Top Beer States

houstonmacbro

Look for the Shiner Commemorator for this years 100 year anniversary entry.

its very close to a doppelbock -sort of similar to Salvator. Sweet with a high alcohol content.

Good but not as good or distinctive as the 97 (black).

The dopplebock styles always nail me with the alcohol content. Had some Abita AndyGator recently and after a couple of bottles it felt more like six!

I noticed that the other day the Houston Chron had an editorial supporting the state bill to allow beer sales on premises for brewers. It was nice to see them support St Arnolds that way.

The dopplebock styles always nail me with the alcohol content. Had some Abita AndyGator recently and after a couple of bottles it felt more like six!

I noticed that the other day the Houston Chron had an editorial supporting the state bill to allow beer sales on premises for brewers. It was nice to see them support St Arnolds that way.

It's not just St. Arnolds. There's a brewery on E. 5th Street in Austin that does some ridiculously good beers, called Live Oak Brewing, and I'm sure that they'd like to sell it directly at their plant, but that's just not an option right now.

If I'm not mistaken, there are several other laws out there at the state level that discourage microbreweries, and I'd like to see them removed. As much beer as Texas consumes, we really should have a larger footprint on the microbrew scene.

I'm definitely a beer nerd and somehow hadn't heard of Shiner Black until last week, you're the third person to mention it. Now I really want to find some. I never see it at Kroger, haven't been to the Gingerman in a long time, haven't brewed in 3 years, and had a baby last year, so my exploration of new beers in the past few years has been very limited. Poor excuses, I know. I plan to brew in 2 weekends, I will try to find some for that event.

I had a few Shiner Blacks a couple of weeks ago. They had them at the Randall's at the corner of Westheimer and Shepherd. Very tasty.

On the dark vs light thing, I like good beer, no matter what color it is. Guinness Extra Stout or Asahi Super Dry, if it's yummy I'll drink it.

I had a few Shiner Blacks a couple of weeks ago. They had them at the Randall's at the corner of Westheimer and Shepherd. Very tasty.

On the dark vs light thing, I like good beer, no matter what color it is. Guinness Extra Stout or Asahi Super Dry, if it's yummy I'll drink it.

Same here. I like porter and I like american lager and kolsch, it's all good if it's made right. I still haven't decided what style to brew in 2 weeks - I'm thinking amber, Irish red, or brown. Tough decision.

Same here. I like porter and I like american lager and kolsch, it's all good if it's made right. I still haven't decided what style to brew in 2 weeks - I'm thinking amber, Irish red, or brown. Tough decision.

How much are you planning to make?

How much are you planning to make?

A batch is about 5 gallons. Starts at 5 gallons of water but is less after 2 decantings off of dead yeast and fermentation that takes some water vapor out with the CO2. It's what's practical since my pot is 7.5 gallons, fermenter 6, and secondary fermenter 5 gallons.

Where in town has a good pour of Guinness? The last time I tried a Guinness here in Houston was at the Brasil on Westheimer and it was surprisingly decent.

I definitely prefer dark beers but the girly side of me also really enjoys Abita Springs Purple Haze on summer days and/or tailgating. I can put those puppies down.

A batch is about 5 gallons. Starts at 5 gallons of water but is less after 2 decantings off of dead yeast and fermentation that takes some water vapor out with the CO2. It's what's practical since my pot is 7.5 gallons, fermenter 6, and secondary fermenter 5 gallons.

OK, I think I just volunteered you to host the next HAIF happy hour.

Shiner doesn't count as dark beer. If your definition of good beer involves any light beer I feel sorry for you. It's one thing to like eating at McDonald's every now and again, but to say it is the best food around...not attacking you personally, just speaking generally now.

Well I beg your pardon dear sir, McDonalds is definately the best food ever!! Sick

I just prefer light beers. I use to hate beer, but I've aquired a taste for it when I am abroad. Heinekin light is my favorite. Bud light & Miller lite are also easy to down before they get warm.

kolsch

Now your talkin!

OK, I think I just volunteered you to host the next HAIF happy hour.

If this batch turns out ok I will allow HAIF to sponsor a batch. I have to reassure myself that I can still do it after taking 3 years off. Actually in terms of ingredients it's cheap, since I already have the equipment. It usually costs about $30 for the water, grain, hops, and yeast. There's no other recurring cost, sort of. Just time and effort.

Not sure about having everyone over...there are innocent women and children involved. We can always crash a BYOB place.

Better idea - someone get me a 5 gallon soda canister. We use those as kegs, but I don't have them as the dude I used to brew with took them to Utah when he moved. Anyway, that way there's no bottling, we'll just rig up a CO2 canister and some tubing to it and serve it up. It's also ready 2-4 weeks sooner because we can force-carbonate instead of waiting for it to naturally carbonate.

If this batch turns out ok I will allow HAIF to sponsor a batch. I have to reassure myself that I can still do it after taking 3 years off. Actually in terms of ingredients it's cheap, since I already have the equipment. It usually costs about $30 for the water, grain, hops, and yeast. There's no other recurring cost, sort of. Just time and effort.

Not sure about having everyone over...there are innocent women and children involved. We can always crash a BYOB place.

Better idea - someone get me a 5 gallon soda canister. We use those as kegs, but I don't have them as the dude I used to brew with took them to Utah when he moved. Anyway, that way there's no bottling, we'll just rig up a CO2 canister and some tubing to it and serve it up. It's also ready 2-4 weeks sooner because we can force-carbonate instead of waiting for it to naturally carbonate.

I volunteer my construction site for the venue on the evening of Friday, the 17th of April. By that time, I'll probably have a fair amount of the windows in, interior walls framed, and electrical going in. I'll kick on the generator to power floodlights in the back lot, but if someone can bring a couple of clamp lights for the interior, that would be good.

The address isn't going to be made available to the public, though. I'll say as much as that it is located in the East End. Anyone that RSVPs will get a PM from me with directions.

I volunteer my construction site for the venue on the evening of Friday, the 17th of April. By that time, I'll probably have a fair amount of the windows in, interior walls framed, and electrical going in. I'll kick on the generator to power floodlights in the back lot, but if someone can bring a couple of clamp lights for the interior, that would be good.

The address isn't going to be made available to the public, though. I'll say as much as that it is located in the East End. Anyone that RSVPs will get a PM from me with directions.

Too soon - for homebrew, at least. I won't be done with this batch (bottled) until May. Either way we couldn't have beer for that soon, it spends 5-10 total days fermenting before we could put it in the keg, and it would need about 2 days to charge up with carbonation. I'm out of town this weekend so I can't get one going then. I am up for it though.

Too soon - for homebrew, at least. I won't be done with this batch (bottled) until May. Either way we couldn't have beer for that soon, it spends 5-10 total days fermenting before we could put it in the keg, and it would need about 2 days to charge up with carbonation. I'm out of town this weekend so I can't get one going then. I am up for it though.

Give me a date and I will give you a venue.

I decided to stop drinking with creeps. I decided to drink only with friends. I've lost 30 pounds. -- Ernest Hemingway

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -- Ernest Hemmingway

I drink to make other people interesting. -- George Jean Nathan

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -- Henny Youngman

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind. -- Humphrey Bogart

Why do I drink? So that I can write poetry. -- Jim Morrison

Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Welhelm

"i so love google" ;)

Wow all these quotes have been in the menu at the gingermen in the village!

Archived