More News From The Charette

Near town had another presentation from the ULI

-- this time the idea of closing streets near the intersection of westheimer and montrose and reclaiming that space for parks--specifically Lincoln street and westheimer--

there are other streets that don't seem "necessary " for traffic flow that might also be considered-- -- lovett (both sides-- to yoakum west -- roseland east) at montrose? or Grant street from california to westheimer ? Is that a viable way to get more "green" space however small-- and is that a good idea?

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

Near town had another presentation from the ULI

-- this time the idea of closing streets near the intersection of westheimer and montrose and reclaiming that space for parks--specifically Lincoln street and westheimer--

with the number of street people in the vicinity, would you be upset if they congregated at this new park?

Closing Lincoln street isn't the worst idea I've ever heard. Closing Grant or Lovett is not workable.

I agree. So let's say this thing gets built. Like some other poster before me said... how many street people do you want to hang out at this place? Not to mention dead people. How would this affect Nikko Nikko's and La Mexicana?

There are 3 businesses' curb cuts on that little stretch of Lincoln. I'm sure they would object.

There is a residence and business curb cuts on that little stretch of Grant.. again, I'm sure they would object.

StreetView

25' strip of benches and trees next to a gas station, a burger king, and within 100 yards of the covenant house, etc...

Not that street people don't need shade too... but usually when they move in to a green space, parents with kids and singles walking dogs move out.

Neat, I hope they put a good sized walk/bike path in any of these green spaces.

You already have a 25' strip of barely used paving.. what more bike path do you want right there?

Edited by Highway6

There are 3 businesses' curb cuts on that little stretch of Lincoln. I'm sure they would object.

There is a residence and business curb cuts on that little stretch of Grant.. again, I'm sure they would object.

StreetView

25' strip of benches and trees next to a gas station, a burger king, and within 100 yards of the covenant house, etc...

Not that street people don't need shade too... but usually when they move in to a green space, parents with kids and singles walking dogs move out.

You already have a 25' strip of barely used paving.. what more bike path do you want right there?

Do you see a lot of parents with kids around Westheimer @ Montrose or something? I sure don't.

Do you see a lot of parents with kids around Westheimer @ Montrose or something? I sure don't.

I see lots of kids at Cherryhurst Park constantly, not to mention you have a private school.. both within a couple hundred yards of this location.....

This is being brought up by the Neartown Association... are you saying they want to build a park for adults only ? Do no kids live in Neartown ?

I see lots of kids at Cherryhurst Park constantly, not to mention you have a private school.. both within a couple hundred yards of this location.....

This is being brought up by the Neartown Association... are you saying they want to build a park for adults only ? Do no kids live in Neartown ?

Cherryhurst Park is lovely, but any park built this close to Montrose @ Westheimer is going to be populated by the street kids, which should relieve some of the pressure from local businesses that sometimes have to chase them off.

Okay.. well streetkids need parks too, fine. Are the Neartown association and the residences that proposed this idea on the same page as you? Do they believe they are building green space for themselves or greenspace for the streetkids ??

Someone up above wanted a nice little 150' long bike path to zoom back and forth on in this location... did he mean he wanted a walk/bike path for the streetkids to pace back and forth on ?

• 4 weeks later...

Would they? I suppose a knee jerk business owner without the common sense to see that a plaza in front of his business would attract pedestrians, and therefore potential customers, but not every business owner is knee jerk stupid.

I don't think 8 blocks away qualifies as a "couple hundred yards", but if the streetkids gravitate toward a plaza that replaces a street they already hang out on, how does this endanger moms and toddlers at a park 8 blocks away? And why must EVERY park ever built contain a jungle gym and playground for the kids? Last I checked, teenagers and adults live here too. Is this just your biological clock ticking, or do you really believe that every park must be toddler-centric?

I don't think 8 blocks away qualifies as a "couple hundred yards", but if the streetkids gravitate toward a plaza that replaces a street they already hang out on, how does this endanger moms and toddlers at a park 8 blocks away? And why must EVERY park ever built contain a jungle gym and playground for the kids? Last I checked, teenagers and adults live here too. Is this just your biological clock ticking, or do you really believe that every park must be toddler-centric?

