Spring Branch Real Estate

jookyhc

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was part of Toni Lawrence's push in making Long Point a major corridor. a few key intersections were going to get nicer improvements. the turning lanes will help get traffic through.

Wirt is looking nicer now. hope the SuperMercado stays clean. maybe it will pick up some of the Fiesta business.

not sure about the north side of Long Point..those neighborhoods are not improving.

Edited by Corbusier

this was part of Toni Lawrence's push in making Long Point a major corridor. a few key intersections were going to get nicer improvements. the turning lanes will help get traffic through.

Wirt is looking nicer now. hope the SuperMercado stays clean. maybe it will pick up some of the Fiesta business.

not sure about the north side of Long Point..those neighborhoods are not improving.

It wouldn't surprise me to see it eventually happen. The neighborhood southwest of Wirt/Long Point is doing a lot of tearing down old houses and building huge McMansions.

I have to admit that the intersection turned out very well (Long Point @ Wirt).

I saw this the other day. It looked really out of place.

Usually the neigborhood elevates first, then 10 years later the street gets a face lift.

This is definately a different approach.

I suppose a similar phenomena is taking place at Belaire and Fondren in Sharpstown--although, from what I've heard, many of the MCMs of the neighborhoods nearest to that intersection are being bought and refurbished and the surrounding neighborhoods are seeing a rise in property values.

The redevelopment/improvement of Long Point has been an on-going issue for some time now, and I too saw the renovated Long Point/Wirt intersection for the first time a few days ago, and agree that it looks great. As was noted in some of the links posted in previous responses, due to the fact that property values to the south of Long Point have increased so greatly, redevelopment has in fact moved to the north. But everyone agrees that in order for things to really improve there, the physical appearance of Long Point will need to be improved.

The intersection redesign is one of the major projects supported by the the Spring Branch Management District, which has some designated taxing authority over commercial enterprises located within Spring Branch. Here's an overview of the SBMD's plan:

http://sbmd.org/sbmdprojects.aspx

In fact, coordinating the redevelopment of Long Point was one of the primary reasons for the creation of the SBMD by the State. I think that these management districts, which get relatively little notice, will play an increasingly important role in redevelopment in Houston. As for the issue concerning the acquisition of property along the right of way to the north of Long Point, see the second article from Michael Falick's Blog from a while back:

http://mikefalick.blogs.com/my_blog/2006/0...lawrence_r.html

In particular, the residents of Rollingwood, a very unique Spring Branch community, were concerned about the potential loss of green space to the north of the road. In any case, it's good to see the continued improvements currently taking place in Spring Branch.

G-man

Edited by G-man

The redevelopment/improvement has been an on-going issue for some time now, and I too saw the renovated Long Point/Wirt intersection for the first time a few days ago, and agree that it looks great. As was noted in some of the links posted in previous responses, due to the fact that property values to the south of Long Point have increased so greatly, redevelopment has in fact moved to the north. But everyone agrees that in order for things to really improve there, the physical appearance of Long Point will need to be improved.

The intersection redesign is one of the major projects supported by the the Spring Branch Management District, which has some designated taxing authority over commercial enterprises located within Spring Branch. Here's an overview of the SBMD's plan:

http://sbmd.org/sbmdprojects.aspx

In fact, coordinating the redevelopment of Long Point was one of the primary reasons for the creation of the SBMD by the State. I think that these management districts, which get relatively little notice, will play an increasingly important role in redevelopment in Houston. As for the issue concerning the acquisition of property along the right of to the north of Long Point, see the second article from Michael Falick's Blog from a while back:

http://mikefalick.blogs.com/my_blog/2006/0...lawrence_r.html

In particular, the residents of Rollingwood, a very unique Spring Branch community, were concerned about the potential loss of green space to the north of the road. In any case, it's good to see the continued improvements currently taking place in Spring Branch.

G-man

Amazing post, thank you so much for the information. SBDM.org has been added to my bookmarks and I will tune in regularly to see the updates. The pdf's were packed with great info.

