Pickup driver killed in crash with METRORail

It appears that the driver was at fault in this case (as was the case in all but one of the previous 47,635 METRORail collisions), but that doesn't make me feel any better.

I am a transit professional who supports an expanded rail system in Houston. But this is what happens when you build a train at street level in a city that is home to some of the nation's worst drivers.

I had hoped that there would be a learning curve associated with this thing as drivers learned how to co-exist with the train, and it is true that the number of accidents began to decrease (from a high of 11 in March 2004, for example) as adjustments were made. But it's become clear that, as long as this thing continues to operate in its current configuration, it's going to continue to smack in to drivers who run red lights or ignore "no left turn" signs on a regular basis. And I really don't know if there's anything practical that can be done about it. Put crossing gates at every intersection along the line? Replace the existing rolling stock with smaller streetcars capable of stopping quicker and operating in line-of-sight conditions?

Houston's rail line is the laughingstock of the nation and rail opponents both local and nationwide are having a field day with it. I am very frustrated.

:angry:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pickup driver killed in crash with METRORail

It appears that the driver was at fault in this case (as was the case in all but one of the previous 47,635 METRORail collisions), but that doesn't make me feel any better.

I am a former METRO employee. I am a supporter of an expanded rail system in Houston. But this is what happens when you build a train at street level in a city that is home to the nation's worst drivers.

I had hoped that there would be a learning curve associated with this thing as drivers learned how to co-exist with the train, and it is true that the number of accidents began to decrease (from a high of 11 in March 2004, for example) as adjustments were made. But it's become clear that, as long as this thing continues to operate in its current configuration, it's going to continue to smack in to drivers who run red lights or ignore "no left turn" signs on a regular basis.  And I really don't know if there's anything practical that can be done about it. As a result, Houston's rail line is the laughingstock of the nation and rail opponents both local and national are having a field day with it.

This truly sucks. Thank you, Mayor Brown!  :angry:

Its like saying that since there was a fatality because someone ran a red light, we shouldnt have roads. Instead of Houston's rail line being the laughingstock of the nation, the nation should be laughing at Houston's drivers. There is rail line at street level in Portland, Denver, Europe's old and congested cities, even Calcutta where an ancient tram system somehow makes it way through its busy streets. So if the drivers in one of the largest cities of such a technologically advanced nation as the US cannot coexist with one of the world's newest street rail system or interpret the meaning of red light, then that

Its like saying that since there was a fatality because someone ran a red light, we shouldnt have roads. Instead of Houston's rail line being the laughingstock of the nation, the nation should be laughing at Houston's drivers. There is rail line at street level in Portland, Denver, Europe's old and congested cities, even Calcutta where an ancient tram system somehow makes it way through its busy streets. So if the drivers in one of the largest cities of such a technologically advanced nation as the US cannot coexist with one of the world's newest street rail system or interpret the meaning of red light, then that

I wonder how mcuh this is going to affect our current lines? If people could wait a little longer, instead of rushing to a place they need to be at, alot of accidents could be prevented.

it's a shame.

No fault is to Metro or the rail line. It is all the drivers fault. The took the chance of not taking the warnings and suffered the consequences. I agrree with kzseattle. It's the driver's fault.

We're lucky the trains runs on the street an not in public spaces like in Berline and Amsterdam. Some the trains run right through heaviliy pedestrian plazas with know guards between the people and the train. They are just considerated enough to not think of themselves and move out of the way. I find the biggest problem with Houston drivers and drivers in many large US cities is selfishness. They are always thinking of themselves and not others. I think we can all be guilty of this sometimes, but we should stretch traffic rules and not respond to warnings because of it. Really, is waiting 30 more seconds for red light to change to green that horrible?

I think Metro should respond to these incidents as the driver stupidity. The media needs to reinforce the concept and not play like the train is at fault and Metro should not have to make changes.

The truck driver was at fault. Next time, don't run red lights. This is Darwin at work here folks.

