Timbergrove Information & Developments

PureAuteur

The antiques mall/co-op on Yale on the block with the pharmacy. Old stuff/antiques are pretty personal and hard to quantify, but I've always found good things there, and the dealers are always willing to deal.

Not a 'business,' but the public library. It's convenient to go there at lunch. The only branch I use.

Collina's. I go for lunch with a friend every 3 or 4 weeks for lunch, have been going for 2 years now. Almost always get meatball sandwiches.

Kaboom.

And purely for sentimental reasons from when I lived in the Heights many years ago and did a lot of eating out at 3 am, Spanish Flowers and Andy's.

If I lived there now, I'm sure the Shiloh would be on the top of the list.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are so many places I've heard good things about, but still haven't tried yet... Then there are other places that I like, and that I'm really glad are here, but that I don't go to that often for whatever reason - sometimes just because it's the kind of business you don't go to regularly... So this is just my short list - local places I go to pretty regularly, or have started going to pretty regularly.

Restaurants/Bars:

Onion Creek

El Gallo de Jalisco

King Biscuit

Pink's

Berryhill

Shade

Big Star

Antidote

Shops:

11th St. Kroger

Airline Farmer's Market

Kaboom Books

Penzey's

C&D Hardware

Asia Market

La Michoacana for their wonderful tortillas.

Laredo Taqueria for serving us breakfast almost every Saturday since our child was old enough to leave the house.

Tansu for some of the best window shopping, and coolest gifts we've ever given.

Penzey's for our well stocked spice drawer.

Thai Spice for delivering to our home some decent food.

Citgo on 11th and Yale for the simple repairs to our older car without "finding" a whole lot more to "fix."

C&D whereas my father's hardware store was better, sadly it made an exit from the landscape over twenty years ago now. So, thank you for being a good hardware store and staying in business - if I had only the Depot it would really be sad. And, I try to buy more than just a screw or bolt there, since that doesn't keep good hardware stores around.

Basics: Fiesta, Fiesta Beverage, Kroger Signature, HEB Pantry @WTCJ, Valero @W16th, Supercuts, Heights Uptown Cleaners (Porchman does not iron), Chase (ok...modestly better than my matress)

I second these bolded ones...I also do not iron and won't make the wife do it for me - why should I when it's about a buck a shirt? Walking to the bank is fun. Riding your bike into the lobby is more fun. They asked for it when they said I couldn't take the bike through the drive through.

I would like to add whatever they cook outside at the Fiesta 23rd@Shepherd on the weekends. I say whatever because I've had sausage, chicken, fajitas, tacos, and probably other stuff I can't remember. It just smells so good it lures you in.

I like Gabby's too.

Wind Water Gallery (good source for last minute gifts in variety of price ranges), Penzeys (things are better with fresh spice), La Michoacana @ W 14th (sometimes Porchman doesn't want to drive - hem- or can't :blush: to get staples or tacos) .

I've been wanting to try La Michoacana, and to check out Wind Water Gallery. I'm curious about both. Heard the La Michoacana tacos are good...

Supercuts

Good Lord, why, when Doug's Barber Shop is around and centrally-located (off of 11th and the boulevard)? Doug's would certainly get my vote for one of the most valuable businesses in the Heights, and not just because it's another place to get a haircut - they're an absolutely integral part of the community.

Washington Mutual on W 19

Not for long - I was using the ATM in the lobby there last weekend, and a notice popped up on the screen indicating it was closing soon and their business would be transferred to a Chase branch, presumably the one a little further down 19th. Just when I was getting used to the convenience of having a WaMu there, too. :angry:

Not for long - I was using the ATM in the lobby there last weekend, and a notice popped up on the screen indicating it was closing soon and their business would be transferred to a Chase branch, presumably the one a little further down 19th. Just when I was getting used to the convenience of having a WaMu there, too. :angry:

wow.. really? was it not just changing it's name to Chase or really closing the location?

They just built that building too.. what will become of that?

