Oak Forest Information & Developments

Orikal

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The homes are newer and nicer in Sheperd Park. This particular area (Sheperd Park) was once a golf course (Heights Golf Course). My dad used to caddy there on weekends befroe the war to make extra money. If I'm not mistaken one of the main streets into the neighborhood is still called Golf Dr.

The homes are newer and nicer in Sheperd Park. This particular area (Sheperd Park) was once a golf course (Heights Golf Course). My dad used to caddy there on weekends befroe the war to make extra money. If I'm not mistaken one of the main streets into the neighborhood is still called Golf Dr.

Good info to know. I always thought Golf Dr. was a somewhat out of place street name for the area.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A group of residents from Oak Forest, Garden Oaks and Shepherd Forest have banded together to petition for a train Quiet Zone in our area. There is an application pending with the City of Houston for a 'Garden Oaks Quiet Zone'. We just need to get residents to email/call/phone the City to support this Quiet Zone. Please visit our website at http://www.gardenoaksquietzone.com for more information and contacts. Thanks!

I don't know why the city keeps letting these evil choo choo companies swoop in during the middle of the night and lay down these tracks to disturb the peace of those that have lived there for a year or two!

No kidding. I understand their concerns and a quiet zone isn't at all the same thing as wanting the tracks removed, but many many people in this town have no idea just how long the train tracks have been here. Those in particular - the BNSF line to Corsicana - have been there since 1901. The tracks in Sugar Land that people down there like to complain about are more than 150 years old!

BTW - I support the quiet zone here. We are about equidistant between the UP line down south along Washington and the BNSF line in Garden Oaks and we can hear both pretty clearly on most nights. The Eureka Yard is also pretty loud, too, but I keep hearing rumors that it is indeed about to go away.

I don't know why the city keeps letting these evil choo choo companies swoop in during the middle of the night and lay down these tracks to disturb the peace of those that have lived there for a year or two!

Many residents in Garden Oaks/Oak Forest/Shepherd Forest have lived in the area 30+ years and are supporting the Quiet Zone effort. We know the tracks were there first but there are more trains on the tracks (20-30 a day now) as the City of Houston and the Port of Houston expand. Federal law provides for Quiet Zones and we are requesting one pursuant to that. A Quiet Zone will improve the quality of life for many residents in the area. Garden Oaks is not alone in requesting a Quiet Zone...there are 12 or so pending applications with the City of Houston.

Many residents in Garden Oaks/Oak Forest/Shepherd Forest have lived in the area 30+ years and are supporting the Quiet Zone effort. We know the tracks were there first but there are more trains on the tracks (20-30 a day now) as the City of Houston and the Port of Houston expand. Federal law provides for Quiet Zones and we are requesting one pursuant to that. A Quiet Zone will improve the quality of life for many residents in the area. Garden Oaks is not alone in requesting a Quiet Zone...there are 12 or so pending applications with the City of Houston.

I think his point is that the quiet zone movement is a relatively recent phenomenon. Sure, there have been people there for a long time, but I would bet that while the old timers support the idea it wasn't one of them that initiated the effort. Bellaire and West U (and River Oaks) have been built out since the 40's and before and they didn't get a quiet zone there until the whole teardown movement started 10 years ago and wealthier new residents moved in. I know because I used to live in Southdale - the old timers in the bungalows just considered the trains another part of life - it was the new people who were complaining.

Not that any of that matters as I still think it's a good idea.

• 4 months later...

Since I mentioned restaurants on another thread, I was wondering what your favorites are in the neighborhood or close by.

Some of mine are:

Doyle's

Pierson & Co. BBQ on T C Jester

Little Bitty Burger Barn

Tony's on Ella

Barbecue Inn

Red Onion on 290

Ryan's Steakhouse on 34th off 290

Frank's Grill on Mangum

Supreme Sandwiches on Jester at Dacoma

Just down the road:

Shanghai Inn on 290 at Fairbanks N Houston (Great Pressed Chicken)

Eats Mesquite Grill on Hempstead at Tidwell

Cajun Town Caf

Mytiburger on 43rd near East TC Jester! Great hamburgers, they will make it any way you want it. It does take a good 10 minutes or so for your order to be ready, but they accept orders over the phone. Just call them, place your order, and by the time you show up, its ready to go.

Double Daves on Ella was a good hang out on their $1 pints with buffet night, but they changed management a while back and I haven't been back since so it might be different.

Since I mentioned restaurants on another thread, I was wondering what your favorites are in the neighborhood or close by.

Some of mine are:

Doyle's

Pierson & Co. BBQ on T C Jester

Little Bitty Burger Barn

Tony's on Ella

Barbecue Inn

Tell me about Pierson & Co, I'm always looking for good barbecue.

I second Frank's and Barbecue Inn. Need to try Tony's.

Sorry to hear about Ryan's closing. I looked it up and saw four of the eight locations closed, and the name has changed for the ones still open. Supreme Sandwiches catered a lunch at the office once, and I started going there after that. I just thought they were really good, and very reasonably priced, quite unlike their neighbor, Antone's.

That Antone's was without a doubt the worst location in Houston, although I know not all are owned by the same people. Same family, perhaps, but different owners.

I went to Larry's BBQ a couple of times, and I loved it, but GF didn't, so we didn't go. Not everything was good, but the selection was very big, and some items were very tasty.

Some of the chains I liked in the area include Olive Garden, Black-Eyed Pea, Jason's Deli, Chili's and Steak and Ale, which may also be colsed. I gave up on the Pappa's chain. They priced themselves out of my interest range, and I had a few bad experiences with them.