Anyone know what the boxed in things will be at gessner and I-10 and Bunkerhill and I-10. They are on the New freeways underpass.

Second any clue to the bridge to no where is about designs or blueprints over at Gessner and Memorial city?

Third, Longpoint remodel.. shame they don't get it, a nice wide four lane with median would be fine, but they seem to cut it back down to the old width just pass the Wirt...

• Like 1

Anyone know what the boxed in things will be at gessner and I-10 and Bunkerhill and I-10. They are on the New freeways underpass.

Second any clue to the bridge to no where is about designs or blueprints over at Gessner and Memorial city?

Third, Longpoint remodel.. shame they don't get it, a nice wide four lane with median would be fine, but they seem to cut it back down to the old width just pass the Wirt...

I know what you are talking about. There appears to be electrical conduit and maybe PVC pipe sticking out of the wooden boxes. I assumed it was going to be some kind of sculpture or water feature like the ones by the downtown rail.

It will be going to the new addition to Memorial Mall, there was a rumor/rendering that showed an aquarium, some thought it may go there. Otherwise I am sure it will just land in whatever retail space fills the gaping hole in the side of the mall.

As far as I know the improvements off Long Point will continue. Look at the Long Point thread, there is lots of promise there.

Edited by SpringShadows

Could anyone provide an update on the improvements to Spring Branch since the February 15th, 2008 posting? Thank you.

Here's an article concerning the recent joint-meeting of the various Spring Branch Super Neighborhoods:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/mem...ws/6349974.html

I'm particularly interested in the new signage and landscaping that is to be installed at various entrances into Spring Branch, as well as at certain intersections within it. Here's a map of where this is to be installed:

http://sbmd.org/Documents/Large_MasterStreetscape_Ver4.pdf

It appears as if this is going to be a fairly substantial project, and I think that it's great that Spring Branch will get its own distinctive look. And as has been noted in previous posts, the redesign of intersections along Long Point has already begun.

G-man

• 4 weeks later...

Here's more on the redevelopment of the Wirt/Long Point Intersection:

http://blogs.chron.com/westsidestory/2009/...ng_point_r.html

http://www.hwcoc.org/en/art/461/

G-man

Amazing post, thank you so much for the information. SBDM.org has been added to my bookmarks and I will tune in regularly to see the updates. The pdf's were packed with great info.

Here's more on the redevelopment of the Wirt/Long Point Intersection:

http://blogs.chron.com/westsidestory/2009/...ng_point_r.html

http://www.hwcoc.org/en/art/461/

G-man

Thanks again as always.

Many of us in the area are extremely enthusiastic about the developments in our neighborhood, hopefully the people instigating these wonderful changes catch wind of how happy many of us are. My wife and I are very successful 30somethings returning to where she grew up to re-invigorate this neighborhood. We could have lived in the Heights but we believe in Spring Branch. My wife wanted to contribute by being a school councilor to some of the more at risk children. She has a masters from Saint Thomas and kept a perfect 4.0, she could have worked anywhere she wanted, and left a much more financially lucrative job to do so. Before she graduated, while in school, she worked ias a teacher recruiter and worked very hard to place the best talent in our district as well.

We are trying to stack the odds in SB's favor!

SS,

I couldn't agree with you more. I moved to an area in Spring Branch near Spring Valley/Hilshire Village about 6 years ago, after also looking at places in the Bellaire, West U, and Frostwood areas. I could already see that that the area was ripe for redevelopment and that there would be a greater potential for increased appreciation, as those other areas had been redeveloping for longer periods of time. And though I am often away on extended businesses trips (as I am at the moment), I am quite the fan of SB and love living there. It offers a wooded location near town, without being in the center of congestion, combing urban, suburban, and even a bit of the rural. And of course the school district is the tops in the area.

It's of note that you compared Spring branch to the Heights, since when I was growing up in the 70s Spring Branch was a much more desirable place to live than the Heights. And though the northern areas of the neighborhood declined in the 80s, the areas south of Long Point really never did, and the area as whole is undergoing an amazing redevelopment. But I'm amazed that this has largely escaped the knowledge of Houston at large (possibly not a bad thing), as many appear to retain impressions from the past, and are totally unaware that it's become basically impossible to purchase a new house in many areas of Spring Branch for less than $800,00+.

