College Football 2008-09

lockmat

You know, Houston has a crappy ass bowl game. We need a new name and better teams playing. Seriously, Rice and Western Michigan?

If only the Bluebonnet Bowl didn't go under. That bowl game wasn't (or what I've read on it) that bad. Had much better teams.

I went to the Bluebonnet Bowl the first year. I want to say it was West Virginia and Ole Miss ?

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man im upset that #7 Texas Tech is playing Ole Miss who isnt even ranked, yeah they might have beat Florida but come on? Tech deserves a better challenge, i was hoping for LSU

Regardless i already have my Cotton Bowl tickets, im just afraid its goin to be a slaughter. id rather Tech lose in a back and forth game than win with a blowout.

TT

Ole Miss is ranked, and playing really good football right now, I wouldn't take them lightly. Houston Nutt can coach....

Coem on, UTEP has never even come close to winning the Western Division of Conference USA. I will give the Horns credit for playing at UTEP but the Miners will NEVER be confused with a decent program. In fact, the last time UTEP won a bowl game was 1967. And, those "really good years" in 2004 and 2005 saw the Miners lose to teams like UAB, SMU, Toledo, Tulsa, and Memphis.

Additionally, the Longhorns have a multiple year contract with the Rice Owls. UT got LUCKY that Rice finished 9-3. Can anyone on here tell me the last time Rice won 9 games? Florida Atlantic isn't even worth mentioning. Now, Arkansas is usually solid, but the Hogs have never won the SEC title.

Answer, Rice last won 9 games in 1953. This is Rice's second bowl game in 47 years.

In the end, this year's bowl matchups are yawners. Are we supposed to be psyched to watch the Virginia Tech vs. Cincy Orange Bowl? Are we supposed to get excited to see another Ohio State blowout loss in the Fiesta Bowl at the hands of the Longhorns? The BCS system sucks and the conference tie-ins for the down draft bowl games are even worse.

I am really pissed about Ohio State. They played two great teams this year and lost to both (Penn State and USC). They scored on average 4.5 points in those games! One of those was played in Columbus. The beatdown that USC put on them at the beginning of the year was epic. I know why they got the invite over Boise State (12-0) but I would MUCH rather see Boise St take on Texas. Ohio State's boring offense doesn't stand a chance versus the Longhorns.

Florida Atlantic won their conference last year, and at least they are FBS...just sayin...

Tech will not roll over Ole Miss. I know you big 12-ers have a hard time believing it, but all those big 12 teams looked so offensively awesome this year because there is absolutely NO defense in the entire conference. Ole Miss will play a close game, and either team could win.

Speaking of no defense, the Oregon vs Oklahoma St game might see an over/under in triple digits. I look forward to that one.

I think Texas-Ohio State is a good matchup, but I was really hoping Ohio St would get bama in the Sugar bowl so they could get rolled 3 years in a row by an SEC team. Rolled by Texas is good enough I guess.

And who said LSU in the Cotton? Um, no. We don't deserve that bid, we barely deserve any bowl game. We accept our prize of probably losing to GT and look forward to next year.

On the flip side of that... I would have loved to see Texas play Alabama in the Sugar...not only would I have made the trip to NO, but the bowl is right between the two schools, who both travel really well. Would have been a great atmosphere with two storied programs.

Agree that LSU will probably get rolled by GT, who beat GA is their final game...who knows though, maybe a month of practice will help that QB Jefferson...or will the kid from Brenham be back, Lee?

Not to go off tangent on a football thread, but UCLA ain't all that this year. Neither is Texas. Very good, not great. Look to North Carolina for the scary good teams.

Back to football...

I would really only put NC in that "scary good" category...Duke not so much. Time to start a college bball thread...

Edited by cnote

You know, Houston has a crappy ass bowl game. We need a new name and better teams playing. Seriously, Rice and Western Michigan?

If only the Bluebonnet Bowl didn't go under. That bowl game wasn't (or what I've read on it) that bad. Had much better teams.

The Houston Bowl along with at least ten others should be eliminated. Good bowls are good because of their tradition. Tradition will not be built with subpar teams playing in it each year. (Although Rice is pretty decent)

Ole Miss is ranked, and playing really good football right now, I wouldn't take them lightly. Houston Nutt can coach....

Florida Atlantic won their conference last year, and at least they are FBS...just sayin...

Florida Atlantic has been a member of the FBS since 2004. Last year, they lost on average to Okie State, Kentucky, and Florida by a score of 49-14. Sure, they won the Sunbelt, but that's about like winning the Southland. Playing a sunbelt team is about as close as you can get to playing a I-AA team without actually playing one...

