This Is The Type Of Development Houston Needs!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to that Home Depot store in Chicago (Lincoln Park I think)--it is the one that some friends of mine go to. It is two levels of retails with two levels (one exposed) of parking on top. They deliver, since many people can't fit the purchases in their car (if they even have a car!).

It is a good example of how even high-density markets can have the convenience of big box stores without leveling entire blocks.

Frankly, I think that except for that dense street that you think Montrose should look like and the Home Depot store, pretty much every other type of building shown here can be (or will be) found in Houston or near Houston.

Concur, nothing is original. They just used recycled plans for everything. Too bad creativity has been lost.

I'm very much thankful Montrose Blvd doesn't look like the scene City Kid put up. It would be a crime to rid Montrose of all those nice trees and shrubbery for the sake of pinning a few buildings closer together.

But that's just one cat's opinion.

And to add on to what KZ was saying, I thought at least two of those pics WAS of Houston.

People still trying to make houston like other cities. How dull. Houston is houston. Why try to make houston like other cities? Besides, some of those developments houston already have. Jeez, people. Let houston be houston, and stop saying "ooooh, i wish houston could have this, or houston should have that. Do y'all wish had this instead?" Remember, you in texas, not florida, nyc, l.a., chicago, etc. Houston is in it's own world of things. That's why people come here to live, cause its different toward the other cities.

The pictures that been posted. You see those type of develoments everywhere you go, nothing different. I'm just saying be happy what you have, cause what houston have, other cities trying to get.

Who determines whether that is better? It is a preference.

I'm also happy with Houston the way it is. It grows and changes. Maybe we'll get more of that kind of development, maybe we'll get more big box development. Houston has always been a place where people are allowed to try out development the way they want without crazy restrictions from a board trying to force an image of the city. The city develops its image from its people and they way they want their city. If the majority of people really wanted this type of development, some developer will realize this and build accordingly. The truth is that regardless of the type, people will still patronize the shops, buy the homes, and rent the apartments. Its a response to market forces. This is how Houston grows and I like it.

If people change and want a particular type of development, you'll see a reaction by developers to change.

On the one hand, I understand what City Kid is saying; there are always little things found other places that could look great where you live. I just think that Montrose doesn't need much tinkering, especially if it means getting rid of one of its coolest attributes: variety of flora.

On the other hand, I didn't move to Houston because I thought it looked like every other "old" or traditionally "urban" city.

While I applaud improvements here and there, I don't want Houston to lose its charm either.

why not want better. Im just suggesting certin things.

Now you can not tell me that you wouldn't like to see more of this in areas like Montrose, and other cool neighborhoods.

294Rockridge-College_Avenue5-Crepevine.jpg

You can go to Highland Park in River Oaks and find retail like this, even better. Plus they building more retail, and restuarants the last time I went there, and that was last month ago.

Good point.

I have lived the past 2 years by Westhiemer and Kirby. The Westhiemer particularly east of Kirby is just like the pics above. Very little parking except for one or two places with most businesses right up to street.

You can go to Highland Park in River Oaks and find retail like this, even better. Plus they building more retail, and restuarants the last time I went there, and that was last month ago.

Are you talking about Highland Park Village with all of the palm trees?

>I never said Houston did not have these types of developments, Im just saying Houston could use more of it.

>Also I am the type of person that always wants Houston to be one of the best cities. If Houston sits back and relaxes for just a little while, another city could be taking its place. I really don't want to see another surpass Houston in Poupulation, Skyscrapers, diversity, or anything else. (Unless it's another city in Texas.)

Among all these photos, this is the one that we do need in Houston, that is, urban-style stores which front the street instead of suburban-style stores which front huge parking lots.

I think this would look really cool on Westhimer near Highland Village on the side going towards downtown.

I think this would look really cool on Westhimer near Highland Village on the side going towards downtown.

Maybe they could build it over the big parking lot outside of Central Market (with its entrance fronting Westheimer) and both of them could share an underground or multi-level parking structure. The design of this home depot looks similar to buildings in Highland Village so they would tie in nicely. And, of course, Central Market could change its format a bit to place it entrance on Westheimer so it fronts the street and faces the Highland Village.

Now this is called wishful thinking :P

I don't know if I would want a giant big box retailer smashed into a little space along Westheimer, inside the loop. Theres no need for it here in Houston. We have ample room yet all we talk about is cramming everything inside the loop. I understand the concern for sprawl - but when you're catering to over 5 million people, in a southern city, and built around the automobile & not mass-transit & pedestrian traffic; then you have use reason when developing.

Cramming the whole universe inside the loop is not the answer.

That was not to say that a Home Depot would be an ideal use of that property but that it would be an ideal design for a large store like Home Depot. We are all sick and tired of suburban-style big box retailers with oversized parking lots. Whether we like it or not, more are going to come and some are already inside the loop. So if that is going to happen, it would help if they could at least use a better design. For instance, our primary complaint about CVS stores is not about its business but its boxy design surrounded by parking space.

Such big box retailers have often been smashed into high-density areas but a few cities such as Vancouver and Seattle were able to convince those retailers to use a design that fit better in an urban ambiance.

Its not that I don't lik suburban, Its that I don't like the look. To me the urban look is more better. And Makes the city look more exciting, instead of the same old look with parking in the front. Since Houstonians like there cars how about puting the parking in the back with a parking garage so that it can atleast have the look. Developments like Highland Village are just fine the way they are, but a more ubran look would be even better. Thats all Im saying.

why not want better. Im just suggesting certin things.

Now you can not tell me that you wouldn't like to see more of this in areas like Montrose, and other cool neighborhoods.

294Rockridge-College_Avenue5-Crepevine.jpg

I'm extremely confused. What about this corner is so impressive? It's certainly a nice restaurant but I can go to almost any city and find that.

I agree with the sentimate that was stated earlier in this thread. People keep trying to make Houston a Northern city all the while not realizing how cool this place is. Of course just like any city you have to know where to go and live.

I came here in the late 90's and have loved every minute of it (except the burbs). I think some natives don't realize that Houston really feels different than any other sunbelt city. I can't put my finger on why but I know of others who have told me the same thing.

This is a great and unique city and we should be proud of a lot of it. I think the problem is that most people on the outside don't really know Houston. I was fortunate enough to find out.

Is that a picture of the Atlanta development in Buckhead that the developer of the Memorial City project put together? The article I read on the subject suggested that the Memorial City project would be a bigger version of the one built in Atlanta.

Yes it is. And the one in Houston will be bigger and better. I wonder why a Houston company would build in Atlanta before Houston?