Totally agree...This guy died because he was careless. Same applies to people who fall down onto subway tracks. I don't think the Metrorail is being called the "Laughing Stock" of the nation. It's Lite-Rail, not the NJ Transit system.

people will continue to disrespect red lights and street signs until they are enforced more stringently. in addition, seeing officers disrespect traffic signals when not on an emergency undermines the law as well (i've seen it more than once). it is unfortunate that this man has died. it is also unfortunate to see morning news stories water down the fact that this man ran a red light and address the story as if the train murdered someone. :angry:

Rather than waste scarce transit funds on crossing gates, I'd rather spend the money on perfecting and installing traffic signal cameras. People don't seem to care that they may kill someone (or themselves) by running a red light, but getting hit in the wallet gets their attention.

We can never 'child-proof' the world, so let's hold people accountable for actions which endanger themselves and others.

The truck driver was at fault. Next time, don't run red lights. This is Darwin at work here folks.

I don't usually agree with most things you say, but I have to tell ya you are right on! My husband would joke "It's natural--it's just thinning of the herd." :lol: Survival of the fittest, et al...

I don't understand why people think they can run red lights, period...my car was totaled (and thankfully I was not) in an accident involving a driver that ran a red light. It was horrible. I see broken glass at that intersection (Memorial and the Beltway) every few days and I wonder what is the deal?

I also tend to think we need a don't block the box law. How many times have you been at an intersection that is blocked by cars that just piled into the middle of an intersection that is jammed up and then gets worse because when the light changes, they are still stuck in the middle. Everyday at San Felipe and 610, I see people make the mistake, which the compounds the problem.

I also tend to think we need a don't block the box law.  How many times have you been at an intersection that is blocked by cars that just piled into the middle of an intersection that is jammed up and then gets worse because when the light changes, they are still stuck in the middle.  Everyday at San Felipe and 610, I see people make the mistake, which the compounds the problem.

i thought we did have a law on the books. i understood that if the light is green and you cannot clear the intersection, you do not enter the intersection. if you are stuck in the intersection you can be ticketed for running a red light should it change while you are still in the intersection. this is not enforced enough to make a difference.

I wouldn't feel bad about one death in a year and a half. How many people die on Chicago's train system in a year? Maybe 20 or 30? Almost all of those are suicides. If you count the regional (Metra) rail, the number's more like 70, and mostly accidents.

Maybe in terms of crashes Houston's record is bad. But in terms of deaths, it seems to be doing pretty well.

I wouldn't feel bad about one death in a year and a half.  How many people die on Chicago's train system in a year?  Maybe 20 or 30?  Almost all of those are suicides.  If you count the regional (Metra) rail, the number's more like 70, and mostly accidents.

Maybe in terms of crashes Houston's record is bad.  But in terms of deaths, it seems to be doing pretty well.

Good point.

This can't be good for the image of rail, even though it was clearly the driver's fault. The writers over at some conservative Houston blogs are already having a field day with the man's death. The same people saying the rail is poorly designed by being at-grade are the ones who would be whining the most shrill about the cost of building it above ground.

I wouldn't feel bad about one death in a year and a half.  How many people die on Chicago's train system in a year?  Maybe 20 or 30?  Almost all of those are suicides.  If you count the regional (Metra) rail, the number's more like 70, and mostly accidents.

Maybe in terms of crashes Houston's record is bad.  But in terms of deaths, it seems to be doing pretty well.

As an aside, I saw a Japanese movie on PBS which mentioned the high suicide rate in Tokyo. So many people were jumping in front of trains that it threatened the efficiency of their mass transit system. The government started charging the families of the deceased for the delays, and for cleaning up the resultant mess.

The rate of train/pedestrian 'accidents' dropped sharply. Presumably, the suicidal have found some more socially acceptable, less intrusive means to end their lives.

It is already illegal to block signalled intersection. If the light is green and the only place for you is in the middle of the intersection, you cannot go.

As for the cameras, that is a whole other topic. I'm against them. They can't enforce anything. People in Phoenix, AZ realized that they don't have to pay any ticket issued by the cameras since the ticket is not personally served to them as with any moving violation (parking tickets fall under a different catagory not having to have the officer hand you a ticket). Also, if the person driving the car is not registered, then they are not served the ticket. My partner and I each have car and we are on the same insurance and can drive both, but each is only registered to one person. If he does something in my car and caught on the camera, I'm ticketed.

