Merchants Park: Retail Center At 1303-1421 W. 11th St.

samiamj

Not sure what some of you want?!?!?!?!?!

It went from smelly, crowded and dirty to (assuming the second half will be redone) clean and roomy with expanded selections.

It's the closest to my house so I do most of my shopping there and I am happy it's much improved.

Don't get me wrong. The improved part is cosmetically a LOT better, and I'm happy that the meat and fish counters are now staffed by actual human beings. The cheese section is also improved (the organization is apparently geographical, rather than by type, which is not uncommon), and I like the addition of bulk bins. However, if that's the extent of the improvement, I think it'll be a disappointment.

I'll wait until the rest of the remodel is finished before passing judgment, but I think I'll mostly stay away until then.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't as big an improvement as I would have hoped.

The produce section is prettier, but the selection's about the same. Fish and meat look slightly improved, but not much, and the space dedicated to fresh proteins is pretty modest given the overall square footage of the store.

The seem to have focused most on prepared foods. That's probably where their market research tells them the money is, but it's a disappointment to those of us who cook their own food. That, and it's still staffed by the same idiots as before.

Amen. Here's my summary from my first go around in the place on Sunday. I can't leave Central Market without buying a bunch of stuff I didn't come for. I left here with less than 10 items in my basket:

1. (4/10) Precooked/ Quick Meal Section. While they have those cool little food islands like Central Market, most of the food available is the same crap they had before, just displayed differently. No one wants “K”rab salad made with artificially formed whitefish, mayo, sugar, and julienned carrots. Off to the side, they had several skillet dishes, but they looked to be same old dried ass chicken breasts sitting on dirty rice. I did enjoy the grilled asparagus and the grilled salmon I picked up, while a tad fishy, wasn’t dry.

2. (4/10) Salad/ Soup Bar. Did I miss something or did the old salad bar just get cut in half? I opted for the premixed “spinach salad with sliced eggs and bacon.” The tongs they give you are too small and sharp – they tore up the leaves and ½ of every tiny scoop I retrieved with them got stuck on the ends. Also, when I dug into the platter it was in, it was about 2 inches deep – getting a decent sized dinner salad together in their awkward boxes left the platter looking ravaged – I actually felt guilty. The soups looked good, however.

3. (8/10) Aisles and aisles of whole foods stuff. Okay, so they do now have the aisles and aisles of natural colonics, vitamins, bulk buckwheat, antlion toenails, etc. If I ever date a hippie and need to keep her happy, I won’t have to go to the other side of town to do it. I found the milk alternative section (I’m an almond milk whore) and was excited to see an entire row of my favorite product. I usually have to come in here and buy all the almond milk they have because they only keep 4-5 containers of the stuff. Imagine my dismay when I grabbed 2 of the front 5 displays to realize that they had no back up behind them. That’s right – 5 containers spread across the row, and I bought all 5 of them – now there’s nothing.

4. (8/10) Vegetable section. Love the new organic veggie section if not solely for the fact that the selection has doubled. I hope they plan to do more over there because the center area was just fluff – 8 different displays of lemons, limes, oranges, and apples. Oh, and a ridiculously large display of broccoli.

5. (8/10) Sushi. Sushi area looked good – glad to know it is being made fresh in house every day.

6. (7/10) International foods. Much better than before. I think I can actually make a curry or Thai dish without having to head outside the loop.

7. (4/10) Seafood Counter. This sucks. It was non-existent before, sharing about 5 feet of counter space with the old butcher. Now it’s about 15 feet of the same crap. Kroger needs to learn how to display food to make it appear delicious.

8. (6/10) Butcher. No complaints here, but no kudos either – still no flank steak on display. They must really hate me.

9. (4/10) Deli. Same stuff, different location. Same idiots working the counter. It takes 30 minutes to get sliced meat here.

10. (8/10) Cheeses. Huge selection of cheeses now.

