College Football 2008-09

lockmat

Wow, the LSU fan in you just came out big time. You must really hate Saban to think a 12-2 Bama team shouldn't be ranked!

Do I think Utah can beat Florida? Sure I do.

Do I think Florida can beat Utah? Certainly.

Did you think Florida would lose in the swamp to Ole Piss? I didn't.

Did you think Utah would lose to... Oh, wait, they didn't lose to anyone.

I think your post proves who the real LSU fan is here, don't be bitter because your girls lost to Ole Miss also.

Utah may have had a chance to beat Florida, it would have been highly unlikely though.

Utah got the ranking they deserved, you have to actually play some ranked teams during the season to be considered a true no.1 or 2 Kink.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much any team that practices defending against the spread option would have a decent chance against Florida. It's to Florida's credit that they play in a conference that obviously has very serious problems doing that. Oklahoma had a shot but Florida's home field advantage was just too much. I think Utah, USC, and even an Oregon w/out its trademark QB problems are all teams that would challenge Florida at least as much as Oklahoma did.

But again, unless a playoff system is round-robin, it will do nothing to answer any of these questions.

Pretty much any team that practices defending against the spread option would have a decent chance against Florida. It's to Florida's credit that they play in a conference that obviously has very serious problems doing that. Oklahoma had a shot but Florida's home field advantage was just too much. I think Utah, USC, and even an Oregon w/out its trademark QB problems are all teams that would challenge Florida at least as much as Oklahoma did.

But again, unless a playoff system is round-robin, it will do nothing to answer any of these questions.

I am all for a playoff system. C'mon BCS, show me somethin' !

I think your post proves who the real LSU fan is here, don't be bitter because your girls lost to Ole Miss also.

Utah may have had a chance to beat Florida, it would have been highly unlikely though.

Utah got the ranking they deserved, you have to actually play some ranked teams during the season to be considered a true no.1 or 2 Kink.

I am not an LSU fan. Just date someone who happens to be an LSU grad.

That said, do you even know the facts this year?

At the end of the season, how many ranked teams did Florida beat?

At the end of the season, how many ranked teams did Utah beat?

At the end of the season, how many top ten wins did Florida have?

At the end of the season, how many top ten wins did Utah have?

As for quality of wins, there is almost NO DIFFERENCE between what Florida and Utah accomplished. The only true difference that can be found is that Florida lost AT HOME to an Ole Miss team that lost games to Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Bama, and South Carolina.

I am not an LSU fan. Just date someone who happens to be an LSU grad.

That said, do you even know the facts this year?

At the end of the season, how many ranked teams did Florida beat?

At the end of the season, how many ranked teams did Utah beat?

At the end of the season, how many top ten wins did Florida have?

At the end of the season, how many top ten wins did Utah have?

As for quality of wins, there is almost NO DIFFERENCE between what Florida and Utah accomplished. The only true difference that can be found is that Florida lost AT HOME to an Ole Miss team that lost games to Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Bama, and South Carolina.

The who-beat-who and lost to who game won't get you far except with common opponents. They both beat bama, so that doesn't help. Just say you think Utah is better if you do, because you're never going to prove a subjective case with incongruent facts.

Actually, I seem to be the only one bringing facts to the table.

Do I think Utah is the best team in the nation? Not necessarily.

However, do I think Utah had the best season in the nation? Absolutely.

Here are the reasons why I'd rank Utah #1...

1) 13-0. The O is a big factor. Going undefeated isn't easy. Ask USC who lost to Oregon State (a team Utah beat). Ask Florida who lost to Ole Miss (a team Vandy beat). Ask Texas who lost to Tech (a team Ole Miss destroyed)...

2) 4. Utah finished the year with 4 top 25 wins. No team in the nation has more except for Oklahoma (5 wins). Of course, OU has two losses.

3) 2. Utah finished the year with 2 top 10 wins. No team in the nation has more except for USC (3 wins). Of course, USC lost to Oregon State while Utah managed to beat the Beavers.

4) Impressive bowl win. No BCS game participant was expected to lose more than Utah. Well, maybe Penn State had longer odds... but Utah went down to SEC Country and punked Bama. They scored three touchdowns on their first 3 possessions and were up 21-0 before the end of the first quarter. They dominated the team that was ranked #1 for about half of the season.

5) 0. Again, I can't emphasize enough how important NOT losing should be to a championship caliber team. Utah never lost. NO OTHER TEAM IN THE NATION CAN MAKE THAT CLAIM.

At the end of the day, #1 should be the team that had the best overall season. Not the team with the most talent (likely USC). Not the team who everyone thinks could + should win every game (Florida).

If the Sugar Bowl game proved one thing to me, it was that Utah could beat any team in the nation. I feel like people are just assuming that because Florida is in the SEC, they'd roll Utah. Well, that is what they assumed would happen against Bama but we all know that Utah destroyed the very same Bama team that took Florida deep into the 4th quarter before the Gators finally pulled away.

Again, the facts are clear. Utah's resume is definitely good enough to be #1. They have the same number of high quality wins as Florida but they have ZERO losses. It seems to me that the cases being made for Florida are the ones that are subjective.

Actually, I seem to be the only one bringing facts to the table.

Do I think Utah is the best team in the nation? Not necessarily.

However, do I think Utah had the best season in the nation? Absolutely.

