College Football 2008-09

lockmat

Texas proved their worth in games when there down and that is what a number one team does. This notion that Texas should have rolled a top 10 team is stupid. OSU played for the title for the past two years and played for a BCS game this year. I think the only team to play in more stright BCS games than OSU is USC. If OSU did not think they could win they should have turned down the invitation to play. The Buckeyes showed up to win and Texas did as well and proved why they should be playing in the BCS title game over The Sonners (who lost to UT by 10). Every team does have a bad match up, and for OU it was Texas.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should go without saying, but a "bad matchup" suggests that they should not be ranked No. 1. (Again, this is in response to Mack Brown's vote, not yours.)

Yes, I think if a team that employs five-wide plays against a team that is not used to defending against that, it should be the case that the "bad matchup" would play out in favor of the passing team.

The best part of the Rose Bowl was they played the fight song over and over and over (can't stand Penn State either).

They do that at all their games...any time they get a 1st down, a touchdown, or anything like that they just start blaring away.

Yes, I think if a team that employs five-wide plays against a team that is not used to defending against that, it should be the case that the "bad matchup" would play out in favor of the passing team.

They do that at all their games...any time they get a 1st down, a touchdown, or anything like that they just start blaring away.

They do play against teams that employ the spread, Penn St., Illinois, Northwestern, now Michigan...probably others I can't think of at the moment...

I think I misread the stuff about the "bad matchup." So the bad matchup is UT's defense playing against a team that primarily runs? I think Alabama would be a prime example of such a team...and Utah didn't seem to have a huge problem with them.

Edited by N Judah

Of course motivation plays a huge part in college football. That said, there is a problem if the entire conference was unmotivated in the bowl games because they weren't where they wanted to be. Maybe the Big 12 should renegotiate the bowl contracts to offer some more incentives to the players?

Now, the one thing that is clear is that college football in the Midwest is OVER. The Big 10 goes 1-6. The MAC goes 0-5. A combined 1-11 in bowl games including several absolute blowout losses (Ball State didn't get a single first down in the 2nd half vs. Tulsa and Tulsa will never be accused of being a defensive juggernaut).

Just think, we were one fluke win away (Iowa beating Penn St) from having to watch another Big Ten team lose badly in the BCS title game.

The Big Ten is terrible. It is so bad that it is the ONLY BCS conference to have an overall losing record in bowl games since 2000. Big Ten teams have gone just 24-38 in bowl games and yet it seems every year someone is pimping one of teams for the BCS Title game. ENOUGH.

Of course motivation plays a huge part in college football. That said, there is a problem if the entire conference was unmotivated in the bowl games because they weren't where they wanted to be. Maybe the Big 12 should renegotiate the bowl contracts to offer some more incentives to the players?

I don't think motivation was a problem for the entire conference. Primarily it was an issue with Texas and Tech, both one loss teams playing in a level one notch below where they feel they should have been (the National Champ and a BCS game, respectively). Mizzou threw in the towel on the season after the Texas loss...and they weren't a very good team to begin with. Kansas and Nebraska had no problems, but Oklahoma St. was suprising, especially after jumping to the early lead.

Also, motivation was a problem for Texas, but they did WIN...everyone keeps speaking as if they did not. They beat a highly motivated team playing in a game they probably didn't deserve to be in after being embarrased in two National Champ games (and against USC this year) with nothing to lose. If you don't think Ohio St. was laying everything on the line for their program and their conference, you didn't watch the game.

Not trying to say Texas is the best here, just that it was a tough matchup.

Now, the one thing that is clear is that college football in the Midwest is OVER. The Big 10 goes 1-6. The MAC goes 0-5. A combined 1-11 in bowl games including several absolute blowout losses (Ball State didn't get a single first down in the 2nd half vs. Tulsa and Tulsa will never be accused of being a defensive juggernaut).

Just think, we were one fluke win away (Iowa beating Penn St) from having to watch another Big Ten team lose badly in the BCS title game.

The Big Ten is terrible. It is so bad that it is the ONLY BCS conference to have an overall losing record in bowl games since 2000. Big Ten teams have gone just 24-38 in bowl games and yet it seems every year someone is pimping one of teams for the BCS Title game. ENOUGH.

Agreed...I can't stand that conference. Nothing better than waking up on a Saturday for some college football and only being able to find Indiana at Northwestern and Illinois at Wisconsin on the ESPN networks.

I don't know about you guys, but i really think UT will drop in the final poll. I think this will be the final poll.

1. Florida(Florida beats OU Thursday)

2. USC

3. Oklahoma

4. Utah

5. Texas

OR

1. Oklahoma(OU beats Florida Thursday)

2. USC

3. Florida

4. Utah

5. Texas

I think that's pretty accurate, but I bet UT and Utah will be flip flopped. I don't see the coaches from the big conferences ranking Utah as high as they deserve. Oh, I also have to go with the second ranking. I really feel that OU will take care of business tonight.

