waving hi to Dubya

crunchtastic

.....and damn if I didn't almost get stuck in his motorcade back down 45 as he was leaving. As luck would have it, I left the office at 4, went to Specs, and went home on surface streets with the helicopters flying overhead.

He loves you guys, he really does. He gave me the metal horns on the last wave.

My wife complained that Allen Parkay, Memorial, and Shepherd were all closed when she was trying to get to Rice Village from Timbergrove. I think the security folks are going way overboard on how many roads they close when the Prez is in otwn. He should have to deal with the same traffic issues we do, not get a free ride all around town without any waiting.

My wife complained that Allen Parkay, Memorial, and Shepherd were all closed when she was trying to get to Rice Village from Timbergrove. I think the security folks are going way overboard on how many roads they close when the Prez is in otwn. He should have to deal with the same traffic issues we do, not get a free ride all around town without any waiting.

Yeah, because having the president of the United States sitting in traffic is a great idea. No assassin would ever take advantage of that. Duh.

A more debatable issue might be the amount of taxpayer dollars involved in mobilizing the hundreds of people required to move the president from the White House to Marine 1, who then transport him to Air Force 1, who then fly him to Ellington Field, burning $5.00 per gallon jet fuel on his 747. At this point, the overtime kicks into high gear, as hundreds of Secret Service agents, sherrif's deputies and HPD officers set up along the 30 mile route up I-45 and down Memorial to River Oaks. Another phalanx of officers swarms River Oaks in and around the resident who will host the president. 45 minutes later, it all reverses to ferry the prez back to his bed that night.

All of this manpower, fuel and money was spent in a span of two and a half hours. For what? So that the prez could ask a few dozen well heeled Houstonians to throw some money at a virtually unknown candidate for Congress. Why? Because the current occupant of the seat, Nick Lampson, is a Democrat.

I wonder how many welfare moms could have fed their kids for a month on THAT budget.

i heard bill white was grateful cause HPD hasn't had that many cops out on the streets in a long while. :lol:

Admittedly, I felt extremely safe driving on Shepherd and Memorial yesterday afternoon.

BTW, after several minutes of searching, I have FINALLY located the name of the GOP candidate running against Nick Lampson. His name is Pete Olsen.

Please contain your excitement.

Edited by RedScare

BTW, after several minutes of searching, I have FINALLY located the name of the GOP candidate running against Nick Lampson. His name is Pete Olsen.

Please contain your excitement.

you need to start tuning in to michael berry so you can keep up with current events.

I wonder how many welfare moms could have fed their kids for a month on THAT budget.

How about they just quit having babies, from fathers they can't narrow down to a top five candidates (or simply just don't know), that by the way, they can't afford to feed, so I have to pay for it! ;)

How about they just quit having babies, from fathers they can't narrow down to a top five candidates (or simply just don't know), that by the way, they can't afford to feed, so I have to pay for it! ;)

That would certainly free up the cash to fund Mr. Bush's campaigning for candidates that only Michael Berry knows, wouldn't it, Mark? Maybe the prez could make it a national security issue. You know, hey, poor people need to quit having babies, so that I have enough money to fly to Houston for campaign activities against Democrats linked to bin laden.

Good to see you got your priorities straight there, big guy. You're also 10 years behind the times. Try googling what has happened to welfare rolls since 1998. I know conservatives like to live in the past, but this is good stuff. Might even bring a smile to your face. :)

Personally, I don't think ANY sitting politician should be able to use tax payer dollars to help fundraise for a particular party or candidate.

If Bush wants to come to town to help raise money to beat Lampson (D), then the RNC should pay for it.

It's part of the problem with a 2-party system. Neither the Dems nor the Repubs will want to change the current rules. There is too much money being made in politics. It's all dirty and I am beginning to wonder if the people who have just tuned it all out are not the smarter ones...

A more debatable issue might be the amount of taxpayer dollars involved in mobilizing the hundreds of people required to move the president from the White House to Marine 1, who then transport him to Air Force 1, who then fly him to Ellington Field, burning $5.00 per gallon jet fuel on his 747. At this point, the overtime kicks into high gear, as hundreds of Secret Service agents, sherrif's deputies and HPD officers set up along the 30 mile route up I-45 and down Memorial to River Oaks. Another phalanx of officers swarms River Oaks in and around the resident who will host the president. 45 minutes later, it all reverses to ferry the prez back to his bed that night.