Here are the reasons why I'd rank Utah #1...

1) 13-0. The O is a big factor. Going undefeated isn't easy. Ask USC who lost to Oregon State (a team Utah beat). Ask Florida who lost to Ole Miss (a team Vandy beat). Ask Texas who lost to Tech (a team Ole Miss destroyed)...

2) 4. Utah finished the year with 4 top 25 wins. No team in the nation has more except for Oklahoma (5 wins). Of course, OU has two losses.

3) 2. Utah finished the year with 2 top 10 wins. No team in the nation has more except for USC (3 wins). Of course, USC lost to Oregon State while Utah managed to beat the Beavers.

4) Impressive bowl win. No BCS game participant was expected to lose more than Utah. Well, maybe Penn State had longer odds... but Utah went down to SEC Country and punked Bama. They scored three touchdowns on their first 3 possessions and were up 21-0 before the end of the first quarter. They dominated the team that was ranked #1 for about half of the season.

5) 0. Again, I can't emphasize enough how important NOT losing should be to a championship caliber team. Utah never lost. NO OTHER TEAM IN THE NATION CAN MAKE THAT CLAIM.

At the end of the day, #1 should be the team that had the best overall season. Not the team with the most talent (likely USC). Not the team who everyone thinks could + should win every game (Florida).

If the Sugar Bowl game proved one thing to me, it was that Utah could beat any team in the nation. I feel like people are just assuming that because Florida is in the SEC, they'd roll Utah. Well, that is what they assumed would happen against Bama but we all know that Utah destroyed the very same Bama team that took Florida deep into the 4th quarter before the Gators finally pulled away.

Again, the facts are clear. Utah's resume is definitely good enough to be #1. They have the same number of high quality wins as Florida but they have ZERO losses. It seems to me that the cases being made for Florida are the ones that are subjective.

It's ALL subjective, I think that's the point. I just don't think Bama's that good - mainly because when we played them we should have beaten them save for a couple mistakes - so I don't equate being able to beat bama with being able to beat Florida. I'm glad you would vote Utah #1, and I'm glad about a quarter of voters did, but I'm also glad more voted Florida #1 because I think that's the right team.

So how about 2009? I have already seen projections of a Florida repeat. It's been a while since that happened, back to Nebraska 94-95. And if Florida does it, it would be 3 out of 4. That would be ridiculous!

The only real fact that remains is that 61 other EXPERTS, with actual Coaching Experience, voted down your precious Utah team. So while I agree that Utah may be good enough to make a possible claim to the No.1 spot themselves. I will have to go with what actual coaches think should be the actual BigDog. Now, when I see the thread on here that you are coaching a top 25 D-1 team, I will take your recommendations under SERIOUS advisement.

I think your real bitterness towards all this is because Fresno State Coach Pat Hill picked the Kansas Jayhawks over your ACC 2nd place BC. Isn't that the real problem you are having with the BCS ?

Google the coach's poll TJones and you'll find plenty of information about who actually votes for most coaches who are usually too busy coaching their teams, recruiting, fundraising, and glad-handling alumni to vote for themselves. That's probably a good thing because most coaches are also too busy on Saturdays during the Fall to watch college football.

Additionally, I hate BC. Not sure where you pulled that one out of, but nice try. Fresno has also been sliding the last few years so Pat Hill isn't all that great of a catch in my mind. He's also a bit rednecky for the folks in Chestnut Hill although that would have been interesting to watch.

Google the coach's poll TJones and you'll find plenty of information about who actually votes for most coaches who are usually too busy coaching their teams, recruiting, fundraising, and glad-handling alumni to vote for themselves. That's probably a good thing because most coaches are also too busy on Saturdays during the Fall to watch college football.

Additionally, I hate BC. Not sure where you pulled that one out of, but nice try. Fresno has also been sliding the last few years so Pat Hill isn't all that great of a catch in my mind. He's also a bit rednecky for the folks in Chestnut Hill although that would have been interesting to watch.

Isn't it a City Ordinance in Boston that if you live there you have to be a BC fan ? :huh::lol:

I know all about the polls and who possibly votes and doesn't actually vote for them as evident in the fact that Spurrier didn't put Duke in at No.25 to start this year off. Mack Brown's right, perhaps the coaches voting should be left out of the equation, but how can you rely on outside sources llike say Jim Rome ? You aren't gonna find people without a biased bone in their bodies so perhaps there shouldn't be a poll of 25 at all, just poll out to 10 or 12. Then those 10 or 12 get to go to the playoffs if they are in after the first week of December.

• 2 months later...
Isn't it a City Ordinance in Boston that if you live there you have to be a BC fan ? :huh::lol:

I know all about the polls and who possibly votes and doesn't actually vote for them as evident in the fact that Spurrier didn't put Duke in at No.25 to start this year off. Mack Brown's right, perhaps the coaches voting should be left out of the equation, but how can you rely on outside sources llike say Jim Rome ? You aren't gonna find people without a biased bone in their bodies so perhaps there shouldn't be a poll of 25 at all, just poll out to 10 or 12. Then those 10 or 12 get to go to the playoffs if they are in after the first week of December.

That's all that's really needed. I'd say do rankings for the top 8 and at the end of the year have those 8 compete in a playoff tournament. That would be ideal. This top 25 nonsense never made much sense to me.

Archived