Ming's restaurant closed

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I stopped by Mings (near the corner of Montrose and Westheimer) yesterday for some take-out and there is a sign on their door thanking everyone for their support....

Sorry to see them leave the neighborhood....

WHAT??

Tell me you're kidding. I was going there tonight for dinner.

Great, now I'm too bummed to sleep. :angry2:

I stopped by Mings (near the corner of Montrose and Westheimer) yesterday for some take-out and there is a sign on their door thanking everyone for their support....

Sorry to see them leave the neighborhood....

That makes no sense, everyone, especially the local neighborhood, supported that joint.

Must be a lease issue or the land was too valuable for them to pay taxes on.

Both 888 and Kam's (down Montrose near the 59 underpass) are awesome.

Well,you don't have to sell me on 888, didn't know there was one in the 'Trose. But I guess I'll give Kam's a shot.

Mings was more convenient, though.:(

OK memebag, where's Kam's?
Both 888 and Kam's (down Montrose near the 59 underpass) are awesome.

What he said, sorta. Head south on Montrose from Ming's and Kam's is on your right, just after Nippon. Parking in the rear, or on the other side of Montrose behind the big house that looks like it used to be a funeral home. If you go, check out the pan fried dumplings, the bo luc lac, the ginger beef and the fried rice. Oh, baby, that's making me hungry.

Ming's had the best bubbly wrapper eggrolls. All the other Chinese restaurants I eat at serve those crappy, wafer thin, spring roll type eggrolls.

Does Kam's or 888 have bubbly wrapper eggrolls or those other weak kind?

Ming's closing is truly sad news. :(

Does Kam's or 888 have bubbly wrapper eggrolls or those other weak kind?

Bubble wrap egg rolls? I think you're talking about American-style egg rolls. I dunno, I never get egg rolls at Kam's. Try the pan fried pork dumplings.

Somebody told me that they were moving Downtown or to Midtown. I was going to pick something up there yesterday but ended up going to Niko Niko's. I'm going to check out Kam's.

Does anyone remember when Ming's location used to be a hotdog place (Frank's or something)? We could use one of those again.

Who has tried Aladdin, right by the old Ming's?

Does anyone remember when Ming's location used to be a hotdog place (Frank's or something)? We could use one of those again.

Aladdin, right by the old Ming's?

Big Franks. Yum! I remember going there a lot back in the 80s (nothing like giant hotdogs on the corner of Westheimer and Montrose). I was not impressed with Aladdin. Expensive I thought for your basic schwarma and sides. I think Fendee down the street on Westheimer is a little better. But then I'm pretty much a Niko Nikos loyalist. For the really good stuff, I head to Beautiful Southwest Houston for Lebanese (Cafe Lili).

Who has tried Aladdin, right by the old Ming's?

i wasn't too impressed with aladdin, its authentic but pretty basic. nothing special. i love niko niko's too, but wouldn't compare the two as its a completely different style (americanized greek vs Mediterranean).

i went to kam's once, didn't really like it. i'll have to go try something else. its been several years.

someone mentioned 888, i've to the one on 45, is there one off Montrose?

I went to Montrose Chinese (just north of Niko Nikos) which was pretty authentic Cantonese. i think they'll be my delivery place for now on.

Well, I went by mings yesterday and actually read the sign. It mentioned "Austin Location" but it gave no details.

now I AM wondering if they opened up a new location and possibly closed this one over tax or lease disputes.

Right across the street from old Ming's is BB's Restaurant. I tried them out for the first time last week, and really enjoyed their po-boys.

I've been hearing about them for quite some time now on the UH message boards. It's owned by Brooks Bassler, who played basketball and was also a high jumper at UH. Also comes from a very prodigious UH athletic family (dad and brother played football for UH, sister was a decathlete for UH.)

Anyways, I really enjoyed their po-boys (tried the oyster and the roast beef), and I've heard good things about their gumbo. I was very disappointed in the bread pudding; it was one of the worst I've ever had. It was also fairly pricy...in the same range as eating at Niko Niko's, which is not exactly a cheap dining experience.

Another plus for night owls, they're open late...till 4 am on the weekends, I believe until 2 am on Thursday night. They do serve beer and daiquiris.

Right across the street from old Ming's is BB's Restaurant. I tried them out for the first time last week, and really enjoyed their po-boys.

Thumbs up for BBs. I had a shrimp po-boy that was very good. As good as some I've had from family.

I understood from the guy there that they do buy seasonal oysters, so once the fat ones come back in season, I'll have to try one. I hope they do well. Parking is a delicate flower at lunch though, word's got out.

Thumbs up for BBs. I had a shrimp po-boy that was very good. As good as some I've had from family.

I understood from the guy there that they do buy seasonal oysters, so once the fat ones come back in season, I'll have to try one. I hope they do well. Parking is a delicate flower at lunch though, word's got out.

The roast beef po-boy was amazing. I might have to get one tonight!

It sucks that Ming's is gone. The corner of Westheimer is really starting to become empty. Not that I ever went to Blockbuster, but now there's a huge vacant Blockbuster and a vacant MIng's on the same corner (almost). Vacant buildings suck. :(

I'll have to try Kam's one day too, but it seems to be more expensive than Ming's. When I walk by it always seems to be filled with older people (not necessarily a bad thing but the demographic really seems different than Ming's).

I'll have to try Kam's one day too, but it seems to be more expensive than Ming's. When I walk by it always seems to be filled with older people (not necessarily a bad thing but the demographic really seems different than Ming's).

Yeah, if you're young you should stay out of Kam's. We don't need your type eating our bo luc lac. And stay out of my yard.

i went however whatever i ordered was mediocre

Growing up in cajun country gives ya some idea about where I'm coming from.

My buddy did the design & CD's for this place, owner went cheap, overall pretty dissatisfied w/ the architectural result of the remodel.

I miss alfredo's tbh

edit:

fyi

the chef from Kams recently moved on to open "369" at westheimer&montrose

Big Franks. Yum! I remember going there a lot back in the 80s (nothing like giant hotdogs on the corner of Westheimer and Montrose). I was not impressed with Aladdin. Expensive I thought for your basic schwarma and sides. I think Fendee down the street on Westheimer is a little better. But then I'm pretty much a Niko Nikos loyalist. For the really good stuff, I head to Beautiful Southwest Houston for Lebanese (Cafe Lili).

Was this hotdog place a drive-in? The reason I'm asking is that I noticed that there was a window on the west side (facing the Montrose street) of the building that looked as if it was used as a drive-in window at one point.

WHAT? Ming's was always so busy! They didn't have the best Chinese food, but it was always reliably good and fast. And those egg rolls were the best in Houston.

Do they still have the Three Dragons place out in Westchase on Wilcrest at Briar Forest? It's been years since I've been out there, but back in the days when I lived in Westchase it was a regular stop on the way home from work for take-out. Three Dragons had the same menu as Ming's, and the food was almost as good.

I agree that Kam's is great, and I've heard great things about 3-6-9, which I haven't tried yet. However, Ming's and Kam's were really very different concepts. Ming's was the place to go for take-out or a fast meal; Kam's was always the place to go for a nicer dining experience, with waiters, and candles and white tablecloths.

Now I wish I had made one last stop at Ming's before I moved. It's probably been about a year since I've eaten there.

Archived