We May Have The Best Stadiums

DJ V Lawrence

houston's biggest obstacle is traffic and lack of alternatives. why would anyone want to visit a city that is difficult to get around in?

You know, there MAY be a way to get around this. Case in point, Orlando (who's traffic seemed worse than Houston when I went there. When you go there, however, you'd probably end up going to Universal Studios and their theme parks, Sea World, Disney Epcot, MGM, Disney Downtown, Magic Kingdom, one of their countless resorts, etc.

The point is, when you go to one of Orlando's travel destinations, you STAY there the whole day, and you probably won't try to do everything in one day.

Houston could do something similar in this sense; give tourists a reason to want to stay in ONE area of town for a day. If you wanted to see Houston, do to our size, there's NO way you'd be able to do it with our mobility. A resort or two in Uptown, Downtown, in proximity to the Museum district or Hermann Park, Galveston, and/or Reliant would be one idea. Each of these places are totally different from each other, and cater to totally different styles of travelers. Instead of advertizing Houston to an international audience, advertize a certain area instead.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do I start LOL

ANY major city is going to have traffic. That's just because of the population can't hold however big the city is:

NY/L.A./Las Vegas -What makes a big city without traffic?

Construction: The city is booming and how we can develop without construction?

Copying Landmarks:

Why is there a Space Needle in Seattle, a CN tower in Toronto, a globe thingy (spin around resturant) in Dallas? Because they are making a name for themselves showing the world: Look how big and bad we are. (bad in a good way)

What I DO like about Houston is this:

Even though we're not like San Fran or NY or Vegas... we have something for everyone:

For Little kids: (like most big cities) -Zoo, The parks, The CHILDRENS Musuem, and Disney On Ice almost here every month!

For the Slightly Older Kids: Van's Skate Park -is that still there at Jillians?, the amusement parks, the malls, ocassionally those Monster Truck shows

For the moms: The Shopping, the availability of a grocery store around the corner from a neighborhood (when I was in Tarrant county -N.Richland Hills, TX- we had to drive some ways to get to a Super Target or Super Walmart) when HEB is right here. There are also the home shows here.

For the men: places like K&G, Men's Warehouse, Men's spas, your typical home impovement stores (Lowes/Home depot), for attractions wise-The strip bars, every imaginable sport is here! Professional or not!

For the Tourists:

kids:

Childrens Musuem

Childrens Fest sponsered by HEB every year

Space Center Houston

For the internationals:

Want Asian Flavor?

Forbidden Gardens

Bellaire Blvd, Yao Ming

Want a little Tex-Mex:

Well that's just about everywhere in this city

Want a little Middle Eastern:

I believe its Fondren right? I can't remember exactly where they have some middle eastern resturants and shopping (my stepping is middle eastern and we'd eat at a GREAT resturant there all the time) -and of course the great Droubi's!

Want Jewish:

Oy! You want Meyerland and the Bellaire (city) area.

Want British:

The Fox and Hound Pub, The British Private school, and The Black Labrador Pub (near West U)

Want Scottish:

Scottish Rite Center in Meyerland area, Highland Games that are here every year

Want African:

Pretty much not hard to find around here. (not to sound offensive)

Want Indian:

(if someone can help) there is a location near Sharpstown near the freeway where they sell Sari's in a shopping center.

(just to name a few international things we have here)

Want a place to worship:

Christian churches-EVERYWHERE

Jewish Synagogues: Beth y'Shurun (I butchered that name I think), and 2 others I can't think of at the time

Buddist Temples-one on Brant Rock near Synott St. -the beautiful globe looking on with the gold top, there is a buddist temple on Synott going toward Sugar Land (its a Vietnamese Buddist Temple), There is a temple on West Airport going toward Fondren Southwest, there is a beautiful one I think near the freeway where the new Super Walmart is coming up (thank god its not a CVS) near Bellaire Blvd, where the Auchans (Food town now is)

Want reinactment games with civil war:

Happen a little outside of Houston on "battlefields" -my friend use to be a drummer for one of these!

