We May Have The Best Stadiums

DJ V Lawrence

I think the same. If San Antonio could do it, why can't we?

RESPECT ONCE AGAIN TO 27!!! You kick ass!! I WANT CLEAN WATER, DAMMIT! I WANNA DRINK FROM BUFFALO BAYOU ONE DAY!!! Um, actually, no I don't :-/ I just want a boat ride or two. I'd like to see Houston's most important landmark to become world famous (the Bayou, dude.)

To the lovely BayouCityGirl, I'm sure the Star Trek Voyager will be here in the near future. I'll talk to Shatner and see what I can do :-)

Oye, I have a dumb question to BayouCityGirl, or anyone thath can answer. From her post on Toronto, she mentioned something about an amusement park on an island up there. She also mentioned Bolivar Island, an island full of birds, beautiful scenery, and dinosaurs than aren't exstinct yet (from what my friends told me). Honestly, I haven't been there. Exactly where is Bolivar located from downtown or Galveston, and are you suggesting a theme park there? (I just wanted clarification, yo)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I haven't been there. Exactly where is Bolivar located from downtown or Galveston, and are you suggesting a theme park there? (I just wanted clarification, yo)

It is a peninsula to the north east of galveston. There is a ferry that travels back and forth. Not sure if there is a bridge or not. About 30 minutes depending where you are going due to the time it takes for the ferry. A little less than 10 miles. From Downtown take I think Ave J/Broadway to Ferry road, then that takes you to the ferry.

Oh, and yes I know the bypass cuts right through the post office. If I were a better illustrator, I would have drawn it closer to the eastern boundary of the post office property. ;)

27 did a great job with the illustration. Thanx. and Thanx to ALL firefighters in Houston! You do great things for us.

You know what I'd like to see? Hotels that rival that of Las Vegas along Buffalo Bayou. Best in the World.

If only I won the lottery - I could waste my money on a city that doesn't care.

That's the spirit!!! to be honest, though, I think Buffalo Bayou (only in the downtown area) would be perfect for large architechual development along it, particularly hotels and places that tourist would want to visit. For some reason, development along bodies of water make really good selling points. And almost every famous city in the world has their body of water somewhere in their postcards, it seems. I wonder if Houston's developers do not believe Buffalo Bayou to be a potential market.

I don't know if our little bayou is big enough. Besides, I really feel thats what we have Main St & the whole CBD for. I think if we could just clean the damn thing up, throw a couple of 3 star restaurants, a few tex-mex casas, and of course a few bbq joints - Buffalo Bayou would be rockin'. Maybe a few loft type experiences over the dining. "Lofts on the Bayou" - literally. With double paned, insulated glass, and proper construction, people could live in such a noisy space and not be bothered.

If only I won the lottery - I could waste my money on a city that doesn't care.

A recent editorial in Houston magazine doubted that Buffalo Bayou could be converted to Houston's version of San Antonio's River Walk. The author was concerned about two issues: flooding, that could wipe out waterfront cafes/bistros, and intense heat/humidity during summer that could turn the Bayou into a sauna. The author believes that River Walk in San Antonio remains cool during summer time and they don

Anyways, coming back to the real world, I think Buffalo Bayou is a great asset that hasnt been utilized well.

:unsure: Sounds too far-fetched? Hey, check out the Grand Canal Shoppe Mall at Venetian in Las Vegas! Yeah, I know, that canal is fake!

Well, um, wrestling's fake too, and look at how much money THAT business makes, yo.

I'll go a step further to what I said earlier. Screw hotels. I want RESORTS along the opposite side of Buffalo Bayou from Downtown, that offer world class saunas, massages, and relaxation. Yeah, i said it. What? Unrealistic because of the freeway in close proximity? Fine. Build resorts that have are built to keep outside sounds out. Look at how busy Vegas's damn Strip is. They still got resorts like crazy. I wanna relax, yo. Goosfabaa

RESPECT ONCE AGAIN TO 27!!! You kick ass!! I WANT CLEAN WATER, DAMMIT! I WANNA DRINK FROM BUFFALO BAYOU ONE DAY!!! Um, actually, no I don't :-/ I just want a boat ride or two. I'd like to see Houston's most important landmark to become world famous (the Bayou, dude.)

