Traveling abroad

Vertigo58

Just wondered if anyone can offer any advice on use of a passport. I last used one for a trip to Canada about 5 years ago and last I glanced it is still good for several more years. My questions are :

1. Have you ever been hasseled for any reason whatsoever when in another country? I mean did customs or the ticket agent ever need more ID?

2. Have you ever had to pay $ to re-enter the US?

3. Have you always felt safe when in very touristy areas? I often hear and read of pick pockets, scams and even worse robberies or kidnappings, thats kind of extreme but can't help but wonder.

Any good/bad experiences aside from the passport question?

Finally has anyone ever been to Mexico City? :)

passport_image.gif

Just wondered if anyone can offer any advice on use of a passport. I last used one for a trip to Canada about 5 years ago and last I glanced it is still good for several more years. My questions are :

1. Have you ever been hasseled for any reason whatsoever when in another country? I mean did customs or the ticket agent ever need more ID?

Yes I"ve been taken aside and put in a side room. they didn't need more ID but luckily i had a box of altoids and that seemed to do the trick.

not that i can remember

3. Have you always felt safe when in very touristy areas? I often hear and read of pick pockets, scams and even worse robberies or kidnappings, thats kind of extreme but can't help but wonder.

pick pockets are good. even though you may take precautions, they can still strike and you may not even know it. i had a business trip in italy a few yrs ago and a coworker got his camera stolen as he was waiting for the cab for the return trip home.

Finally has anyone ever been to Mexico City? :)

yep. surprises me you would go there vs some of the oaxaca, cuernavaca, puebla type places.

1. Have you ever been hasseled for any reason whatsoever when in another country? I mean did customs or the ticket agent ever need more ID? I used to travel overseas a lot for work, and have never had a problem in other countries. Right after 9/11, I would have a problem at US Immigration because my name was similar to some Canadian they were intersted in. But after a few times of "not being that guy," they must have updated their system because it was never a problem after that

2. Have you ever had to pay $ to re-enter the US? No, though many countries have departure taxes that you must pay to exit their country. Generally these are included in your airfare, but it depends on the country rules. Mexico has a departure tax, so know in advance whether you paid it in your airfare or whether you have to pay at a separate desk (and whether they require cash or accept credit).

3. Have you always felt safe when in very touristy areas? I often hear and read of pick pockets, scams and even worse robberies or kidnappings, thats kind of extreme but can't help but wonder. Pickpockets abound in touristy areas all over the world...it's just another facet of the economy. I have never had anything stolen, but then again I don't keep anything flashy on me, and generally (hopefully) look like I know what I'm doing. If you walk around with a camera around your neck, in white (American-style) tennis shoes, and a golf shirt, you are going to stand out more than if you have a more "local look."

Any good/bad experiences aside from the passport question? I guess I have been lucky. At this point, I feel like I have been to half the countries in the world, including hellholes like Nigeria, and haven't had a problem. I did have a coworker that was kidnapped/robbed in Bogota about 5 years ago. He had a car service picking him up at the airport. Right after you exist customs there are always a bunch of people who have signs with people's names on them. My coworker went to the first guy who had his name on a sign, thinking it was his driver. Little did he know that the guy simply wrote down a name that he saw another driver with, and then stood at the head of the group of drivers. My coworker was robbed at gunpoint inside the guy's car, which is pretty scary, but thankfully it wasn't any more serious than that. Now we always make sure to see id and that that id matches the limo company's confirmation of our driver. The point of this story is to pay attention. When it comes to taxes, limos, the random guy on the street who seems a little "too nice," then you need to have your guard up a bit.

Finally has anyone ever been to Mexico City? :)Yes, a few times. It is great for a long weekend, but nothing more than that. And be prepared for heavy pollution. I always come back to Houston with a cold, LOL. Oh, and don't use the VW beetle cabs or drink the water. I'm not a timid traveler, but these are things I will not do in MEX unless I have a local with me.

passport_image.gif

Pay to get back into the US?? No. You may have to cough up money in customs fees depending on what your bring back and if they find it. Now, some countries charge you to leave. Can't remember if Mexico does or not.