Most Valuable:

C&D Hardware (MVP for sure - this place is great)

Prince Cleaners - cheap

Harold's - great service

Berryhill - tasty

Vietnam - also tasty

Shade - $$ but very tasty

Textile - confession: have not been yet and $$$$ but world-class restaurant from what I've heard

Big Star Bar - this is a great spot for drinks

Dry Creek - good casual fare

Kaboom - cheap books

Retropolis - cheap threads

Chic Warehouse - cheap furniture

The beer bars - Shiloh, Sara's, Jimmy's etc.

Could be something, but not quite there (yet):

Andy's - great space, good hours, just bland

11th Street Cafe - great space but not quite tasty enough

Onion Creek - needs wait service (and less hokey signs)

What Heights needs:

Ice creamery open at night

A couple more casual restaurants (non-chain)

Good Lord, why, when Doug's Barber Shop is around and centrally-located (off of 11th and the boulevard)? Doug's would certainly get my vote for one of the most valuable businesses in the Heights, and not just because it's another place to get a haircut - they're an absolutely integral part of the community.

Until a couple of months ago, Doug's was the only place I have gotten my hair cut in the last three years. Until then, the haircuts ranged from above average to excellent. However, the last one I got there was the worst haircut I can remember getting in 40 years. A one-armed blind man having a seizure could have done a better job. Besides it looking bad, he had just smoked a cigarette and did not wash his hands and he stunk. He left my hair wet and rushed me out as fast as he could. I looked like I needed a haircut the very next day. It will be a long while before I go back in.

that valreo has to be the busiest gas station in side the loop. there are always, always people there.

not sure which Valero Corner store you're talking about. But I vote that everybody boycotts the one at Shepherd & I-10. They don't do enough to keep their patrons safe there and there are ALWAYS shady characters there. A friend was carjacked there back in November.

What Heights needs:

Ice creamery open at nightA couple more casual restaurants (non-chain)

thank you! i have been beating that drum ever since i moved to the heights. in fact, i even know the perfect location- that abandoned building that LOOKS like it was originally an ice cream shop behind the Tamale Factory, across from the Optical building. they would have all the Hogg kids after school and make a killing and then all the families out for a walk at night after dinner or on their way home from Berryhill. honestly, why doesn't someone with some business acumen open it!

not sure which Valero Corner store you're talking about. But I vote that everybody boycotts the one at Shepherd & I-10. They don't do enough to keep their patrons safe there and there are ALWAYS shady characters there. A friend was carjacked there back in November.

the valero on studewood and 10th-ish.

the valero on studewood and 10th-ish.

Too funny. I have a dozen convenience stores to choose from on the route between my office and any errands I do in the Heights, but if I need to stop, it's always at that one. Must be some weird signal, like a dog whistle or something.

thank you! i have been beating that drum ever since i moved to the heights. in fact, i even know the perfect location- that abandoned building that LOOKS like it was originally an ice cream shop behind the Tamale Factory, across from the Optical building. they would have all the Hogg kids after school and make a killing and then all the families out for a walk at night after dinner or on their way home from Berryhill. honestly, why doesn't someone with some business acumen open it!

I always thought that old filling station at 14th & Oxford would make a great ice cream shop. Is it still there?

Too funny. I have a dozen convenience stores to choose from on the route between my office and any errands I do in the Heights, but if I need to stop, it's always at that one. Must be some weird signal, like a dog whistle or something.

If there is ever an emergency, such as the entire Heights burns down, or a terror attack, everyone in the Heights has agreed to meet at that Valero. It's even in my deed restriction. I stopped there at 7 tonight to get a coke, and it was so crowded that I had to park on 9 1/2 Street. The worst part of Hurricane Ike is that Valero did not reopen for 2 weeks. I nearly cried waiting for it.

I always thought that old filling station at 14th & Oxford would make a great ice cream shop. Is it still there?

I took this photo on Sunday, so it's still there. I hope someone does something with the building.

3212052199_d18c92335c_m.jpg

This one?

3167843259_e9f58df8d8_m.jpg

It's funny because I remember, not too many years ago, there was an ice cream shop in the old filling station right across from Berryhill. It didn't last long, but maybe it was ahead of its time. I can't remember if it overlapped with Berryhill - but I don't think it did.

