Merchants Park: Retail Center At 1303-1421 W. 11th St.

samiamj

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I participated this evening in a focus group for grocery stores in the Heights. At the end of the group, we were told it was for HEB with the possible location at Heights just north of the railroad tracks, across the street from the Art Car Museum. If they were to go there, it would be a store similar to the new one on Buffalo Speedway.

I participated this evening in a focus group for grocery stores in the Heights. At the end of the group, we were told it was for HEB with the possible location at Heights just north of the railroad tracks, across the street from the Art Car Museum. If they were to go there, it would be a store similar to the new one on Buffalo Speedway.

WOW. Traffic would obviously be horrific, but.... well, no buts... traffic would be horrific. And with the new Whole Foods around the corner? And the new biggest Kroger in the Northern hemisphere at 11th & Shepherd? Jeez. We'd be in the bermuda triangle of traffic and groceries!smile.gif

I hope this happens...the only thing that could top a new HEB opening near the heights would be for a Trader Joe's to open somewhere in Houston....

I'd get far more use out of a grocery store at that Heights Blvd./Yale location that I would of any of the other commercial developments I've heard proposed for that location. If it's destined to be commercial (and I'm guessing it is), I like the idea of a grocery store there.

WOW. Traffic would obviously be horrific, but.... well, no buts... traffic would be horrific. And with the new Whole Foods around the corner? And the new biggest Kroger in the Northern hemisphere at 11th & Shepherd? Jeez. We'd be in the bermuda triangle of traffic and groceries!smile.gif

What is the proposed location of Whole Foods?

I hope this happens...the only thing that could top a new HEB opening near the heights would be for a Trader Joe's to open somewhere in Houston....

If a Trader Joe's opened in Houston, I would instantly move next door. I don't care what neighborhood. I don't care what part of the city. I don't care how bad my commute would be. Trader Joe's rules!!!!!!

What is the proposed location of Whole Foods?

Right behind the AIG building - Waugh & West Dallas

HEB did a big marketing survey yesterday with zips 77019, 77007, 77008, 77009. I didn't know who it was for, we actually thought it had to do with the rebuild of Kroger on 11th. I stated that HEB was missing an incredible opportunity to gain market share, that if they put a good store in the Heights they would own the Heights market. Again, when I said that, I thought the focus group was being done by Kroger. THey asked what they had to do that would guarantee our using their store in said location, and my answer was "open".

After discussion of different HEBs in the state, she said that it would be closest in design to the Buffalo Speedway store. I gave her thehaif.com website and told her to check out this thread. So, tell Brenda what you want in that store.

So, tell Brenda what you want in that store.

1) Chinese Food. I know that sounds silly especially with such great options in our area like Empire Seafood on Airline, but when I lived in Midland there was a big HEB there on the loop that had one of those fresh-made in house chinese kitchens where you could get a menu that rivaled Pei Wei and was very affordable. I haven't seen anything like it in any other HEB I've been to. It was ridiculously good.

2) Organics. I dont care if these 'studies' say there is no difference between organic food and hormonally injected biosynthetically reproduced plant and animal matter, I feel better eating organic and will pay the extra $ for it.

3) Fresh seafood: Nothing like Dungeness Crab straight from the Pacific Northwest. mmmmm......

4) Wide aisles. Love me some Central Market, but hate trying to navigate those tiny corridors.

5) BEER!: Lots of it. Miller and budweiser don't count.

6) CM: more Central Market. Their hot sandwiches, soups, salad bar, bulk foods, prepared foods.

7) Bike racks: nuff said.

I could go on, but I'm hungry now....

After discussion of different HEBs in the state, she said that it would be closest in design to the Buffalo Speedway store. I gave her thehaif.com website and told her to check out this thread. So, tell Brenda what you want in that store.

The Buffalo Speedway store is confusing. Nothing is where it would make sense for it to be. That HEB is my primary grocery store since it opened but when I go in for a quick four or five items, it can take me an hour to find them, and by the time I do, I've forgotten what the last item even was and miss it entirely.

I'd happily direct-deposit my paycheck to HEB if they had an awesome seafood/meat/poultry department, complete with a real live butcher. Seriously. I hate buying packaged meat/fish, and I find it inconvenient to drive down to CM or WF to get it. Oh and produce too. Canino's is great but they don't have everything.

Boxed foods - eh, I'd still hit Kroger for that, as they have the brands I want and the prices are acceptable (I wouldn't be against buying them at HEB, but right now it's not convenient to).

I agree with you EMME - they would rule the Heights if they planned it right. We're in this little pocket where it's kind of a pain in the butt to get anywhere with really great fresh meats (and by 'pain in the butt' I mean 'driving down Shepherd/Kirby/etc')

And if they had a good wine/beer selection? WooooWheee! I'd be sold. biggrin.gif

Has anyone ever stopped at the HEB in Cypress? 290/Spring-Cypress. I think it's called the Cypress Market. It's like a Central Market/HEB hybrid. Fresh fish, butcher, on-site meals to go, giant huge cheese section that resembles that at the Spec's in midtown. Lots of organic stuff. I call it the "HEB of awesome". Something like that in the Heights would kill.

They probably wouldn't need the extended household product section that they have in the Cypress store, since that would be in competition with Target, I would think.

Oh I would be sooooo happy if they built and HEB in the Heights - and they would own the Heights. (Not sure why they got rid of the store on 14th years back...?) I could consoildate my shopping and end up saving money on gas and time if they had an HEB/Central Market hybrid of some sort, because as of right now I weekly go to the following for food items:Kroger on West Gray(Hate going to the one on 11th-icky even if they do remodel), Randall's on Westhemier at Shepherd, Costco, Central Market and once a month Whole Foods. I guess in the meantime I should just check out the HEB on Buffalo Speedway UNTIL the Heights store is open ;-D

Alternate location suggestions..where Fiesta is on 14th or the Kroger on 20th/Yale...? (Although may not serve 77019.)

Oh, and it would probably be called HEB Heights Market. ANd most everything you guys brought up was brought up at the focus group. Let's hope.

I wonder what the sales stats are for the Buffalo Market?

The Buffalo Speedway store is confusing. Nothing is where it would make sense for it to be. That HEB is my primary grocery store since it opened but when I go in for a quick four or five items, it can take me an hour to find them, and by the time I do, I've forgotten what the last item even was and miss it entirely.

Aren't all HEBs set up in that retarded maze layout? I hate that. Not to mention the prices suck, generally. They don't have good meat sales near as often as Kroger, Randall's, and Foodarama. That's really all that matters.

Aren't all HEBs set up in that retarded maze layout? I hate that. Not to mention the prices suck, generally. They don't have good meat sales near as often as Kroger, Randall's, and Foodarama. That's really all that matters.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one here who doesn't care for HEB. Fiesta is cheaper and is super fast, and Whole Foods is better when you want better quality and organic produce (and Randall's is best for cheaper prepackaged organic products). I just don't get the obsession with HEB, and I've even been to their HQ in San Antonio on several occasions.

I haven't done an item to item comparison on all products, but of the products I do buy most often, HEB comes out considerably cheaper. For instance, box wine costs $11 at HEB, $14 at Kroger and $18 at Randalls. I'm not sure about Fiesta as I don't shop there regularly, but the difference is pretty glaring between the other three.

Archived