I have not been to Mexico City, but I assume it could be rather intimidating for an American who does not travel much. Based on your questions about safety, I recommend reading Rough Guide or Lonely Planet travel book series, or their websites. They are very good in their threat assesmment of Latin American destinations, particularly the big cities.

Thanks for all the responses!

I have only been to Cozumel (yrs ago on a cruise) but this is a sort of business/escape visit to the Mexican Embassy with an historical organization. Good thing is it will be a group of us along with another much larger group from Malaga, Spain. Majority of these people have been here several times so I do feel safe.

My bro works for Continental and has had to fly there on behalf of the airline and tells me he always has to pay a re-entry in to US fee of about $40.00. I just thought that was a bit over the top.

Said to hang on to the passport for dear life, if lost or stolen guess I have to live there forever. Ja!

Should be going to Madrid in several months so this will be a good exercise.

Wow, Travel guy those stories of being robbed are terrifyling good Lord!

PS, I am surprised how inexpensive some of the hotels are near the embassy. I hope to check out as many historic Cattedrales as possible! The new Nikon will be my personal pal. :)

My bro works for Continental and has had to fly there on behalf of the airline and tells me he always has to pay a re-entry in to US fee of about $40.00. I just thought that was a bit over the top.

Said to hang on to the passport for dear life, if lost or stolen guess I have to live there forever. Ja!

$40 is pricey for Latin America, but nothing compared the UK, and the rest of Europe. And yes, hang on to your passport. I usually lock mine in the hotel safe and have a copy of ithe front page with me. Plus I have a copy of the front page in my suitcase just in case.

In some countries, you can register with the embassy, which can be valuable if anything happens. I used to do that when I would go to Nigeria, but never did for any other country.

$40 is pricey for Latin America, but nothing compared the UK, and the rest of Europe. And yes, hang on to your passport. I usually lock mine in the hotel safe and have a copy of ithe front page with me. Plus I have a copy of the front page in my suitcase just in case.

That is a damned good idea...make copies of the passport.

I was somewhat amazed at the great price of a mere $105 a night at this specific 5 star hotel. Others nearby were like $40.00 per night. Unreal. I was a bit leery at 1st but others attest to the honesty of their website since they have stayed there.

Responses have made me feel much more at ease, visions of Midnight Express kept popping up in my mind. Ja! :lol:

You should never need anything more than a passport. It is the world's most powerful form of identification. This assumes you're not traveling to a place where you need a visa.

Never had to pay to get back into the United States.

However... I have had to pay a bribe to get OUT of the other country I was in. Once you're back in an American airport, you're pretty much home free.

There are pick pockets in every street in every country. For the most part, use common sense and keep your wallet in your front pocket instead of your back. Also, keep a photo copy of your passport in your hotel's safe.

Some people advise leaving the actual passport in the hotel, but if I'm ever stopped by a cop in another country I want to have my passport.

NEVER let anyone handle your passport other than a uniformed police officer, a uniformed border control agent, or a unformed airline employee who is in the actual act of checking you in. I made the mistake of letting an official-looking airport employee in Thailand handle my passport and it cost me about a US$70 bribe to get it back.

It used to be that you had to turn your passport over to your hotel's front desk for "safe keeping" in Eastern Europe. I've never had to do that, personally. Stay in a nice hotel and you won't have any problems.

I've never been detained at border crossings, but my wife got nailed twice in China. Once for a "closer examination" of her documents and once because she set off the SARS detector (it does a thermal body scan looking for certain parts [organs?] of your body to be too hot). She also got pulled aside for further examination once in Paris and she used to get tagged all the time when she had a job that required her to show up at the airport and buy first class plane tickets with cash to fly in under two hours. Happened about six times at O'Hare. If you're calm and friendly the other people will be, too.