11. (3/10) Employees. Groan. No new employees. Same old people running the same sections. No one is knowledgeable about anything. They had a sacker out by the cheese section pairing a bunch of random cheeses with a crummy white wine. He didn’t know jack about the cheeses other than the 2 lines someone had typed out for him about each of them. He was stumbling over them as he was reading the lines aloud to inquiring customers. All the displays/demos felt gimmicky and superficial. I don’t need a 17 year old waxing pseudo philosophic about the benefits of 1,000 day aged cheese. Perhaps the most irritating illustration was the gal at the Starbuck’s counter who served me my tall “coffee of the day.” As I was off to the side adding my sweetner to it, she inquire entirely too enthusiastically, “How is it? It’s good isn’t it?” as if to suggest that this was the first time I had ever had Starbuck’s coffee or that the coffee was somehow mind blowing because it was from the newly expanded Kroger. I told her flatly: “it’s coffee.”

I hope they get it together. I so wanted a seafood section I feel comfortable buying from – I’m not sure I’m there yet with this place.

Seems like if you guys were given a $100 bill you would complain that it had wrinkles in it. We are talking about what many people used to call the " ghetto Kroger". It's not even done yet, and it's already 10 times better than it was

I see a winning combination here. It appears that certain people are clairvoyant enough to see failure in a store that is only half finished. Seems to me that if we encourage them that this is as good as it will get, they will go to the HEB out west, and leave the new Kroger to those of us who do not demand valet parking and our own personal shopping assistant. Fewer angry shoppers means a more pleasant shopping experience for those who stay.

Therefore, I hereby declare the new Kroger an abject failure, and proclaim the HEB on I-10 to be vastly superior. I encourage all enlightened shoppers to patronize the HEB and boycott this Kroger as a show of displeasure.

I went yesterday and my opinion is that they are making great progress. I kind of also hope all of the negative posters decide they do not like the updated Kroger and stick with Central Market and HEB. Maybe I can get a better parking spot.

Good Evening All,

This is a great Krogers compared to many of the older stores around town.

Was there talk or a sign of a grocery store next to the AIG building . .Whole Foods ?

I am curious is there 1 or 2 grocery stores that fits the majority of peoples wants/needs in Houston ?

I have read some people prefer Whole Foods for the organic and Central Market for the

prepared meals and HEB near 59South and Fiesta cause of low prices ?

Thanks

6. (7/10) International foods. Much better than before. I think I can actually make a curry or Thai dish without having to head outside the loop.

Just a side note...you never had to leave the loop to get ingredients for your Thai dishes. Asia Market at 1010 W Cavalcade has all the authentic stuff you could need (Thai eggplants, Thai basil, pea eggplants, lemongrass, galanga, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, oyster sauce, curry pastes, etc.).

I went to Kroger on 11th last night. I love the new section. I had to cross back over to the old section and that was sad. I will withhold judgment for overall buildout until they have completed teh entire thing. But for now, I am certainly happy with what I see. No matter what they do, it is certainly a great improvement over what has been available.

Seems like if you guys were given a $100 bill you would complain that it had wrinkles in it. We are talking about what many people used to call the " ghetto Kroger". It's not even done yet, and it's already 10 times better than it was

Let's get this out of the way. THE NEW KROGER IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THE OLD KROGER. There.

I guess I feel a little misled since I spoke with the brass that had been loitering around the store in the weeks and months leading up to the opening of the new part on 10/23/09. I was told it would be the largest Kroger in Houston and was intended to be a flagship of sorts.

While I like clean (seems to be the principal basis for praise thus far), that's kind of a minimum requirements type thing, along with: ice cream without freezer burn, meat that is not a composite of old meat that did not sell and new meat, vegetables without mold, and raw whole chickens that do not smell like sulfur when you open them at home 20 minutes later. I've experienced the opposite of all of the foregoing from the Kroger on 11th. I'm excited that a new clean Kroger may lead to the erradication of those issues.

