Spring Branch Real Estate

jookyhc

it's like everywhere else in houston... how much money you spend will determine how much better the schools will be (or will be perceived to be).

most of the schools in the greater houston area (or texas, if you like) are below average (nationally). You will never find a consistently "good school" in a poor neighborhood. It's a sad fact of life. Even "good schools" in the suburbs don't stay that way. Eventually, the price for homes will drop for whatever reason (over building, foreclosure, economy, martians, strip clubs, whatever...) and people with less income will move in, and the people with more income will leave (kinda like "white flight" - which, imo, is more about money than race) further perpetuating the decrease in home values and overall community income and voila - "bad" schools.

when i lived in spring branch in the 80s, i lived in the apartment ghetto hood... the schools i was supposed to go to were bad. we moved to the suburbs, i went to a good school. fast forward to now, and the spring branch schools are good again, and the school in the suburbs is 'bad'.

follow the income if schools is really what you're looking for.

otherwise, know that most schools in the greater houston area about the same. move wherever you want to LIVE and then sign your kid up for some type of educational program like Kumon. They'll get a better 'education'. You won't have to chase schools every five years, thus paying for the price for the educational program (by not increasing your mortgage) and then some, and perhaps your child will end up at the top of the class - which generally means they are going to be a success as the move on, regardless of how good their school was.

If you find a place, ask VicMan about schools.... ;-)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in the Spring Branch area for about five years, and I've been amazed by the continued high level of redevelopment that has been going on. As some have mentioned, Spring Branch is quite a large area with many different subdivisions, but there are some things that tie the entire area together, and prime among them is the school district. The community takes a VERY active interest in the schools across the board, though of course schools in the more affluent areas, such as Memorial High and Stratford High are among the area's best. But even in less affluent areas, the schools tend to be better than in comparable areas.

The areas south of Long Point and east of Blalock have been redeveloping for some time now, and in particular the areas around Spring Valley/Hilshire Village and Brykerwoods have already become quite expensive. In these areas a typical 50's ranch will run about $300,000+, with newer construction typically between $750,000 to $2 million. The ranch houses in these areas are usually sold quickly and then torn down to make way for new construction. The rapid appreciation in land values in these areas is now pushing development further north and west, with some major development projects in the works. But land values to the west and north are still fairly reasonable, and the tear down phenomenon has progressed less in these areas. In particular, in the areas of Long Point Oaks, Spring Oaks, and Spring Branch Woods one is still able to find good examples of mid-century modern houses for a reasonable price - around $200,000+ or so, but this is rapidly changing.

As you can probably tell, I'm quite bullish on Spring Branch as whole. This area was the classic "All-American" affluent Houston suburb in the 60s and 70s, but along with much of the inner ring of 'burbs declined in the 80's. But for the last 10 years or so, first in the area south of Long Point, and now throughout the region, there has been so much redevelopment that Spring Valley/Hilshire Village and Brykerwoods are now more expensive than some areas south of I-10. Much of this is tied to schools, as those areas in Spring Branch zoned to Memorial High, Spring Branch Middle School, Hunters Creek Elementary (all located south of I-10), and Valley Oaks Elementary were the first to redevelop and are now significantly more expensive than other areas of Spring Branch. But as noted above, the redevelopment is beginning to spread beyond this core area. In any case, I'm surprised by the number of folks who are unaware of what's going on here, and whose impressions of the area are stuck in the 80s. Here's a link to a recent article on what's been happening recently in Spring Branch:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2007_4391156

Hope this helps!

G

Edited by G-man

Yes it helps. I currently live in 77023 and really need to move...just not sure where to go. Kingwood looks the best but the damn drive is a killer. Unfortuntely my housing budget is around 240 and under. I am dying for an older house (50-70s) just not sure where to go...we may have kids shortly so schools are important.

Glad it helped. And I agree that the commute to Kingwood would be a killer. Therefore, I think that there is an area in Spring Oaks that I think that you should investigate that's within your budget. This area is just north of Spring Valley and centers on the streets of Ronson, Bayram, and Panatella. It's in a good location and is zoned to Memorial High and Valley Oaks Elementary, but is just now beginning to get the redevelopment that is already further along all around it. here's an example of what you can get for around $240,000:

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

I live not far from here, and the area is quite nice and within walking distance of a very private park and the elementary school. Note that the 1933 built date is likely a misprint for 1953 - there was nothing but farm land around here in the 30s! In any case, I've wondered why these few streets have lagged in price and redevelopment compared to others in the area, and I think it's because those streets exit onto Long Point rather than Westview which appears to be preferred. But I think that this is fairly small issue in the grand scheme of things.

