Oak Forest Information & Developments

Orikal

I live in Robindell which is near the same area...most homes are from the 50's early 60's. Herndon & Muncy is coming by next Friday to do the hydrostatic testing as well as some pressure type tests and another one that involves a ball they send down the pipes to check for blockages. Luckily they are only charging $350 for the initial testing. I have a home waranty company (that really sucks: First American Home Buyers Protection--what a joke) that I'm using that only pays $450 for the entire job! Since I'm reading your posts it sounds like that will only cover the upfront price for the tests and the actual tunneling under the home and pipe replacement will be in the tens of thousands??? We have only owned the home for 4 months. Ouch. Thats a hefty price. I did get a bid for about $2000 to replace the entire line, and $450 to replace only the broken piece. I'm hoping the tests wolnt reveal more pipes that need replacement.

SDEITA - I recently found out that at least one insurance carrier (Texas Select I think) is still issuing Homeowners 'B' policies. These policies used to cover underhouse plumbing repairs.

I know most people, myself included, no longer have a 'B' policy, but you might check yours just in case you do find a problem. But be careful inquiring about this with your carrier - even phone calls supposedly go to a database kept on each property, which they say could result in a higher rate if your house has several inquiries and/or claims against it.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for opinions of the neighborhood of Brookwood Estates. North of the Loop from Timbergrove, but a lot more affordable. See some new construction of townhomes off of Sherwood Lane, but also a lot of less than desirable apartments. However, new HISD building going up directly across 290. Opinions about this general area? Anyone?

• 5 months later...
We are looking at some homes in the Oak Forest area, one specifically just east of Rosslyn. What are your thoughts on the neighborhood? Any words of wisdom or encouragment? We are first time home buyers. :unsure:

jgusto, welcome to HAIF. You might want to seach for "Oak Forest" on this site. The neighborhood is a very popular topic here on HAIF. I did a quick search and found 3 pages that mentioned Oak Forest. Give it a shot.

Good Luck. There are many Oak Forest residents on this board. :D

We are looking at some homes in the Oak Forest area, one specifically just east of Rosslyn. What are your thoughts on the neighborhood? Any words of wisdom or encouragment? We are first time home buyers. :unsure:

Your money will go further in Shepherd Forest, plus you'll be closer to town.

Check the flood maps at maps.tsarp.org I believe the westermost portions of OF in 70018 are in the flood plain.

I have lived in the Garden Oaks and Oak Forest area since 1961-62. That is except for four years in the Marine Corps.

I would not live anywhere else unless it was out in the country.

I like the east side of Rossilyn. It made a very good levee during Allison. That was the first time i ever saw White Oak leave its banks and everything east of Rossilyn did well.

Anyway that's my 2 cents

bob

I live in Oak Forest (about 1/2 block East of Rosslyn) and I love it. I mean I really, really love it. :P

This was our first home as well, and we couldn't be happier. The homes are older, and depending on your price range, the properties are going to need various amounts of work. I live about 2 miles from the Kroger on W43rd, have mature shade trees, and I ride my bike every morning to the park along TC Jester for some quick exercise before work. For the price range and the amenities, I would be hard pressed to suggest anything better. The homeowner's association, while voluntary, is very active and a great resource. www.ofha.org

As this area becomes more attractive to home buyers though, taxes are starting to increase relatively sharply. Mine went up a hefty amount this year.

Let us know what happens!

So we made an offer on a house... in Oak Forest. Just a block north of 43rd to the east of Rosslyn. As far as the inspections... so far so good. Still need the hydrostatic testing though. Any thoughts as far as the underground plumbing is concerned? Did you have the hydrostatic testing done? If all goes well it looks like we will be closing in July.

Thanks for the comments.

• 9 months later...

OAK FOREST "GROUP HOME" SEC 16

This week a "group home" has moved into sec. 16. Will that make property values fall? Do deed restrictions apply to group homes? Lived in area many years, seen many changes, this a bit different. Are there other group homes in Oak Forest, Forest Pines, Forest West, Mangum Manor that most of us are not aware of? I've done a bit of online research & a "consulting" company for group home management says property values are not affected. True?

Guest danax
OAK FOREST "GROUP HOME" SEC 16

This week a "group home" has moved into sec. 16. Will that make property values fall? Do deed restrictions apply to group homes? Lived in area many years, seen many changes, this a bit different. Are there other group homes in Oak Forest, Forest Pines, Forest West, Mangum Manor that most of us are not aware of? I've done a bit of online research & a "consulting" company for group home management says property values are not affected. True?

Check your deed restrictions. I would think that they would exclude businesses and limit homes to being single family. Whether or not the City would want to take action, if they are in violation of deed restrictions, is another question.

What kind of group are they? I was told of a "group" that wants to buy a home in our un-deed restricted area and the "group" is schizophrenics. :mellow:

And welcome to the family, Grandma.

Check your deed restrictions. I would think that they would exclude businesses and limit homes to being single family. Whether or not the City would want to take action, if they are in violation of deed restrictions, is another question.

