We May Have The Best Stadiums

DJ V Lawrence

Is there ANYTHING else you would really want to see Houston have sports and entertainment wise? (ex. New Stadium, New teams, new festivals, award shows...) What event would you think Houston would have to have in the future to secure our legitimacy as a World Class town?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there ANYTHING else you would really want to see Houston have sports and entertainment wise? (ex. New Stadium, New teams, new festivals, award shows...) What event would you think Houston would have to have in the future to secure our legitimacy as a World Class town?

I think Houston is making nice strides in becoming a world class city. There are still many problems that need to be fixed, but the fact the city built 3 new sports venues in the past 8 years and has hosted the SuperBowl, the MLB All Star Game and are about the host the NBA All Star Game, I think that Houston is looking good. Nabbing the 2009 Superbowl will be awesome and will allow the city 4 years to work towards that weekend. Too bad we did not get the Olympic bid. That would have solidified our place as a truly international city.

I think we need the "x-factor". Something that makes people want to make Houston their first stop on any vacation. Something that makes every business man cross his/her fingers and hope that the national convention is in Houston this year. Something that makes sports stars want to go free agent in hopes of signing here. Something that would make music producers want to pack up in Atlanta, and move here - tonight.

I have no clue what this could be, but it would just have to "come natural". Maybe its just a vibe that we will have to develop. Maybe we're on the ground level with forums like this to try and brainstorm. We'll be grandparents before we'll realize if anything has happened though. :)

While it would not cause many people to pack up and move here, your idea concerning useage of the Astrodome would be a real good start.

Well, when it comes to world-class sports, the one glaring weakness we have is a football (soccer) specific stadium. Nothing huge or overly expensive as Reliant can always handle the big stuff, but we need a good, 30-40 thousand seat stadium designed for football at all levels.

I've always thought Houston's chram is you can "Be Yourself".

No gimmicks necessary.

Respect to MidtownCoog for this comment, and respect to ALL for joining in on this one. Houston, personality wise, is the greatest city in the world. Hands down. And this is coming from a guy temporarily living on the other side of Earth (South Korea). My problem is thatfor some reason, the "X-factor" for Houston that 27 mentioned earlier doesn't exist yet for H-Town, and I'm wondering why that is.

Las Vegas has the Strip. Miami got sex appeal. Orlando has Disney World and a wide range of theme parks. New York has...um...people. Even Green Bay has it's football team as the city's selling point.

Miami, New York, Vegas, and Los Angeles have constant big Award shows. Houston has the architecture to host ANY event we want now. What piece of the puzzle is Houston missing for the X Factor to take place?

Now, I have a theory. You know what those four cities have that we don't? A notorious nightlife. I mean NIGHTlife, where the city never sleeps. Our clubs are forced to sleep at 2am. Miami doesn't sleep. If a convention finishes its day at, say, 9pm, that gives them 'til 2am to enjoy Houston. Compare that to Vegas or Miami, where they finish partying around 6 or 7am. From what I hear, Richmond Strip shuts down closer to 1am now.

There's many great things for Houstonians to do during the day, and we LOVE to party. Why would any convention want to come to Houston more than Miami or New York, if we have nothing extravagant to offer or boast about between 9pm and 7am? Our nightclubs have as much to offer as Miami's. We already have about as many clubs as the other major travel destinations in America, but we can't do anything because our city government highly regulates and restricts them.

Create a nightlife as strong and free as Miami, with lower regulation, and a more confident atmosphere, and I think we'll be all over the convention map. Any other ideas?

Now, I have a theory. You know what those four cities have that we don't? A notorious nightlife. I mean NIGHTlife, where the city never sleeps. Our clubs are forced to sleep at 2am. Miami doesn't sleep. If a convention finishes its day at, say, 9pm, that gives them 'til 2am to enjoy Houston. Compare that to Vegas or Miami, where they finish partying around 6 or 7am. From what I hear, Richmond Strip shuts down closer to 1am now.

I think much of this can be associated with TX State ban on alcohol sales after 2:00 a.m. When the drinks dry up. . .people go home.