Never been deeper into Mexico than Juarez. But in the last three companies I worked for, every time we sent people past the immediate border zone for work it required at least one bribe to get everyone back home with their gear. It didn't matter what paperwork we had from what consulate, they were forever at the mercy of the border guards.

You can expense bribes as an "airport tax." Hookers, too.

Since you were kind enough to post a picture of your passport, here's pages 8/9 of mine:

scan0637.jpg

Said to hang on to the passport for dear life

Absolutely true. And the reason is that the black market value for an American passport is HUGE. This is because it doesn't matter that your skin tone, hair color, height, language, or education level -- ANYONE can be an American. And thus, ANYONE can use an American passport once the picture and information are scrubbed.

PS, I am surprised how inexpensive some of the hotels are near the embassy. I hope to check out as many historic Cattedrales as possible! The new Nikon will be my personal pal. :)

Get some bits of black electrical tape and use them to cover the Nikon logos on your camera. Also get some miscellaneous pieces of silver duct tape and put them on a corner or two, and wind one around the strap where it connects to the camera. You want your precious and oh-so-expensive (to a poor thief) camera to look like it's old, busted, and not worth much at resale.

Haven't been to the heart of Mexico, but I've done enough exploring in the Third World to know that just holding a camera makes you a magnet for all sorts of undesirables.

In some countries, you can register with the embassy, which can be valuable if anything happens. I used to do that when I would go to Nigeria, but never did for any other country.

The State Department lets you register with the local embassy online now. Or at least, I was able to do it for Turkey. Check www.Travel.gov for more information. Before and during my trip they sent all sorts of very timely e-mails about local riots and bombings and places to avoid because of unrest. I bet most of the other American embassies are similarly equipped. It was nice to be sitting in a mall Starbucks and have my iPhone alert me that a mall Starbucks had been blown up a couple of towns away.

Thanks for all the responses!

I have only been to Cozumel (yrs ago on a cruise) but this is a sort of business/escape visit to the Mexican Embassy with an historical organization. Good thing is it will be a group of us along with another much larger group from Malaga, Spain. Majority of these people have been here several times so I do feel safe.

Should be going to Madrid in several months so this will be a good exercise.

Wow, Travel guy those stories of being robbed are terrifyling good Lord!

Keep photocopies of your passport, health insurance, and a list of US consulate/embassy phone numbers somewhere OTHER than where you're keeping your passport. So passport will be with you (you can be very nerdy but safe with one of those money pouches that slips under your shirt or waistline); photocopies in your baggage in the hotel room, or whatever. That way if your passport is lost/stolen it will be much easier to replace.

Ok, it's official, I am sleeping with my passport under my body (not sleepy head). :o

and yes, I am fully aware of NOT drinking the water no matter what. My bro said he got really ill even drinking a mixed drink (the ice). Geez!

I am thinking of tying a rope around me to my other cohorts or use one of those toddler extension cords (made of steel).

I am open for more good ideas everyone, thank you have a great weekend!

and yes, I am fully aware of NOT drinking the water no matter what. My bro said he got really ill even drinking a mixed drink (the ice).

A lot of Americans look down their noses at Coca Cola, but let me tell you -- when you're traveling in Thirdworldistan, Coke is your best friend.

There may be a dead mule in the water well, but what's in the bottles of Coca Cola will ALWAYS be safe to drink.

And you can get it EVERYWHERE. I recently watched a show where a guy returned to Mogadishu to see what ever happened with that particular hell hole. There is no port. There is no telephone service. There is no television. There are no paved roads. There is no regular air service. There is no police. There is no fire brigade.

There is, however, Coca Cola.

Ok, it's official, I am sleeping with my passport under my body (not sleepy head). :o

and yes, I am fully aware of NOT drinking the water no matter what. My bro said he got really ill even drinking a mixed drink (the ice). Geez!

I am thinking of tying a rope around me to my other cohorts or use one of those toddler extension cords (made of steel).

I am open for more good ideas everyone, thank you have a great weekend!

Pay close attention to even bottled water. I got very ill in India drinking bottled water because they were taking bottles and re-filling them at the tap. I didn't notice that the seal on the bottle was broken when it was given to me.

