Lola Restaurant At 1102 Yale St.

segovia

If it's order at the counter and pay at the counter, I'm not tipping right there. I usually leave a buck or two for bus boys if that is the case. When they throw a server in there at places you order at the counter, that's just annoying. Usually at these places you get to pay at the end and not up front, so you get a chance to tip based on service. Tipping at the counter up front before you get any service is asking to get screwed. Have a few bucks in those cases and tip cash when you're done. The amount should be dependent on service received, and in my opinion should be no more than 10% because you've taken out the hardest part of their job, managing your order.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it's the way you were raised. White trash usually can be lousy tippers and stiff on occasions where they were "taught". Waitstaff at restaurants should be treated just like bartenders or taxi drivers - they are both low skilled service jobs that depend on tips. Stiffing waitstaff (when someone comes to the counter or your table and takes your order and then delivers the food/bev to you) will get spit in your food or worse - I've seen it (not done that). In fact I even know someone who stiffed on a credit card tab - the waiter used the credit card number to buy a couch and sent the couch to the house of the guy that stiffed him. Next time you go into a place where you stiffed someone and you get a really really really friendly welcome back...

Having waited tables and bartended for 13 years, I can tell you these people do exist, but they are the minority. Most waitstaff is honest and moral and would not spit in anybody's food. I did hear of a fine dining establishment where the waiters went back and urinated on a certain customer's mink coat for past misdeeds, but that could be all talk. They are no longer in business, I don't remember who told me so don't come asking.

My tipping rules:

Satisfactory service gets 20% on food tab plus $2 per drink. Exemplary service gets >20%. Unsatisfactory service is a quickly sliding scale. If I'm slightly dissatisfied, maybe 15% and $1 per drink. Anything greater than slightly dissatisfied is 0. I do not hesitate. Our tip box is our carrot or stick, depending on the server.

Counter service, 0. Take-out, a dollar or two because they have to bundle up the plasticware, put it in a box, etc.

Some places blur the line. Order at the counter but a server brings it to you. I'm still working on a system for this...

Lola is the last kind. You order at the counter and they bring you your food.

I am generally a 20%+ tipper. I tip 20% and then add a buck or two on to the end. Let's say my tab was $40. I would leave $50 because at the end of the day that extra $2 over 20% doesn't make a huge difference to me, but psychologically for a waiter it can be huge. I know because I waited tables for 10 years. I also know a lot of waiters are living tip to tip (like paycheck to paycheck, except they don't get paychecks for the most part) and I know it can be a struggle.

At the counter service places, I imagine all employees are making at least minimum wage. Therefore they are not living off the tips. The tips do make life easier for them- it's not easy making at or near minimum wage, which is also less than the average waiter makes. So, since I am of the financial means to do so, I leave a few bucks in the jar when I have cash on me. If I don't have cash and there is no tip line on the credit card slip, I don't feel terrible leaving nothing but it's not my preference.

Could you contribute a little more to the dialogue if you bump a 2 day old thread? :)

he must justbe saying how mind-blowingly awesome we are and how valuable our opinions are. he is now better educated on everything from how to tip at various restaurants to the pros and cons of protesting a demo permit. he is a better person for having found HAIF and just wanted to thank us for it.

mcook2002- you are very welcome :wub:

he must justbe saying how mind-blowingly awesome we are and how valuable our opinions are. he is now better educated on everything from how to tip at various restaurants to the pros and cons of protesting a demo permit. he is a better person for having found HAIF and just wanted to thank us for it.

ha - something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

4 total tries, I've never had one GOOD experience with Lola's or DragonBowl. The food is just very sub-par , bottom line. Good riddance if you ask me

More specifics would be helpful.

For instance, I consider being fed morsels of food by gyrating bellydancers a "good experience", so I can agree with you that I have never had a "good experience" at Lola. Never been to Dragon Bowl, but Pink's has good pizzas.

If you consider the food at Lola subpar, you should establish what "par" is. To me, the combination of food/price warrants only an occasional visit from me, based mainly on convenient location. I wouldn't call it a "greasy spoon", but they aren't really trying to be more than a neighborhood joint.

I have only had breakfasts there, because the ambience seems to fit that best for my taste. I can say thier offerings are roughly "on par" with but less greasy, more "fresh" and much pricier than Andy's, and better food than 11th Street Cafe (which I only patronized once five years ago). I will also say they had better fix their toaster, it doesn't seem to toast well.

• The title was changed to Lola's @ Yale & 11th St.
  • The title was changed to Lola's At Yale St. & 11th St.
  • The title was changed to Lola Restaurant At 1102 Yale St.

Archived