Oak Forest Information & Developments

Orikal

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I grew up on 14th near Beall. I bought a house in Timbergrove in 1979 on Timbergrove St and Jester, then moved to 11th and Bay Oaks. I sold that house before moving to Bastrop.

Bastrop is nice, but what makes it so wonderful is the people. I never got involved in any community effots when I was in Houston. Here I am very much involved with some of the 146 non-profit organizations in Bastrop. Never have I seen so many so willing to do so much for so many others as I have here.

Sounds like my kind of place.

I am pretty much done with the Kroger on 43rd. With the profit margin on groceries being so slim, you would think they would try to win you over with customer service but they do not and seem to consider us a captive audience. I just think it is a shame that there is not a larger selection of stores in our area. Competition breeds better service. Our area has really grown over the years and deserves some attention.

I have been to that Randall's on 34th and its actually pretty nice, not as convenient as the Krogers, but still pretty decent. A central market or whole foods would be great though. I usually go to the Krogers for about 95% of my grocery shopping but sometimes their beer/wine/cheese/produce selection is a little lacking. Ooohhhh....a Spec's with a deli would hit the spot!

I have been to that Randall's on 34th and its actually pretty nice, not as convenient as the Krogers, but still pretty decent. A central market or whole foods would be great though. I usually go to the Krogers for about 95% of my grocery shopping but sometimes their beer/wine/cheese/produce selection is a little lacking. Ooohhhh....a Spec's with a deli would hit the spot!

I alternate between Krogers and Randalls depending on the specials. Foodarama at Ella & TC Jester may look grungy but you can get some really good deals there on meat, dairy products and produce. The HEB right by there is decent too. These smaller stores don't have the selection of the big guys, but offer some unique and good stuff the big guys don't have.

I agree that a Spec's with a deli would be great!

Something needs to move into that site at Ella and the railroad tracks.

Or overhaul the site on NW corner of 43rd and Rosslyn - for a smaller non-mega supermarket. Possibly something like a Trader Joe's or a better version of the failed McCain's that used to be on Heights.

No, no, no on Randall's. Sodas are a given on my shopping list and that they regularly charge like 5.99 for a 12-pack is pretty indicative of their prices in general. That chain doesn't even have the snoot factor it once had so I just don't get the appeal. I usually do the HEB - they could benefit from moving into bigger digs. I'd be pleased to get one with a deli - I could live off their chicken salads and red pepper hummus. The people who work at the HEB on TC Jester/18th are all soooo nice and it's basically the same group of people everytime. I went to K's today because it was closer, but apathetic teens don't exactly drive home the service and that chain just drives up the prices.

I don't like Tony's because of the people who work there. I swear that that they assess your slumminess/sinfulness and stick you as far back as they can based on that. On a busy night, you might get pushed to the end of the line over and over. All while bible verses preach at you from the signs and menus. Just take a look around at the people you're seated next to, and you'll figure out how they view you. Just an opinion, but we decided at some point that we could only do take out from them. Too bad I love their queso and guac so much or I'd have been gone a loooong time ago.

Tommy's, if it's the same one I'm thinking, has the BEST breakfast tacos. Heaven.

Shipley's business - maybe the school right around the corner causes it? Just a guess.

Double Dave's - not great pizza, but generally a good place to hang out with friends or family. Wed night they give you a free beer with your buffet (that's still with the new mgmt), but you also have a million kids to contend with. Probably why you have to drink I personally like it best for lunch buffet when it is slooooow and you can just relax and use the wifi.

I really liked Tecate's, but one time they wouldn't accept our Kroger coupon, saying it was only good after 4 PM (no sign saying such or disclaimer on coupon) AND the paper in our chip basket had chewed gum stuck on it. :wacko: Between both on one visit, my husband has refused to return.

Brief thread drift, but I had occasion to fall in love with Oak Forest all over again when my husband was sick a few weeks ago with a severe bronchial infection. Went from the pulmonologist's office in Memorial Hermann Northwest right into the hospital, which is 1/2 mile from home. With Kroger, Walgreens and our bank blocks away, a very stressful time was made much easier, considering he was there for 5 days. After being accustomed to taking my mother-in-law to one doctor across town, then another way out yonder who would put her in a hospital in the Medical Center and then having to navigate traffic on Main or Fannin during rush hour to visit, his stay was as good as any hospital experience could be considered to be. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Petrol Station on Wakefield. I hadn't been in almost 3 years and stopped by one night to meet some friends who live on the area. GREAT lamb burgers and a huge draft beer selection. Good coffee too.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Petrol Station on Wakefield. I hadn't been in almost 3 years and stopped by one night to meet some friends who live on the area. GREAT lamb burgers and a huge draft beer selection. Good coffee too.

Great to hear about the Petrol Station. Found something online about it a while ago and driven by once or twice and have been wanting to give it a try and definitely will now.

We tried Cavatore's for the first time last week (next to Tony's) and found a fun atmosphere with the piano playing, kitschy but interesting decor and good food.

We also like Rainbow Lodge, essentially across the street from Cavatore's, which has great tasting inspired wildgame dishes.

I like Mytiburger too but wish some good restaurants that would open on 43rd between Ella and TC Jester, seems like an area that could really use a couple great neighborhood restaurants.

The PeeTroll Station had lousy coffee when they started out as a coffee house, and it felt like the owners were living in the place.

I always love going to Roznovsky's Hamburgers when I'm in that area (T.C. Jester and 34th). I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this place yet. They always make consistently good food.

I know these places have closed, but does anyone remember Don Jose Mexican Restaurant from the late 80s and early 90s, and also Pistol Pete's Pizza? Anyone remember what streets those places were on?