G

Edited by G-man

tried to search but didnt see anything...we are trying to move out of the east end to a place with better schools. A friend said the schools are really good in the area, but I didnt see anything to support on har. Is this a nice neighborhood, or ghetto? I love the mods over there, but also notice prices are a little low...what gives?

Greaser, you can get into 77079 in your price range. Most homes are zoned to Spring Branch ISD, some to KATY ISD in Fleetwood and Barkers Landing, and on the South side of I-10. Granted there aren't a lot of them, but they do come up. They are zoned to Stratford HS, but inside Buzz is that Stratford is more grounded than Memorial right now.But you know there is always something going on between "he said, she said" with those two schools. Both are good though.

Anywho, just another zip code to add to your search.

Commuting sucks and its only going to get worse coming in and out of Houston.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Commuting sucks and its only going to get worse coming in and out of Houston.

VERY TRUE. Time to win the lotto and live in Hill Country ie; Lake Travis area, etc. The population boom and addition of that other city to our population has us busting at the seams. Build an ark? :D

G- What's the current atmosphere at Landrum Middle school? Junior High is the toughest time for kids. Spring Branch is still pretty good I know and Memorial is probably the best junior high in that zone.

We took the dogs to stay at the Houston Dog Ranch, right where Bunker Hill T's into Long Point. Big Lots back there but still extremely mixed. Its tempting to buy in these areas, almost like a land grab, with the way Houston is growing. Those with the biggest lots win kinda mentality.

VERY TRUE. Time to win the lotto and live in Hill Country ie; Lake Travis area, etc. The population boom and addition of that other city to our population has us busting at the seams. Build an ark? :D

Hey Vertigo, now Lake Travis is starting to bust at the seams. And worse, with lots of transplanted !gasp! Californians. Sometimes progress is sad to see. The Hill Country I grew up loving hardly exists anymore. And the days of the common man buying a lot and putting a simple house or a trailor on it are loooong gone. :( Luckily, South Texas is still fairly wide open.

Hey Vertigo, now Lake Travis is starting to bust at the seams. And worse, with lots of transplanted !gasp! Californians. Sometimes progress is sad to see. The Hill Country I grew up loving hardly exists anymore. And the days of the common man buying a lot and putting a simple house or a trailor on it are loooong gone. :( Luckily, South Texas is still fairly wide open.

Heck even almost all the way to Lake LBJ/Horshoe Bay has been broken up into ranchettes and burbs. We had to say, "Ok boys put your hands on either side of you eyes and look right there. See that? That's what this whole area looked like 10 years ago."

G- What's the current atmosphere at Landrum Middle school? Junior High is the toughest time for kids. Spring Branch is still pretty good I know and Memorial is probably the best junior high in that zone.

We took the dogs to stay at the Houston Dog Ranch, right where Bunker Hill T's into Long Point. Big Lots back there but still extremely mixed. Its tempting to buy in these areas, almost like a land grab, with the way Houston is growing. Those with the biggest lots win kinda mentality.

Kate - It's an interesting question regarding Landrum. Almost all of the Valley Oaks Elementary attendance zone is also zoned to Spring Branch Middle, except for Monarch Oaks and a small section of Spring Oaks, which are zoned to Landrum. I'm not sure how widely this is known, but the SBISD board has been granting waivers to middle school students from these areas to attend Spring Branch Middle even though they are zoned to Landrum. The rational being to keep them together with the 90% of their classmates zoned to SBM. The practical effect of this is that NO ONE in Monarch Oaks/Spring Oaks sends his middle schoolers to Landrum, even though Landrum gets quite good state rankings. In addition to Spring Branch Middle, the local 6-8 graders attend Cornerstone, Westchester Academy, or the St. Mark Lutheran School. Needless to to say, the confidence of the community displayed in MHS and VOE is not shown vis-a-vis Landrum.