And can we please stop referring to Montrose as Neartown? Please? The push has been successful in renaming Fourth Ward/Little Saigon to Midtown and the Galleria to Uptown, but c'mon, Montrose is the most established neighborhood name in the city. What's with this push to give Houston's neighborhoods Manhattan-styled names? At least in Manhattan, Uptown, Midtown and Downtown are geographically accurate. What's next, the Heights is SoHo and East End is Greenwich Village? We can call the Fifth Ward Queens and the Third Ward Brooklyn while we're at it. The possibilities are endless!

rolleyes.gif I couldn't agree more. It really peaves me when they start changing our traditional borders. One example is slapping River Oaks on something that is clearly not in RO.

When the woman was hit on her bicycle by the fire truck, Dominique (Ch2) said that the accident happened in the RO area. Give me a break, Dunlavy is straight up Montrose.

rolleyes.gif I couldn't agree more. It really peaves me when they start changing our traditional borders. One example is slapping River Oaks on something that is clearly not in RO.

When the woman was hit on her bicycle by the fire truck, Dominique (Ch2) said that the accident happened in the RO area. Give me a break, Dunlavy is straight up Montrose.

Ha, really? Terrible. Dunlavy @ West Gray is pretty River Oaks-ish but certainly not Dunlavy @ Westheimer.

Edited by kylejack

Nobody rides bikes in River Oaks unless they're doing it indoors on a stationary because their personal trainer has them on a "spinning" regimen.

Ha, really? Terrible. Dunlavy @ West Gray is pretty River Oaks-ish but certainly not Dunlavy @ Westheimer.

Actually, River Oaks Shopping Center is in Montrose. Shepherd in the boundry to the west. SW Frwy to the south. The north is Allen Pkwy from Shepherd to Taft. East is Taft, zig zag Genessee, Helena, Bagby, Spur.

Edit: Super Duper Neighborhood - http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/suprnbhds/SN_LU_Maps/SN_24.pdf

Edited by rsb320
  • Like 1

And can we please stop referring to Montrose as Neartown? Please? The push has been successful in renaming Fourth Ward/Little Saigon to Midtown and the Galleria to Uptown, but c'mon, Montrose is the most established neighborhood name in the city. What's with this push to give Houston's neighborhoods Manhattan-styled names? At least in Manhattan, Uptown, Midtown and Downtown are geographically accurate. What's next, the Heights is SoHo and East End is Greenwich Village? We can call the Fifth Ward Queens and the Third Ward Brooklyn while we're at it. The possibilities are endless!

There are 23 neighborhood civic organizations that send representatives together to an umbrella organization-Neartown--according to their website--The Neartown Association was established in 1963 by a group of dedicated individuals seeking to improve the quality of life in Houston's unique and historic inner-city neighborhoods. Undaunted by the time-consuming community-building process, they were not willing to wait for someone else to save and restore their home front, nestled between downtown Houston and the Houston Medical Center-- i'm thinking the actual footprint is 59 south, Shepherd on the west, Dallas on the north and Bagby on East----(-hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Montrose?!?) why they wouldn't name it Montrose when they organized I can't fathom- but it was 1963. . . . -----.Annise Parker was a Neartown president . So does everyone who says Montrose mean Neartown?--no. But after attending the meetings for 4 years--everyone at those meetings who says Neartown is thinking of Montrose. . . . . . . at least the geography is on target--Montrose is "near" town--------the other labeling--"midtown" or "Uptown" you have to wonder about.

What's next, the Heights is SoHo and East End is Greenwich Village?

No, the Heights is Houberry. (Mayberry in Houston, in case you needed it explained). We did fully explore this moniker, though. "Woodlands with a conscience" and "Woodlands on crack" were two runners-up.

I digress to the original topic. Editor, where is the emoticon for smoking some'n?

Yeah, I agree. It was my understanding that "Neartown" was originally dreamed up by realtors who wanted a generic name because "Montrose" had connotations that could scare off clients. The Chronicle uses "Neartown" for its neighborhood edition. What a joke.

As for "Uptown", that was purely a marketing effort to rebrand the Galleria area. They just lifted the name from the existing Uptown neighborhood at Main & Holcombe. I assume most people still refer to it as "Galleria area".

Agreed.... Midtown is accurate because it's in the MIDDLE of the two TOWNS (downtown and the Med Center). I think Neartown should be the East End because it's NEAR downtown. Montrose should STAY Montrose.

I like East End, but it is way too ambiguous, anything that can be confused with Pasedena is way to ambiguous in my opinion!

Near Town is cool though, since it is, very near town!

but then, how far out would near town go?

Scott? Lockwood? Wayside?

Lockwood/Elgin, would make the most sense in my mind. which would put me in Near Near Town.

Edited by samagon

EaDo is easily the worst offender of them all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to More News From The Charette