homework assignment

samagon

Hey guys, a bit of background on this.

I have a girlfriend who lives in California, but she really likes what she's heard of Houston, and unfortunately for us, she will be there for another 9 months to a year, she has requested that I take pictures of Houston so we can put them in her apartment so she can see her goals adorning her walls.

I certainly don't want to disappoint her, as it will be beneficial for me to keep this girl around :) (well, I have to get her around before I can keep her around, but you know what I mean).

I have a few spots picked out in my mind of some great locations that I can have as subjects, but I know, since I've lived here my whole life, there are things I take for granted, that someone not from here may find intriguing.

I'd love to get the input of other people who love this town!

Here are some places I've already thought of:

Water Wall

Hermann Park

Japanese Garden

Museums in museum district

Menil/Rothko Chapel

Disco Green

City Hall

River Oaks Theater

Area around Bayou place (Wortham Center, Alley, that park thing)

Some areas along Buffalo Bayou

I'm trying to cater towards her tastes :D she likes parks, cinema, arts, and things of that nature, but I also want to include some other things. So, any ideas you guys have would be awesome.

I'll try to post some of them in here when I am done!

Better idea, have her send pictures to you of California and in 9 months you go there :D

Well you could take pictures of the old restored theater in the Heights on 19th Street, maybe something from Galveston if possible, you mentioned Menil but specifically the Byzantine Fresco Chapel which is just beautiful inside and out, maybe pictures of all the pedestrians on W Gray by the Post Midtown apartments, you said areas along the bayou, but specifically how about a shot from Sabine Bridge at night toward downtown with the blue lighting along the bayou? Note that the lights are on a monthly gradient phase and are bluest during a full moon and whitest during a new moon (it gradually shifts night by night and then shifts back).

Observation deck at the JPMorgan Chase Tower

All around Galveston Bay at sunset/sunrise (Morgan's Point, La Porte, Seabrook, San Leon, Skyline Dr. in Texas City, Galveston, Smith Point)

Armand Bayou

Wildcat Golf Course (great panorama opportunity)

Jogging trails at Memorial Park, or venture back to the sandy banks of the bayou

Get creative with the rooftop levels of parking garages

Mecolm fountain: lightrail and park slope in background

Galleria: skating rink and barrel vault roof

Washington Ave: saturday night entry lines, people watching, signage

LCC: interior shot of stage, drum circle, dancers

Chase Tower: observation deck, look west by south-west

I know the aerials you can't take unless you are wasted (lol) ... but... off the top corner of my head.... to entice someone how wonderful this city is (no hood shots or SW Houston included of course):

Downtown skyline at night

Downtown skyline during day

Downtown with Buffalo Bayou in foreground

Enron Field (aerial with roof open)

Enron Field - from home plate facing center field

Reliant Stadium

Hermann Park

Herman Park Zoo

Sam Houston statue in Hermann Park

Parkwood Park

Hermann Hospital

Medical Center

Aerial of Houston Ship Channel (where bayous meet)

San Jacinto Monument (not exactly Houston... but the battleground is more important historically than anything within the Beltway)

Alabama Theater

River Oaks Theater

River Oaks Drive

Glenwood Cemetery & surroundings (& downtown skyline in background)

Museum District

Rice University

Memorial Park/Camp Logan, etc.

Hermann Park

Houston Arboretum & Nature center

Esperson Building

Hobby Center at Night (inside & outside)

Jones Hall (inside & outside)

Wortham Center (inside & outside)

Main Street Square, the wall-of-water fountain with a train passing in the background. Gus Wortham Fountain. Depending on how good your camera is in low-light situations HALF A MILLION BATS taking off from Waugh Bridge every night. Brazos Bend State Park featuring a bunch of alligators just wandering around free.

I suggest a panoramic view of I45 North if she's considering the suburbs.

Actually, that's not a terrible idea if it's artfully executed in juxtaposition with other photos of Houston. I'd also suggest the vast petrochemical complex visible from SH 225. ...but then, I have an aesthetic preference for what some may consider the grotesque. I know that I'm not alone but then again I'm not exactly typical, it would seem.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I went out tonight and snapped about a dozen shots from the sabine bridge to downtown, and then went over to that circle thingy at smith and bell..

here's my favorite from Sabine street:

skyline.jpg

couldn't have asked for a clearer night!

The first place I always check out when I hit a new town is the jail.

Home sweet home.

I suggest a panoramic view of I45 North if she's considering the suburbs.

At the southbound 610 interchange at approximately 7:45 in the morning... The new construction makes for an especially picturesque view.

• 5 weeks later...

Went for a walk yesterday on the north side of downtown, and then went over to disco.

art on Market Square

PB017597.jpg

La Carafe

PB017598.jpg

shot across market square

PB017601.jpg

looking west from Wortham

PB017603.jpg

looking back at wortham and downtown

PB017604.jpg

just a cool scene?

PB017611.jpg