To the lovely BayouCityGirl, I'm sure the Star Trek Voyager will be here in the near future. I'll talk to Shatner and see what I can do :-)

Oye, I have a dumb question to BayouCityGirl, or anyone thath can answer. From her post on Toronto, she mentioned something about an amusement park on an island up there. She also mentioned Bolivar Island, an island full of birds, beautiful scenery, and dinosaurs than aren't exstinct yet (from what my friends told me). Honestly, I haven't been there. Exactly where is Bolivar located from downtown or Galveston, and are you suggesting a theme park there? (I just wanted clarification, yo)

Ewww Star Trek Voyager BLECH! :P I'm a Niner (in simple terms)-Star Trek Deep Space Nine fan! I have been waiting for a convention to come down here for SO LONG!! (I even thought if we made up one -fans from Houston (or promoters) to call it Astrocon

Chase Masterson

Michael Dorn

Brent Spiner

Eugene Roddenberry (creator's son) -his father was born in El Paso, TX

(all Star Trek Alumni with ties to Texas)

My friend who could start a convention told me Space Center Houston wouldn't allow us to use their facility to have the convention. :(

As far as the island goes:

I am sure there has got to be one of our small islands (aside from maybe Pelican island or Bolivar Island) where we can have a small amusement park. I have never been to the birding expedition before so I don't know which island has it. But one island for birding and the other for an amusement park. (let's hurry before Tilman Fertita turns it into "Waterworld:The Island of Adventure" (with more exotic animals that have nothing to do with Aquarium type fish/sealife(sarcasism)

I didn't get a chance to see the island (in Toronto) but I heard about it.

I know one thing they have over there I'd love for Houston to have:

One the light is about to turn red at a stoplight (the greenlight blinks as a warning) and there is a chirping sound to let the blind cross. When the chirping stops the cars can go (I assume a green light somewhere)

A recent editorial in Houston magazine doubted that Buffalo Bayou could be converted to Houston's version of San Antonio's River Walk. The author was concerned about two issues: flooding, that could wipe out waterfront cafes/bistros, and intense heat/humidity during summer that could turn the Bayou into a sauna. The author believes that River Walk in San Antonio remains cool during summer time and they don

It occurred to me when I was in Seattle last year that it's not the fake things that a city does to attract people (ie the Seattle's Space Needle) that makes a city special, it's the legitimate things that a city either has naturally (the Seattle area's Mt. Ranier) or that a city builds for itself (Seattle's public market).

I think the current bayou-as-parkland redevelopment is a big step in the right direction. I also think that the stadia and the Cottswald project are too. I think that community development being pre-planned to accompany the rail line for the East Side will be helpful. Doing something with the Astrodome (I'll post my comments on that thread soon) will be a piece of the puzzle.

It occurred to me on Sunday, though that Washington Avenue has amazing potential to be a very unique destination. I know it sounds crazy, but with the right development, and a good re-surfacing that can be a signature avenue of this city. This is a street that does not deny what the city is, and has a lot of old structures still standing. It is surrounded by high end residence and the development coming up between Wash. and 10 will only serve to bolster this area.

In short I guess my view is really that Houston needs to continue to make itself a nice place to live, and all that stuff about international appeal will follow.

Oh, also, no one cares about the 4th biggest anything. This occurred to me when I heard that Farmington, New Mexico is the 4th biggest city in NM. We need to brand Houston as the biggest city in Texas, and not the 4th biggest in the US. It benefits our image to have an air of indifference to the rest of the US anyway. That's part of our identity that we need to clarify.

It occurred to me when I was in Seattle last year that it's not the fake things that a city does to attract people (ie the Seattle's Space Needle) that makes a city special, it's the legitimate things that a city either has naturally (the Seattle area's Mt. Ranier) or that a city builds for itself (Seattle's public market).

