals with small children (like myself). However, I thought we were ahead of the game and that Spring Brach was still fairly low key. When I told them that, they told me that the first place they tried to rent they lost, the second had the tennant offer 3 years rent up front (paid for by some medical employer). He said the whole area is being bought-up or rented by all the new medical staff coming into the area. Not to mention the expansion of City Center and the Energy Corridoor nearby.

Then he forwarded this:

http://sbmd.org/images/stories/downloads/newsletters/sbdm2012q1-web2.pdf

The new flag poles apparently will line Gessner when it is re-done in the very near future. Very exciting news for Spring Branchers.

I had a guys night out Friday night at City Center. On the way a freind of a friend needed to be picked up. The just moved off Gessner, first street north of I-10 (behind Whataburger and Mr. Carwarsh). They rented a house there having just moved from the Heights. When I asked why they moved, they said "The Heights was overpriced, they got twice the house, twice the room, they are close to everything and the school district doesn't suck." Of course I live just north of them in Spring Shadows, so I was happy to hear that. My cul-de-sac is now filled with young professionals with small children (like myself). However, I thought we were ahead of the game and that Spring Brach was still fairly low key. When I told them that, they told me that the first place they tried to rent they lost, the second had the tennant offer 3 years rent up front (paid for by some medical employer). He said the whole area is being bought-up or rented by all the new medical staff coming into the area. Not to mention the expansion of City Center and the Energy Corridoor nearby. Then he forwarded this: http://sbmd.org/images/stories/downloads/newsletters/sbdm2012q1-web2.pdf The new flag poles apparently will line Gessner when it is re-done in the very near future. Very exciting news for Spring Branchers.

I grew up in Spring Shadows, and my wife and I decided to look at homes in the area the other weekend. We spent a half day driving around SB and I quickly remembered why I fled Spring Shadows in the first place. There are still waaaaay too many run down apartment complexes. While I agree that the Heights is overpriced, I would say Spring Branch is too. The nicer areas have already had a run-up in prices. The transitional areas remind me of the time my mom was almost killed by our neighbor's ex-boyfriend as he shot up Blalock in a jealous rage. We decided to take our house hunt back in the loop.

... still waaaaay too many run down apartment complexes.

I agree. The good news is that they are getting demoed. Not as fast as I would like, but it's happening. Also, MetroNational owns several, so it's only a matter of time before those get removed or upgraded. I remeber the heights looked simililar in areas about 10 years ago.

But I agree. The apartments are the problem, really the only problem at this point for me.

• 9 months later...

I took these while while waiting for some photos to develop at Walgreens. These were taken between Bingle and Wirt. Nothing special, but it is what it is - Houston

For those not so familiar with the area, south of Long Point, the neighborhoods tend to be nicer and there are a lot of tear down McMansion rebuilds there. The north side of Long Point is decent but in general not nearly as nice.

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

Edited by lockmat

Thanks for the photos, lockmat. There is a thread about the Hillendahl family cemetery if anyone is not alread familiar: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24514-hillendahl-cemetery/?hl=hillendahl and a little more information about it here: http://www.cemeteries-of-tx.com/etx/harris/cemetery/hillendahlgew.htm .

As I wrote in the cemetery thread, I spent a bit of time on Long Point Road as a child since my grandmother did a good bit of her shopping along that street. It was never a "high end" commercial area - she shopped at K-mart and Weingarten's primarily - but the neighborhood certainly has a different look than it did in the 1960's. One thing that hasn't changed is the cemetery.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting these (and they'll be great years ahead when things change in the area)

I'll have to take some more some time.

Thanks for the photos, lockmat. There is a thread about the Hillendahl family cemetery if anyone is not alread familiar: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24514-hillendahl-cemetery/?hl=hillendahl and a little more information about it here: http://www.cemeteries-of-tx.com/etx/harris/cemetery/hillendahlgew.htm .

As I wrote in the cemetery thread, I spent a bit of time on Long Point Road as a child since my grandmother did a good bit of her shopping along that street. It was never a "high end" commercial area - she shopped at K-mart and Weingarten's primarily - but the neighborhood certainly has a different look than it did in the 1960's. One thing that hasn't changed is the cemetery.

Thanks for the info, we were wondering about the history.

This thread really strikes a chord with me.  I have memories of riding down Long Point, probably in the  late 50s, and seeing the remains of the old farm there, At the time, I think just the old wooden barn and the cemetary remained.  The barn was approximately where K-Mart was built (now the flea market).  They were still there by the time Star Furniture was operating across the street. 

At about the same time, I remember seeing wooden structures that remained from the Voss farm, on Voss Road just south of I-10 today.  There was yet another remnant of an old farm on the NW corner of Hillcroft (Voss) and Westheimer that I think survived until the late 60s or early 70s.  I don't know what family it was associated with, but I'd guess it was from the same era as the other two (mid 1800s).