I think much of this can be associated with TX State ban on alcohol sales after 2:00 a.m.  When the drinks dry up. . .people go home.

Valid point from da honorable 713 to 214. Respekt. Now, I guess that just means we gotta get rid of that 2:00am alcohol ban, huh? I know, I know, drunk drivers suck. I hate them too. but if you drink at 1:30am, you'll STILL have somebody driving home anyway. So, what should we do? Houston, we have an idea...

1) As I said before, get rid of the 2am alcohol ban for established night entertainment venues i.e. nightclubs, bars, etc.

2) Encourage "after-hour" clubs to open within walking distance to popular nightclubs. Also, encourage coffee shops, bookstores, and chill-out places to be opened at least between 2am and 8 am with tax exemtpion. Remember, drinking before 2am doesn't mean the drinker isn't drunk. The longer the clubheads stay away from their cars and on their feet, the better off we'd ALL be. Think about it: no only would we keep the intoxicated from any temptation from getting behind the wheel, but we also keep clubs and other night business strong with a steady profit and a jump in our economy

3) use a dedicated public transit system between midnight and 8 am between Richmond Strip and Downtown, and at each area, show elaborate detail and picture advertisements of some sort to nearby hotels. That way, the hotels get steady business, AND we still keep our streets much safer

4) finally, encourage pedestrian parties for ANY sports events involving Houston. Let Main Street become the Times Square of sports in America. Astros, Texans, or Rockets games sold out? Go to Main Street Square. And stay there game's end 'til 7 am, why don't 'cha? Go clubbin', sobber up at a coffee shop, sleep at the Hilton, go to work tired, and repeat

Any other ideas?

Valid point from da honorable 713 to 214. Respekt. Now, I guess that just means we gotta get rid of that 2:00am alcohol ban, huh? I know, I know, drunk drivers suck. I hate them too. but if you drink at 1:30am, you'll STILL have somebody driving home anyway. So, what should we do? Houston, we have an idea...

1) As I said before, get rid of the 2am alcohol ban for established night entertainment venues i.e. nightclubs, bars, etc.

Thanks for the Kudos. I like your plan, and I'm all for it. However, #1 on your list will take beaucoup mobilization of voters, statewide, to accomplish. This is true IMO for two reasons:

1. Texas is on the buckle of the "Bible Belt" and

2. MADD has a very powerful lobby here in Texas.

To 713, your Kudos are well deserved. Now let's see here...

MADD. Mother's Against Drunk Driving. Great organization. I think 713 may be correct that they'd initially oppose this. However, they could be convinced, once they saw that with this plan, instead of drunk drivers hitting the streets at 2am, most drunk drivers flat out wouldn't drive at all, because they have a better place to stay than in their cars.

The Bible Belt I think would be more opposed, especially since Saturday night leads into Sunday morning. They could be convinced, though, because all the unsober people would be passed out in bed. Sure, they wouldn't be able to stumble to mass that morning, but hey, at least the money the tax moneyspent from everything they purchased the night before would go back to the local government, partially helping smaller churches become financially stable, which is what the church would like to see happen, right?

As for the voters? They want Houston on top, and I trust that they hate ineffective laws. I can see them voting for this.

I would love to see:

1. Houston a filming mecca! (That would get me to stay here because all the job oppurtunities here)

2. Better theme parks (not water parks)...after hearing of how great "Canada Wonderland" is in Toronto, I was embarrassed to look at (or invite my friend to "Astroworld)

2. Monorail above ground (when it floods we at least have SOME sort of transportation!

3. A more animal friendly atmosphere. I notice people can bring cute little dogs and puppies (in their purse) but yet I bring my cat in a kennel (after a vet shop or trip to Petsmart) and I get the 10th degree pets aren't allowed in the store (even if there is no food present)! People can bring their pets inside places like Starbucks but yet I am forced out when I want to sit somewhere where my cat is in a kennel to keep out from the hot sun to go somewhere to relax.

4. MUCH BETTER Transportation. Metro-SUCKS! They decide to take breaks at the WORSE locations! (I remember one stop was at Bellaire/Hwy 6 and its REAL fun trying to see if a car is coming on Hwy 6 if you are pulling up from a light in Bellaire.

