texas911

I think this new HEB looks fantastic and it's been a long time coming. Only thing I'm not sure about is parking... this place will destroy Kroger and I, for one, don't plan on setting foot in Kroger again once this store opens.

I think this new HEB looks fantastic and it's been a long time coming. Only thing I'm not sure about is parking... this place will destroy Kroger and I, for one, don't plan on setting foot in Kroger again once this store opens.

When the HEB at 290 & Barker Cypress opened up, I said the same thing about the Randall's across the street -- I'd never go back. But those opening-day crowds at HEB never really went away -- it's always packed, and the Randall's is always nearly empty. So I go to Randalls just to avoid the hectic crowds. They can't possibly keep this going for ever... But until they board up the place, I'll pay a little more and live with a little less produce selection in exchange for some peaceful shopping.

When the HEB at 290 & Barker Cypress opened up, I said the same thing about the Randall's across the street -- I'd never go back. But those opening-day crowds at HEB never really went away -- it's always packed, and the Randall's is always nearly empty. So I go to Randalls just to avoid the hectic crowds. They can't possibly keep this going for ever... But until they board up the place, I'll pay a little more and live with a little less produce selection in exchange for some peaceful shopping.

All the more reason to have more big HEB's inside the loop or even a smaller one downtown.

The Kroger across BFSwy is already packed, as are all three Randall's and all other stores in the area. Even Costco is near. The area is so dense in population that we need some competition for pricing purposes. I shop at various places, depending on what the pricing is on the weekly fliers of what I need/want.

Once again, I hear a lot of people saying that their stores are busy...There is a reason that their stores are always busy its great service and great prices. I just don't find that at Kroger, Wal-Mart, nor Randalls. Supporting a Texas owned business, the largest private company in the entire state!! :lol:

Architects according to the chron article is Lake/Flato. No wonder I like it.

NOISE NOISE NOISE - That's all I hear from Kroger's attempt at reconstructing their store in order to compete with the HEB. I have had several conversations with Gary Huddleston(Director of Consumer Affairs who was quoted in the article) about the noise. Profuse apologies aside, welding, drilling, banging and building outside in the back alley from midnight through 5am each morning has not halted. They are doing more than just remodeling their food court (to compete with Cafe on the Run), bakery and adding a chocolate dipping station. It's a compete overhaul of a store that went through a complete remodeling four years ago. If that's not "shaking in your boots", I don't know what is. I am not at liberty to discuss the settlement I reached with Kroger, but that settlement did not give them license to continue the noise at everyone's expense. The very community they are trying to impress and convince with their "remodel" is the very community they have alientated. Welcome to HEB. I won't be Krogering any longer.

Does anybody know what is going on with HEB's ownership of Shepherd Plaza? It seems they acquired this parcel after starting the Buffalo Speedway Assembly. I know it would be a shame to loose this classic shopping center, but if they replace it with a building similar to this one, I won't be upset.

I've heard several people say that it is too close to the Buffalo Market, but in my opinion they serve two completely different markets and the Shepherd location is actually more desirable. As the competition in the area is a tired Fiesta, which is fine an does the task, and an overpriced boring "Randall's" (come on it's a boring Safeway.) My guess is that they are going to check the sales on the new store and since it is smaller, proceed with the Shepherd location. My guess is that the new HEB is going to be overrun with people. I plan on trying to do my shopping there later at night when the families are putting their kids to sleep. I just really want the Shepherd location to be built.

Swamplot says that Lake/Flato Architects of San Antonio are doing "Buffalo Market". I did not see this project on their website though.

Apparently, it's going to be ooh la la. 50% of the store will be perishable items and it will be like the Central Market hybrid in The Woodlands, only more updated and eco friendly.

• 1 month later...

From Swamplot:

FRESH FROM A first visit to the new butterfly-roofed, design-pedigreed H-E-B Market on Buffalo Speedway at Bissonnet — which opened to the public bright and early at 6 o’clock this morning — a reader writes in with a report:

There were uniformed traffic directing cops with loud whistles herding eager shoppers into the parking lot. In the entry way, I was greeted by HEB Buddy, some kind of a brown bag cartoon character. The store was packed and had a carnival-like atmosphere. HEB was well-prepared with quadruple staff greeting and answering questions. The buffalo speedway side seems to be more of the Central Market stuff, like Cafe On the Run, bakery, fish market, etc. And the rest of the store feels more like an HEB with Central Market products integrated throughout. As a regular shopper at Central Market, I think having some cheaper alternatives nearby will save me money.

2.jpg

3.jpg

The downside:

1-1.jpg

What about that giant Kroger just across Buffalo Speedway? Fox 26 reporter Isiah Carey says it’s gone nightclub:

As soon as I walked through the door I heard r&b music blasting. I thought to myself this Kroger is off the chain. Then I heard people applauding. I looked up on the second floor of the ‘grocery store’ and saw a live band. . . . The lead singer who happens to be a woman then went into her rendition of Bobby Brown’s My [Prerogative] . . .

On this day at the Kroger you could virtually get your lunch for free because there were so many samples being handed out to everyone. This is becoming a grocery store war. But I have to hand it to Kroger, the live band won me over. It made me want to go to the wine section, grab a bottle, pop it open and say screw my job. I’m chillin at Kroger all day long!

http://swamplot.com/opening-day-h-e-b-buffalo-market-stampede-begins/2009-08-05/

• 2 weeks later...

I just spoke with someone getting home from shopping at this HEB. In a nutshell - Hated It! - Said the that layout was horrible and that Kroger was much better. And I'm talking "Crackhead" Kroger, formerly "Disco", not the nice one across Buffalo.

I haven't been through the store yet myself , but I did venture in to the bakers counter and was quite impressed with the quality and variety of cakes, etc.

• 10 years later...

It already has.  For quite a few months, about 8-10 spots have been reserved for this.  The new construction just makes it so they can go out a separate door instead of the main door, potentially speeding up the curbside pickup.  The parking situation is why I usually walk to this grocery store rather than drive.

• The title was changed to West U HEB At 5225 Buffalo Spdwy.
  • The title was changed to West University HEB At 5225 Buffalo Spdwy.

Archived