All of this manpower, fuel and money was spent in a span of two and a half hours. For what? So that the prez could ask a few dozen well heeled Houstonians to throw some money at a virtually unknown candidate for Congress. Why? Because the current occupant of the seat, Nick Lampson, is a Democrat.

First, this has been going on since it cost 25 cents to mobilize the Presidental buggy.

Second, welfare Mom's need to close their borders and get a job.

Personally, I don't think ANY sitting politician should be able to use tax payer dollars to help fundraise for a particular party or candidate.

No kidding.

You'd think Dubya had invented this type of jaunt to here some folks on here tell it.

I agree. Your wife's time is much more important than the leader of the free world's saftey.

Give her a smooch for me.

No kidding.

You'd think Dubya had invented this type of jaunt to here some folks on here tell it.

You didn't hear that from me. I agree with Kinkaid.

Oh, and I think that "leader of the free world" thing is tired and overused, and in Bush's case, no longer even true, just like the welfare mom smack. Coog, are really only in your 30s? You sound like a grumpy old man.

You didn't hear that from me. I agree with Kinkaid.

Oh, and I think that "leader of the free world" thing is tired and overused, and in Bush's case, no longer even true, just like the welfare mom smack. Coog, are really only in your 30s? You sound like a grumpy old man.

I think I was 22 when I got stuck in the G8 traffic on Dixie Farm Road and I-45.

That was 1990. All the leaders of the free world closed that baby down.

Anyone remember that? I bet somebody's wife was fuming becuase it delayed her shopping trip.

My apologies for assuming you would have been more charitable towards a Democrat President. B)

Not even. Incumbents already enjoy huge advantages as a perk of their position of power. To then give them taxpayer funded campaign jaunts is over the top. This was not nearly such a big deal back in the days when politicians did not campaign 24/7, and security was not so great. But, in the last 30 years...especialy the last two presidents...it has gotten out of hand.

Any chance that it gets reined in? Nope.

I agree. Your wife's time is much more important than the leader of the free world's saftey.

Give her a smooch for me.

I would, but I'm out of town. The bad thing about closing Shepherd, (and she sad they closed Yale or Studemont as well), is that there's not many ways to get from Timbergrove to the other side of Buffalo Bayou. It wouldn't have been as bad if there had been some sort of announcement that certain streets would be closed. That at least would help people plan thier trips.

I will say that the Prez's motorcade offends me much less than the motorcade I saw a couple of years ago taking the UT football team to Reliant to play Rice. 6 HPD cars, 2 Austin PD cars, an ambulance, and two buses. All bopping down 288 at 80 mph. It's a freaking game, people.

I would, but I'm out of town. The bad thing about closing Shepherd, (and she sad they closed Yale or Studemont as well), is that there's not many ways to get from Timbergrove to the other side of Buffalo Bayou. It wouldn't have been as bad if there had been some sort of announcement that certain streets would be closed. That at least would help people plan thier trips.

I will say that the Prez's motorcade offends me much less than the motorcade I saw a couple of years ago taking the UT football team to Reliant to play Rice. 6 HPD cars, 2 Austin PD cars, an ambulance, and two buses. All bopping down 288 at 80 mph. It's a freaking game, people.

Now I agree on the UT bandwagon! Ugh.

Yea, okay we could all be the same, everybody get paid the same so nobody is poor and hungry, how about next time you order a pizza or go to a game , instead donate it to charity!

From my vantage point on the 9th floor overlooking the Waugh bridge at the bayou, I just watched the presidential motorcade travelling west on Memorial.

I waved, and Bush waved back-- said to tell you guys 'hey'.

Didn't know he was in town. What was the occasion?

Not even. Incumbents already enjoy huge advantages as a perk of their position of power. To then give them taxpayer funded campaign jaunts is over the top. This was not nearly such a big deal back in the days when politicians did not campaign 24/7, and security was not so great. But, in the last 30 years...especialy the last two presidents...it has gotten out of hand.

Any chance that it gets reined in? Nope.

The Clintons were here a couple of months ago. It wasn't that bad because I drove right by them.