Damn, it's HOT

rsb320

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

think think it ended up being the 2nd hottest according to Tim Heller

* I previously wrote that 2009 was the warmest on record. But I got an email from the National Weather Service. Apparently there was a mistake in their records. Data from 1905-1907 was missing from the climate database. Once those records were added, it was revealed that 1906 was actually the hottest June on record with average temperature of 85.9

think think it ended up being the 2nd hottest according to Tim Heller

* I previously wrote that 2009 was the warmest on record. But I got an email from the National Weather Service. Apparently there was a mistake in their records. Data from 1905-1907 was missing from the climate database. Once those records were added, it was revealed that 1906 was actually the hottest June on record with average temperature of 85.9

Good News... today should be the last day of 100F+ weather for at least for a little bit... a frontal boundary is pushing in from the north... it should bring us increased clouds and rain chances beginning on Monday which will at least put our afternoon temperatures in the low to mid 90s where they belong as opposed to the upper 90s / low 100s. It's not a huge cool down but it's better than nothing... I mean it is still summer in Houston so it's going to be hot / humid. B)

Good News... today should be the last day of 100F+ weather for at least for a little bit... a frontal boundary is pushing in from the north... it should bring us increased clouds and rain chances beginning on Monday which will at least put our afternoon temperatures in the low to mid 90s where they belong as opposed to the upper 90s / low 100s. It's not a huge cool down but it's better than nothing... I mean it is still summer in Houston so it's going to be hot / humid. cool.gif

I'm holding you to it. You better not be wx'ing poetic.

I'm taking tomorrow off. If it does rain, I intend to bask in it. (Watch HPD active incident reports for a 314). biggrin.gif

I'm holding you to it. You better not be wx'ing poetic.

I'm taking tomorrow off. If it does rain, I intend to bask in it. (Watch HPD active incident reports for a 314). biggrin.gif

Not sure if everyone will see rain... there is a good band of rain / storms slowly pushing in from the north right now. The clouds alone, however, will keep temperatures from reaching 100F like we have been seeing... should top out in the mid 90s this afternoon... give or take a few degrees.

It's been over 100° neartly every day in June and through today. I haven't had more than a trace of rain for so many months that I can't remember the last time I got any. It was 107° yesterday, many days have been in excess of 105°. It's brutal here!

What's slightly dissapointing too is that a lot of those trees along the freeway are dead. They won't keep growing with more water, will they? Sad times for Houston beautification

I'm more than "slightly dissapointed" about the trees along the Katy. The majority of the trees have now been cut down by TXDOT, and they just left them laying on the ground. Maybe a secondary crew will shred them, I don't know. Had they been given the slightest bit of care (irrigation), many of the trees could have been saved, and the Katy would have been a very nice freeway in 10 years.

I'm more than "slightly dissapointed" about the trees along the Katy. The majority of the trees have now been cut down by TXDOT, and they just left them laying on the ground. Maybe a secondary crew will shred them, I don't know. Had they been given the slightest bit of care (irrigation), many of the trees could have been saved, and the Katy would have been a very nice freeway in 10 years.

From the looks of it, they at least trimmed away dead limbs from the ones on 45N. I can't tell if they chopped any down.

My uncle said he saw a story on local news that said when they hired the company to plant them, they agreed to water them once a week.

The ones near the Woodlands are in good shape though. I guess montgomery county is in charge of those??

From the looks of it, they at least trimmed away dead limbs from the ones on 45N. I can't tell if they chopped any down.

My uncle said he saw a story on local news that said when they hired the company to plant them, they agreed to water them once a week.

The ones near the Woodlands are in good shape though. I guess montgomery county is in charge of those??

Whoever was in charge of taking care of the Katy Freeway did absolutely nothing. I just don't understand it. You would think at least a small amount of pride would exist out here, but it doesn't.

From what I read/heard (don't remember where) TXDOT dropped the ball. The installers of the trees were under contract for irrigation. When the contract ran out and was not renewed, they stopped watering. Duh.

They are going to try and replace them with TXDOT funds and private donations. This incompetence really pisses me off. Mad Face (I can't get Emoticons to work)

They are going to try and replace them with TXDOT funds and private donations. This incompetence really pisses me off. Mad Face (I can't get Emoticons to work)

Who's going to give them money for trees if they can't take care of them?

From what I read/heard (don't remember where) TXDOT dropped the ball. The installers of the trees were under contract for irrigation. When the contract ran out and was not renewed, they stopped watering. Duh.

Who's going to give them money for trees if they can't take care of them?

Maybe Trees for Houston should campaign for watering trucks. (?) It would fit with their protection mission.

My neighbor had threatened to do the naked Hokey Pokey (Brave Combo version) in the yard if it didn't rain today. Guess even the fates have their endurance limits.

Brave Combo played at Disocovery Place just before the hot spell. (It was a great show.)

Now, I'm trying to imagine that crowd doing a naked Hokey Pokey. Or a naked Chicken Dance....

This heat wave is getting critical.

Texans asked to conserve power

With power as expensive as it is, who's not already conserving? I turn the thermo up during the day, but I'm not going to keep it so hot while I'm there that I shrivel up and die.

I got my power bill yesterday that covered the entire month of June. I was surprised (and pleased) that it only went up $11 from the previous month. I double-checked to make sure that it was an actual reading, and it was. Maybe it had something to do with the humidity being relatively low during the June heatwave. Urgh, I just checked the temp and it's 99. Here we go again.

With power as expensive as it is, who's not already conserving? I turn the thermo up during the day, but I'm not going to keep it so hot while I'm there that I shrivel up and die.

I got my power bill yesterday that covered the entire month of June. I was surprised (and pleased) that it only went up $11 from the previous month. I double-checked to make sure that it was an actual reading, and it was. Maybe it had something to do with the humidity being relatively low during the June heatwave. Urgh, I just checked the temp and it's 99. Here we go again.

And no mosquitos. I mean, I am sorta glad there hasn't been a lot of standing water. Mosquitos suck worse than the heat in my opinion.

I also hate having to run inside ... not only is it hot, but either I am getting more susceptible, or the sun seems ... stronger(??)

And no mosquitos. I mean, I am sorta glad there hasn't been a lot of standing water. Mosquitos suck worse than the heat in my opinion.

I also hate having to run inside ... not only is it hot, but either I am getting more susceptible, or the sun seems ... stronger(??)

Another thing with the lower humidity is that when the sun goes down, it seems to be cooler outside, especially if there is a slight breeze.

Archived