I think the current bayou-as-parkland redevelopment is a big step in the right direction. I also think that the stadia and the Cottswald project are too. I think that community development being pre-planned to accompany the rail line for the East Side will be helpful. Doing something with the Astrodome (I'll post my comments on that thread soon) will be a piece of the puzzle.

It occurred to me on Sunday, though that Washington Avenue has amazing potential to be a very unique destination. I know it sounds crazy, but with the right development, and a good re-surfacing that can be a signature avenue of this city. This is a street that does not deny what the city is, and has a lot of old structures still standing. It is surrounded by high end residence and the development coming up between Wash. and 10 will only serve to bolster this area.

In short I guess my view is really that Houston needs to continue to make itself a nice place to live, and all that stuff about international appeal will follow.

Oh, also, no one cares about the 4th biggest anything. This occurred to me when I heard that Farmington, New Mexico is the 4th biggest city in NM. We need to brand Houston as the biggest city in Texas, and not the 4th biggest in the US. It benefits our image to have an air of indifference to the rest of the US anyway. That's part of our identity that we need to clarify.

Special OYE to jookyhc :-). Not only would I like to see the Astrodome revitalized, but I really want to see some state-of-the-art development done to property immediately surrounding Reliant Stadium (ex. MAD landscaping, a park or two, an urban pedestrian square where people could hang out during sporting events and watch on big screens.) If the pedestrian square thing were to happen, due to the proximity to the stadiums, it could gain international appeal if done right!

Yo, and I'm REALLY anxious to see the Buffalo Bayou project complete (though it won't be for a while). When finished, it will be one of the best of it's kind in the country.

You know Toronto is a world class city without the mountains only b/c it has the international appeal. But then again that's Canada. They don't have Bayous to make the city appealing they just the CN Tower and by many words of mouths (and a want to be destination) made it a top place to live and play in Canada (I am sorry I sound like a travel agent)

To the guy who lived in Seattle:

Sorry we don't have mountains or steep hills like San Fran. We got to make do with what we have.

Oh, I never lived in Seattle. I've lived in Houston my entire life, except for 6 years in Austin. I wasn't even in Seattle a week. I just visited and I realized that the things that were touching people weren't the things that were built for tourists, but for the people who live there.

Our natural assets are the bayou and the fertility of our land. Clearly we'll never have mountains, but we've got water and trees, and we could do a better job of capitalizing on that, and I think that that equates to making the city better for "us", not necessarily thinking about "them."

I think a CN tower, or a "Spirit of Houston" or any grand project like that is destined to fall short if attempted in Houston. With the possible exception of the Astrodome redevelopment and beyond what we already have, by way of public athletic venues, the things that will communicate how special Houston is to the world outside, will be relatively small things.

I think we need to develop the idea of a "Space City" theme! I mean that's what we are and we're not using it to our full advantage. We're giving it all to Florida! (or their basically using the "space" idea as their own.

OYE!! Gimme a Universal Studios Houston, foo! Where's my Virgin Mega Store? Hell, why couldn't Clear Lake have a space theme park within proximity to NASA, build similar to MGM in Orlando, yo? MAD tourism would come! Make it the new Space Center Houston! Hell, expand Astroworld by at least 50% to rival it! They got the land for it behind the existing park. More luxury resorts in the Galveston area! Riverwalk for Buffalo Bayou! A soccer team in Houston and soccer fans here that defines soccer for the rest of America! A nightlife that's respected across North America!

And, um, we could use a world class radio station or two :-)

I really don't know how well "space" sells. I think for a lot of people in other parts of the country NASA and space exploration seem almost archaic. Like the persuit of knowledge beyond our own world is somehow outdates.

Add to this the fact that even the ambitious goals that the federal government outlines for NASA have been talked about for at least 20 years, and you have a recipe for boredom.

Perhaps once the space shuttle is phased out and the new vessels come on- line, the image will change, but I think right now NASA's image is stuck in the mid 70s.

Then again, maybe it's Houston's role to correct that perception.