In Germany, cameras have been used since the 60s for red light running. The government would have the tickets delivered around midnight because they knew that'll be a time you were home. There law had a provision about being served a ticket by an officer and not the mail. Since then they changed the law. No the government can send you a ticket for pretty much anything and you can't really defend yourself. You have to pay whether you are guilty are not.

The loophole in Arizona would also work in Texas. Some people would mention the toll roads have cameras, but the toll roads are not public roadways. The toll roads are private facilities and have their own rules. The same pitfall of a ticket being issued to someone that didn't perform the crime, but the toll road can sight that usage of the facility places you in a different jurisdiction.

Metro needs to stand firm and not do anything to the rail system. A message needs to be placed on TV and around the city that gets the point acros that Metro won't stop if you run the red light or make an illega left turn. These kind of safety messages have been created for regular rail tracks and particularly applies to crossings that doen't have gates. The train companies are never at fault for rail to car accidents.

i thought we did have a law on the books.  i understood that if the light is green and you cannot clear the intersection, you do not enter the intersection.  if you are stuck in the intersection you can be ticketed for running a red light should it change while you are still in the intersection.  this is not enforced enough to make a difference.

DIdn't know this already was a law. Good to know its just not being enforced, even though i see cops at that intersection everyday. I guess some signs would maybe help, but probably not. I know the problem is caused by the 610 North entrance, but god I get mad when I try to turn left to go 610 south and there is some idiot in the middle of the intersection blocking it. Even better are the honking showdowns that take place when someone is blocking, honking definitely solves a lot of problems like that.

Really if people just honked more, there would be no traffic in Houston anymore.

sure, kinda like there's no traffic in manhattan?

It was a sad attempt at a joke, I guess sarcasm doesn't eminate too well in written form.

Actually took it from letterman, one night they did top 10 things to do when stuck in traffic. One was just honk more, that always seems to get things moving. Another was play the see if your head fits in the glove compartment game.

Not apologizing for the poor dead guy or anything (I'm a huge Metrorail supporter), but if you cross downtown Main street with any frequency, then you probably know just how messed up the 'smart signals' are on Main street as compared to the rest of downtown. Green for 5 seconds then back to red. Sometimes red with no trains in sight. Sometimes red right right as a train comes through, etc. There is no consistency, so this may have contributed to the problem. I know I have personally *almost* run the red because I saw a sea of green lights and not the red Main street light.

I have no doubt that Metrorail had a green light, but I think perhaps the issue is more complicated than "it was the driver's fault."

Well If they would stop being so cheap, there would be a better rail in place then the one know, and people wouldn't have to worry about cars hittingf the train. They should really consider a subway or elevated rail. I know they have considerd both and said the subway would be downtown, but who thinks there really going to do it? There going to build the same rail like last time on the street.

It was a sad attempt at a joke, I guess sarcasm doesn't eminate too well in written form. 

Actually took it from letterman, one night they did top 10 things to do when stuck in traffic.  One was just honk more, that always seems to get things moving.  Another was play the see if your head fits in the glove compartment game.

sorry, i wasn't sure.

My partner and I each have car and we are on the same insurance and can drive both, but each is only registered to one person.  If he does something in my car and caught on the camera, I'm ticketed.

You would also be ticketed if your partner parked your car in a no-parking zone, or failed to pay a parking meter. I believe there also would be consequences if you allowed an unlicenced driver to use your car, and he was subsequently in an accident.

What I propose is that both the driver and the owner of the car be held liable for running a red light. If the driver cannot be apprehended, the owner is still responsible for his car illegally being in an intersection. In other words, running a red light would be two seperate offenses; one for the car, one for the driver. In the case of a camera-issued ticket, only the owner of the car would be ticketed. If the infraction is witnessed by a policeman, the driver would be ticketed the same as our current system.

I assume that people already loan their cars only to people they trust; this doesn't seem like much more of an imposition.

Archived