Top Beer States

houstonmacbro

They probably think it's immoral or something.... :wacko: ................. :lol:

god blessed us with shiner, tx which beget shiner beer. there are other beers who call texas home; however, i'd rather not attach our reputation to those less than perfect labels.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - ben franklin

I decided to stop drinking with creeps. I decided to drink only with friends. I've lost 30 pounds. -- Ernest Hemingway

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -- Ernest Hemmingway

I drink to make other people interesting. -- George Jean Nathan

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -- Henny Youngman

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind. -- Humphrey Bogart

Why do I drink? So that I can write poetry. -- Jim Morrison

Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Welhelm

"i so love google" ;)

Yeah, we still can't buy alcohol (including beer) here on Sundays before noon. What's that all about if not some religious prohibition...?

Yea that is pretty stupid. I was actually surprised at how LIBERAL alcohol laws are here in Texas compared to Pennsylvania (a more liberal state) where I grew up. Things have gotten a little better up there, but growing up and living there I remember you couldn't buy beer or wine at food stores or convenient stores like you can here... you could only buy beer at beer distributors and wine at liquor stores or wine stores. You also could not buy any alcohol on Sundays. I know you can now buy wine and spirits on Sundays and I believe they can now sell wine and stuff in food stores... not completely sure, though.

Ooo... you also can't buy Grain Alcohol in Pennsylvania. They stopped selling it in the 90s to deter binge drinking in college. FORTUNATELY my University was a short drive from the Maryland border so we would go on road trips to get it there for fraternity parties... good times. B)

From wikipedia...

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board holds monopolist rights to the distribution of all wines and hard liquor in the commonwealth. To this end, the agency owns and operates Wine & Spirits retail locations, commonly referred to as "state stores," in all 67 counties.

"i so love google" ;)

How did we ever live without it!!?? :unsure:

I mean, if I want to buy a beer at 10a on Sunday morning, why should religion say I can't?

This happened to me last week. When I realized that I could not buy beer, I decided, "What the heck. Can't get drunk. Might as well go to church." Then I found a bootleg liquor store in the hood on my way to church, so I bought some bootleg booze and went back home.

It is a great incorrect generalization to blame blue laws on "religion."

Not every religion frowns on alcohol. In fact, those HAIFers who are also my Facebook "friends" will have seen a number of references to me drinking beer supplied by, and inside of, churches.

But if you need a beer at 8am on a Sunday, and can't possibly wait a couple more hours, then I have one word for you: rehab.

god blessed us with shiner, tx which beget shiner beer. there are other beers who call texas home; however, i'd rather not attach our reputation to those less than perfect labels.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - ben franklin

Shiner is terrible! The only one standable is Shiner Blonde, but still...

It is a great incorrect generalization to blame blue laws on "religion."

Not every religion frowns on alcohol. In fact, those HAIFers who are also my Facebook "friends" will have seen a number of references to me drinking beer supplied by, and inside of, churches.

But if you need a beer at 8am on a Sunday, and can't possibly wait a couple more hours, then I have one word for you: rehab.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to who in fact created and pushed the blue laws, since my source was so clearly wrong...according to you.

Oklahoma is the WORST. I went for a football weekend and couldn't believe that bars have to serve weak beer. Everything was basically "near beer." I am not much of a hard alcohol drinker, but I switched to jack and cokes pretty quickly.

And seriously, if there is any place that makes you want to get drunk and forget where you are, Oklahoma would be it.

Shiner doesn't count as dark beer. If your definition of good beer involves any light beer I feel sorry for you. It's one thing to like eating at McDonald's every now and again, but to say it is the best food around...not attacking you personally, just speaking generally now.

Also, the Sunday morning law simply forces drinkers to plan ahead. I think this is a good way of keeping disorganized drunks (or those who drink into forgetfulness) sober for 10 hours per week. I'm ok with it. What I'm not ok with is the need to keep liquor out of grocery stores and gas stations. More competition = cheaper liquor.

Shiner doesn't count as dark beer. If your definition of good beer involves any light beer I feel sorry for you. It's one thing to like eating at McDonald's every now and again, but to say it is the best food around...not attacking you personally, just speaking generally now.

Also, the Sunday morning law simply forces drinkers to plan ahead. I think this is a good way of keeping disorganized drunks (or those who drink into forgetfulness) sober for 10 hours per week. I'm ok with it. What I'm not ok with is the need to keep liquor out of grocery stores and gas stations. More competition = cheaper liquor.

Shiner Black is pretty good and Bock is at least better than any light beer. Ever have a Dark Castle at Baker Street Pub? It's a black and tan made with Guinness and Newcastle Brown Ale. Awesome beer.

Shiner Black is pretty good and Bock is at least better than any light beer. Ever have a Dark Castle at Baker Street Pub? It's a black and tan made with Guinness and Newcastle Brown Ale. Awesome beer.

I'm definitely a beer nerd and somehow hadn't heard of Shiner Black until last week, you're the third person to mention it. Now I really want to find some. I never see it at Kroger, haven't been to the Gingerman in a long time, haven't brewed in 3 years, and had a baby last year, so my exploration of new beers in the past few years has been very limited. Poor excuses, I know. I plan to brew in 2 weekends, I will try to find some for that event.

I haven't had a Dark Castle but it sounds right up my alley. I have had the black & tan. To me black & brown sounds even better. Good beers range from dark to light in color...they just aren't lite.

I'm definitely a beer nerd and somehow hadn't heard of Shiner Black until last week, you're the third person to mention it. Now I really want to find some. I never see it at Kroger, haven't been to the Gingerman in a long time, haven't brewed in 3 years, and had a baby last year, so my exploration of new beers in the past few years has been very limited. Poor excuses, I know. I plan to brew in 2 weekends, I will try to find some for that event.

if you tried Shiner 97 anniversary beer back in 2006, then you had Shiner Black.

It did so well they made it a regular.

Look for the Shiner Commemorator for this years 100 year anniversary entry.

its very close to a doppelbock -sort of similar to Salvator. Sweet with a high alcohol content.

Good but not as good or distinctive as the 97 (black).

I've never brewed. Wish i had. I don't think I have the patience though.

Archived