What do y'all think about the hiwi campaign??

florida takes a lot of space credit because that's where we launch from, so the public actually gets to see the excitement. people don't realize that we're in mission control here 24 hours a day manning the space station.

when i first went to cocoa beach, it was amazing to feel the buzz in the air, but after a few weeks i realized that they didn't have anything else to do or talk about, either Ron Jon's or space. houston has a lot more to offer, and people are here for different reasons, so space takes a back seat.

plus the space race is over, so there's not much for the average public to care about anyways. maybe the new space initiative (going to mars) will spark some interest, but that'll be a decade away if it does happen. very little of the initial proposal work is being done in houston, but i don't see why mission control wouldn't remain at JSC since the infrastructure is already here.

a little feel good story: i randomly met up with some german exchange students in dallas, one was dating friend of mine in austin, so we

I really don't know how well "space" sells. I think for a lot of people in other parts of the country NASA and space exploration seem almost archaic. Like the persuit of knowledge beyond our own world is somehow outdates.

I've noticed a lot of tourist boards around the country are starting to promote their NASA facilities, even if they're only small ones. Places like north central Ohio, northern Alabama, Mississippi, and now even Kansas are promoting themselves as NASA cities. I think Houston needs to get on top of this before the mindshare is gone.

Or something like that. Buffalo Bayou can't really be developed the same way because of flooding concerns, but the city really would benefit by continuing to focus on the Buffalo Bayou plan to develop it into nice parkland (and with any luck relocate the Pierce Elevated in the future).

There was an article in yesterday's WSJ about how downtown Oklahoma City has been redeveloped. They built a canal through part of downtown with bars and restaurants nearby like the Riverwalk. Now they have hundreds of thousands of people riding boats on the canal. Something like that would be nice to see here. A water channel through downtown was included a few years back as one of those periodic redevelopment proposals for downtown, but the idea went nowhere.

I agree with the conversion to park land. The intrastructure is already in place in various parts. What the bayou probably needs is:

1) Widening in certain spots so that walkways or boat docks could actually be built

2) Purificiation (sort of like what the city of Chicago did with the main branck of the Chicago River before it splits into the Chicago North and the Chicago South. Murky looking water, as a rule, isn't all that appealing to the masses.

3) Well maintained landscaping along this stretch of the bayou, similar to the landscaping that fronts the Wortham and the Aquarium.

I don't think you need to build hotels, restaurants, bars, shops right on the bayou, but close enough to where the bayou is directly accessible from these places. The drawings in the Buffalo Bayou Redevelopment plan demonstrate exactly what I'm talking about. Furthermore, there are businesses in existence already who are under the threat of flooding (like the Brewery Tap, Spaghetti Warehouse...) There's always going to be some risk involved with locating a structure next to a body of water or mountain or what have you.

Or something like that.  Buffalo Bayou can't really be developed the same way because of flooding concerns, but the city really would benefit by continuing to focus on the Buffalo Bayou plan to develop it into nice parkland (and with any luck relocate the Pierce Elevated in the future). 

There was an article in yesterday's WSJ about how downtown Oklahoma City has been redeveloped.  They built a canal through part of downtown with bars and restaurants nearby like the Riverwalk.  Now they have hundreds of thousands of people riding boats on the canal.  Something like that would be nice to see here.  A water channel through downtown was included a few years back as one of those periodic redevelopment proposals for downtown, but the idea went nowhere.

What if they built a canal connecting Buffalo Bayou with Brays Bayou that would pass through downtown, midtown and TMC (that is, similar to the route if light rail)? That could speed up redevelopment of midtown too. I wonder if thats plausible. Hmm, may be its a crazy idea.

I agree with the conversion to park land. The intrastructure is already in place in various parts. What the bayou probably needs is:

1) Widening in certain spots so that walkways or boat docks could actually be built

2) Purificiation (sort of like what the city of Chicago did with the main branck of the Chicago River before it splits into the Chicago North and the Chicago South. Murky looking water, as a rule, isn't all that appealing to the masses.

3) Well maintained landscaping along this stretch of the bayou, similar to the landscaping that fronts the Wortham and the Aquarium.

