GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Well Bachanon was right. I am underwelmed.

Forever 21 is an "anchor"? I thought it was just a little clothing store.

Hey, don't knock forever XXI, mark my words, the joint will be crawling with good looking women.

AND my wife can spend her time there while i knock'em back with my buddies at whichever happy hour location strikes my fancy that evening.

Good times are coming..

Why is the Pavillions website not updated to reflect this work.

Damn these lazy webmasters.

Yeah, and seriously don't EVEN bother visiting the PR firm's website. It's a Flash nightmare.

But I grabbed a copy of the press release, and I happen to have some OCR software, so here ya go:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Marta Fredricks

February 27, 2007 Christie Peeler

Dancie Perugini Ware

Public Relations

HOUSTON PAVILIONS BREAKS GROUND AND

ANNOUNCES FINAL ANCHOR TENANTS

$170 Million Downtown Urban Landmark to Open October 2008

HOUSTON - The Houston Pavilions, a four city block mixed-use development that will become downtown's premiere entertainment, retail and urban office hub, broke ground on Tuesday morning, February 27th. The $170 million project is scheduled to open in October of 2008.

The project will be comprised of 360,000 sq. ft. of retail space, 200,000 sq. ft. of office space, and a 480,000 sq. ft., 1,525 space parking garage. The development will be bounded by Dallas St. to the north, Polk St. to the south, Main St. to the west and Caroline St. to the east.

The developers, William Denton and Geoffrey Jones, who separately have been responsible for numerous commercial, office and residential projects in Houston and other major cities, revealed the identity of the Pavilions' two latest anchor tenants during the groundbreaking ceremony.

Each of the new anchors is in excess of 24,000 sq. ft. A two-level Books-AMillion Superstore and Forever 21 will join the project's original anchor tenants, the House of Blues

Hey, don't knock forever XXI, mark my words, the joint will be crawling with good looking women.

AND my wife can spend her time there while i knock'em back with my buddies at whichever happy hour location strikes my fancy that evening.

Good times are coming..

you have to go out since she won't sleep with you after the bullet from the driveby last weekend. ;)

HOUSTON - The Houston Pavilions, a four city block mixed-use development that will become downtown's premiere entertainment, retail and urban office hub, broke ground on Tuesday morning, February 27th.

When was a 4th block added, I have seen only rendering for a 3 block development?!?!? :unsure:

Does anyone know how I can just get the URL for the video abc13 has for this story? It's flash, so there's no way to share just the video unless you use their email feature.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5072184

And the Chron just broke out w/ an article. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4585988.html

I'm sure someone has pointed this out, but I'm glad that the rail runs just west of it. That's perfect. Does anyone know how close the nearest stop is?

Southbound is just across Dallas Street. Northbound is two blocks further north, just the other side of McKinney.

The new version is SO short, only ONE tower. :lol:

2csi2l3.jpg

Why do they cheap out and take away the other towers. :angry2::angry2::angry2:

I like the original better, this more like downtown, the new version looks more like midtown!

It is almost like someone said "Hey, I can save 50 million by take a hammer on the model and knocking two of the towers off and no one will notice. . ."

2pzky83.jpg

2m5xhu0.jpg

Main St. Sq. and Bell Stations.

I'm with ToolMan, quit the whining already. So HP isn't the silver bullet, but it can be the catalyst (as it has been called by many). What's stopping ESPN Zone, Niketown, and Virgin from coming into any neighboring areas? Nothing but themselves, IMO. As far as movie theaters go, can someone quickly name the multi-screen movie theaters located in downtown San Francisco, Miami, and Chicago?

There's another empty block east of the Josephine's block that can be filled, and there are FOUR and maybe even SIX empty surface parking lots around Bell Station, including the lot owned by First United Methodist Church that was put up for sale a couple months ago. There's the empty plot where Shamrock would have been, and the empty block on Fannin near the soon-to-be redeveloped Texaco Building. Let's not forget all of the empty lots around MMP and between MMP and GRB (which will grow in value thanks to the Discovery Green). Parking is about to lose its status as the "highest and best" use for many of these properties, and I don't think we'll have to wait all that long.

When HP shows its success, other retailers and companies will definitely make ways to get into downtown.

Requests for stores like these just illustrate Houston's insecurity that so many have. It's as if these chains somehow would make Houston legit.

Instead of wanting something unique we crave chains.

I don't think we want a Niketown or an ESPN Zone for the sake of self-verification, I think it's because they are cool stores and it would be nice to have them downtown.

100th Post ! Now I can get back to work. What building am I now?

Edited by bkjones98

Requests for stores like these just illustrate Houston's insecurity that so many have. It's as if these chains somehow would make Houston legit.

I get what you're saying, but these are also places people want to shop at. Sports fans (fanatic and casual) always want to go to ESPNZone when near one, people love their sneakers especially Nike, and people love their music.

Now I'd get down on people asking for chains if they were really weak like an Abercrombie or something. But it's not like these "chains" are in every city.

Those unique places are there...plus, maybe they're better suited at places that aren't so "commercialized," like the Pavilions.

Agreed, this project is becoming so "normal looking". The point of having residential built into it was to allow for activity after the work day, hence they f'd up big time!

Might as well leave it alone until a true residential/comerical/entertainment mixed use can be built, they should take some notes from the CityCentre developers, and not so many lessons from the HISD Building Development.

Not only that, but it seems there's the incessant need to delicate flower for the sake of bitching. My god...

Here here! (raises glass to make a toast) :rolleyes:

100th Post ! Now I can get back to work. What building am I now?

Such a noob, or is it newb?!?!? :lol:

I get what you're saying, but these are also places people want to shop at. Sports fans (fanatic and casual) always want to go to ESPNZone when near one, people love their sneakers especially Nike, and people love their music.

Now I'd get down on people asking for chains if they were really weak like an Abercrombie or something. But it's not like these "chains" are in every city.

i personally see the espnzone, nike, etc attracting more of a thug element. that is something that needs to be avoided otherwise the project wouldn't be successful long term. i think the restaurant mix is nice one and could be great as long as access is easy.

Hey guys let's just be happy the groundbreaking is actually happening. A month ago we were still worrying about whether or not this thing was going to happen. How much retail space is left for the Pavilions? If there was 360,000 sq. ft. to begin with, how much is left after all the tenants that have been anounced? Who knows there still could be some great places coming that have yet to be announced. I'm sure once this thing is complete, we won't care what's down there, we'll just be happy to have it.

I really thought that this project lost almost all of it's character when the residential portion of the project was cancelled. The reason given was that the huricanes inflated construction costs. lame.

I really am excited about what this project represented or could have represented but am worried that in the end this will be another bayou place or park shops because they did not integrate residential with the project. The user group goes from residents and their guests who would view this as their 'neighborhood' to the initial secondary group of....... visitors of the park, the arena, and the 9-5 downtown workers, etc.. Everything is riding on these houstonians who do not live here. We've all have seen how that turns out. Once these people get bored with the pavilions they will look for entertainment elsewhere because there is no attachment.

I cannot strongly stress that the residential component almost had to be a part of this project to be succesfull. With this good....but not great list of tenants I really am worried.

Sure the park tower will add residents to the area but it will not be the same. The residents are not actually a part of the pavilions. What does it take to get a mixed-use project with residential in downtown houston?