College Football 2008-09

lockmat

How is UT playing Mediocre? Because they are crushing bad teams? No doubt OU is playing great, but if you want to talk about whether OU or Texas deserves it based on the season (and leave Tech out, as the BCS has) I don't see anyone being able to argue OU deserves it more...it's a little thing called scoreboard on a neutral field...

It really pisses me off that OU is going to jump Texas in the BCS next week when we whipped them, hopefully enough voters will come back from the dark side...

Oh yeah, and Go Rebels...if they take care of business against State they could be in the Cotton Bowl against TTU...

If your logic is that UT should be ahead of OU because they won several weeks ago, then shouldn't Tech still be ahead of UT since they just won 3 weeks ago? I mean, if you lose to Tech, then Tech is embarrassed in OK, that should be clear which of the 3 is the better team. You can't just look at who UT has beaten, admit it that you lost to Tech and that OU whooped up on them.

If you ask 100 people in a poll which team is better right now, OU or UT, I bet OU would get more votes. That's how the human polls work. The computer polls will move based on games over the next 2 weeks. Let's see what happens on the field.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your logic is that UT should be ahead of OU because they won several weeks ago, then shouldn't Tech still be ahead of UT since they just won 3 weeks ago? I mean, if you lose to Tech, then Tech is embarrassed in OK, that should be clear which of the 3 is the better team. You can't just look at who UT has beaten, admit it that you lost to Tech and that OU whooped up on them.

If you ask 100 people in a poll which team is better right now, OU or UT, I bet OU would get more votes. That's how the human polls work. The computer polls will move based on games over the next 2 weeks. Let's see what happens on the field.

We already saw what happened on the field...we rolled OU by 10....I would make no argument if we were talking about whether Tech or UT should play for the MNC becuase we had that game in our hands and we dropped the ball. We lost on the field, but the BCS has made it a discussion of OU or UT, and that answer is just as clear. The main argument for the BCS over a playoff is that it makes every game of the regular season a playoff game, well UT and OU already played that game so the voters should act accordingly. I wonder if Mac can pull some strings to get the RRS played on ESPN classic this week....

I also don't care what 100 people in a poll think. People who don't pay enough attention deciding things is my big problem. I care what the coaches who are supposed to follow this think, and the fact that they get seduced by OU stomping a Tech team playing over their heads that had too much time to think about how great they were and had things snowball pisses me off. OU is just not as great as that victory suggests, and I don't want to see OU embarrass our conference by getting rolled in another BCS game.

We already saw what happened on the field...we rolled OU by 10....I would make no argument if we were talking about whether Tech or UT should play for the MNC becuase we had that game in our hands and we dropped the ball. We lost on the field, but the BCS has made it a discussion of OU or UT, and that answer is just as clear. The main argument for the BCS over a playoff is that it makes every game of the regular season a playoff game, well UT and OU already played that game so the voters should act accordingly. I wonder if Mac can pull some strings to get the RRS played on ESPN classic this week....

I also don't care what 100 people in a poll think. People who don't pay enough attention deciding things is my big problem. I care what the coaches who are supposed to follow this think, and the fact that they get seduced by OU stomping a Tech team playing over their heads that had too much time to think about how great they were and had things snowball pisses me off. OU is just not as great as that victory suggests, and I don't want to see OU embarrass our conference by getting rolled in another BCS game.

Yes, it would be much better if we got to watch UT get rolled instead. In fact, now that you brought it up, I think I DO want to see UT get rolled by Florida. That way we don't have to listen to homers whine about it all summer.

Yes, it would be much better if we got to watch UT get rolled instead. In fact, now that you brought it up, I think I DO want to see UT get rolled by Florida. That way we don't have to listen to homers whine about it all summer.

I'm glad you are on board...I also think UT has a pretty good record in BCS bowls, being the victor in two of the greatest Rose Bowls in recent history. Florida would be a tough test for either school, but they are also very beatable. Florida should lose BCS points for running up the score on Citadel...