5. Make use of the International culture we have here. Clean the city up and do what NY or Toronto does (Chinatown -Officially), Polish town, or wherever international locals stay.

6. fix the pollution/potholes. Richmond is only good for offroaders! I swear someone can get carsick riding those potholes!

7. Make use of the bayous we have here, beautify them and perhaps do something to make them more attractive.

That's about it for now.

Thanks for the Kudos.  I like your plan, and I'm all for it.  However, #1 on your list will take beaucoup mobilization of voters, statewide, to accomplish.  This is true IMO for two reasons:

You said it right there. The conservative representatives from this state will never vote for such a repreive. I used to be all over this plan. Then I realized as I got older I am never out passed midnight anyway so it does not affect me one bit. I would still vote to keep those bars open though.

Thanks for the Kudos.  I like your plan, and I'm all for it.  However, #1 on your list will take beaucoup mobilization of voters, statewide, to accomplish.  This is true IMO for two reasons:

I think the Tipsy tow could be better enforced if we got rid of teh bans. Just put at least one Tipsy Tow in every club venue therefore reducing the risking the cause for drunk drivers. There will always be drunk drivers but still better safe then sorry.

The other I heard before was a downtown club bus for club goers to ride to diff. clubs and relax at.

but just a couple ideas.

what's tipsy tow?

i really wish we could change the last call here, if anyone has a plan i'm in.

but for a start, it would be nice if the clubs would stay open later. i know they're not making any money, so they kick us out at 2am, but if they stayed open later people would love that, and it would reduce drunk driving.

i'm happy to see that at least now there are places open late to get some food downtown. but its really disappointing to get kicked out right at 2.

when i have a bunch of friends in town, we usually priceline a hotel downtown when we really want to go out. i've consistently gotten the doubletree for $36, that way we can walk or cab it and not deal with driving at all.

How does Priceline work? I want to use it in Toronto but I'm unsure how it works exactly.

Tipsy Tow is for people too drunk to drive so a tow truck driver drives them to their house free of charge and tows their car to their residence.

(within a certain mile radius I am sure)

what's tipsy tow?

i really wish we could change the last call here, if anyone has a plan i'm in.

but for a start, it would be nice if the clubs would stay open later. i know they're not making any money, so they kick us out at 2am, but if they stayed open later people would love that, and it would reduce drunk driving.

i'm happy to see that at least now there are places open late to get some food downtown. but its really disappointing to get kicked out right at 2.

when i have a bunch of friends in town, we usually priceline a hotel downtown when we really want to go out. i've consistently gotten the doubletree for $36, that way we can walk or cab it and not deal with driving at all.

That is a great price. Totally worth it.

How does Priceline work? I want to use it in Toronto but I'm unsure how it works exactly.

check out biddingfortravel.com

first read the Hotels FAQ. that will give you an idea of how to use priceline.

Then go to the Canada - Ontario (Toronto) link on that main page to see what other people got for their priceline bids on Toronto.

let me know if you have any questions, it can be a little confusing at first. we got a nice hotel on st. catherine in montreal for $50 US.

what other people get on biddingfortravel may not be exactly what you get. we tried to get the sheraton in market square dallas last month (which other people got) but ended up with the crowne plaza about a mile north. it was still a great deal though.

Guest KOKON Concrete

We need a hockey team. Unfortunately the NHL is in a downward spiral. You really need to be a "4-sport town" to be considered a world-class athletic town.

Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey.

Just my opinion.

K. C.

check out biddingfortravel.com

first read the Hotels FAQ. that will give you an idea of how to use priceline.

Then go to the Canada - Ontario (Toronto) link on that main page to see what other people got for their priceline bids on Toronto.

let me know if you have any questions, it can be a little confusing at first. we got a nice hotel on st. catherine in montreal for $50 US.

what other people get on biddingfortravel may not be exactly what you get. we tried to get the sheraton in market square dallas last month (which other people got) but ended up with the crowne plaza about a mile north. it was still a great deal though.