It also doesn't look like Texas will have learned the lesson of this year. Here's next year's out of conference schedule for the Horns...

Louisiana-Monroe (finished in 7th place out of 8 teams in the Sunbelt, went just 3-8 vs. FBS teams)

at Wyoming (finished tied for last in the Mt West Conference. Also went 3-8 vs. FBS members)

UCF (finished dead last in the CUSA East. Also only 3-8 vs. the FBS. Shutout by lowly UAB to end the year)

UTEP (finished 4th of 6 in the CUSA West. Went 5-7 vs. the FBS. Gave up 40+ points in half their games, including 77 to Tulsa)

Florida Atlantic has been a member of the FBS since 2004. Last year, they lost on average to Okie State, Kentucky, and Florida by a score of 49-14. Sure, they won the Sunbelt, but that's about like winning the Southland. Playing a sunbelt team is about as close as you can get to playing a I-AA team without actually playing one...

It also doesn't look like Texas will have learned the lesson of this year. Here's next year's out of conference schedule for the Horns...

Louisiana-Monroe (finished in 7th place out of 8 teams in the Sunbelt, went just 3-8 vs. FBS teams)

at Wyoming (finished tied for last in the Mt West Conference. Also went 3-8 vs. FBS members)

UCF (finished dead last in the CUSA East. Also only 3-8 vs. the FBS. Shutout by lowly UAB to end the year)

UTEP (finished 4th of 6 in the CUSA West. Went 5-7 vs. the FBS. Gave up 40+ points in half their games, including 77 to Tulsa)

No doubt Mack and Delo$$ need to change their scheduling philosophy. This won't be the last time that it hurts Texas. From what I understand the OSU and Arkansas meetings were arranged before Mack's arrival.

Next year is pretty sad, but I expect their philosophy to change, of course these games were scheduled 5-7 years ago and we won't see the results of any change in philosophy for another 5-7 years.

It does get better the following season, where we start a home-home with UCLA, and then the following year I think we do the same with Ole Miss.

The Mack Brown approach of feasting on chumps was a good approach for years. Almost like a pre-season schedule to get good practice and team confidence. It only blew up on him when he found the Big 12 South loaded with 4 of the top 8 teams (earlier this season) in the country, and the only losses by those teams were to each other. Even then, I haven't heard much said nationally by voters about Texas' weak non-conf schedule. The debate has centered almost entirely on when they lost, not who they beat. Other than taunting on fan forums, there is not a whole lot of impetus to add strong non-conf opponents.

Agree that LSU will probably get rolled by GT, who beat GA is their final game...who knows though, maybe a month of practice will help that QB Jefferson...or will the kid from Brenham be back, Lee?

Holy crap I hope Lee doesn't play. That guy just doesn't know what to do lots of the time. So many pick-6's it is ridiculous, it's clear that Jefferson is already a better football player and leader than he is. Jefferson will start, but I bet you see Hatch get back in there at random times.

I like the Alabama-Texas sugar bowl idea, we should start a petition and make it happen.

The Mack Brown approach of feasting on chumps was a good approach for years. Almost like a pre-season schedule to get good practice and team confidence. It only blew up on him when he found the Big 12 South loaded with 4 of the top 8 teams (earlier this season) in the country, and the only losses by those teams were to each other. Even then, I haven't heard much said nationally by voters about Texas' weak non-conf schedule. The debate has centered almost entirely on when they lost, not who they beat. Other than taunting on fan forums, there is not a whole lot of impetus to add strong non-conf opponents.

You're right, it likely doesn't cross most voters' minds.

That said, the computers do take it into account and that is where Texas got hurt this year. The team that really got hurt was Texas Tech though. Their schedule featured two FCS teams (formerly I-AA), SMU, and Nevada. That is why they were rated behind UT in the computers despite beating the Horns in November.

Additionally, the SEC was very down this year but Florida was able to add to their computer ranking by playing Florida State (they play every year), Miami (added back to the schedule) and Hawaii (made it to a bowl game). Without those out of conference games, it is likely Florida would have been rated below USC and Penn State.

You're right, it likely doesn't cross most voters' minds.

That said, the computers do take it into account and that is where Texas got hurt this year. The team that really got hurt was Texas Tech though. Their schedule featured two FCS teams (formerly I-AA), SMU, and Nevada. That is why they were rated behind UT in the computers despite beating the Horns in November.