I think that's pretty accurate, but I bet UT and Utah will be flip flopped. I don't see the coaches from the big conferences ranking Utah as high as they deserve. Oh, I also have to go with the second ranking. I really feel that OU will take care of business tonight.

I honestly think my head will explode if a two loss Oklahoma team, who Texas beat on a neutral field, is ahead of a 1 loss Texas team in the final rankings...

I also will be pretty upset if Utah is not AT LEAST #2 in any final ranking, they should be number 1 in the AP...

I honestly think my head will explode if a two loss Oklahoma team, who Texas beat on a neutral field, is ahead of a 1 loss Texas team in the final rankings...

I also will be pretty upset if Utah is not AT LEAST #2 in any final ranking, they should be number 1 in the AP...

i agree. the OU/Florida loser should be ranked #5, behind the other 3 big game winners.

I dont see the AP giving #1 to Utah.. but perhaps #2

#1 Ou/Florida

#2 Utah

#3 USC

#4 Texas

#5 Ou/Florida

i think if the game tonight is close, you won't see the losing team drop down that much. i'd say to 3rd. if it was lopsided, then yes.

I agree. When 1 plays 2, someone has to lose. If Florida is favored by 4 and wins by 4, then that means both teams are as good as we thought they were when they were 1-2. It's rankings, and it means nothing past 1 anyway. I like college basketball and baseball where rankings are just something to pass the time, and mean nothing in the end. If only...

Wow. Turnoverapalooza.

Utah is certainly looking like the best team in the nation at this very moment. The way they opened that Sugar Bowl game was about the best football I have ever seen. 3 first quarter possessions = 3 touchdowns against a VERY good Bama D.

Tonight's game is sloppy. Impressed by OU's D so far though although both of Tebow's INTs were just terrible throws.

i agree. the OU/Florida loser should be ranked #5, behind the other 3 big game winners.

I dont see the AP giving #1 to Utah.. but perhaps #2

#1 Ou/Florida

#2 Utah

#3 USC

#4 Texas

#5 Ou/Florida

I would not have automatically put the loser at #5, but given that OU was not spectacular, I think the horns should rank above them, especially since that was the reason OU was ranked above Texas in the first place (because they were playing spectacular ball). So, if Utah can't be #1, they should be #2. Of the rest, USC had by far the best bowl performance, followed by UT. So, I agree with Hwy6's rank.

That game was a snooze fest. I actually played word challenge for most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters instead and I love college football.

I think we need a new bill that says neither Oklahoma nor Ohio State can ever play in the BCS Title Game again. The last couple of years, this game has been a total dud. This year was at least close if not completely boring.

My vote if I had one;

1) Utah

2) Florida

3) USC

4) Texas

5) Alabama

6) Oklahoma

7) TCU

8) Penn State

9) Boise State

10) Texas Tech

I am having a hard time justifying 3 Big South teams in the top 10 after the bowl results are final, but I can't come up with anyone more deserving than those 10 teams.

The coaches didn't like Utah near as much. Then again, 2-4 are separated by 18 total votes, that's basically a tie. Why is bama still ranked? Tech didn't make the top 10.

1. Florida (60) 13-1 1,524

2. USC 12-1 1,393

3. Texas 12-1 1,389

4. Utah (1) 13-0 1,375

5. Oklahoma 12-2 1,333

6. Alabama 12-2 1,157

7. TCU 11-2 1,114

8. Penn State 11-2 1,091

9. Oregon 10-3 1,011

10. Georgia 10-3 904

Edited by 20thStDad

I think the 'Horns loyal will settle for the No.4 spot because it is above OU, and as long as they beat OU, that is all they really care about.

Are you kidding?!? They'll be pissed off about not playing for the national championship for years. We'll be hearing about this for a LONG time. But yes, I think the final rankings are fair based on how the bowl games played out. I think Utah still has the best argument here.

Edited by ProHouston

I think the 'Horns loyal will settle for the No.4 spot because it is above OU, and as long as they beat OU, that is all they really care about.

After number 1 none of it matters, but I am happy that we are finally ahead of OU, where we should have been all along.

I am actually not even sure number 1 matters at this point...I didn't think the BCS could top the two loss national champion, but here were are....

At the end of the year, how many ranked teams did Florida beat?

Four.

At the end of the year, how many ranked teams did Utah beat?

Four.

At the end of the year, how many top ten teams did Florida beat?

Two.

At the end of the year, how many top ten teams did Utah beat?

Two.

At the end of the year, how many losses does Florida have?

One.

At the end of the year, how many losses does Utah have?

Zero.