I as you look forward to ever better things in SB!

G

Thanks again as always.

Many of us in the area are extremely enthusiastic about the developments in our neighborhood, hopefully the people instigating these wonderful changes catch wind of how happy many of us are. My wife and I are very successful 30somethings returning to where she grew up to re-invigorate this neighborhood. We could have lived in the Heights but we believe in Spring Branch. My wife wanted to contribute by being a school councilor to some of the more at risk children. She has a masters from Saint Thomas and kept a perfect 4.0, she could have worked anywhere she wanted, and left a much more financially lucrative job to do so. Before she graduated, while in school, she worked ias a teacher recruiter and worked very hard to place the best talent in our district as well.

We are trying to stack the odds in SB's favor!

Somebody mentioned the loss of greenspace in Spring Branch.

The biggest loss of greenspace is just about to take place - the Spring Branch horse stables are history. :( Frank Liu is helping to destroy over 100 beautiful acres with another unnecessary townhouse project. How the City/Planning & Development board can approve this is beyond sad. They 'talk the talk' about greenspace...then lick the nearest developer's butt. There are already homes flooding on Blankenship at Hollister. I'm betting that number is about to increase bigtime in the Binglewood/Langwood II area.

There is already an empty cankersore subdivision on Emnora(next to post office). Lui ought to call this obscene project 'Ghost Town Townhomes'. :(

Supposedly there will also be a private school built, too.

Rammer, I'm glad that you brought up the issue of this development as I had intended to post about it earlier. I think this is the development to which you referred in your post:

http://www.dpz.com/pdf/0708-PDSpringBranch.pdf

This is the Andres Duany project with Lovett, and there had been a fair amount of press about it when it was announced in 2007. But in light of the current national real estate situation, I had wondered whether the plan was to move forward with it. Duany is one of the gurus of the "new urbanism" movement, and the plan appears to incorporate a fair amount of greenbelts and other open space. The plans even refer to incorporating the stables into the development somehow. It appears as if this Spring Branch development will be part of the growing trend of mix-use developments in the Houston area.

In any case, if these plans go forward, this will be a major milestone for Spring Branch, and would solidify its continued redevelopment (especially since it would be north of Long Point, though as you point out, this area has already begun to attract a good amount of development). I think that it's been a long time since we've had a 110 acre development this close close in. It would certainly be the largest single Spring Branch development in a generation or more. Again, I hope that the stables will be retained somehow, as I remember when the Pin Oak stables were lost. But maybe this is just the fate of such things when land prices reach a certain level. By the way, I think this development will be primarily single family homes, as the the Lovett townhome development in the area is a separate project, and has already opened across the street (to the west) from this site.

G

Somebody mentioned the loss of greenspace in Spring Branch.

The biggest loss of greenspace is just about to take place - the Spring Branch horse stables are history. :( Frank Liu is helping to destroy over 100 beautiful acres with another unnecessary townhouse project. How the City/Planning & Development board can approve this is beyond sad. They 'talk the talk' about greenspace...then lick the nearest developer's butt. There are already homes flooding on Blankenship at Hollister. I'm betting that number is about to increase bigtime in the Binglewood/Langwood II area.

There is already an empty cankersore subdivision on Emnora(next to post office). Lui ought to call this obscene project 'Ghost Town Townhomes'. :(

Supposedly there will also be a private school built, too.

Rammer, I'm glad that you brought up the issue of this development as I had intended to post about it earlier. I think this is the development to which you referred in your post:

http://www.dpz.com/pdf/0708-PDSpringBranch.pdf

This is the Andres Duany project with Lovett, and there had been a fair amount of press about it when it was announced in 2007. But in light of the current national real estate situation, I had wondered whether the plan was to move forward with it. Duany is one of the gurus of the "new urbanism" movement, and the plan appears to incorporate a fair amount of greenbelts and other open space. The plans even refer to incorporating the stables into the development somehow. It appears as if this Spring Branch development will be part of the growing trend of mix-use developments in the Houston area.