Thank you VERY much this helps alot!

Last time I Stayed with a friend in Missassauga Ontario but she's too far out for me to figure out how to take a bus or subway. I want to be around the downtown action!

We have an IHL team...i mean its not NHL but the NHL isnt even up and running now so technically were one of few cities that has a hockey team right now...plus the Aeros are probably one of the best hockey teams in the IHL so weve got that going for us

We need a hockey team.  Unfortunately the NHL is in a downward spiral.  You really need to be a "4-sport town" to be considered a world-class athletic town. 

Just my opinion.

K. C.

There are plenty "World Class Cities" that do not have hockey teams, so I don't agree with that. If anything the most popular sport in the world is soccer and we have a huge fan following here- we should look at that.

But the important thing is we don't need to chase sporting franchise to earn a superficial label of "world class"

We have Major league teams here that we don't support.

Come on Houston only 28,000+ at the Astros second game of the season- far from earning the title of "Baseball Town" even though we have had some form of professional baseball here since the 1880's or 1890's.

We need a hockey team.  Unfortunately the NHL is in a downward spiral.  You really need to be a "4-sport town" to be considered a world-class athletic town. 

Just my opinion.

K. C.

Respect to ALL of you for your reply to this. Now first off, to KONON, as helpful as it would be for the city for football, baseball, basketball, soccer, and hockey, we could still be considered an empire with some and not all. Example, LA, Seattle, Orlando, New Orleans, Las Vegas. But we DO need an NHL team in Houston, and we DO need an MLS team here as well. And we DO need to revitalize the Dome somehow (preferably the Dome hotel/stadium discussed in previous threads.)

We NEED the nightlife to become world famous. Truth is, we already have the facilities for it. We need city and statee legislator to change their policies on night businesses. Also, if we had lights all over downtown on a regular basis (just like we did during the Power of Houston festival) we'd be noticed IMMEDIATELY.

Lastly, I wanna see Buffalo Bayou cleaned up and turned into another Riverwalk. I understand that there's already a commitee determined to see their project finished by 2025 for the bayou, but I REALLY would like to see the city add additional funding to them, so that at least downtown's water would be clean enough for boatrides in the Bayou by 2009's possible Super Bowl, should we get it.

We have an IHL team...i mean its not NHL but the NHL isnt even up and running now so technically were one of few cities that has a hockey team right now...plus the Aeros are probably one of the best hockey teams in the IHL    so weve got that going for us

By the way, this is the perfect time for Alexander to purchase an NHL franchise if he wants it

I would love to see:

1. Houston a filming mecca! (That would get me to stay here because all the job oppurtunities here)

2. Better theme parks (not water parks)...after hearing of how great "Canada Wonderland" is in Toronto, I was embarrassed to look at (or invite my friend to "Astroworld)

2. Monorail above ground (when it floods we at least have SOME sort of transportation!

3. A more animal friendly atmosphere. I notice people can bring cute little dogs and puppies (in their purse) but yet I bring my cat in a kennel (after a vet shop or trip to Petsmart) and I get the 10th degree pets aren't allowed in the store (even if there is no food present)! People can bring their pets inside places like Starbucks but yet I am forced out when I want to sit somewhere where my cat is in a kennel to keep out from the hot sun to go somewhere to relax.

4. MUCH BETTER Transportation. Metro-SUCKS! They decide to take breaks at the WORSE locations! (I remember one stop was at Bellaire/Hwy 6 and its REAL fun trying to see if a car is coming on Hwy 6 if you are pulling up from a light in Bellaire.

5. Make use of the International culture we have here. Clean the city up and do what NY or Toronto does (Chinatown -Officially), Polish town, or wherever international locals stay.

6. fix the pollution/potholes. Richmond is only good for offroaders! I swear someone can get carsick riding those potholes!

7. Make use of the bayous we have here, beautify them and perhaps do something to make them more attractive.

That's about it for now.