I am honestly trying to look at this as objectively as possible and no one can give me a convincing argument as to why OU should play...I mean, all three teams have played and all have one loss, so lets look at those losses...Tech was blown out on the road, Texas lost on the road at the last second, and OU lost on a neutral field by two scores...who has the best loss? They all have the same number of wins over very similar competition. OU played Cincy and TCU, but Texas played Missouri, and Texas played all FBS schools while OU played an FCS school...

UT shouldn't be allowed in a national championship game when the team they lost to got crushed 3 weeks later. Furthermore, a team who doesn't even win their conference championship shouldn't be in the national championship either. Stop whining, you had your chance, your guy dropped the ball.

UT shouldn't be allowed in a national championship game when the team they lost to got crushed 3 weeks later. Furthermore, a team who doesn't even win their conference championship shouldn't be in the national championship either. Stop whining, you had your chance, your guy dropped the ball.

Okay, that's fine....but OU shouldn't play for it when the team that beat them on a neutral field got beat by a team on the road that got crushed 3 weeks later...but seriously, OU shouldn't play for it when the team that beat them on a neutral field has an identical record. This would all be solved if we were in the SEC, because if the top two teams in a 3 way tie are within 3 spots of each other in the BCS, it goes to head to head. People that are puting OU in need to take a step back and realize that what happened to Tech in Norman has NO BEARING on whether OU is better than UT. What happened in Dallas does.

Your statement that we should stop whining because we had our chance is ridiculous. If this were the case Alabama and Utah would be 1-2...Florida, Texas, OU, Tech, USC, and Penn St. would be eliminated from consideration...and then when Florida beats Alabama, we can all watch Utah play Boise St. in the title game...

The computers will like Florida a whole lot more after they play at Florida State (8-3) and a neutral game with Alabama (11-0). If they win both of those, the Gators are in the BCS title game.

The Big 12 is more complicated. If OU beats Oklahoma State in Stillwater, look for the Sooners to overtake the Horns. Sure, the horns beat them head-to-head, but OU will have finished stronger down the stretch and will have a more impressive overall resume with more road wins (5 to 4), more wins against BCS members (9 to 8), and more wins versus the BCS top 25 (4 to 3). In the end, Texas might come to regret an out of conference schedule that featured Florida Atlantic, Rice, UTEP, and Arkansas. They are really hurt by Arkansas' likely last place SEC finish. By comparison, OU will have defeated the likely Big East champ (Cincy) and TCU (rated #14 in the BCS).

The two teams nobody seems to be talking about are Bama and Utah. Bama's D is good enough and Saban is enough of a game day miracle worker for them to beat the Gators in Atlanta. And, Utah finished the season 12-0. They have 3 top 20 BCS wins. Nobody in the country currently has more. Texas, Oklahoma, and Penn State also have 3 such wins but they all have losses too. Florida and Texas Tech each only have 2 such wins. Bama, USC, Ohio State, and Oklahoma State each only have 1 such win.

The Utes are majorly bummed that Michigan ended up sucking so badly this year. If the Wolverines had had a typical 9-3 type of year, we'd likely see the Utes ranked in the BCS top 3 instead of where they currently stand at #6.

My understanding is that the current BCS points are a culmination of the season so far with the strength of schedule already factored in. With that being in mind, the .0084 that Texas has over OU will be gone if OU beats OSU according to the experts even if Texas wins big against A&M. OU just needs to beat OSU who is ranked in BCS whereas A&M is not. Texas needs for OU to lose to OSU in order to secure that lead. It would be nice if there was an explanation of the calculation on how the points are accumulated though.

Here is what confuses me a bit. If OU loses to OSU, TT beats Baylor, UT beats A&M, then TT and UT tie for conference. TT will play for Big 12 conference title against Mizzou since they have the tiebreaker edge over UT. So how far will they leap in the BCS polls assuming they beat Mizzou? They're currently in 7th.

It seems like UT is pretty screwed no matter what. Also, is it a certainty that the BCS will not allow the national title game to be between two Big 12 teams?