In any case, if these plans go forward, this will be a major milestone for Spring Branch, and would solidify its continued redevelopment (especially since it would be north of Long Point, though as you point out, this area has already begun to attract a good amount of development). I think that it's been a long time since we've had a 110 acre development this close close in. It would certainly be the largest single Spring Branch development in a generation or more. Again, I hope that the stables will be retained somehow, as I remember when the Pin Oak stables were lost. But maybe this is just the fate of such things when land prices reach a certain level. By the way, I think this development will be primarily single family homes, as the the Lovett townhome development in the area is a separate project, and has already opened across the street (to the west) from this site.

G

Where exactly is this? Is it here... http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...mp;t=h&z=15

I was looking for 110 acres of green space.

edit: I suppose it is since I see horses roaming around on live.com's map. It's a little surprising that something hasn't been done at least south of Emnora since nothing is on it, not even horses.

Edited by lockmat

Thanks for the post, G-man.

Where do I begin with this? The keyword associated with all of this is deception.

First, notice that Frank Liu has two plans associated with the Duany Plater-Zyberk diagram.

The second plan has better stormwater retention pond plan. Unfortunately, when you look at the Fenway Development site, they only display the first plan....the less water retention friendly plan.

Also, the description '..and a large field used temporarily as a horse pasture' is ridiculous.

The horses roamed freely from Kempwood to Emnora for at least 20 years! I usually counted about 35-50 horses, one time I counted 75 horses. When I add up the acreage (under the deceptive owner name of 'KEMPSPRING INVESTMENTS LTD') in HCAD, I get 81.41 acres. Perhaps I miscalculated or he owns 28 acres under another name.

Notice that one entry has 2900 Hollister ST, while another has 2900 Hollister RD. There are a total of 4 entries for KEMPSPRING INVESTMENTS. The subdivison to the east of the plan is Langwood II, the structure to the east is Edgewood elementary(lower east).

To make another part of a long story shorter, Frank Liu still hangs out at 5177 Richmond, suite 1166(despite the signage/security desk).

If anyone can help stop the cars, crime, and water coming to this area, please help. :(

• 1 month later...
in case it hadn't already been mentioned...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6451680.html

Lupe Tortilla Mexican Restaurant leased 4,000 square feet in the Echo Lane Shopping Center at Interstate 10 and Echo Lane. Jim Smith Jr. and Matt Strange of Smithco Development represented both the tenant and the landlord.

AWESOME. There are renovations being done next to Kobe Japanese restaurant....and I was wondering what it was going to be. A Lupe Tortillas would be brilliant.

• 2 months later...

So does anyone know what these really nice stone blocks are going to be at I-10 and Gessner & Bunker Hill? Looks possible pedestals for signs, water features or statues. Whatever they are they have conduit or plumbing going to them.

They're going to be four "monuments" so-to-speak to set-off the Memorial City area. I think I read about it in last week's HBJ.

Found it...

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/07/20/tidbits1.html

Drivers on Interstate 10 will soon be able to tell when they’re anywhere near the Memorial City District.

The district plans to install four obelisks beside the freeway as part of a branding campaign in West Houston.

The gateway markers, five stories tall with lighted tops, are scheduled for installation in late September on both sides of the freeway at the Bunker Hill and Gessner intersections.

Commercial businesses subject to assessments for improvements within district boundaries are spending approximately $548,000 for the larger-than-life landmarks.

Edited by Ducks

That is F'ing awesome. Very excited by this!!!

I read another related article somewhere describing how unhappy some the nearby residents were about it. Can't remember why exactly... I'll see if I can find that article.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think the descension is discussed in that article. I just don't know how to login and see the remainder of the article.

Edited by Ducks

Full-length article. Just FYI.

Memorial City stages all-star branding show

Drivers on Interstate 10 will soon be able to tell when they’re anywhere near the Memorial City District.