I always love going to Roznovsky's Hamburgers when I'm in that area (T.C. Jester and 34th). I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this place yet. They always make consistently good food.

Roznovsky's is BLAND BLAND BLAND. I'd rather have Wendy's....faster and better tasting.

• 5 months later...

I'm looking for a good tailor to make some minor suit alterations and alterations in general (e.g. hemming pants). Any recommendations or comments for tailors in the heights/oak forest/garden oaks areas? Any opinions or experiences with Leo's Fine Tailoring on TC Jester?

I have been using Martin Tailors on Faegan and Shepard. They have been in business since the 1950s. I have had great service with them.

P.S. You may get more answers in the Heights forum.

I'm looking for a good tailor to make some minor suit alterations and alterations in general (e.g. hemming pants). Any recommendations or comments for tailors in the heights/oak forest/garden oaks areas? Any opinions or experiences with Leo's Fine Tailoring on TC Jester?

• 2 weeks later...

Tell me about Pierson & Co, I'm always looking for good barbecue.

Finally went to Pierson & Company tonight, it was awesome. I think it's the best barbecue I've had in Houston (I rank Texas style barbecue a distant 3rd to Kansas City or Memphis style though, your taste may differ). I got the ribs/brisket/sausage dinner, and it was more than enough. I'll have enough for lunch tomorrow. The sausage was great, had a good kick. Brisket was good, but not the best I've had. Ribs were maybe the best I've had from a restaurant. What I really like is their sauce. I don't particularly like the Texas style runny tomato sauce, and theirs was a little thicker, sweeter, but also with a bit of a kick. Anyway, we'll be going back there whenever we crave barbecue and I don't have time to get the smoker out.

The PeeTroll Station had lousy coffee when they started out as a coffee house, and it felt like the owners were living in the place.

Discovered the Petrol Station recently and think the place is great. Awesome microbrew selection and small but very good men, great burgers. Small indoor seating and more outdoor seating. Still a work in progress but based on some reviews I've read of the place when it first opened, the Petrol Station has evolved a bit and I think for the better. There's usually 1-2 people tending the bar so when the place is busy, it can back up a little bit.

Awesome microbrew selection and small but very good men

Never having made it over to the Petrol Station, I'm envisioning a place where the bar is very low to the ground, and bellied up to it are Herve Villechaize, Meinhardt Raabe, Chuy (from Chelsea Lately), and Verne Troyer. On second thought, none of them probably qualify as "very good".

• 3 months later...

I know these places have closed, but does anyone remember Don Jose Mexican Restaurant from the late 80s and early 90s, and also Pistol Pete's Pizza? Anyone remember what streets those places were on?

Don Jose's is at Antoine and Pinemont. I love this place. Good food, friendly people and a coupon in The Leader.

I personally love Plonk! They are located next to Kroger on 43rd st. They have amazing pizza and muffalettas. Chese plates are great wine seasonal wine. They are alwasy changing things on the menu so if you havent been lately, give it a try!

• 1 year later...

3/1.5/2A Near 290/610/few blocks from new FBI building-Original ranch style brick, recent roof/driveway[09], hardwood floors. Shady yards. NO SMOKING[Has been smoke free home for @ 35 yrs]. SMALL DOG CONSIDERED with pet deposit [sorry, no cats because owners & their family have severe allergy to cats]. Month-to-month rent [no lease] $1250. For sale info available by private message [if interested buyer must provide own financing...no owner finance available or rent-to-own]. Present resident moving end of July. Availabilty depends on any needed repairs. Tenants provide their own renters insurance & utilities. There is a free standing ?antique 70s? stove, but no fridge. Washer/dryer connections in garage. Damage deposit required equal to one months rent. We take pride in our property & house/yard will be in clean/neat condition for new resident. Yard maintenance is negotiable. Please respond by private message. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

FOR SALE IN EAST END LAWNDALE WAYSIDE AREA. Super Location with great potential! Asking "AS IS" $65,000 CASH.  NO OWNER FINANCING or CRATIVE FINANCING.  1 1/2 STORY IN NEED OF REHABING/RESTORATION/UPDATING. THIS IS NOT "GRANDMA'S HOUSE".   BEEN RENTAL. IT'S SIMPLE 1940!!  4 BDRMS 1.5 BATHS. NO GARAGE, BUT ROOM ON BOTH SIDES OF CORNER LOT FOR DRIVEWAYS.  YARD AMPLE ROOM FOR GAR. APT, POOL, GARDEN/ETC.  KITCHEN/BATHS SMALL IN COMPARISON TO HOUSE.   NEED ADVANCE APPT. FOR SHOWING.  PRICE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.   HCAD:  HOUSE 1485 SQ FT/LOT @ 6300 SQ FT

FOR RENT IN OAK FOREST:  3/1.5/2 AVAILABLE SOON.  NEAR 290.  1950 ORIGINAL. $1400/MO.  IT IS NOT FOR SALE

FOR EITHER PROPERTY, PLEASE EMAIL & SPECIFY WHICH PROPERTY:  taxesrents@aol.com

• 6 months later...

Highly desirable & convenient Oak Forest 1950s original CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN 3/1.5/2 has original natural knotty pine paneling/cabinets & woodwork thru out home with original tiles in kitchen & baths. Great location near T.C. Jester/610/290 with 290 HOV & Park & Ride.  Prefer no pets. NO SMOKING!email:  h.house@aol.com  please put house for rent in subject line  AVAILABLE NOW! I lived in OF 50 yrs. Wonderful convenient & affordable subdivision!  Thank you HAIF

Archived