I don't think you need to build hotels, restaurants, bars, shops right on the bayou, but close enough to where the bayou is directly accessible from these places. The drawings in the Buffalo Bayou Redevelopment plan demonstrate exactly what I'm talking about. Furthermore, there are businesses in existence already who are under the threat of flooding (like the Brewery Tap, Spaghetti Warehouse...) There's always going to be some risk involved with locating a structure next to a body of water or mountain or what have you.

I beg to differ, my good friend :-) check out this link, yo!

http://www.buffalobayou.org/thumbimages/9-NORT%7E1.jpg

What we have here is what the Buffalo Bayou Redevelopment comittee hopes to have the Bayou look like by 2025.

For the WHOLE lists of projects and pics, here's a link for that, too.

http://www.buffalobayou.org/urbandevelop.html

I stumbled upon this as I recalled that a good amount of money was supposedly being put on the bayou. Apparently, they may have found a way to not only develop urban-style living and shopping along the bayou, but they may have an extensive flood-control plan as well. I'm VERY anxious for this project to come through MUCH earlier that 2025.

I LOVE your idea of a boat dock on the bayou!

I think the most beautiful area of that place is the area around Wortham Center, Aquarium and Bayou Place. I see potential market, yo.

Oye, what other areas needs a MAD revitalization plan from the City of Houston, yo?

Oh, I never lived in Seattle. I've lived in Houston my entire life, except for 6 years in Austin. I wasn't even in Seattle a week. I just visited and I realized that the things that were touching people weren't the things that were built for tourists, but for the people who live there.

Our natural assets are the bayou and the fertility of our land. Clearly we'll never have mountains, but we've got water and trees, and we could do a better job of capitalizing on that, and I think that that equates to making the city better for "us", not necessarily thinking about "them."

I think a CN tower, or a "Spirit of Houston" or any grand project like that is destined to fall short if attempted in Houston. With the possible exception of the Astrodome redevelopment and beyond what we already have, by way of public athletic venues, the things that will communicate how special Houston is to the world outside, will be relatively small things.

Well, I lived in Seattle for a long time. I can tell you that the primary reason Seattle attracts people is its natural beauty which unfortunately Houston lacks.

However, as far as other things that have been built for its people as concerned, I believe Houston has pretty much everything that you would in Seattle and then some: more dining options, more shopping options, more nighlife and more entertainment options. The downtown area in Seattle does have an edge over Houston as its street life is more prominent and active. However, before Pacific Place was built which attracted other nationally known retailers (and therefore the crowd), the Westlake mall and Pike Place market were the primary pedestrain zones.

Having said this, I agree that a symbolic attraction such as a "tower" or a tall building is not going to make much of a difference for Houston. It needs to find a special niche of its own to create its own special place.

By the way, I have have noticed that many of the highly praised cities such as San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego etc face the same issues that we see in Houston yet they are often "overlooked" (traffic, freeways, sprawl, tract housing) whereas in Houston those same issues seem to get all the attention while its positive aspects are "overlooked". Not fair, eh!

What if they built a canal connecting Buffalo Bayou with Brays Bayou that would pass through downtown, midtown and TMC (that is, similar to the route if light rail)? That could speed up redevelopment of midtown too. I wonder if thats plausible. Hmm, may be its a crazy idea.

Dude, that idea is CRAZY!! SO crazy, it just might work ;)

Well, I lived in Seattle for a long time. I can tell you that the primary reason Seattle attracts people is its natural beauty which unfortunately Houston lacks.

However, as far as other things that have been built for its people as concerned, I believe Houston has pretty much everything that you would in Seattle and then some: more dining options, more shopping options, more nighlife and more entertainment options. The downtown area in Seattle does have an edge over Houston as its street life is more prominent and active. However, before Pacific Place was built which attracted other nationally known retailers (and therefore the crowd), the Westlake mall and Pike Place market were the primary pedestrain zones.

Having said this, I agree that a symbolic attraction such as a "tower" or a tall building is not going to make much of a difference for Houston. It needs to find a special niche of its own to create its own special place.

By the way, I have have noticed that many of the highly praised cities such as San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego etc face the same issues that we see in Houston yet they are often "overlooked" (traffic, freeways, sprawl, tract housing) whereas in Houston those same issues seem to get all the attention while its positive aspects are "overlooked". Not fair, eh!