I went by again Monday and decided I would withhold final judgment until the entire store is finished and integrated. I think it is hard to judge the entire experience when you're thinking of the stores as two (2) separate entities, e.g., "the old store" and the new store." I went by the prepared food island again and it had a better selection than I remembered. The sandwiches looked especially good.

i actually did all my grocery shopping at kroger for the 1st time since i had kids. i think that issues like only 2 things of almond milk will end when the store is complete and they know what is going to sell. until then, i'm sure they need to be careful about overstocking stuff that won't move. i love the wide aisles as well. now i can continue on my merry way while people on scooter carts load up with 15 cans of condensed milk (true story).

as far as HEB- i only want one if it nothing at all like the HEB on bunker hill. the store is too big. if i want lawn furniture, i'll go to home depot or C&D. if i want toys i'll go to a toy store. i would like a pantry foods sized HEB with high quality meats, fish and produce- as local as possible. a small but well stocked prepared foods section, deli counter and solid wine and beer department staffed by someone who knows what they are talking about. in short, i want it to be an old school, small town grocery before mega-marts became the grail. if it's like bunker hill or buffalo speedway, i'll stick with kroger on 11th 95% of the time because once development starts on yale, on studewood near arne's and the washington development continues eastward, i will be hard pressed to go south of i10 for anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the "new & improved" produce section of Kroger on Saturday. What sense does it make to have cauliflour in four or five colors but no shallots? They have not had shallots before but I figured they would have corrected that in the new store. No such luck.

I'm with you on thinking the cauliflower variety is over the top, considering its popularity.

The problem I've always had with Kroger is that you can get 95% of the things you need, except they're missing one crucial ingredient (the Kroger on West Gray was always out of red onions!). The upside of our new Kroger is that there are still lots of managers milling around. On Saturday I asked the produce manager if they could stock some kind of Asian eggplant and he said they would.

We were back in on Sunday for a bag of ice. Instead, we walked out with sushi, expensive cat food, organic cereal and ice.

I was in the "new & improved" produce section of Kroger on Saturday. What sense does it make to have cauliflour in four or five colors but no shallots? They have not had shallots before but I figured they would have corrected that in the new store. No such luck.

That does seem silly but this seems like an issue that could be quickly remedied if you talked to the produce manager. I'm sure they're looking for some input during the remodel.

• 5 months later...

Tuesday Morning is sort of like Marshalls and TJ Max in that they sell overstock items and the like at a discount. It can be hit or miss, obviously, but some good finds can be found, especially in the bath and bedding department. I think the name comes from the fact that their weekly shipments of new stuff come in Tuesday mornings.

I think the name comes from the fact that their weekly shipments of new stuff come in Tuesday mornings.

If this is the case then I'm afraid they're at a competitive disadvantage. Big Time.

If this is the case then I'm afraid they're at a competitive disadvantage. Big Time.

My wife is mega excited. She said Tuesday Morning is way better than Marshall's or TJ Maxx because it has the potential of real good deals on nice things as opposed to overstocked cheap junk. I think we got our crystal wine glasses from there.

My wife is mega excited. She said Tuesday Morning is way better than Marshall's or TJ Maxx because it has the potential of real good deals on nice things as opposed to overstocked cheap junk. I think we got our crystal wine glasses from there.

Isn't there already a Tuesday Morning at Richmond and Shepherd/Greenbriar? I guess they're just moving it to a more visible location.

Ha...was thinking Randall's at Shepherd and Westheimer....nevermind :P

yeah, on my blog's FB page someone said they got Vera Wang china there once. I get the impression TM is like overstock.com from back before there was an overstock.com

Hrm ... well, i could totally be making that up. Or it could have been the case way back in nineteen dickety six when they originally opened. The location next to Freebirds on Shepherd/Richmond never seems to have an issue with bare shelves come Sunday/Monday.

Every day.

Really? That seems massively inefficient.

In fact, I think given today's economic climate and considering the cost of transportation, one stock delivery per week and a big storeroom would be the most effective way to run a retail store - especially if the store has a rolling inventory which doesn't matter if the stock for a particular item runs out.

Tuesday Morning stores used to only be open for certain weeks out of the month, and when they opened for that selling time it would always be on a tuesday morning. They would then close for another week and restock etc. GREAT finds there. Glad one is coming so close!

Every day.

Actually, that's not true. Maybe Walmart & Target, but retailers the size of TM will get one shipment per week, maybe 2. Even high volume stores like Pottery Barn (the Highland Village store is in the top 5 in the country) only get trucks once a week.

• 2 months later...

Archived