Bells & Whistles Cafe At 1501 Texas St.

Subdude

Before we could be fully seated, the employee said there is no beer or wine. I was stunned and asked if they just didn't get the license YET. She responded "The owner is very religious and said that we aren't going to get a license because it is against his beliefs"

f8a930c6.jpg

• 9 months later...
I pass the Bells & Whistles restaurant everyday on my home from work. It's across the street from Vic & Anthony Steakhouse. And it looks like a somewhat new building from the outside, but I've never seen people eating there. Did this place go out of business already?

I ate there once and the food was terrible, so this wouldn't surprise me.

That's the restaurant operated by David Smith, the slumlord of the Ben Milam Hotel next door.

From another thread here, someone mentioned his refusal to sell alcohol and that it may be a bad idea for the success of the restaurant. That coupled with our deranged economy would make sense he couldn't keep it open...

I was in the area last weekend in the evening and noticed it looked like not much had been going on there...

refusing to sell alcohol in such near proximity to MMP is just a recipe for disaster... the food could be terrible but you could almost guarantee that the restaurant would remain profitable strictly due to alcohol sales. as presented, however, nothing short of spectacular food could have saved a restaurant like that with that sort of business model.

the place was destined to fail before the doors ever opened... here's hoping a smarter restauranteur takes over the space.

I just called and they're open (11-2:30 M-F)

I'm always amazed at how many restaurants can operate on this schedule. If a server works every day he's putting in 17.5 hours a week, and if you don't own the land/building it seems like the lease would break you.

Treebeards has, what, 4 downtown locations or something, all open for lunch only. Boggles the mind.

I'm sure those restaurants are incredibly busy during weekday lunches, and they cater as well (right?)

Also, B4-U-EAT lists longer hours for Bells & Whistles (M-F 10:30-3) - the lady on the phone mentioned they had new hours, but I figured they weren't decreasing them...

• 3 weeks later...
David Smith, the slumlord of the Ben Milam Hotel next door.

Thank you.

OT:

Having dealt with his people; I can tell you that he tried, in a very roundabout manner, to get us to eat our fee. I feel sorry for anyone of such naivety to work with such a myopic person.

Why the city has not condemned the abandoned hotel is a mystery to me.

Edited by infinite_jim

• The title was changed to Bells And Whistles Cafe In Downtown
  • The title was changed to Bells & Whistles Cafe At 1501 Texas St.