Snow possible on Friday

HtownWxBoy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone know how many de-icers IAH has? i heard only one.

half the Continental flights in and out of IAH were canceled today, supposedly the FAA required airlines to cancel since they knew IAH wouldn't be able to handle it (when my 7pm flight got canceled at 9am I called and asked and got that story from multiple agents)

does anyone know how many de-icers IAH has? i heard only one.

half the Continental flights in and out of IAH were canceled today, supposedly the FAA required airlines to cancel since they knew IAH wouldn't be able to handle it (when my 7pm flight got canceled at 9am I called and asked and got that story from multiple agents)

Not sure. Before the snow started I heard the airports say they were prepared... dropped a friend off at Hobby this morning around 9am and his flight was canceled b/c they ran out of deicing stuff... he was able to get out of Intercontinental, though.

Not sure. Before the snow started I heard the airports say they were prepared... dropped a friend off at Hobby this morning around 9am and his flight was canceled b/c they ran out of deicing stuff... he was able to get out of Intercontinental, though.

well the sun is out now, at least visibility won't be an issue.

i'm sitting here waiting on a flight to take off to Austin (which is being de-iced right now supposedly) which is coming back to Houston with my friends, then we have a 9:25pm flight delayed to 11pm. we were originally on a 7pm flight but they got bumped because of flights from austin canceled, so i bumped myself so we're all on the same flight. just glad i'm home and not sitting at the airport, though google is providing free wifi at a bunch of airports:

free holiday wifi

Wow, Chamo, is that your backyard party haven?

If only you were more centrally located!

From the looks of things, south and west of town got the best snow.

We got about an inch and a half in South Katy, but it had a hard time sticking as we were hovering around 38 degrees. It still looked great for about two hours. It was snowing so hard around 11:30 that I picked my kids up from school early. They had a blast.

This was the Rice BRC building at noon. The accumulation did not impress me but the number of flakes coming down was impressive for a while.

img6638h.jpg

img6636p.jpg

One thing I found interesting was that my day was completely normal. Nothing was closed down, nothing was cancelled, etc. All of the students for the class I am TAing showed up at Rice except for two. I expected everybody down here in Texas to freak out at the sight of snow but things just seemed to go on as usual.

Here's another photo of some snow on a roof.

img6662dr.jpg

And some of the heavier snow in the Medical Center.

img6648e.jpg

Love the pictures. The Houston snow played pretty big on the local news up in Chicago, which is surprising to me since the stations here downplayed Katrina until about the third day. I'm at a Starbucks right now and there's a table full of people on the other side of the room talking about the Houston snow.

Wow, Chamo, is that your backyard party haven?

If only you were more centrally located!

From the looks of things, south and west of town got the best snow.

Future site of a Haif get together summer 2010......... Avoiding rush hour is just 10-15 minutes away from Medical Center/Downtown/Galleria so we can do something on a Saturday to make it easy on the drive. Stay tuned.

Ended going out late last night and most overpasses had sand and did not see anything out of the ordinary on the roads. Of course most places were running probably at less than 50% their usual crowds. Nice.

That's more like it. :)

I second that. People always talk about how the heat drains them. It's the cold that does it to me. This cold zaps my energy completely.

I'll agree the snow was pretty, but after couple of hours the novelty had completely worn off. I could never imagine living in this for months on end.

Archived