That's because the media only focuses on the bad and crazy things that happen here instead of the positive beauty that Houston could possible have. Its sad!

Enron

Andrea Yates

Hurricanes/Tropical Storms

BP Power plant explosion.

etc...

San Diego is known for its zoo

San Fran for its bridge

L.A. for Hollywood

NY for being "The Big Apple"

Las Vegas for lavish spending, entertainment, gambling, etc...

Dallas for "The Big D" -Dallas TV show, its wealth, and sterotype of Texas (cowboys, longhorns, etc...)

Chicago for Oprah, Sears Tower, the attractions, (not sure what's in Chicago I would care to see)

Atlanta only because Ted Turner and his mass media there

Florida for its family theme parks

We're known for our medical science, NASA space exploration (and I'm not sure from an outsider's point of view)

That's because the media only focuses on the bad and crazy things that happen here instead of the positive beauty that Houston could possible have. Its sad!

Enron

Andrea Yates

Hurricanes/Tropical Storms

BP Power plant explosion.

etc...

San Diego is known for its zoo

San Fran for its bridge

L.A. for Hollywood

NY for being "The Big Apple"

Las Vegas for lavish spending, entertainment, gambling, etc...

Dallas for "The Big D" -Dallas TV show, its wealth, and sterotype of Texas (cowboys, longhorns, etc...)

Chicago for Oprah, Sears Tower, the attractions, (not sure what's in Chicago I would care to see)

Atlanta only because Ted Turner and his mass media there

Florida for its family theme parks

We're known for our medical science, NASA space exploration (and I'm not sure from an outsider's point of view)

Being in Korea, I've had the opportunity to ask quiet a few of the nationals here what they think of when they hear Houston. Here's the response I get...

6) Rodeo Houston. It's shown in Korea on AFN.

5) Houston Sports and Yao Ming. Not just Yao, but ANY international sports star makes world news, though obviously Korea doesn't follow him like China does. But Rockets, Astros, and Texans merchandise is REALLY popular here in Korea, ESPECIALLY McGrady jerseys, and anything with an Astros logo.

4) Enron. The people don't see Enron as a corporation that defines Houston, but they do see them as a corporation that sucks.

3) Famous residence of the Houston area, such as former president Bush, Destiny's Child, Hillary Duff, Renee Zelwiger, Swisha House, among many others.

2) Space. "Houston, we have a problem." Mission Control.

1) Super Bowl XXXVIII. The t.v. specials shown here on the celebrity parties around Houston we're unpresedented, and when they showed Main Street, George R. Brown, the Galleria, and all the shopping places here, it REALLY boosted Houston image. The most exciting image for Korea was Janet Jackson and the Streaker. Though Houston's local media saw these two as a nusiance and negative reactions were rampantly shown on t.v. at home, the world seemed to see them as examples of Houston being a city where ANYTHING can happen, thus it seemed to improve our image as a hot down (while lowering janet's and boosting the serial streakers). Irony at it's finest :-)

Anyone here hear anything else about H-Town from another part of America or the World?

The media coverage on main street during the Superbowl gave Houston a much more urban look than is reality. Some canyon-type shots of main st. made our downtown comparable to the likes of Chicago.

In a way, we are sorta of a younger sibling to Chicago. We are both business cities, with no majr tourist attractions. The only reason people like Chicago is due to aging. Its had time to define itself as a world class city. Its the New York of the west. In time I think we will age into a destination oriented city also. All this, not based on tourism, but more simply: just charm.

Chicago doesn't have tourist attractions? Dude, seriously...

yeah, enron represents the hideous side of corporate america as opposed to just houston.

houston's biggest obstacle is traffic and lack of alternatives. why would anyone want to visit a city that is difficult to get around in?

plus this city needs to come up with its own ideas rather than emulate other cities; riverwalk(san antonio), theme parks(orlando), towers or giant statues (toronto, seattle, new york). this city has world class theaters and museums and needs to capitalize and improve on what it already has

Archived