I used to go to Railroad Crossing BBQ years ago, and it was good, but I don't know about now. It is on Hempstead north of Gessner. On Gessner west of Hempstead was Sam's Hamburgers. It was always packed at lunchtime.

You need to give Cajun Town a try. You walk up to the counter to order, then they bring the food to your table. When it gets crowded, you may be standing in line for a while. The Leader used to carry a coupon for the restaurant, and I believe they still do.

They have great fried seafood, French fries and onion rings. The hamburgers are top notch. But their specialty is the grilled fish with a choice of toppings and sauces. GF went there a few weeks ago and said it was still tops.

One of the best burgers in town was Tommy's on Post Oak north of Old Katy. Eats used to be in Deauville Plaza behind Black-Eyed Pea, but could never draw a crowd there. They seemed to be doing OK at the Hempstead/Tidwell location. The guys who own Eats and Tommy's are brothers, and really nice folks.

Last time I went to Antones it was pretty good. They even toast your po-boy's if you want. We didn't care for Larry's BBQ, but we went 3 times to give it a chance. It's been a long time, but really not on our list. Steak 'n Ale is long gone!

I remember when Eats was behind the Black Eyed Pea. We ate there a couple times. Now it is an Italian restaurant - Fratelli's, which has very good food. I like it a lot, but my DH doesn't. He like the spaghetti at Spaghtti Warehouse, which is more American, and Frateeli's is more real Italian, so . . .

We have gone to Railroad Crossing before, but not for the BBQ. We had the steak dinner which was good for the price. Not top notch, but not shabby at all.

Is Tommy's on N. Post Oak? Is it a stand alone building or in an office building? Why do you say "was" the best burger. Is it not now? I am a burger freak, but even though I live around the corner from Mytiburger I am not a big fan. They are okay but more often than not they come out too dry, and I like juicy. I'll have to try the burger at Cajun Town.

I'm with you on the Pappas chain - don't go there. We have more than one bad experience (at the Steakhouse was the worst), and since they ruined Luby's, never again! They would have to give the food to me.

If you haven't tried Pierson's BBQ you have to check it out. Limited hours, Tues - Sat from 11am to 7pm. There was a BBQ smackdown last year with a bunch of Houston Chowhounds and they won first place for brisket and 2nd (lost by a couple points) for ribs. They also have pork, turkey, sausage, boudin, and more. If you google them you will find a website. Very friendly people, but not many tables so we get it to go. If you want smoked chicken it is best to call ahead. Only on weekends, but very good. And the beans are the greatest. Someone told me it is East Texas style BBQ. Don't know, because I am not an expert, but it is great. I never even get sauce on it - put it on the side. The meat is good on it's own, but the sauce is good too. Love this place. T C Jester just past Tidwell.

We actually preferred Tecate to Tony's. Tecate is just a few blocks north of Tony's. Tony's wasn't bad, but I did find it to be about fairly average fare.

We are the opposite. One of the things I really like about Tony's (besides the killer margaritas) is the large menu. Lots of choices. They have pretty good quail too. My DH only eats fajitas at Mexican places, and he doesn't like Tecate. He likes Tony's but they aren't his favorite. He REALLY like Fajita Willies out 290 by Gessner, or Lupe Tortillas.

Tell me about Pierson & Co, I'm always looking for good barbecue.

Pierson is a fabulous little place. The folks that run it are always incredibly nice and they turn out some of the meanest BBQ around. Their brisket is my favorite in town, and their ribs are damn good too. It's just off Tidwell - go give them a try and report back. :)

Why is the Shipley's Donuts on Ella always crowded in the afternoons? We drive by there on our way to Krogers and the line is always out in the street. Are they giving away free donuts or something?

That's a great question and I wish I could find out! That is a ridiculous line for a donut place at dinner time. Maybe some people have donuts and kolaches for dinner. I went in there one afternoon, around 3pm, to look at the menu. I thought maybe they were selling some dinner type food, but it was the usual Shipleys stuff. I tried to ask why so many came in at 5pm but there was a language barrier and I got no answers. If you figure it out, share with us.

Pierson is a fabulous little place. The folks that run it are always incredibly nice and they turn out some of the meanest BBQ around. Their brisket is my favorite in town, and their ribs are damn good too. It's just off Tidwell - go give them a try and report back. :)

I posted a bit about Pierson's in post #8, just in case you miss it.

Is Tommy's on N. Post Oak? Is it a stand alone building or in an office building? Why do you say "was" the best burger. Is it not now?
The building where Tommy's is used to be a meat market, possibly B&W Meat. We used to go there when I was a kid.

I say "was" only because I don't plan to go back there, nor any of the places I have mentioned because I have no plans to ever go back to Houston. It still hold a lot of fond memories for me, but there is nothing there for me any more. My home is now Bastrop, and will be 'til the day I die.

The building where Tommy's is used to be a meat market, possibly B&W Meat. We used to go there when I was a kid.

I say "was" only because I don't plan to go back there, nor any of the places I have mentioned because I have no plans to ever go back to Houston. It still hold a lot of fond memories for me, but there is nothing there for me any more. My home is now Bastrop, and will be 'til the day I die.

What part of the Heights did you live in Mr. Height2Bastrop? And nobody could blame you, Bastrop is beautiful!

What part of the Heights did you live in Mr. Height2Bastrop?
I grew up on 14th near Beall. I bought a house in Timbergrove in 1979 on Timbergrove St and Jester, then moved to 11th and Bay Oaks. I sold that house before moving to Bastrop.

Bastrop is nice, but what makes it so wonderful is the people. I never got involved in any community effots when I was in Houston. Here I am very much involved with some of the 146 non-profit organizations in Bastrop. Never have I seen so many so willing to do so much for so many others as I have here.

Archived