Trailer Park At 6235 Griggs Rd.

This may have been brought up in a another topic. If so, moderators please move...

On Telephone Road near Griggs there's a mobile home park that is one of the worst eyesores of the East End. The trailer homes are ancient and in deplorable condition. Many are surrounded by scrap metal and plywood wood fences and sheds. Junk vehicles crowd the dirt driveway. Several days a week there's a "yard sale" in front with piles of used clothing everywhere. Adjacent to the area is a lot that's never mowed - weeds are 6 feet high.

This place looks like something from a Third World country! Who owns this dump? Surely there are some code violations here. Or, since this is Houston, maybe not.

This may have been brought up in a another topic. If so, moderators please move...

On Telephone Road near Griggs there's a mobile home park that is one of the worst eyesores of the East End. The trailer homes are ancient and in deplorable condition. Many are surrounded by scrap metal and plywood wood fences and sheds. Junk vehicles crowd the dirt driveway. Several days a week there's a "yard sale" in front with piles of used clothing everywhere. Adjacent to the area is a lot that's never mowed - weeds are 6 feet high.

This place looks like something from a Third World country! Who owns this dump? Surely there are some code violations here. Or, since this is Houston, maybe not.

Map link?

That's the one. They do have their little yard sales every weekend, but then so do the people in my hood.

This is pretty wooded and set back; you see very little of the trailers from the street.

I agree, up until a few years ago, I didn't know there were trailers there.

I miss garage sales.:(

They're limited to two yard sales per year. If you don't like it, call HPD and report them a few times.

They do have their little yard sales every weekend, but then so do the people in my hood.

LOL. last weekend i was pissed at this one house who has a garage sale almost every weekend. i called the police. nothing. asked for a supervisor, then they sent not one, two but THREE cop cars out to stop it. an univision reporter who lives a few houses down called my cell when she saw me with all the cops. said i looked irritated. LOL

They're limited to two yard sales per year. If you don't like it, call HPD and report them a few times.

does nada. when i called saturday the dispatcher asked "what are we supposed to do about it?"

This 3rd world dive, is directly across the street from the OLD Brookline Elementary school (still there).

Area has been a most unpleasant and pathetic scene for decades. It was in the news about 2 years ago for a serious fire that killed some of the tenants because of (ironically) the mounds of filth & garbage they stored (like pack rats). The Six/Eleven store? across the at the corner is where the clerk was gunned down about 3 yrs ago (was in news).

Prostitution is the order of the day and in broad daylight. So not only do you get a carwash across the street you get extra perks to put it plainly, on the way out. The males and females are very brazen about it, so open about it they set up lawn chairs for the next Juan (or John) that comes along (dont go there).

It would be so cool to have some Haifer's do a sting operation take a camera, microphone interview these charming working people. Serious!

In fact most of the prostitution old Telephone Road has been known for for decades is quite hot from about old Josephine Hotel (by Seller's Grocery area) to here and well beyond towards Hobby Airport. Thats quite a lot for the world's oldest profession. Is that too much info? Sorry its reality.

"Crater Houston" section here's another dive coming up!

Yes, that's it. Looks quite nice in an aerial view, doesn't it?

About yard sales, garage sales, tag sales, etc.:

There was a discussion about the all-too-frequent ones and the obvious lack of code enforcement at a recent Eastwood Civic Club meeting. Someone suggested that taking photos with the date stamp on them would provide evidence for the police, constable, city council member, or whomever one contacts to investigate. Of course, nobody brought up the possibility of retaliation directed at the person with the camera!

I love going to yard/garage/tag sales and finding neat things for little cash. The weekly ones around here have mainly cheap used clothing and plastic toys - not quality stuff.

This 3rd world dive, is directly across the street from the OLD Brookline Elementary school (still there).

Area has been a most unpleasant and pathetic scene for decades. It was in the news about 2 years ago for a serious fire that killed some of the tenants because of (ironically) the mounds of filth & garbage they stored (like pack rats). The Six/Eleven store? across the at the corner is where the clerk was gunned down about 3 yrs ago (was in news).

Prostitution is the order of the day and in broad daylight. So not only do you get a carwash across the street you get extra perks to put it plainly, on the way out. The males and females are very brazen about it, so open about it they set up lawn chairs for the next Juan (or John) that comes along (dont go there).

It would be so cool to have some Haifer's do a sting operation take a camera, microphone interview these charming working people. Serious!

In fact most of the prostitution old Telephone Road has been known for for decades is quite hot from about old Josephine Hotel (by Seller's Grocery area) to here and well beyond towards Hobby Airport. Thats quite a lot for the world's oldest profession. Is that too much info? Sorry its reality.