Also, is it a certainty that the BCS will not allow the national title game to be between two Big 12 teams?

It is definitely not a certainty. There is no rule against it, and if Bama and Florida both lose their last games, you might be able to bank on it. I can see OU and UT 1-2 in the human polls, which is way enough to keep them 1-2 in the BCS. So pull for Auburn and FSU if you want that. I for one do not want that, a rematch in the title game is dumb. Especially intra-division-conference. It makes it much less of a "national" championship. Like that year everyone wanted Michigan-Ohio State again. So dumb! Then both got rolled in bowl games, I think. Maybe Michigan won, but Ohio State got rolled by Florida. You really don't know if a team is the best of the best until they play someone outside their little circle who is also supposed to be the best.

Your statement that we should stop whining because we had our chance is ridiculous.

Yes. That is ridiculous. Do you people not understand that Texas fans have a divine right to whine? They also have a divine right to take a knee during championship games and still have their touchdowns count. Please, people, this will all go a lot easier if everyone will simply acknowledge the God-given right of Longhorns to whine. After all, They Are Texas.

The computers will like Florida a whole lot more after they play at Florida State (8-3) and a neutral game with Alabama (11-0). If they win both of those, the Gators are in the BCS title game.

The Big 12 is more complicated. If OU beats Oklahoma State in Stillwater, look for the Sooners to overtake the Horns. Sure, the horns beat them head-to-head, but OU will have finished stronger down the stretch and will have a more impressive overall resume with more road wins (5 to 4), more wins against BCS members (9 to 8), and more wins versus the BCS top 25 (4 to 3). In the end, Texas might come to regret an out of conference schedule that featured Florida Atlantic, Rice, UTEP, and Arkansas. They are really hurt by Arkansas' likely last place SEC finish. By comparison, OU will have defeated the likely Big East champ (Cincy) and TCU (rated #14 in the BCS).

The two teams nobody seems to be talking about are Bama and Utah. Bama's D is good enough and Saban is enough of a game day miracle worker for them to beat the Gators in Atlanta. And, Utah finished the season 12-0. They have 3 top 20 BCS wins. Nobody in the country currently has more. Texas, Oklahoma, and Penn State also have 3 such wins but they all have losses too. Florida and Texas Tech each only have 2 such wins. Bama, USC, Ohio State, and Oklahoma State each only have 1 such win.

The Utes are majorly bummed that Michigan ended up sucking so badly this year. If the Wolverines had had a typical 9-3 type of year, we'd likely see the Utes ranked in the BCS top 3 instead of where they currently stand at #6.

Agree about Utah...I do think Alabama is a bit over-rated though. Saban is great, but the offense just does nothing for me. I admit to only having watched three of their games...Miss, GA, and LSU...Now LSU they looked really bad, and maybe that was a fluke...but Ole Miss and GA were very similar games where they built huge leads very early and had to hang on for the victory (Miss moreso than GA). Shouldn't a team that is supposed to dominate in the trenches get stronger as the game goes on rather than fade? What happens when they don't get a fast start against a good team? I think they lose...but I wouldn't put too much money against little Nicky....

I also agree with some of what you said about the OU vs UT schedule issue...but I don't think it is a slam dunk for OU....Arkansas is much better than winless Washington and they should probably have points deducted for playing winless FCS Chattanooga. Then you have Cincy and TCU where we played the north champion Mizzou. UT got hurt last weekend when FL ATL, UTEP, and Ark all lost, but Rice still has a chance to win CUSA...But I agree a road win in Stillwater could be significant to the voters....

Yes. That is ridiculous. Do you people not understand that Texas fans have a divine right to whine? They also have a divine right to take a knee during championship games and still have their touchdowns count. Please, people, this will all go a lot easier if everyone will simply acknowledge the God-given right of Longhorns to whine. After all, They Are Texas.

HAHAHA....The best you can come up with is the Vince Young knee on the pitch? Talk about whining...

Rice has a very small window to win the CUSA title.