I agree that it really is tempting to buy into some of these areas. As I mentioned in previous posts, when I first moved here in 2003 there was very little redevelopment west of Blalock, and absolutely none north of Long Point, but it has since spread to these areas. You're tight, that in some places it's still quite "mixed", but I think that a tipping point has been reached, and will only accelerate when the new 120 acre development at Hammerly and Emnora is completed. That at Bunker Hill north of I-10 in my opinion stil lhs great potential because the land and houses there are still relatively reasonable compared with sites further east.

G

Edited by G-man

• 2 months later...

The following is a portion of an email I received today from Rep. D. Bohac

BOHAC: POSITIVE QUALITY OF LIFE CHANGES IN SPRING BRANCH MAKE THEIR MARK IN 2008

HOUSTON--State Rep. Dwayne Bohac is pleased to report a number of improvements in the Spring Branch area will have positive impacts on the community. Some of the enhancements include the beautification of two I-10 intersections, Gessner and Bunker Hill, the reconstruction of Long Point Road, a substantial increased law enforcement presence, and retail development.

"There are so many different projects underway. Whether they are spearheaded by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), the Spring Branch Management District or from new business in the community, the revitalization of this historic area is becoming more evident with each passing day," said Bohac.

I-10 at Gessner and I-10 at Bunker Hill

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the Memorial City Management District are collaborating to beautify the intersections of Gessner and I-10 and Bunker Hill and I-10. TxDOT is rebuilding the intersections as part of the Katy Freeway expansion.

After the intersections are complete, the management district has a master plan and funding to install landscaping, Texas-style architecture, and new traffic lights that resemble gateways. Brick pavers will also be used at both intersections to create a unique, interesting design pattern in the roadway.

"When all is said and done, these intersections will be much more welcoming sites as 'gateways to Spring Branch,'" Bohac said.

On top of this green space design improvement, the Spring Branch Management District will soon be adopting an extensive esplanade landscape design master plan for the Spring Branch community.

New Shopping Center: Village Plaza at Bunker Hill

In addition to work being done by governmental entities, new business will make its mark at Bunker Hill Road and I-10, where Fidelis Realty, Inc. is developing a 46-acre, 520,000 square foot shopping center north of I-10. It is expected to open in a year.

The center will include a 127,000 square-foot H-E-B market, which will combine a regular H-E-B supermarket with features from the company's more upscale Central Market. Other major anchor tenants include PetsMart and Circuit City.

Allen Hassenflu, of Fidelis Realty, said the shopping center will also include multiple restaurants on pad sights near the feeder road giving residents north of I-10 more eating choices. Restaurant names will be disclosed when all leasing details are finalized.

"The hard work of our local leaders to create well-planned, thoughtful economic development is paying off," Bohac said. "I believe this kind of new business development is exactly what we need to breathe more life into Spring Branch."

--snip--

continued........

Increased Law Enforcement Presence

To make the community safer, the Spring Branch Management District has contracted with the Precinct 1 Harris County Constable's Office to provide police patrols within the management district's boundaries. Acting as a "force multiplier", these officers recently began patrolling and are augmenting the city of Houston's law enforcement presence.

David Hawes, Spring Branch Management District Director, said two supervisors and six deputies are now patrolling the district, and another patrol position will be added soon. The nine constables work exclusively for the management district and patrol the streets daily, with a higher concentration of officers on the street during high crime periods. Their work began this past November with an intense focus on problem apartments, where HPD has recorded a high volume of "calls for service."

"Business owners and residents want to feel safer in their community, and an increased law enforcement presence is vital to this effort," Bohac said. "In fact safety is one of the main reasons we worked with business leaders and community leaders to create the Spring Branch Management District. We also wanted to promote enhanced urban design features and green space, and we wanted to focus on transportation improvements--especially along Long Point and Gessner."

Reconstruction of Long Point

To ease traffic concerns, the City of Houston will begin major construction this year in an ongoing effort to update Long Point. The Spring Branch Management District will help as well. "Councilmember Toni Lawrence has made the complete reconstruction of Long Point one of her main goals," said Bohac, "and it is one of my highest priorities as well."

The city will begin enlarging the intersection of Long Point and Wirt Road by adding turn lanes. The city has also budgeted for changes to be made on both sides of Long Point between Pine Chase and Johanna drives.