Also, RESPECT to the Tipsy tow, and MAD respect to the lovely Bayou City Girl!!! ALL these ideas are great! (I especially like #2) I think dirty air is our biggest setback. It's the only real excuse that northern journalist have at not considering H-Town better than the north

I think Houston needs to "borrow" some ideas from major cities that make that city great (within reason) -granted we don't have mountains but we do have bayous to walk on. We have plenty of trees to jog in (other then Memorial park).

We have natural land here that is perfect for birding that many outsiders do NOT know about that we could use as tourism.

For example Bolivar Island (correct?). I heard its one of the best birding sites in the country and yet its not noted as really tourism because no one knows about it.

What I like what Toronto did was make their little island into a an amusement park.

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/parks/island/index.htm

cityview.jpg

Ward's Island

Ward's Island, actually the east section of the old peninsula, was named after the Ward family who first settled here about 1830. David Ward, a local fisherman, raised seven children. His son, William, built the landmark Ward's Hotel in 1882, just south of the ferry docks at Channel Avenue. Originally the building had two floors and a central, third story tower, but in 1922 the tower and upper floor were removed after the structure deteriorated. The remaining building operated as a grocery supply and ice-cream parlour until its demolition in 1966. The hotel, in addition to Wiman's Baths, built in 1881, created a pleasant resort that attracted many visitors.

Park features

Main park type

island picnic park

Pedestrian/bicycle trails

1.11 kilometres from Island Filtration Plant to boardwalk

1.68 kilometres from boardwalk to Ward's Island Ferry Dock

0.76 kilometres from Centre Island Ferry Dock to Lookout Pier

Park facilities

2 fully accessible washrooms

2 fully accessible washroom-changerooms

1 washroom and 1 washroom-changeroom

18 drinking fountains

10 water taps

21 picnic areas with 6 fire pits

2 First Aid stations

Ward's Island

4 drinking fountains

2 water taps

2 fire pits

Food, recreation and fun

4 snack bars (seasonal operation)

Iroquois Restaurant + Paradise Restaurant (licensed)

bicycle and boat rental

Centreville Amusement Area

Far Enough Farm

Toronto Island Marina

serviced public boat moorings (48-hour limit)

2 softball diamonds (Centre and Olympic)

3 wading pools

2 volleyball courts (Centre and Olympic)

Allan A. Lamport Regatta Course On Long Pond

The Island Church (non-denominational)

Avenue of the Islands Gardens

Royal Canadian Yacht Club (private)

public phones on Centre and Ward's Island

Frisbee Golf Course

Ward's Island

Queen City Yacht Club (private)

Ward's Island Beach (with washroom) and playground

Toronto doesn't have mountains and they make perfect use of their land!

Also make the underground tunnels more well known and maybe turn that into a underground shopping mecca.

http://www.english.montrealplus.ca/E/V/MTLEN/0012/49/16/

400px-Ville-souterraine-1.jpg

Montreal (la Ville souterraine) whose 32 kilometres of tunnels connect seven downtown metro stations, seven large hotels and many important office towers and malls on 41 city blocks (12 square kilometres), with smaller tunnel systems in other parts of the city linking other attractions to metro stations. About 2,000 shops and 40 cinemas line the passageways. Montreal is famous for its underground city and it is often visited by tourists, as well as by 500,000 Montrealers per day.

Toronto (PATH), the world's largest underground shopping complex (according to the Guinness Book of World Records), comprises 27 kilometres of walkways and 1,200 shops linking many important buildings and attractions downtown to five TTC subway stations. The PATH accommodates 100,000 pedestrians daily, and PATH businesses host the world's largest underground sidewalk sale once annually. PATH homepage (http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/path/index.htm)

I know y'all keep mentioning sports but some of us aren't all sport lovers here. Its awesome enough we have plenty of sports in this city and the events happening around it.

I am still waiting on a Star Trek Convention to hit Houston! (they usually take short trips to Dallas) and totally skip Houston (they say the fandom isn't here)

We also need to promote "Space City" here. NASA!! What we're known for.

I always wanted to see a "Sci fi Musuem" near NASA. I mean like the history from TV and the future of where sci fi and real life science fiction is going now. That will REALLY pack in tourists!

But that's all I have for now...

Archived