What kind of group are they? I was told of a "group" that wants to buy a home in our un-deed restricted area and the "group" is schizophrenics. :mellow:

And welcome to the family, Grandma.

I have not met anyone, but believe the residents are physically challenged. Our deed restrictions do exclude businesses & I think [?] homes in all sections are single family.

Thanks for the welcome. It's been quite a while since the previous posting. Perpahs I should move this message to another topic with more up-to-date postings?

• 4 months later...

Hi...I'm new to this site. I'm currently looking at buying a house in Oak Forest right around the corner from the new shopping center that is being built. I'm not very familiar with this area and I was hoping that someone could provide insight with regard to potential home values in the future, impact of the new shopping center, and the general "feel" of the neighborhood. I currently live in the midtown area, but am tired of paying rent. I realize that it will be an adjustment, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a small heights bungalow. And advice given is greatly appreciated...thanks!

The sections east of the Bayou are the preferred parts. The closer to Garden Oaks seems to be the highest demand. I believe Oak Forest elementary is highly rated, (Vicman is sure to come along and fill us in). That helps broaden the audience quite a bit. Since that elementary school is good, a lot of urban couples with small children that do not want to do the suburban Katy/Spring/Cypress/Sugarland type of place will go to Oak Forest. You also have the nice trees and large lots that will continue to invite redevelopment. The merits of that can be argued, but right, wrong or indifferent it will continue to push prices up.

I also wouldn't underestimate the impact of the improving retail around 43rd. If we could duplicate that one little center & the Kroger & put it over by Eastwood or Idylwood, prices would probably skyrocket there. Having a decent grocery store, even if it is not the caliber of say, Central Market or Whole Foods or whatever, has an enormous impact on the desirability of the area for a lot of people.

I had a couple of listings in Oak Forest recently and the showings were off the hook. I wish I could get the kind of volume of showings in Westbury, Glenbrook, Idylwood & Eastwood that I would get on my listings in Oak Forest. On average at least one showing a day. Demand is clearly strong in there.

On the downside, for me personally I don't find Oak Forest houses that appealing. Its a wonderful area and I see it as a rock solid investment. The style of the houses are generally just too boring for me. The trees are great, I totally get it why it is popular, but I like a little more architectural punch than most of the homes over there offer. That said, it is still a great area to get into. You should be very comfortable and confident in investing there. Just look at the "comps" when buying and make sure you are getting a decent price.

Oak Forest Elementary School, which covers much of eastern Oak Forest, is highly rated.

The elementary schools that serve other parts of Oak Forest include:

* Benbrook

* Garden Oaks

* Kate Smith

* Stevens

* Wainwright

Middle schools that serve sections of Oak Forest include:

* Black

* Clifton

High schools that serve sections of Oak Forest include:

* Scarborough

* Waltrip

Check out Shepherd Forest, east of Ella Blvd. Prices are slightly lower than Oak Forest, and it is closer to town.

Thanks for the input so far...this is a great site! The house I am looking at is in the Oak Forest elementary district, so that is good to know. I have heard of Shepherd Forest, but thought it was in the flood plain?

I don't have much to add to what has already been said, but I love the neighborhood. My wife and I moved here from Midtown in '05, after we became tired of renting as well. Most of the homes East of Rosslyn were built in the 50's, however there has been a lot of new construction recently, as these older homes become obsolete.

There is a great neighborhood feel, and you'll see a lot of people from different backgrounds on a daily basis. A trip to the grocery store is only about 5 minutes away, it's only 10-15 minutes to the Galleria or Downtown, there's a great park/bike trail along West T.C. Jester, not to mention there's a lot of appreciation left in the area.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the input so far...this is a great site! The house I am looking at is in the Oak Forest elementary district, so that is good to know. I have heard of Shepherd Forest, but thought it was in the flood plain?

The western portion of Oak Forest is in the flood plain. Same for Shepherd Forest is in the flood plain. Shepherd Forest, east of Ella (like I suggested) is not even close to being in the flood plain. Check out maps.tsarp.org for maps of the flood plains.

What price range are you looking in?

The western portion of Oak Forest is in the flood plain. Same for Shepherd Forest is in the flood plain. Shepherd Forest, east of Ella (like I suggested) is not even close to being in the flood plain. Check out maps.tsarp.org for maps of the flood plains.

What price range are you looking in?

thanks for the link...that is very helpful. basically, $200k is the upper point of my range.

thanks for the link...that is very helpful. basically, $200k is the upper point of my range.

Your money will definetly go further in Shepherd Forest...

This house is nice and big, and is on a nice street. Price might be a bit steep. $185k would probably be a better price.

This house is nicer than the one above and on a bigger lot, although the street isn't quite as good, and they've obviously cut some corners on it such as the electrical service hasn't been updated, and they used a standard self rimming sink with granite countertops. WTF? No undermount sink?!?! Again, the price is a bit steep IMNSHO. I would buy this one for $160-ish.

• 2 weeks later...