Utah is #1. I don't care what the coaches tell me since the majority who vote are BCS conference coaches/staff/assistants.

After number 1 none of it matters, but I am happy that we are finally ahead of OU, where we should have been all along.

I am actually not even sure number 1 matters at this point...I didn't think the BCS could top the two loss national champion, but here were are....

Serioiusly...last year? So who deserved it? If your answer is no one, go be a soccer fan where games can be played without a winner. The best team ended up on top and proved it in the final game. Everyone else had a chance to make their case too, but they didn't.

At the end of the year, how many ranked teams did Florida beat?

Four.

At the end of the year, how many ranked teams did Utah beat?

Four.

At the end of the year, how many top ten teams did Florida beat?

Two.

At the end of the year, how many top ten teams did Utah beat?

Two.

At the end of the year, how many losses does Florida have?

One.

At the end of the year, how many losses does Utah have?

Zero.

Utah is #1. I don't care what the coaches tell me since the majority who vote are BCS conference coaches/staff/assistants.

So...you think Utah would beat Florida. Mmmkay. Whatever. They wouldn't beat OU, Texas, USC, or even Penn St. Bama shouldn't even be ranked, they had a lucky magical season. Not losing a game against 13 other teams doesn't mean they are better than other teams they didn't play. We'll never know until the playoff comes...in 2034.

Edited by 20thStDad

So...you think Utah would beat Florida. Mmmkay. Whatever. They wouldn't beat OU, Texas, USC, or even Penn St. Bama shouldn't even be ranked, they had a lucky magical season. Not losing a game against 13 other teams doesn't mean they are better than other teams they didn't play. We'll never know until the playoff comes...in 2034.

The way i see it. When it comes down to one game, any team can be beaten especially when an opponent has several weeks to prepare. I can see Utah losing a series to OU, Texas, USC, and Florida, but for ONE game, they have a great chance of doing it. Again, we will never know until a playoff occurs, thus i can see why Kinkaid came up with that.

Well unless it's a round-robin playoff system, we'll never *really* know.

I do think Utah would have a better chance at beating Florida than most other teams, given that they probably know all of Urban Meyer's plays and have played against similar teams all year.

Edited by N Judah

Serioiusly...last year? So who deserved it? If your answer is no one, go be a soccer fan where games can be played without a winner. The best team ended up on top and proved it in the final game. Everyone else had a chance to make their case too, but they didn't.

Wow, the LSU fan in you just came out big time. You must really hate Saban to think a 12-2 Bama team shouldn't be ranked!

Do I think Utah can beat Florida? Sure I do.

Do I think Florida can beat Utah? Certainly.

Did you think Florida would lose in the swamp to Ole Piss? I didn't.

Did you think Utah would lose to... Oh, wait, they didn't lose to anyone.

The way i see it. When it comes down to one game, any team can be beaten especially when an opponent has several weeks to prepare. I can see Utah losing a series to OU, Texas, USC, and Florida, but for ONE game, they have a great chance of doing it. Again, we will never know until a playoff occurs, thus i can see why Kinkaid came up with that.

I agree totally. They could win one game. East Carolina could win ONE game against any of those teams too. It's all totally subjective until that game happens.

Wow, the LSU fan in you just came out big time. You must really hate Saban to think a 12-2 Bama team shouldn't be ranked!

Do I think Utah can beat Florida? Sure I do.

Do I think Florida can beat Utah? Certainly.

Did you think Florida would lose in the swamp to Ole Piss? I didn't.

Did you think Utah would lose to... Oh, wait, they didn't lose to anyone.

Why would I hate Saban? I like him just fine, he brought us from losing seasons to an upper tier school again. But Bama isn't that good. John Parker Wilson is a garbage QB, and you saw how classy they were when they realized they were going to lose that game, unsportsmanlike penalties all over the place.

All I'm saying is that it's all hypothetical and guessing until they do it on the field. I think those teams I listed have better rosters, coaches, and talent than Utah. Doesn't mean they win every time against a Utah. But saying that because Utah didn't lose a game this year doesn't extrapolate out to them being undefeated until the end of time, it's still a valid question as to whether they actually are better than other teams they didn't even play.

In the end there's one national champion, and unfortunately it's mostly subjective at this point. Just like when Auburn went undefeated - so what, it was clear to everyone that UT and USC were better that year, so they got to play for it. Yeah it would have been nice if they had a +1 or something, but 1) you can only play who you get to play and 2) even if you beat them all, still doesn't mean you're the best team in the country. Sweeping the WAC or MWC is a far easier task than ANY of the BCS conferences, even during the down years some have been having.

I think Utah got their fair shake with 16 first place votes and a solid #2 ranking. They should be damn happy with that. If they go undefeated again next year they might get stuck against Florida or USC, and I won't have to think hard about who to put my money on there.