3087970554_e5fb504681_m.jpg

tmariar- yes, that's the one. it would be perfect. the bottom picture was a weird home store of some sort when we moved here- not like a place you would shop but it had some funky stuff. the windows never made me want to go in but it didn't last long...

as far as the old gas station, the cost to clean up the chems on that site would probably make something with a small profit margin like an ice cream shop impossible. this is what the hubby has repeatedly told me as i have repeatedly said "that would make a great ice cream shop." he also mentioned that there is just something icky about ice cream where gas used to be. lol

tmariar- yes, that's the one. it would be perfect. the bottom picture was a weird home store of some sort when we moved here- not like a place you would shop but it had some funky stuff. the windows never made me want to go in but it didn't last long...

as far as the old gas station, the cost to clean up the chems on that site would probably make something with a small profit margin like an ice cream shop impossible. this is what the hubby has repeatedly told me as i have repeatedly said "that would make a great ice cream shop." he also mentioned that there is just something icky about ice cream where gas used to be. lol

I live near by this intersection and always think that it would be a great Coffee/Ice Cream combo shop..

A while back when it had for-sale signs out, the whole corner lot with the neighbouring two houses on either side was on the market for close to 700K.. That would take A LOT of ice cream to even pay for the note on it..

Another (small) problem is that the building itself is very small. It would most definitely need additions and if it were to be somewhat of a restaurant, it would have to be brought up to code. Also, most likely the underground gas tanks were removed some time ago, but if not, that would be additional cost. And as for seating, even with a modest addition in the back, most seating would have to be outside. While I could see some novelty with the large porch, during the summer, it would be unbearable with the heat and not be enough space to retreat inside.

Also, location.. Is there enough foot traffic/car traffic here to either be where people want to take the trip to? 14th st isn't that busy a road like 6th, 11th, or even 20th.. Plus you'd have to consider the residents nearby..

700K seems like quite a steep initial investment in just the property.. If I had a ton of cash to try it out, I'd be all over it.. but so far, the asking price is too steep for this kind of business..

Cheers!

zippy- in my mind, i never pictured a 'restaurant' type. more of counter service with picnic tables outside. back east, we have a lot of places like that which are seasonal. there is a looong ice cream season in houston, tho... but, yeah, that's too much of an investment for an ice cream cone window...

I've noticed throughout the years how Yale Street is starting to shape up. The old Eckerds is looking better and needs some businesses there soon. A lot of small businesses that you can shop at too. When I was a kid, I used to walk down Yale and 16th to school. If I can remember right it used to be an eyesore with cars and oil stained dirt on that southwest corner. Now there are townhomes...a huge renovated victorian home....a small auto place ....and Cosa Bella Day Spa. I walked into Cosa Bella and thanked the owner for making this corner look a whole lot better. She was extremely polite and now is my stylist..haha. Her sister owns the business right next door too.

My list....

the valero on studewood and 10th

Andys

I'm not a fan of the Creeks (especially because of their service)...if they can fix this it would be great.

19th street shopping!

Riding your bike into the lobby is more fun. They asked for it when they said I couldn't take the bike through the drive through.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who's done this.

Essentials for me:

Teotihuacan on Airline (we are there at least once a week)

Wolf's cleaners

Studewood Fiesta

I second these bolded ones...I also do not iron and won't make the wife do it for me - why should I when it's about a buck a shirt? Walking to the bank is fun. Riding your bike into the lobby is more fun. They asked for it when they said I couldn't take the bike through the drive through.

I would like to add whatever they cook outside at the Fiesta 23rd@Shepherd on the weekends. I say whatever because I've had sausage, chicken, fajitas, tacos, and probably other stuff I can't remember. It just smells so good it lures you in.

I like Gabby's too.

20thStDad doesn't use 20th St Discount Cleaners? Owner is super nice and they've worked with us on the occasional dry cleaning issues - which seem to be inevitable regardless of where I've been.

20thStDad doesn't use 20th St Discount Cleaners? Owner is super nice and they've worked with us on the occasional dry cleaning issues - which seem to be inevitable regardless of where I've been.

Where is it? I've never been loyal enough to a dry cleaner to not switch. Do they do it on site or ship it off? One thing I don't like about Heights Uptown is they ship it off, so sometimes it doesn't make it back in time. Good thing I never urgently need it.

Archived