Oak Forest Information & Developments

Orikal

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There been rumors that HEB bought the sears property on Shepard 

I would love if they renovate the HEB on 18th street and also consider expanding it by using the former walgreen spot next door.

There been rumors that HEB bought the sears property on Shepard 

I would love if they renovate the HEB on 18th street and also consider expanding it by using the former walgreen spot next door.

Oh no... not that Sears! is it still open?   it has the coolest sign. 

Oh no... not that Sears! is it still open?   it has the coolest sign. 

Yes, it is still open and serving the Greater Heights, Timbergrove, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest area. I buy tools and such there, plus many of our appliances came from that location.

• 1 year later...

contact email:   h.house@aol.com

Convenient location just outside loop!  610/290/W.43rd/ area. Minutes to downtown, galleria, med center & beltway 8/airport & I-45.  2 1950s houses next to each other.  [1] 2 bedrooms [one is large master with walk-in closet & half bath], hardwood floors,  1241 sq ft [hcad] one car garage & shady, very private wood fenced back yard.  No smoking, pets on case by case basis. It's a cutie!  $1300/mo

[2] 3 bedrooms 1 1/2 baths. 2 car garage,  Master has half bath with walk-in closet.  Hardwood floors, doors & trim.  It is 99% original in detail. it has private back yard with 3/4 of it wood fenced.   No smoking, pets on case by case basis.  Has newish [09] double driveway. 1414 sq ft per hcad.  $1600/mo

Please contact by above email address with questions.   If your not familiar with Oak Forest, it neighbors Garden Oaks just outside Loop 610 & has great shopping center & restraunts nearby.  It is going thru the West University transition with remodeling & new construction scattered thru the subdivision.   290 has large variety of name brand eating establishments.  St. Ambrose Church/school is few blocks away.  T. C. Jester park offers jogging trail & green space.  Mangum Manor park [down street from my houses] also has walking/jogging trail & tennis court.   My houses are brick, built in early 50s.  I'm hands on landlord who cares about my rentals.  Average tenants stay 18 months to 5 years.  Thank you for viewing my posting.

Check out the Eastwood area of the East End in SE part of town.  It's in the shadows of UH campus across freeway from UH down Cullen.  OakForest is in NW part of town, not convenient to UH [unless downtown campus].  With light rail in East End, you have more options than in the past.  Flipping & builders doing urban renewal gives the Harris & surrounding appraisal districts reason to up values, taxes increase [especially on rental property...no homestead exemptions] & insurance follows with increased costs.  I'm not being negative about urban renewal, just being honest.  After 50 yrs in the rental business, the cycles keep rolling.  What's hot today, may be cold tomorrow.  As Kenny Rogers sang "you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run".  Big decision with my grey hair & price of oil per barrell [which makes Houston tick].  I wish you well in your search.  Being native Houstonian & having had property in East End,  I'd pack a lunch & drive the East End as many rentals are not on Multiple Listing, just signs in yard [as I do].  Many think East End not safe, I never had problems in the 30 yrs I owned property there.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Anyone able to provide more recent insight on Oak Forest West, including Mangum Manor, Forest Pines and Forest West? 

Wife and I are looking at homes in the area (since our money goes further here) and think the area is prime for appreciation, particularly the homes outside of the floodplain. 

• The title was changed to For Rent Oak Forest Recent Updating/Remodeling 2/1.5/1A
  • The title was changed to Oak Forest Information & Developments

Archived