Want Rich:

Memorial, River Oaks, Spring (maybe), West U, and the shopping of course at the West U shopping area (I can't think of the name of it), West Gray

Want poor:

The wards, Fondren Southwest

Want Beaches:

Galveston

Want Lakes:

Clear Lake

Want Great Food:

That's up to you but some homebased locations are here like the "Pappa's Brothers" resturants AND Kolache Factory

Want Amusement Parks:

Let's go for: Astroworld, Fun Plex, Splashtown, Waterworld

Want a Wild life park:

Drive a little out of Houston to go toward San Antonio I believe -sorry its not in the city of Houston

Want the eccentric side of Houston:

Montrose, Aquarium with white tigers and a Neon ferris wheel by the freeway (how much more crazier is that LOL!)

Want the Artsy side:

Houston theatre district and musuems

Want Ranches:

George Ranch and about 15 other probably not listed (or I don't know of them)

Want birdwatching:

Bolivar Island

Want natural beauty that's in the city of Houston:

Watching a beautiful white egret fly, land and just eat. (Sorry I'm in love with those birds!)

Want clubbing:

Downtown, Richmond Strip

I think Houston has INNER Beauty! Meaning my friend didn't sound like she was going to like it here when she came down from Canada and omG! she said she wants to come back periodically (if she can afford it) she LOVES IT DOWN HERE! Trust me she HAS NOT stopped talking about shopping at Harwin yet and when she gets down here, after the flight she wants to go back to Harwin. We down here may not be big and bold down here when people think of Houston as a business city but if there are people who live and play down here, they KNOW how to show their friends the inner beauty this city really has.

Hey DJ Lawrence:

I have a "twin friend" (yep I said that right) that I believe was stationed in Korea in the army. Not sure where she is now! :(

But anyway I lost touch with her. I'll private message you a pic of us if I can find it.

yeah, enron represents the hideous side of corporate america as opposed to just houston.

houston's biggest obstacle is traffic and lack of alternatives. why would anyone want to visit a city that is difficult to get around in?

plus this city needs to come up with its own ideas rather than emulate other cities; riverwalk(san antonio), theme parks(orlando), towers or giant statues (toronto, seattle, new york).  this city has world class theaters and museums and needs to capitalize and improve  on what it already has

I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph. But you can't be serious about that first paragraph... New York City, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, just for starters... all much more difficult to get around in and all seem to have plenty of visitors.

I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph.  But you can't be serious about that first paragraph...  New York City, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, just for starters... all much more difficult to get around in and all seem to have plenty of visitors.

you can hop on the subway in those other cities and they are much more pedestrian friendly.

I beg to differ, my good friend :-) check out this link, yo!

http://www.buffalobayou.org/thumbimages/9-NORT%7E1.jpg

What we have here is what the Buffalo Bayou Redevelopment comittee hopes to have the Bayou look like by 2025.

For the WHOLE lists of projects and pics, here's a link for that, too.

http://www.buffalobayou.org/urbandevelop.html

I stumbled upon this as I recalled that a good amount of money was supposedly being put on the bayou. Apparently, they may have found a way to not only develop urban-style living and shopping along the bayou, but they may have an extensive flood-control plan as well. I'm VERY anxious for this project to come through MUCH earlier that 2025.

I LOVE your idea of a boat dock on the bayou!

I think the most beautiful area of that place is the area around Wortham Center, Aquarium and Bayou Place. I see potential market, yo.

Oye, what other areas needs a MAD revitalization plan from the City of Houston, yo?

I'm not sure if this has been covered before but I learned that Buffalo Bayou was actually a water way at the turn of the century and that cotton was run by large boats all the way from DT.

I'm assuming this is true so why couldn't that be done now? Certainly there would have to be some dredging of the bayou and of course some sediment cleanup but what a great resource to have.

I love the steps at the bend of the bayou DT, I think it's caddy corner (across) to the Aquarium, along the walkway. This spot would be perfect for live music acts as the steps are set up in an almost amphitheater style, the bottom is also perfect and large for almost anything in this idea.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before but I learned that Buffalo Bayou was actually a water way at the turn of the century and that cotton was run by large boats all the way from DT.

I'm assuming this is true so why couldn't that be done now? Certainly there would have to be some dredging of the bayou and of course some sediment cleanup but what a great resource to have.

I love the steps at the bend of the bayou DT, I think it's caddy corner (across) to the Aquarium, along the walkway. This spot would be perfect for live music acts as the steps are set up in an almost amphitheater style, the bottom is also perfect and large for almost anything in this idea.

INDEED! I mad agree, dude!

• The title was changed to We May Have The Best Stadiums

Archived