Ming's restaurant closed

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's things I like and don't like about Big's. If you're big into wine, Big's sells bottles for retail, sometimes cheaper than Spec's, which is pretty tight. But eh, I don't really associate burgers with wine. I do think there is an annoying novelty factor to what they are doing, but its hard to hate a place that was virtually the first in town selling St. Arnold's DR8, beating Taps and Flying Saucer, even.

White Castle opened in 1921 and Krystal (the South's White Castle equivalent - only one in Houston is on 1960) opened in 1932. Given that, I think it's safe to say small burgers have moved well beyond the "fad" stage and are firmly in the "established" phase. Hell, the McDonald's burger (not the QP or anything else fancy, just the plain ol' burger) is practically a slider. I don't understand the animosity towards small burgers here.

Little Big's just opened a location on the lake in Hermann Park, just to the right of the zoo entrance. Same menu, but will also add pork sliders and some breakfast stuff, like migas. Also some park-type stuff planned, cotton candy or something like that.

location won't help the food.

White Castle opened in 1921 and Krystal (the South's White Castle equivalent - only one in Houston is on 1960) opened in 1932. Given that, I think it's safe to say small burgers have moved well beyond the "fad" stage and are firmly in the "established" phase. Hell, the McDonald's burger (not the QP or anything else fancy, just the plain ol' burger) is practically a slider. I don't understand the animosity towards small burgers here.

It's nothing that serious ^_^. I'm just annoyed that they ruined the parking situation for Aladdin. But since they did, it'd be nice if it was something creative instead of another burger joint. It's not like there's a shortage of hamburger places in this city.

It's nothing that serious happy.gif. I'm just annoyed that they ruined the parking situation for Aladdin. But since they did, it'd be nice if it was something creative instead of another burger joint. It's not like there's a shortage of hamburger places in this city.

Thank god for that.

It's nothing that serious happy.gif. I'm just annoyed that they ruined the parking situation for Aladdin. But since they did, it'd be nice if it was something creative instead of another burger joint. It's not like there's a shortage of hamburger places in this city.

...that place isn't going to be around much longer...

...that place isn't going to be around much longer...

Do you know something or is that just a guess?

To be honest, the selection and quality at Aladdin isn't as good when compared to Fadi's, despite the owners being related. But Aladdin is much closer and more convenient for me.

Thank god for that.

Says the obesity epidemic. :rolleyes:

Do you know something or is that just a guess?

To be honest, the selection and quality at Aladdin isn't as good when compared to Fadi's, despite the owners being related. But Aladdin is much closer and more convenient for me.

Says the obesity epidemic. rolleyes.gif

My guess. The food really isn't that great. I give it one more year...

Its subjective of course, some like it and some don't. Numbers-wise, Caswell has said its his more profitable venture, besting Reef.

not a reef fan either. people will pay high prices to eat mediocre food in an atmophere that just isn't conducive to an enjoyable time.

I was pretty disappointed when I had Little Big's and I haven't had the urge to go back.

That said, I think it's a cool place and I hope it remains successful. There aren't any places in Houston like it. The White Russian milk shake is pretty good and unique I must say. Also, a location in Hermann Park is a good thing for that area of the park.

The mushroom ones were the only ones I thought were different and worth heading back for - are they permanently off the menu?

And geez, I forgot I was there way back in January - haven't been back and not really seeing a reason now..

I tried it for a late lunch today (around 2:30-3). It was pretty crowded and it was kind of awkward having to stand in line by the narrow rows of tables and it took an incredibly long time to get our food. I tried one of each, and they were pretty good - the mushroom one was the most interesting (mushroom/polenta cake?), and the french fries were really good (but I like 'em kinda squishy, and I think most people don't).

2j0ijpy.jpg

The mushroom ones were the only ones I thought were different and worth heading back for - are they permanently off the menu?

And geez, I forgot I was there way back in January - haven't been back and not really seeing a reason now..

The Hermann location has mushroom sliders, not beans. Haven't checked the Montrose one lately.

• 4 years later...

Archived