"Crater Houston" section here's another dive coming up!

While I was waiting in line for the light at the Griggs intersection, one of the "girls" from the convenience store ran over to the truck in front of me, gave the driver some cash and quickly received something small which she shoved in her pocket. Hope it was good quality...

Yep, even at 7:30 in the am when I am going with family to Tel-Wink we have to stop at that very spot to turn onto Telephone and you glance at the corner store and see Happy Hooker's jump into cars (or out of) depending what shift they are working. It's the guys dressed as women that are a riot, so obvious. The men paying for this are well over middle aged. She works hard for her money, so hard for her money.

Actually that whole intersection needs to be leveled. This includes the Citgo/Conoco gas station? That store across the street and that whole trailer park dump. Just flatten and leave as a field, anything. New (pricey) townhomes should go right here! Got that Developer's? :D

Don't know if it's still there but there actually used to be two seperate mobile home parks there. The one at the corner of Telephone and Griggs and another one further down Griggs heading away from the freeway. It looked like one but I had friends growing up that lived in each of them. There was a fence between them but someone knocked a hole in it so we could travel back and forth easily. They were pretty run down back then and that was the early seventies. Right next to the one on Griggs was an old grocery store that we used to buy our comics and meat scraps that we used to fish for alligator gar in Braes Bayou with.

If the area along the Gulf freeway between downtown and Loop 610 ever starts developing more than it is now, I predict this will be one of the last places developed. Mainly because the trains that come along there seem to be having a contest with each other over who can blow their whistles the longest and the loudest. Not conducive to gentrification IMO.

However, if the city made an agreement with the RR's like they made for the tracks on the westside, and if the trailer park owners ever decided to sell, that could be some valuable property: a large patch of land near the freeway and just ten minutes from downtown.

Don't know if it's still there but there actually used to be two seperate mobile home parks there. The one at the corner of Telephone and Griggs and another one further down Griggs heading away from the freeway. It looked like one but I had friends growing up that lived in each of them. There was a fence between them but someone knocked a hole in it so we could travel back and forth easily. They were pretty run down back then and that was the early seventies. Right next to the one on Griggs was an old grocery store that we used to buy our comics and meat scraps that we used to fish for alligator gar in Braes Bayou with.

Was the whole area once jammed with mobile home parks? I have an old postcard of the "We Like It" trailer park at 4535 Telephone at Plum Creek.

If the area along the Gulf freeway between downtown and Loop 610 ever starts developing more than it is now, I predict this will be one of the last places developed. Mainly because the trains that come along there seem to be having a contest with each other over who can blow their whistles the longest and the loudest. Not conducive to gentrification IMO.

However, if the city made an agreement with the RR's like they made for the tracks on the westside, and if the trailer park owners ever decided to sell, that could be some valuable property: a large patch of land near the freeway and just ten minutes from downtown.

Great point and all true. The complete removal of all and any large dilapidated cheap apartment complexes is the 1st start, ie that old one directly behind Seller's Grocery Store on the bayou. There were short discussions of this area/Brookline in another EE topic. I know of at least one person that has bought 3 older homes in this very nabe renovated to original state and now lives in one & rents the others. High rent to keep out the vermin. This works, but again the old apts need to go away forever. <_<

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post but if they run the undesirable elements out of there then my little corner of the world will become the next Heights. The house my father lives in (Stillwell St.) is right by that trailer park and I hate to see what will happen when they start raising the property values, enforcing HOA fees and rules, etc. While my primary home is in New Caney, I still stay at my dads' a couple of days a week and one of the things I love is that there are no HOA's. Of course, who wants to see a crack whore everytime you walk to the corner store? I just hate to see this neighborhood become a clump of homogeneous townhomes that are priced WAY out of the league of the struggling artistic types that are in the area.

I know this is an old post but if they run the undesirable elements out of there then my little corner of the world will become the next Heights. The house my father lives in (Stillwell St.) is right by that trailer park and I hate to see what will happen when they start raising the property values, enforcing HOA fees and rules, etc. While my primary home is in New Caney, I still stay at my dads' a couple of days a week and one of the things I love is that there are no HOA's. Of course, who wants to see a crack whore everytime you walk to the corner store? I just hate to see this neighborhood become a clump of homogeneous townhomes that are priced WAY out of the league of the struggling artistic types that are in the area.

I'm definitely sympathetic to this, but I suspect I'm in the minority of people who'd far rather deal with crackwhores than HOAs any day.

• The title was changed to Trailer Park On Telephone Rd.
  • The title was changed to Trailer Park At 6235 Griggs Rd.

Archived