In any foreign country, be aware of your appearance, because most criminals are looking for an easy mark. Avoid jewelry, electronics and clothing that make you stand out or look like a tourist. If you're going to wear a watch, make sure it is an inexpensive one. Leave any expensive jewelry at home and use a camera that you can put in your pocket. Some simple things can help you avoid a lot of trouble.

Pay close attention to even bottled water. I got very ill in India drinking bottled water because they were taking bottles and re-filling them at the tap. I didn't notice that the seal on the bottle was broken when it was given to me.

In any foreign country, be aware of your appearance, because most criminals are looking for an easy mark. Avoid jewelry, electronics and clothing that make you stand out or look like a tourist. If you're going to wear a watch, make sure it is an inexpensive one. Leave any expensive jewelry at home and use a camera that you can put in your pocket. Some simple things can help you avoid a lot of trouble.

Now that is scary or pathetic that they would actually give you a bottle that was already used. Blah. <_<

I have always managed to blend in with the locals no matter where I am. I will try to avoid mingling with any freaks, well Ok maybe 1 or 2 is the exception but to a minimum.

I have my passport in hand today and will make copies. Just think one day they will insert a passport microchip passport under your wrist/leg/ankle to avoid this? Like Westworld or Bladerunner.

It sounds like I am going to have a Coca-Cola buzz for all that time there. :P

Now that is scary or pathetic that they would actually give you a bottle that was already used. Blah. <_<

I have my passport in hand today and will make copies. Just think one day they will insert a passport microchip passport under your wrist/leg/ankle to avoid this? Like Westworld or Bladerunner.

that happened to a friend of mine in india too. i've received bottles that were already opened, but i got lucky. i think i'm almost immune, i drank the water in mexico city a few times drunkenly but obviously try to avoid it.

like others said, avoid the vw and unmarked cabs. we took cabs late at night but i've heard that's a bad idea too. i really enjoyed my weekend there, i was surprised by the cleanliness and i really didn't think the pollution was that bad, because of my expectations. it was no worse then LA on an average day. your departure tax should be on the ticket. the only country i had to pay one separately was Costa Rica, and once in India (but that was more of a bribe tax).

for your passport, not only are copies good, i would scan it and email it to a trusted relative, and make it from some place you can get to it online in your outbox. never needed it in that capacity but figured just in case... and i put a copy in each pair of pants i'm bringing and don't carry it when i'm wandering. never give an official your passport. my friend made that mistake on night one in Moscow even after i warned him. two of us gave copies then the third pulled out his real passport and it was snatched and in the cops back pocket in one second. we ended up giving a $30 bribe and i threatened to call the embassy on my phone that didn't work, which scared him.

have fun! and check out the pyramids of the sun and moon, worth the bus ride just outside of town.

and for hotels, we actually used priceline and got a 4* marriott i think for $60/night. someone recently got the sheraton for $75/night. PM me if you're interested, i can walk you through bidding if you haven't done it before.

that happened to a friend of mine in india too. i've received bottles that were already opened, but i got lucky. i think i'm almost immune, i drank the water in mexico city a few times drunkenly but obviously try to avoid it.

like others said, avoid the vw and unmarked cabs. we took cabs late at night but i've heard that's a bad idea too. i really enjoyed my weekend there, i was surprised by the cleanliness and i really didn't think the pollution was that bad, because of my expectations. it was no worse then LA on an average day. your departure tax should be on the ticket. the only country i had to pay one separately was Costa Rica, and once in India (but that was more of a bribe tax).

for your passport, not only are copies good, i would scan it and email it to a trusted relative, and make it from some place you can get to it online in your outbox. never needed it in that capacity but figured just in case... and i put a copy in each pair of pants i'm bringing and don't carry it when i'm wandering. never give an official your passport. my friend made that mistake on night one in Moscow even after i warned him. two of us gave copies then the third pulled out his real passport and it was snatched and in the cops back pocket in one second. we ended up giving a $30 bribe and i threatened to call the embassy on my phone that didn't work, which scared him.

have fun! and check out the pyramids of the sun and moon, worth the bus ride just outside of town.

and for hotels, we actually used priceline and got a 4* marriott i think for $60/night. someone recently got the sheraton for $75/night. PM me if you're interested, i can walk you through bidding if you haven't done it before.