The district plans to install four obelisks beside the freeway as part of a branding campaign in West Houston.

The gateway markers, five stories tall with lighted tops, are scheduled for installation in late September on both sides of the freeway at the Bunker Hill and Gessner intersections.

Commercial businesses subject to assessments for improvements within district boundaries are spending approximately $548,000 for the larger-than-life landmarks.

Some area residents are less than thrilled with the plan.

“I don’t think anything should be built that close to the freeway,” says Donna Freedman. “It’s going to be a distraction.”

Bases for the obelisks — square wooden structures supported by rebar — have already been installed by the Texas Department of Transportation as part of the freeway widening project.

TxDOT also allowed officials to pick some design elements for the freeway to match the district’s decor.

Perry Pace, project manager for the Memorial City District, says TxDOT painted huge stars on the retaining walls along many miles of the recently widened Interstate 10, and permitted the ones in the Memorial area to carry the district colors.

“It just so happens that our logo was a star, so it worked out perfectly,” Pace says.

In addition, old street signs were replaced last month by new ones adorned with the district’s colors and logos — at a cost of nearly $136,000.

Next up, the district will put in extra landscaping along the freeway.

The star-studded branding project has some area activists upset about the money being spent on these improvements.

Pace assures that revenue generated by the tax increment reinvestment zone (TIRZ) for enhancements in the area is not being used to fund the identifying features.

Edited by Ducks

• 2 weeks later...

Images of the Gateway Markers here:

http://www.memorialc...tch_Current.pdf

and here:

http://www.memorialc.../mcd_info_1.pdf

and finally:

The Gessner Road Widening Projectwill transform this great urban boulevard into a pedestrian-friendlythoroughfare and create a signature entryway to welcome residents and visitorsto the Memorial City area. These improvements includemore lanes, wider sidewalks, improved drainage and picturesque landscape.

The Gessner Widening Project is ajoint effort between the TIRZ-17 Redevelopment Authority and the TexasDepartment of Transportation to rebuild a better street. Construction will begin June, 2008. The project is forecasted to last 18-months.

Widening the section of GessnerRoad, which runs parallel to the Memorial City Mall and the Memorial HermannMemorial City Medical Center will improve traffic flow south of I-10 with the addition of a fourthlane in each direction. Additional lanesfor turning movements will be added in both the north and south bounddirection. These dedicated turn laneswill minimize traffic flow disturbance caused by the heavy access demand foradjacent businesses. All of theimprovements are imperative because Gessner Road is a busy commercial corridor home to retail,medical facilities and restaurants.

Improved drainage and reducedstreet flooding are two more benefits of reconstructing Gessner Road. Two five-foot by eight-foot box culverts willreplace the single smaller pipe that currently conveys the rainfall runoff todrainage channel W151. Increased watershed storage from the oversizedculverts will benefit W151 by providing detention during big rain events; thetwo proposed box culverts connect into an existing 60-inch pipe that conveysthe water to ditch W151. The existing60-inch pipe acts as a restrictor limiting the flows from the new box culvertsto W151. A larger storm sewer is also advantageousto W153, also known as Buffalo Bayou, by reducing overland sheet flow.

Another welcome addition to theGessner Road Widening Project is wider sidewalks. Currently, Gessner Road lacks a sufficient sidewalksystem for friendly pedestrian traffic. That’s because the sidewalk is either too narrow on the west side or isnon-existent on the east side. A new network of eight-foot wide sidewalks willconnect residential neighborhoods to shopping, transit and work and convert theMemorial City area into a walkable community.

Other scenic street designs tobetter accommodate pedestrians, shoppers and tourists alike includetheater-style street lamps, improved signage, bus stop enhancements andlandscape planting. More than 100 largeshade trees, along with hundreds of shrubs and flowers will transform thisactive city street into a scenic streetscape people will want to visit.

In the end, the Gessner WideningProject will reveal a scenic and bustling thoroughfare to serve as the gatewayto connecting people with businesses within the Memorial Cityarea.

Edited by SpringShadows

• 4 weeks later...