Near the intersection of Campbell and Long Point stands St. Peter's Church.  On Google Street View, I can see that there is a historical marker there, which I haven't read.  But, as a yountster, I can remember the little wooden building that stands by the main santuary used to have a stained glass window with the year 1848 on it.  The glass is no longer there, I think it was smashed by vandals in the 70s, or thereabouts.  I wish they hadn't done that, but at least the wooden church building is still there.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

So I've been living in Spring Branch West and while I haven't explored the neighborhood too much, there is one character I've seen at least 2-3 times, an man with sunglasses and long, shoulder-length white hair on a bicycle. I imagine he's been hanging around in the area (Blalock Road between I-10 and Westview) for years, anyone else know who I'm talking about?

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Long Point Redevelopment In Spring Branch
  • The title was changed to Spring Branch Real Estate
  • 3 weeks later...

Here’s my prognostication for the future of of Spring Branch, especially the revitalization along Long Point.  I would not recommend buying any real estate in any area zoned to SBISD for at least the next two years, and would sell any you already have now. I think values in the district are at or near peak, and growth is about to stagnate, values may even start to decline, especially north of I-10 where they’ve been regentrifying. The reason for all this comes down to the future of SBISD. The schools are why houses here have always commanded a significant premium over those in neighboring areas zoned to HISD. But between the Texas Leg’s devastating hit job on public school funding and district leadership taking a really bad turn in the last 12 months, SBISD is on a course to go downhill fast.

All schools in the state will be negatively impacted by Austin’s shameful and deliberate starving of public school funding, but SBISD has unique vulnerabilities that mean it will be hit especially hard. SBISD is a small district and it’s one of only two districts that is both majority low income AND has such a high property tax base that it’s a Recapture district, meaning it has to write a huge check to the state every year to be redistributed to poorer states. This year that bill was $87 million. SBISD needed the state to increase the allotment by $1,000 per student just to keep up with rising costs to due inflation and other increased expenses, and it looks like the legislature will only be given them about $90 per student. The following is an excerpt of an email Superintendent Jennifer Blaine sent out to parents in the district:

If the Legislature does not raise the Basic Allotment by at least $1,000, beginning in 2024-2025, there will be significant cuts to all services in SBISD, including, but not limited to programming, educational experiences, and most importantly, safety and security.

Here are the types of changes and cuts our Board of Trustees will be forced to consider:

• Combine schools/change boundaries
  • Change staffing models, including class sizes
  • Eliminate 10-20% of SBISD staff
  • Remove the 20% local optional homestead exemption
  • Discontinue the block schedule model for Stratford High School
  • Reduce programming and/or institute pay-to-play models for athletics, performing and visual arts
  • Discontinue choice and specialized programs
  • Cut safety and security, counseling and mental health services
  • Cut centralized instructional supports, including but not limited to, interventions, Dyslexia services, and college and career counseling
  • Cut business and operations functions that support the district’s safety, security and fiscal management
  • Raise the tax rate

What Blaine doesn’t mention in the email is that SBISD is already hemorrhaging good employees both because the supply of teachers, etc. is so tight and so many districts can afford to pay more and are luring them away, and because the SBISD board’s recent focus on moral panic culture war issues like CRT, gender identity, and banning books is chasing existing staff and potential new hires away. It doesn’t help that the district has been making national headlines for this hysteria, like its recent decision to cancel a field trip to see James and the Giant Peach. There are no official numbers on how many employees the district has lost and why, or how many more won’t return this fall, but when district boards get into banning library books, teachers flee. Resignations were up 18% overall in Texas last year, but after Keller ISD’s board pushed to remove books about gender identity, teacher resignations went up 59%. After Granbury ISD pulled over 125 titles from library shelves, teacher resignations in that district shot up 115%. Between the SBISD board’s new extremist bent and the superintendent saying they’re going to have to lay off a fifth of their workforce the year after next, a decent teacher would have to be crazy not to consider taking a higher paying job at a more financially and culturally stable district. And when good teachers leave, districts go downhill even when they’re not financially strapped.

SBISD already has a divide where the richest parts south of I-10, who control the school board, make sure south of I-10 schools and neighborhoods get prioritized over the more mixed areas north of I-10. If all this rezoning and consolidation they’re warning about happens, I guarantee middle school and high school feeder patterns will be gerrymandered to protect the south, and it’ll be de facto segregation in the district. The people zoned to Memorial probably think this won’t affect them, but it likely will in ways they haven’t anticipated. For instance, Cornerstone Academy is an unzoned school of choice middle school north of the freeway, and it is one of Spring Branch’s shining stars. It’s an in-district charter school, enrollment is kept at about 300 students, who get in via lottery but have to maintain grade and conduct requirements to stay in. Many wealthy Villagers will send their kids to private school if they don’t get into Cornerstone. This is one of these “choice and specialized programs” Blaine said would need to be cut. The School of Choice that used to share the sparkling new campus with Cornerstone has already been shut down. Likely this campus will become a zoned middle school and an older campus will be shut down and moved there.

The Villages will weather the next few years with mild stagnation in property values, probably. West of the Beltway is more likely to see some sales volume and sales price decline. North of I-10 will very likely see significant property value decline and a reversal of its revitalization/regentrification trajectory like that happening along Long Point and Westview.