First, they'll need to knock off Houston. That game is going to be a shootout. Whoever punts more than twice, loses. Rice will have a small advantage playing at home. The Owls are undefeated at Rice Stadium this year although UH will likely have more fans in attendance. Things working against the Owls are the fact that they haven't beaten a team with a winning record yet and UH seems to be playing very well as of late.

Secondly, they'll need Tulsa to lose because even if Rice beats UH, they'll still have a loss. Tulsa beat Rice in the head-to-head matchup by a score of 63 to 28. Tulsa could lose to Marshall, but that isn't very likely.

Finally, even if both #1 and #2 happen, Rice would still have to beat East Carolina in a championship game. East Carolina

Tickets to the UH-Rice game are $35! That is unreasonable.

Really? $35? That is crazy cheap. Tickets for big games I've been to the past 5 years always go above face value. I know people who were selling LSU-Alabama tickets for $200-$300 each, to bama fans of course. And that's a damn regular season game!

So, in checking out the polls, I now have even less faith than I did before in voters. LSU (my team, not just hating here) got enough votes to land in the top 30!!! What idiot still thinks we should be ranked? And I don't mean the talent argument, it's too late in the season for that to mean anything. We don't deserve to be ranked, plain and simple, and whoever voted for us is either an idiot or just doesn't pay attention to what teams do every week.

Cheaper than a Texans game and the atmosphere is tons better.

I think the atmosphere at Texans games are awesome.

come on OSU beat Oklahoma!!! please!

The Texas fan in me wants OU to win but the pure football fan wants OSU to. It's been an exciting game.

I'm glad Oregon St lost, the PAC 10 didn't deserve the 2 BCS bids it would have gotten if they won. I love to see ND lose like that - 0 first downs and 9 total yard in the first half. Awesome.

Here's where it all gets interesting though - Missouri can completely screw the big 12 by winning the championship game, whoever they play. Because neither of the 2 teams that don't play next week will get to the national championship game, the pollsters won't let it happen, just like they didn't with Michigan a few years back. The SEC has all but guaranteed its spot, and I think if Missouri wins the big 12 the SEC winner will play USC, unless they either lose or barely win, in which case they'll have to choose to vote Penn St #2, which I think they would over the one loss teams that didn't win their conference. I don't believe they would vote Utah #2. And I keep saying "vote", because that's absolutely what it will come down to. You can't look at this week's BCS and say Penn St or USC doesn't have a chance, that is based on human rankings of 5 and 6. If either is voted #2 because that's who the pollsters believe should play in the NC game, they'll move ahead of the other 2 big 12 teams easily.

All speculation of course, but it's fun.

Well I'm glad Oregon won because they were the better team. A Holiday Bowl is not so bad though they really do deserve much better.

Missouri won't win the Big 12 championship game (as much as I would dearly like them to). However, I think Missouri v. Texas Tech would be the most exciting game.

A SEC v. USC game would be pure boredom and I hope that doesn't happen.

I had to laugh at Coach Brown's solution on tonight's OU vs. OSU broadcast. I am surprised the announcers didn't laugh.

Basically Brown said they should use the BCS formula to rank the 3 tied teams and eliminate the lowest rated. That would eliminate Tech. Then he said they should look at the two remaining teams and base the decision on the head-to-head matchup. That would eliminate OU. How convenient.

Instead, how about we use the entire season's results to pick the winner?

OU has 9 wins against BCS teams, UT has 8.

OU has 5 road wins, UT has 4.

OU has 3 wins over teams that finished the year with 10 or more wins, UT has 1.

OU has more wins against BCS top 25 teams.

OU has a win over the Big East champ, UT has a win over Rice.

OU has a win over 10-2 TCU, UT has a win over Arkansas (tied for last in the SEC).

OU's loss came in early October to a top 5 team, UT's loss came late in the year to a team that barely beat Baylor today.

UT's only saving grace is the win over OU. That's a big factor, but the evidence SHOULD put OU in the game. We'll see what happens. UT is powerful...

Archived