Yes, Editor mentioned the bribes etc. Quite bizarre. I may also end up wearing a HazMat suit all the while in this place. lol :lol: and as far as pollution is concerned I figured if I tolerated LA for 10 + yrs I can handle a few days here. Now lets seee.. someone mentioned the frequent earth movement. I know the drill from LA experience too, after the temblor, dont forget to turn off the natural gas!

I am actually quite excited about the whole deal. Just finished making the copies of the passport too.

Now the flight check list, no liquids right?

I've never been given a hassle, or taken to a side room. Just recently passed through Canadian & American customs, again, successfully. Just watch your luggage, at all times, like the recorded message says, in the airports.

I've never been given a hassle, or taken to a side room. Just recently passed through Canadian & American customs, again, successfully. Just watch your luggage, at all times, like the recorded message says, in the airports.

I noticed that Editors examples of passport were stamped all over. I also noticed that mine has no stamp markings? I only used I went to Toronto about 5 yrs ago but I was with a whole bus load of church people. I just remember the bus driver having us all hand over and "visibly" showing the patrol people.

They seemed to only persuse through them all then hand back. No stamping involved?

You think it was because it would have been to time consuming? Kind of gives one a false sense of security right? I could have been Osama B sitting way in the back of the bus. :o

but again no visible stampings.

immigration officials often don't stamp for returning from Mexico or Canada. I've never been stamped driving in, and didn't get stamped flying in from mexico city. even once i flew in from London to STL and didn't get a stamp, though that was not normal.

my passport is in DC right now, it was full and i had to get more pages. those full page visas are killers. i'm just glad its free and pretty easy to get more pages.

I noticed that Editors examples of passport were stamped all over. I also noticed that mine has no stamp markings? I only used I went to Toronto about 5 yrs ago but I was with a whole bus load of church people. I just remember the bus driver having us all hand over and "visibly" showing the patrol people.

They seemed to only persuse through them all then hand back. No stamping involved?

It's kind of random. I'd say I've gotten stamped going into Canada about 50% of the time. I've gotten stamped coming out of Canada 100% of the time.

In the picture I posted the red stamp on the right side that reads "Dorval/396" at the bottom is entry at Montreal's airport.

Coming back to the United States we cleared American immigration in Montreal, which I thought was interesting. Turns out it's not the only place that happens. Back when the Eurostar left from Waterloo International, I cleared French immigration while still in the train station in London.

There are a bunch of countries and borders that don't bother stamping because of the local political situation (meaning very very stable) but often the guards will stamp if you ask. There are a lot of people for whom collecting stamps from different countries in their passports is a (very expensive) hobby.

I've heard that in the Eurozone if you go to a heavily trafficked border there are sometimes still guard shacks there a little bit off the highway where you can get a stamp... say for going from France into Germany. I heard this about a year after the borders were dropped, so I don't know if it's still true.

Maybe one of our EuroHAIFers can shed some light on this.

You think it was because it would have been to time consuming? Kind of gives one a false sense of security right? I could have been Osama B sitting way in the back of the bus. :o

That happened to me when I was in a bus going from Austria into the Czech Republic. There's an irregularity along one of the roads that crosses the border so there's a no-man's-land between AT and CZ. Not surprisingly, it's full of casinos and crappy shops selling things tax-free. I was also told there's no police force that can legally operate in that zone since neither country claims it so all sorts of things happen there.

Anyway, I was deep deep deep in the back of a bus and the border guard just took everyone's passports en masse at the booth and returned them the same way.

This was not the case in other places where I remember immigration officials coming down the aisle of the bus with hand-held scanners and checking everyone's passports (Belgium back when there were European borders).

