Mary's At 1022 Westheimer Rd.

dbigtex56

I dropped by Mary's last week; it seemed to be on life support. Even the jukebox wasn't working.

Sunday I ran into someone who said that he'd stopped in there this past Saturday to find it locked up tight. The third-hand rumor is that one of the co-owners had a death in the family and that it was being sold to settle the estate. I doubt if the details of this report are exactly accurate, but regardless it appeared to be closed as of this afternoon.

Anyone have the story, or whether it's going to reopen? Frankly, I think the old girl needs to be put out of her misery.

I dropped by Mary's last week; it seemed to be on life support. Even the jukebox wasn't working.

Sunday I ran into someone who said that he'd stopped in there this past Saturday to find it locked up tight. The third-hand rumor is that one of the co-owners had a death in the family and that it was being sold to settle the estate. I doubt if the details of this report are exactly accurate, but regardless it appeared to be closed as of this afternoon.

Anyone have the story, or whether it's going to reopen? Frankly, I think the old girl needs to be put out of her misery.

I usually stop at the Outpost for a few after work on Tuesdays. Same owner as Mary's. I'll see if I can find out anything.

When Mary's could not host LUEY this year... because the fence was blown down from Ike, from the year prior... and they could not afford to fix it... something was up. When you get to the point where you can't even fix a fence... it's over.

When Mary's could not host LUEY this year... because the fence was blown down from Ike, from the year prior... and they could not afford to fix it... something was up. When you get to the point where you can't even fix a fence... it's over.

And the stalled mural replacement project.

Stopped by the Outpost last night. The owner of the bar was paying 6,500/month in rent and Mary's never drew the crowds to pay for that. He said the only times of the year he made money was around Pride and LUEY, with LUEY gone it was only a matter of time.

man that's steep rent for the size of the place

Not really. You have the front building, the courtyard behind that, another bar and building behind that and another huge courtyard behind that. Factor in the location and the property must be worth a fortune. The taxes alone must be a couple of grand a month. Part of the problem was that only the front part was utilized most of the time.

Edited by west20th

If I'm referencing the correct property, the owners also have a tax delinquency. Also, the appraised value of the property (and condition) wouldn't warrant that kind of rent imo...

For $6500 per month, you can rent a McMansion in Memorial and turn the Texas basement into a bar.

Tragic.

Is it really? Or just a sign of the times? The internet makes large, physical places to meet unecessary. No need for gay bookstores or coffee shops, no need for large dance clubs (Rich's RIP), no need for places like Mary's any more (society is more accepting of gay people now - it being one of the first gay bars in Houston), etc, etc.

Not really. You have the front building, the courtyard behind that, another bar and building behind that and another huge courtyard behind that. Factor in the location and the property must be worth a fortune. The taxes alone must be a couple of grand a month. Part of the problem was that only the front part was utilized most of the time.

That's quite a bit of a land. I hope something cool & walkable goes in there. That intersection needs a face lift - I liked when the cafe opposite had tables out the front on the sidewalk. And why Hollywood doesn't use the front entrance to its space opening onto Westheimer has always puzzled me. That big dark space gives me the creeps.

Is it really? Or just a sign of the times? The internet makes large, physical places to meet unecessary. No need for gay bookstores or coffee shops, no need for large dance clubs (Rich's RIP), no need for places like Mary's any more (society is more accepting of gay people now - it being one of the first gay bars in Houston), etc, etc.

Rich's is still going strong. Saw a great Bad Boy Bill show there last year and it still seems really busy every time I pass by on the weekends. Is it tragic when the oldest gay bar in town goes under? Yeah, I think it is, and yes people still need places to meet.

Oh, and about Mary's, I'm not too sad to see it go. The window art always provided an interesting affect in the hood, but since they stopped, it just looked like a dump.

If they were paying rent, why did not the owner fix the damn fence?

On another note, aren't there people buried in the back or is it just pets? I can't remember. The last time I went was during the Westheimer Art Fest, when it was actually a festival on lower Westheimer.

History:

The Pink Elephant was the first gay bar in Texas. It was somewhere in Midtown to Downtown. Went there when I was 17 or 18 (once).

Empire Cafe was a leather bar called the Different Drum. There was a Tree House in the back. Um.

Across the street, at the antique market, was the Loading Dock. They had a rope swing from a barn loft that swung out over the dance floor.

Carrabba's on Kirby was originally an adult bookstore.

God I'm old, but still kickin' unlike so many of the day.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

There's a lockout notice on the Waugh side of the building dated October 23, stating that keys can be obtained after paying past due rent, etc.

According to the Montrose Gem, the elderly woman who owned the property died, and it's being sold as part of settling the estate. There's a slight chance that someone might want to reopen it, but if so it would still be only for a few months. Townhomes are planned for the back patio, and commercial for the parking lot and main building site.

And yes, the remains (ashes) of several people have been scattered on the back patio through the years, as well as several pets being buried there.

Should be a combination of Pet Semitary and Poltergeist for the new townhome dwellers...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

There's a lockout notice on the Waugh side of the building dated October 23, stating that keys can be obtained after paying past due rent, etc.

According to the Montrose Gem, the elderly woman who owned the property died, and it's being sold as part of settling the estate. There's a slight chance that someone might want to reopen it, but if so it would still be only for a few months. Townhomes are planned for the back patio, and commercial for the parking lot and main building site.

And yes, the remains (ashes) of several people have been scattered on the back patio through the years, as well as several pets being buried there.

Should be a combination of Pet Semitary and Poltergeist for the new townhome dwellers...

From what I heard, there IS someone actually buried there that will have to be exhumed before anything else goes forward.

Don't have much of the details, only that Landry's is the highest bidder so far and that the owner of the lot wants to keep the back portion as a park.

From what I heard, there IS someone actually buried there that will have to be exhumed before anything else goes forward.

Don't have much of the details, only that Landry's is the highest bidder so far and that the owner of the lot wants to keep the back portion as a park.

Wow. That is an extremely kind and generous gesture on the owner's part. :)

...that should make for an interesting Ch 13 news story, when it happens.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am saddened by the loss of Mary's. Although it was never my cup of tea back in the day, nonetheless, it has always been such an iconic landmark that has weathered the storms of change. I've been away from Houston and Montrose for a number of years now. This was one of the few places that reminded me of a time when Montrose was simply magical.

I am saddened by the loss of Mary's. Although it was never my cup of tea back in the day, nonetheless, it has always been such an iconic landmark that has weathered the storms of change. I've been away from Houston and Montrose for a number of years now. This was one of the few places that reminded me of a time when Montrose was simply magical.

Glad that people remember what a peculiar and wonderful place this was in its heyday. Hobos and heiresses mingled*.

*(from Mirriam-Webster: mingle: to bring or mix together or with something else usually without fundamental loss of identity)

• The title was changed to Is Mary's Closed Permanently?
  • The title was changed to Mary's At 1022 Westheimer Rd.