Additionally, the SEC was very down this year but Florida was able to add to their computer ranking by playing Florida State (they play every year), Miami (added back to the schedule) and Hawaii (made it to a bowl game). Without those out of conference games, it is likely Florida would have been rated below USC and Penn State.

I bet it crossed some voters minds, I mean, when you look at the tie and the round robin, I bet some voters weighed the SOS factor. Lord knows the computers did and that sunk the Longhorns. The Margin was so close in some of the computers, things like Mizzou losing to Kansas and Utep losing to UH and others were killer for the Horns.

Texas Tech takes OOC patsies to the extreme. Though I have heard that 4 of 7 computer ranking systems do not penalize teams for playing FCS opponents...

I think the BCS got it right. Anyone else? I don't know how you could argue against the 2 hottest teams in the country being in the title game. Of course you'll always have the horns who think they should be playing Ole Miss :lol: Yep, I said Ole Miss! They're the only team to beat Florida, according to horn logic they should be ranked #1 right now :lol:

that's b/c you're an idiot

Strength of schedule doesn't necessarily tell how good a team is anyway. If this year's Celtics and Lakers played the bottom feeders all year long and only a couple of good teams this year (theoretically of course) and then the playoffs came, sure people might question their record and how good they were, but the fact would remain that they were good regardless. That's when the playoffs shows who actually is good/better, something the bowl system does not allow teams to do.

Just because UT's (or any other team for that matter) strenght of schedule isn't great, that doesn't mean theyre not a good team. I can understand the argument that a softer SOS should keep a team out of a better game than someone with the same record and a stronger SOS, but either way, it doesnt mean the team with a stronger SOS is necessarily better. For example, see the MLB and all the wild card teams who end up going to the World Series (which actuall my end up being more of a hot-streak thing ;)

The Houston Bowl along with at least ten others should be eliminated. Good bowls are good because of their tradition. Tradition will not be built with subpar teams playing in it each year. (Although Rice is pretty decent)

And the game is on NFL Network. Is there some way that the Bluebonnet Bowl can come back? At least the name. Quality of teams hopefully comes later.

:lol: You come out of lurking to post THAT ! No wonder you don't post much. You could have at least spelled out the word because and added the correct puncuation at the end, you lazy turd. <_<:lol:

lurking? i've posted several times in this thread alone. and i'll be sure to run my grammar and syntax by you next time, professor

oops

• 3 weeks later...
Did anyone else just see that hit put on Zac Robinson? Holy cow, I thought the guy killed him....yikes that was scarey for a second.

Yeah. And he got up like it was nada.

Good back and forth game. Though I can believe Oregon pulled it off.... That adds a serious dent in my office pool chances.

You have to stick it out in order to get good teams and build that tradition. The Fiesta bowl is only about 35 years old and it is now one of the BCS bowls.

just think, its the 73rd annual Cotton Bowl and the last at the original cotton bowl stadium.

can anyone tell me why the hell they plan on moving the Cotton Bowl game to the BRAND NEW dallas cowboy stadium? for what? because its new?

doesnt tradition not play a roll at all here?

its upsetting, the cotton bowl stadium is amazing

just think, its the 73rd annual Cotton Bowl and the last at the original cotton bowl stadium.

can anyone tell me why the hell they plan on moving the Cotton Bowl game to the BRAND NEW dallas cowboy stadium? for what? because its new?

doesnt tradition not play a roll at all here?

its upsetting, the cotton bowl stadium is amazing

They are? Didn't know that; such a shame. Will it still be called the Cotton Bowl, since it won't be AT the Cotton Bowl?

MONEY.

You have to stick it out in order to get good teams and build that tradition. The Fiesta bowl is only about 35 years old and it is now one of the BCS bowls.

That is not how the Fiesta Bowl became one of the bigs. In 1986, the Fiesta won a bidding war to host a de facto championship game. After that, they continued to pay out big money and effectively bought their way in. The Cotton Bowl paid less and lost prestige.

That is EXACTLY correct, it's ALL ABOUT THE M-O-N-E-Y. Has been for close to 30 years. The schools get huge payouts for the big games, something like $17.5 million to each team, for top five bowl games. (BCS Championship, Orange, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta).

The Cotton Bowl Game (not the stadium) is trying to get back in that class of game. It'll never happen in the old facility. Jerry Jones has to put butts in seats, as many times as he can. High School Championship games, Cotton Bowl, Superbowl, Pro Bowl, TX vs. OU (2011 and beyond), Ark vs. Texas A&M (Oct. 3, 2009). If there's a game in D/FW that has any potential to sell tickets, Jerry Jones is going to host it, you can bank on it.