Coming back to the United States we cleared American immigration in Montreal, which I thought was interesting. Turns out it's not the only place that happens. Back when the Eurostar left from Waterloo International, I cleared French immigration while still in the train station in London.

Same as Vancouver and some places in Europe. I don't know why that is though.

Finally has anyone ever been to Mexico City?

I worked there for a couple of months maybe three years ago, and stayed on for vacation there and Pueblo. It was alright, but I didn't fall in love with the place. The historic areas are interesting, and I liked the Frida Kahlo house. What I didn't like was the pollution and thin air, which took some adjusting to. No problems with crime etc, even on the subway, although of course you should be careful. No problem with the vochos (VW cabs) either, although they warn you not to take them. As skwatra said, do check out the pyramids, and our Lady of Guadalupe.

There are pick pockets in every street in every country. For the most part, use common sense and keep your wallet in your front pocket instead of your back.

Ditto. I was pick-pocketed last year by a typical scam, and at the moment my wallet was in the back pocket.

it's not the coke that's the problem but the ice.

Ice? In a drink? I think no..

I've heard that in the Eurozone if you go to a heavily trafficked border there are sometimes still guard shacks there a little bit off the highway where you can get a stamp... say for going from France into Germany. I heard this about a year after the borders were dropped, so I don't know if it's still true.

I don't know. Usually within Europe, at least at airports, EU citizens show their passports for ID but they wouldn't be stamped. However the passport rules vary somewhat by country under Schengen so there are still controls on many land borders. Foreign passports are usually stamped coming in, but I've noticed not 100% of the time.

Now here is a question I must ask.

If you catch some madre fanculo/figlio de putanna with is hand in your pant pocket do you have every right to knock the living crap out of him/her?

I am very serious.

I know I am not placing anything in a back pocket while here at all.

Now I am wondering about the maids & staff...paranoia big destroya.... :ph34r:

Now here is a question I must ask.

If you catch some madre fanculo/figlio de putanna with is hand in your pant pocket do you have every right to knock the living crap out of him/her?

I am very serious.

I know I am not placing anything in a back pocket while here at all.

Now I am wondering about the maids & staff...paranoia big destroya.... :ph34r:

Make a noise. Make a scene. Make the loudest noise you can. People don't pay much attention to "Help," so shout "Fire!" The last thing criminals want is attention. If you make a noise, they'll run away -- hopefully without your stuff. If you can knock him down, that's fine, but your goal isn't to make a citizen's arrest, it's to hold on to what's yours.

Make a noise. Make a scene. Make the loudest noise you can. People don't pay much attention to "Help," so shout "Fire!" The last thing criminals want is attention. If you make a noise, they'll run away -- hopefully without your stuff. If you can knock him down, that's fine, but your goal isn't to make a citizen's arrest, it's to hold on to what's yours.

I know I am straying a bit but many people think being inside a nice hotel is as safe as you can be.

However,

There are many undesirables ie; thieves, con artists, Grifter's, call girls on the prowl at bars too. Wether alon or with a large group it still draws these freaks. Most of you know what can happen. Never leave that drink unattended even for a second.

I know I am straying a bit but many people think being inside a nice hotel is as safe as you can be.

However,

There are many undesirables ie; thieves, con artists, Grifter's, call girls on the prowl at bars too. Wether alon or with a large group it still draws these freaks. Most of you know what can happen. Never leave that drink unattended even for a second.

In addition to that, if someone you don't know comes for a friendly conversation, casually cover the mouth of your glass with your hand. A friend of mine learned that one the hard way.

In addition to that, if someone you don't know comes for a friendly conversation, casually cover the mouth of your glass with your hand. A friend of mine learned that one the hard way.

You are judged by your appearance and good looks dont help in these situations either. :blush: A hotel lounge/bar/dance floor attracts such a fast moving crowd it is nearly impossible to focus then add alcohol to impair which can let your guard down. It every man for himself it seems!

A beer bottle can help deter any unscrupulous devil from throwing something into that drinky winky.