Brennan's Of Houston Restaurant At 3300 Smith St.

i heard the brennans and the mayor are having a joint conference.

Do you know what side of the Brennan family owns Brennans? There's the Commanders Palace Brennans, the Brennans Brennans, and another faction I think....

It will be nice to see them open back up.

EDIT:

:) Happy Birthday Musicman! :)

Shouldn't you be heading out for a liquid birthday lunch??

Edited by crunchtastic
  • Like 1

Do you know what side of the Brennan family owns Brennans? There's the Commanders Palace Brennans, the Brennans Brennans, and another faction I think....

It will be nice to see them open back up.

not sure 13 had a blurb on it this morning and mentioned they will be at the news conference.

:) Happy Birthday Musicman! :)

Shouldn't you be heading out for a liquid birthday lunch??

thank you! nah have to be good during the day however festivities did begin last friday and go thru this saturday culminating with a cantina/bar tour of clinton dr.

full article

Alex Brennan-Martin said he wanted to put to rest the rumor that Brennan’s of Houston would never reopen.

It will, in October, 13 months after a fire resulting from Hurricane Ike gutted the historical Midtown structure, home for 42 years of one of Houston’s most popular dining venues.

Standing under a sign above Brennan’s Smith Street entrance that read “Thank You Houston! See Ya’ll Soon!” Brennan-Martin, accompanied by Houston Mayor Bill White, announced that the restaurant will be restored and is expected to start serving turtle soup and Bananas Foster to loyal customers in October.

Not only will the eatery reopen, providing 125 new jobs for the city, the Brennan’s brand will expand in Houston with two new ventures.

Caf

Edited by musicman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is it just me, or did it seem too convenient that their restaurant caught fire and burned to the ground on the same night as a hurricane. I know I shouldn't doubt the official story, but something still seems odd about this.

Indianola, down on Matagorda Bay, was Texas's second biggest port in the 19th century. Until it was destroyed by a hurricane in 1875. They rebuilt, but another hurricane struck in 1886. During the storm, most of the town burned. So Indianola was abandoned. Read about it here.

During Hurricane Rita, a fire broke out in Galveston. The HFD helped--driving their topheavy trucks over the causeway in heavy wind.

All sorts of bad stuff can happen during a big storm.

If somebody's going to commit arson, they can find a more convenient time than during a hurricane. And I doubt they'd bring along a 4 year old.

It's just you.

Edited by MaggieMay
  • Like 1

Indianola, down on Matagorda Bay, was Texas's second biggest port in the 19th century. Until it was destroyed by a hurricane in 1875. They rebuilt, but another hurricane struck in 1886. During the storm, most of the town burned. So Indianola was abandoned. Read about it here.

During Hurricane Rita, a fire broke out in Galveston. The HFD helped--driving their topheavy trucks over the causeway in heavy wind.

All sorts of bad stuff can happen during a big storm.

If somebody's going to commit arson, they can find a more convenient time than during a hurricane. And I doubt they'd bring along a 4 year old.

It's just you.

I suppose so.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Brennan's Of Houston Restaurant At 3300 Smith St.
  • 6 months later...

I'm late to the (knowledge) but Brennan's Houston was initially The Junior League of Houston's building.

https://www.jlh.org/about/our-history/

1920s

Establishment of a well-baby clinic was adopted as the League’s first project when young League members, many of them mothers, recognized the lack of services available for disadvantaged children. Subsequently, the League has developed relationships with major medical resources.

One thing that stands out is the address change. The original 1920s building was located at 500 Stuart Street.  Brennan's is located at 3300 Smith Street.

Photo of the building back in the 1920s.

ZWRjeF1.jpeg

Edit: The rear.  You can see JL's logo in the metal fencing work.

hnnbK6W.jpeg