In addition, the city has funds to improve the intersection of Long Point and Blalock Road and a stretch of Long Point from Hollister to Pech roads. This project is slated to begin at the end of 2008.

"Spring Branch is among the best places to live, work and raise a family, and we are now at a turning point to a brighter future," Bohac said.

• 3 months later...
Depends on where you are. That area is "more Houston than Houston" so to say.

You can be drving through a rather poor and beat-up section of crappy apartments and pawn shops and then two blocks later you're looking at $800,000 homes. For this reason there are a lot of little gated streets and cul-de-sacs, which makes the area seem a little bit segregated to me.

A lot of people don't like this but if you are willing to live next to something a little less desirable, you might find a bargain, especially considering that there is a lot of redevelopment going on similar to what's happening in Meyerland and Oak Forest.

Generally speaking , the closer to I-10 you are, the nicer the houses and businesses and Westview is somewhat nicer than Long Point. The further west you go, the area also deteriorates a little bit, especially between Campbell and Gessner, which somewhat corresponds to the dividing line between Memorial and Spring Woods high schools.

Has anyone talked about the faultline that runs through those areas? Caused by extracting ground water in the early/mid 1900's. Surely someone has a post here on HAIF...neighborhoods along Westview show the visual damage, streets dip, house rooftops sag. If you are looking for it, it's very obvious. My geology teacher showed my class several examples of the damage. Apparently, "geo peeps" study the area quite frequently. I've driven through those nabes on my own, to see the damage. It's a shame. :o

Edited by NenaE

Looks like the shopping center at the Northeast corner of Blalock and Westview is getting a much needed makeover.

Saw that myself. Definitely much needed. I am loving my purchase in the area... things are a changing. If only the apartments around here would go... the values in this area would absolutely skyrocket if that happened.

Saw that myself. Definitely much needed. I am loving my purchase in the area... things are a changing. If only the apartments around here would go... the values in this area would absolutely skyrocket if that happened.

It's my understanding that an apartment complex can only apply for an apartment "permit" every 15 year, and many of the complexes are coming up on their second renewal...at 30 years. I'm told that many permits wont be getting renewed and the apartments will be torn down.

I know nothing about this aside from what I was told by a crazy neighbor.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't bother me one bit to see the apartments on Cedar Post/Westview go away. Understand everyone needs a place to live, but man, have those started inhabiting the drudges. They are pretty old, I think I heard they were built late 60's. I was @ a town meeting sometime ago and I heard mention about how apartments have a "lifespan" of 40 years and they do one of two things. Either torn down or MAJOR RENOVATION.

• 7 months later...

Been a while since perusing this site. Thought I was ahead on what Fiesta was turning into but some other poster beat me to the punch. Anyone out there aware of demolitions of OOOOOLLLLDD apartments in the area? Reason for my asking is Cedar Post Lane, off of Westview has a sign posted for brand new patio homes sites for sale. Thought this was interesting as they have several old apartments in the area.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I've been looking high and low for detailed information about what the plan is for the Long Point Re-Development that's been happening. I see signs saying "Stop The Long Point Land Grab" but I can't find any information on what that means.

Then this weekend the wife and decided to get dinner at Otilia's and we noticed the intersection just before it is amazing. All new, very beautiful brickwork inlaid in the street. Is this the plan for any more intersections, all of Long Point? Is this a result of the "Land Grab"?

Sorry, I'm new to all this. I just wanted to get smart on the area, this was our first house (Spring Shadows) and in 2 years it has appraised 50k higher than we paid. Our 20% load was literally swallowed when we refinanced and locked in at 4.5. Thngs in this area have been getting better, but I am very interested to see if the momentum behind this transitioning of Spring Branch will continue. I noticed they installed a car meter at the north side of the feeder of I-10 and Gessner, hopefully a sign of more things to come. Also, of course we have 12 schools being replaced, but other than this site I really can't find a good resource for new information and existing plans.

Like, are they going to re-build Gessner, the street looks terrible from I-10 to Clay?

Can anyone fill me in on anything else they know of that hasn't fallen under the "Bunker Hill" post?

I was pleased to see the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market on Longpoint close, however looks like Wal-Mart will be opening a Supermercado de Walmart in its place. I do not see that as a good thing for the area.

Why not?