A 3/1.5/1 with 1222 sf asking $179,900?!? wow, oak forest is already too rich for my blood... (well, not my blood, but my brain just isn't ready to pay that much for that little....) that is just nuts!

i like the area, but the houses are small and bland. may work for singles or DINKs (which I was until a year ago), but I can't imagine a family living in 1222 sf, sharing a bathroom, and not having space to store any of their stuff... (i know, get rid of the stuff.)

that yard is great, though.

I have one for sale in Oak Forest on Lamonte. I really like Oak Forest for it's location and ability to increase home values by rehabbing. I'm finding that many homes sold in the higher 100k price range have undergone a good rehab process, so if you can find one that hasn't and put some money into the property, it's money well spent.

The biggest gripe about the home I have for sale on Lamonte though is it's location; many buyers are commenting that they don't like being right on Ella. I have someone who is really interested with no children though; we may go looking this weekend.

A 3/1.5/1 with 1222 sf asking $179,900?!? wow, oak forest is already too rich for my blood... (well, not my blood, but my brain just isn't ready to pay that much for that little....) that is just nuts!

i like the area, but the houses are small and bland. may work for singles or DINKs (which I was until a year ago), but I can't imagine a family living in 1222 sf, sharing a bathroom, and not having space to store any of their stuff... (i know, get rid of the stuff.)

that yard is great, though.

LOL That house wasn't even in Oak Forest. In Oak Forest a house like that would probably be just a shade over 200k.

I have one for sale in Oak Forest on Lamonte. I really like Oak Forest for it's location and ability to increase home values by rehabbing. I'm finding that many homes sold in the higher 100k price range have undergone a good rehab process, so if you can find one that hasn't and put some money into the property, it's money well spent.

The biggest gripe about the home I have for sale on Lamonte though is it's location; many buyers are commenting that they don't like being right on Ella. I have someone who is really interested with no children though; we may go looking this weekend.

I actually put an offer on a house that was a couple houses down from the one mentioned above. I thought I put in a pretty reasonable offer considering that it was a 2/1 and 1000 sq ft. My offer was rejected so I'm assuming they must have gotten another offer really close to asking (185). The only main concern that I had is that there is an open lot right behind that area that is just prime for development. It could turn out to be something really nice, but it is also the perfect size for a fast food restaurant. I couldn't imagine smelling McDonald's all the time. As for rehabbing a house, I don't mind doing some small projects, but I'd rather have a house that is pretty much completely remodeled. I'd rather pay a little more not to have the headache. I do really like the area though and am hoping that something comes up.

I saw a house that was being completely redone...down the road on Althea. It was being redone by Chip Johnson. I'm sure it's pretty expensive b/c the house looks like it was taken to the studs and rebuilt. I tried to go to the website that was listed on the sign (chipjohnsonhomes.com), but it didn't work. Does anyone happen to know what the right web address is?

• 2 weeks later...
I have not met anyone, but believe the residents are physically challenged. Our deed restrictions do exclude businesses & I think [?] homes in all sections are single family.

Thanks for the welcome. It's been quite a while since the previous posting. Perpahs I should move this message to another topic with more up-to-date postings?

Grandma, do you know if this group ever moved in? I'm thinking about putting an offer on a house in section 16 and this would be helpful information. Thanks!

I actually put an offer on a house that was a couple houses down from the one mentioned above. I thought I put in a pretty reasonable offer considering that it was a 2/1 and 1000 sq ft. My offer was rejected so I'm assuming they must have gotten another offer really close to asking (185). The only main concern that I had is that there is an open lot right behind that area that is just prime for development. It could turn out to be something really nice, but it is also the perfect size for a fast food restaurant. I couldn't imagine smelling McDonald's all the time. As for rehabbing a house, I don't mind doing some small projects, but I'd rather have a house that is pretty much completely remodeled. I'd rather pay a little more not to have the headache. I do really like the area though and am hoping that something comes up.

I saw a house that was being completely redone...down the road on Althea. It was being redone by Chip Johnson. I'm sure it's pretty expensive b/c the house looks like it was taken to the studs and rebuilt. I tried to go to the website that was listed on the sign (chipjohnsonhomes.com), but it didn't work. Does anyone happen to know what the right web address is?

This might be a little late... but anyhow, Chip is doing our house on Ebony, and he already has the one he is doing on althea under contract, believe me, I wanted that house... I wont go with anyone else for a remodeled house in the area... and the new ones don't leave much yard space... but depending on your budget, I know he has another one west on roselyn, I don't think he has a website, but call him, eventually he will get back to you... I don't know if u can say here how much ur paying for the houses, but if u want to know send me a PM...

• 2 weeks later...
It is closer to the ghetto, the houses are newer and larger than the originals in 77018, and they don't sell for as much $$.

All very true, as I live in Oak Forest, west of the bayou. However, I am very happy with my home and my neighborhood. The apartments on Mangum and Watonga are undesireable, but once you get into my neighborhood, it is very quite.

As long as you stay South of Pinemont (Forest Pines, Oak Forest, Mangum Manor), you're fine.

Archived